• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Fans Are Ripping The Halo World Championship For Its Shabby Venue

jem0208

The venue, views, and venue are pretty sad, but the narrative that this is 343's, or the tournament organizer's fault has me scratching my head. Halo is on the decline. It's not the big shooter on the block. 343 pours in money, hence a million dollar prize pool, and yet this is the best we get. A bigger venue would just mean more empty seats. The halo community pushing this story are only hurting a community already on the decline. What does this negativity do to improve or grow the scene?

Who knows?

I'm pretty sure some people in the community would like to see Halo completely fail just to spite 343.

I am not too into the whole pro scene...but man this is not a good look.

Honestly I don't think the players on stage or the people on Twitch really give two shits about how nice a venue the few live viewers get.

Halo fans need to learn from FGC fans, especially Smash. You didn't hear about people complaining about the venue. People were just happy to even have a tournament.

Velikost

What? So we should ignore this? The people who are going the hardest in on this are the ones the most invested in this franchise, like me, Cyren etc.

Putting it to attention can only do good things.

Yeah, gonna be great to see that balloon photo posted ad nauseam when Halo 6 comes out.

Good things indeed

t26

Just out of interest:
Microsoft owns a theater in los angeles which they could use without renting cost.

It looks like this

but they picked the one in the OP

Microsoft does not own Microsoft Theater, they only have the naming right.

R aka Bon

The venue looks very small, but it would feel extremely ignorant of me to mock on other aspects of it, as i watched the stream and enjoyed it a lot, and of course didn't notice this issue when watching it from home. Espeically thought the animations were quite funny.

Although that doesn't mean you can't critisize it.

It allegedly hit 80k concurrent viewers when taking all platforms into consideration: http://teambeyond.net/forum/topic/1...s-seeds-and-discussion‏/page-1336#entry924591

IHaveIce

Banned
For people saying, the venue is so small because Halo is on the recline, remember the main area seating tickets were sold out and the comparison to last year.
Everyone who was there last year is still interested in Halo 5..

We are not asking for LoL sized arenas, just for the same one from last year, and not fucking balloon tied to a stone
For new page

Honestly I don't think the players on stage or the people on Twitch really give two shits about how nice a venue the few live viewers get.

Halo fans need to learn from FGC fans, especially Smash. You didn't hear about people complaining about the venue. People were just happy to even have a tournament.
Pros are complaining, Org owners are complaining. The ones investing in this league
Yeah, gonna be great to see that balloon photo posted ad nauseam when Halo 6 comes out.

Good things indeed
That would have happened without this thread.

Microsoft does not own Microsoft Theater, they only have the naming right.
Didn't know that, thanks

Who knows?

I'm pretty sure a fair amount of people in the community would like to see Halo completely fail just to spite 343.

Dunno about this man. When a beloved game series is taken in a direction you don't like, or even hate, and drop the oddball on so many things... People are going to enjoy "hating" on these things.

No one is attacking 343 here, just being realistically amused at how underwhelming this is.

Halo 5 is frequently touted as a good MP experience here man.

You made me bust out laughing while pooping. Now my wife is suspicious.

jem0208

Dunno about this man. When a beloved game series is taken in a direction you don't like, or even hate, and drop the oddball on so many things... People are going to enjoy "hating" on these things.

No one is attacking 343 here, just being realistically amused at how underwhelming this is.

Halo 5 is frequently touted as a good MP experience here man.

I'm not talking about people on here.

IHaveIce

Banned
So, ehm... what kind of stuff did they rent out here?

zbbswtzz7hebelcgmwee.png

This is the ESL HQ I think lmao.

Also yes, please don't get the impression the tournament itself is bad, the stream is superb and the matches are super intense, I love it. But it still needs to be brought up

oti

Banned

Dude, this isn't Smash. This is frigging Halo. And these aren't some early esports days we're talking about. All of this is bad.

jem0208

This is the ESL HQ I think lmao.

Also yes, please don't get the impression the tournament itself is bad, the stream is superb and the matches are super intense, I love it. But it still needs to be brought up

See this is why this whole "controversy" is pissing me off. This event has been amazing for 99.99% of the people watching however it's going to be remembered as the event with balloons and tents outside.

Oh. My bad sir.

No problem dude.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
For people saying, the venue is so small because Halo is on the recline, remember the main area seating tickets were sold out and the comparison to last year.
Everyone who was there last year is still interested in Halo 5..

We are not asking for LoL sized arenas, just for the same one from last year, and not fucking balloon tied to a stone

Looking at the comparison and assuming attendance numbers would be similar, 343 fucked up by limiting potential attendance by DOZENS of viewers...

If people who bought tickets, even 6-12 of them, are getting bumped to a tent, that's really REALLY shitty, but let's not blow this out of proportion. Halo is on the decline, this venue may seat a dozen or two too few spectators, and making a mockery of it sabotages the scene rather than grows it. But memes.

