• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: "For Some Players Installing Cuphead Was The Most Challenging Part" (W10/XB1)

NeoRaider

It’s hard to beat a game that you can’t even start.

In a season of limited Microsoft exclusives, the indie platformer Cuphead comes at just the right time to offer Xbox One and Windows 10 players something to get excited about. And after seven long years in development, the game has delivered.

At least for the players who were able to properly download and install it. The issues started Friday when people began reporting on Twitter and Reddit that after purchasing the game they were still unable to download and install it. One person posted their exchange with customer support alluded to an “issue with the purchase and content servers” that would be resolved in a few hours. By Saturday morning, some people were still having the same issue, and varying success with a potential fix discovered by others that involved hard resetting the console and going to the “manage game” section to re-start the installation.

Today, the problems on Xbox One appear to have died down and been replaced by frustration with the Windows 10 version of the game instead. Cuphead is a “play anywhere” game meaning that anyone who purchases it for either Xbox One or through the Microsoft store on PC will get the other version for free. As a number of angry reviews on the Cuphead page reveal, however, many were unable to install the game their either.

To add insult to injury, those who were able to get the game installed encountered a separate issue: a bug that stopped their progress from getting saved. Players would leave the game and then return only to find themselves back at the first level. As one customer review put it, “Love the game, would like to save.”

More: https://kotaku.com/for-some-players-installing-cuphead-was-the-most-challe-1819038058

What a disastrous launch for W10/XB1 players. Many GAFfers were and still are complaining in the OT about various issues with both versions of the game.

Fix your broken Xbox/W10 store MS!

Bsigg12

The Windows 10 Store (I guess it's the Microsoft Store now) is trash.

If you're getting it on PC, get it on Steam or GoG.

For Xbox, there was a service error on Friday.

Gestault

They need to fundementally fix the Windows Store. I've happened to have good luck with my use of it, but at this point, a store with basic functionality issues doesn't deserve to exist, years into its existence at which point it SHOULD have that sort of thing ironed out. Microsoft (apparently) needs pressure to deal with this head-on.

And just an example of the "joys" of some of these implementation: Some people get persistent errors trying to download apps. You're given an error code and a link to report the issues. If you try to click though to do that, you find that it brings you to an app, only available through the Windows Store. So if your issue is downlading/installing apps, you're not able to report the issue because that's handled via a separate app.

That shouldn't be a thing. Like, someone should have thought that through before spending the energy on that "solution."

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I've heard a lot in the main Cuphead thread regarding save corruption or saves not saving everything, so I'm kind of scared to keep going. Is this just the Windows Store version having issues or Steam too?

It just seems like their OS team are constantly restarting or changing things up so much lately that fixing current problems would be a waste of time to them. This issue has come up since the beginning of W10.

MastAndo

Gold Member
As one customer review put it, “Love the game, would like to save.”
Lost progress on a few saves, the first about 7 hours worth when I first started the game. Turns out there's an ALT-Tab bug in the game that StudioMDHR - if you ALT-Tab out, your progress from there isn't saved. Good to know!

I haven't seen a single person complain about installing this game.
I just checked the Cuphead & Xbox sub-reddits and clicked a few pages and didn't see any complaints about installing.

Anyways, like all installing problems on XB1, (this happens often with backwards compatible titles) a hard reset will resolve the problem.

Reallink

It just seems like their OS team are constantly restarting or changing things up so much lately that fixing current problems would be a waste of time to them. This issue has come up since the beginning of W10.

Isn't the windows store still "uncracked"? Seems more likely to be related to the heavy handed DRM and how it distributes the packages (think they're hidden or encrypted or broken into chunks for security).

I just checked the Cuphead & Xbox sub-reddits and clicked a few pages and didn't see any complaints about installing.

Anyways, like all installing problems on XB1, (this happens often with backwards compatible titles) a hard reset will resolve the problem.
There's a thread on GAF. The lengths some people go to try and bury a story is amazing.

Nabs

I've heard a lot in the main Cuphead thread regarding save corruption or saves not saving everything, so I'm kind of scared to keep going. Is this just the Windows Store version having issues or Steam too?

WinStore problem. Steam seems fine.

Camjo-Z

Had no problem installing on Xbone, but I kept getting a "For some reason Cuphead took too long to start" error every time I tried to play it. Took me ages to download all 11 GB the first time but I uninstalled to see if downloading it again makes a difference.

Gestault

And for people who only own an Xbox one?

Aside from launch-day disruption on some downloads (the game was the top Xbox seller on XBL and Amazon, and #Cuphead was trending globally on Twitter for hours), there aren't issues like they're talking about in the article for the Xbox version.

I don’t understand the Xbox one complaints. PC, maybe. Their marketplace there is shocking but I bought my copy on the Xbox store via PC and it automatically downloaded fine.

I know I’m one person but I’d love to see receipts for console install problems myself beyond this initial report.

ghosthouse

Neo Member
I was told that Msoft is doing a complete rewrite of the store apps on both xbox and windows 10 its just taking longer than expected. It really is terrible in its current state though and these problems have been occurring consistently since Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3.

Gestault

I was told that Msoft is doing a complete rewrite of the store apps on both xbox and windows 10 its just taking longer than expected. It really is terrible in its current state though and these problems have been occurring consistently since Gears 4 and Forza Horizon 3.

I'd like to assume this is true, but is this the sort of thing you have an actual source for?

Got it on steam, but have hit several game freezing bugs when in 2 player. Still loving the game, but kinda surprised to see that.

snap

Banned
They need to fundementally fix the Windows Store. I've happened to have good luck with my use of it, but at this point, a store with basic functionality issues doesn't deserve to exist, years into its existence at which point it SHOULD have that sort of thing ironed out. Microsoft (apparently) needs pressure to deal with this head-on.

And just an example of the "joys" of some of these implementation: Some people get persistent errors trying to down apps. You're given an error code and a link to report the issues. If you try to click though to do that, you find that it brings you to an app, only available through the Windows Store. So if your issue is downlading/installing apps, you're not able to report the issue because that's handled via a separate app.

That shouldn't be a thing. Like, someone should have thought that through before spending the energy on that "solution."

If it's the app I'm thinking about (the Feedback app), it's not even worth downloading. Individual issues get drowned out and it doesn't seem like they actually bother to address anything on there.

You know what's really funny, I bought the game on steam day one and played through it. Today, I ended up buying it on Xbox one to play in the other room. I totally forgot cross purchase even existed. But I guess I saved myself a head ache of going through the windows store. Plus the cuphead devs deserve all the sales they can get.

Bsigg12

Yep. People had problems with Quatum Break, Forza, and Gears 4 also. Microsoft doesn't give a fuck about PC gaming.

I'm curious how frustrating the PC store must be for the Xbox team trying to publish games there since they are at the mercy of the Windows 10 content delivery team/ dev team to get it working and viable.

The Windows 10 Store (I guess it's the Microsoft Store now) is trash.

If you're getting it on PC, get it on Steam or GoG.

For Xbox, there was a service error on Friday.

Yep. Never making this same mistake again. I would be livid if my progress was lost at this point

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
There's no reason to ever use the Windows Store, for anything other then a first party game that isn't on Steam.

Nzyme32

Why does it have to be cross buy?

I would rather people support DRM free games on GOG. Why does this need Steam at all?

It isn't needed - that's why you have free choice of where you buy.

Many people choose Steam for lots of reasons, same with GOG. GMG was cheaper, gives the Steam version and I have no issue with that.

Why does it have to be cross buy?

I would rather people support DRM free games on GOG. Why does this need Steam at all?

It's not about it needing to be cross buy, it's about it being that.

I would assume pretty much everyone who has a Cuphead license on the Windows 10 store, are people who have bought the XBOX One version and want to take advantage of the Play Anywhere functionality that they have been promised. And telling to spend more money is not really a good advice to customers, when it's Microsoft who are responsible for getting this to work.

I bought the Winstore version because I had some points I could use to redeem it. Downloaded in less than 30 minutes. Maybe the issues are region based.

Since this game is published by Microsoft, I assumed it wouldn't be available to buy from elsewhere. So that's good news that I assumed wrong.
When there is an alternative, do not ever buy any game from the Windows Store.

Aside from Microsoft's failure to distribute, this is the ideal situation as far as distribution goes. So, I guess, thanks for not fucking this game up for everyone, Microsoft.
It's encouraging that such a small studio was able to negotiate a contract where the game is available in stores like GOG and Steam on the same date as on the Windows Store.
Hopefully no third party developed game will ever be doomed to Windows Store exclusivity.

Kaleinc

Someone still using MS Store?

tenor.gif

Should have studied box art

JbT96ma.png

Top Bottom