How does the mockery help? All it does is make halo (more of) a joke.

This.

Also, a steady 17k-19k watching online WHICH IS THE MAIN FOCUS. Of course the in-person crowd will be smaller. You guys want there to be an arena or hundreds of comfy chairs?

Jeez.

Aside from the shabby showmanship factor, the important point is that the people involved with the actual tournament -- the pro players -- are having to sit in a tent and participate in this lackluster, depressing tournament space which looks more like a pitch for timeshare condos than a championship for MS's biggest IP. It's great that you can sit in your comfy house watching a stream, but that's not what this thread is about.

Sad when you look back and remember this is the franchise that had a live televised midnight release in New York for Halo 3 back then. The importance of Halo has fallen off a cliff.

Looking at the comparison and assuming attendance numbers would be similar, 343 fucked up by limiting potential attendance by DOZENS of viewers...

If people who bought tickets, even 6-12 of them, are getting bumped to a tent, that's really REALLY shitty, but let's not blow this out of proportion. Halo is on the decline, this venue may seat a dozen or two too few spectators, and making a mockery of it sabotages the scene rather than grows it. But memes.

How does the mockery help? All it does is make halo (more of) a joke.
How is it supposed to get better if nobody complains? If I'm pitching and we're playing at a JV league field where the mound is covered in dog shit you're god damn right I'd bitch and moan about it.

Madness

That's dumb. This isn't their hobby this is their career. If the people organizing this don't see to care about quality and growing the brand then that's their career and bottom line in Jeopardy.

Yup. Its not like they all get a million. Teams outside of top 4 will only get a few thousand. But if you no longer have fans coming to venues to buy jerseys or watch, orgs like Allegiance having recently left, less NA teams meant Evil Geniuses one of the longest Halo orgs was out, declining viewerbase means they need to take jobs rather than dedicate all day to playing or streaming. And someone like Huke is the best young Halo pro sicne Ogre2, he will go back to CoD as soon as he hits 18 because he will have ten times the sponsorship, viewerbase and money. Formal, Enable, Nadeshot, Crimsix, so many Halo pros left to CoD.

IHaveIce

Banned
Aside from the shabby showmanship factor, the important point is that the people involved with the actual tournament -- the pro players -- are having to sit in a tent and participate in this lackluster, depressing tournament space which looks more like a pitch for timeshare condos than a championship for MS's biggest IP. It's great that you can sit in your comfy house watching a stream, but that's not what this thread is about.
Thank you. Exactly.. I mean they flew out players from Europe and now they sit in a tent
Sad when you look back and remember this is the franchise that had a live televised midnight release in New York for Halo 3 back then. The importance of Halo has fallen off a cliff.

Yep, Adam from MLG gave some insight over at Team Beyond how the Halo 3 tournaments were often sold out so early you had to plan months ahead which tournament you would wanna visit and the viewernumbers would be in the multiple hundredthousands

StillEdge

That place isn't as bad as that one photo makes it. That building is the same one that the Gears of War 4 launch party was at. I think it's the ESL headquarters.

Yup. Its not like they all get a million. Teams outside of top 4 will only get a few thousand. But if you no longer have fans coming to venues to buy jerseys or watch, orgs like Allegiance having recently left, less NA teams meant Evil Geniuses one of the longest Halo orgs was out, declining viewerbase means they need to take jobs rather than dedicate all day to playing or streaming. And someone like Huke is the best young Halo pro sicne Ogre2, he will go back to CoD as soon as he hits 18 because he will have ten times the sponsorship, viewerbase and money. Formal, Enable, Nadeshot, Crimsix, so many Halo pros left to CoD.
It's like complaining if the venue the SB was held in was a division 3 college football stadium

Yes, the vast majority of people attending that event are fat cats and special interests. Not fans. The primary method of viewing is still on TV and that doesn't change. But it doesn't mean it's NOT HORRIBLE optics that paint a very very poor image of the community and it's growth and potential.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
How is it supposed to get better if nobody complains? If I'm pitching and we're playing at a JV league field where the mound is covered in dog shit you're god damn right I'd bitch and moan about it.

The problem is this is what the viewership/attendance deserves. Sadly. Mocking it will only decrease interest.

belushy

Banned
From reading the article, it sounds like org that's putting this on had their preferred venue not pan out, so they had to use this as a backup. But yeah, not a great look.

Hmm, if that is the case then that is truly unfortunate, but yeah it still isn't a good look.

jem0208

From reading the article, it sounds like org that's putting this on had their preferred venue not pan out, so they had to use this as a backup. But yeah, not a great look.

That's exactly what Tashi (esports producer/manager/whatever at 343) said happened.

Anyway, everyone should go tune in to the stream now because Str8 just made a comback from around 50 points down to tie the series with Splyce.

Top Bottom