• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku has been blacklisted by Bethesda Softworks and Ubisoft

what the fuck. You are not allowed to criticise the game in professional manner?

Neither blacklist is because they panned a game.

Ubisoft is because they leaked Syndicate (and they say in the article that it happened before when they leaked Unity/Rogue as well).

Bethesda is because they leaked Fallout 4 (and probably the whole "Press Sneak Fuck" Prey 2 debacle).

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Disgusting. Fuck Bethesda and fuck Ubisoft both.
"A Price Of Games Journalism"

The horror. You mean now they'll have to do their job without the blessing and support of these big corporations? Like real journalists?
Uh, did you read the article? They're being penalized (denied review copies, requests for comments, etc.) because they act like real journalists instead of lapdogs. The price is that their job as journalists and critics is made more difficult (such as, again, being denied review copies, total silence on requests for comments, interviews etc.).

DorkyMohr

Banned
Odd that it's two publishers that had their games leaked by Kotaku and not someone who actually was reported on for development issues, workplace unfairness, etc. Almost as if Kotaku got blacklisted for being self-serving under the guise of "reporting".

MayMay

Banned

Yeah, especially the second one started a shitstorm about the graphics.

Unity turned out to be one of the prettiest games I've ever seen, but yeah. Leaking those screenshots was a dumb move.

KJRS_1993

I'm 70% sure that Kotaku always maintained it was never a journalist outlet and more of just a "games blog"? Am I thinking of something else?

And on a personal level, if a website kept leaking my shit, I wouldn't do them any favours either. That's not shitty business practice particularly, that's just not wanting to provide content / clicks to people who spoil your stuff.

Edit:
And lots of people defending Kotaku for journalistic integrity and crap. Schreier writes some excellent stuff, and that Destiny article was great, but 90% of its output is "Stephen Totilo - My favourite Waifu".

TI82

Banned
Neither blacklist is because they panned a game.

Ubisoft is because they leaked Syndicate (and they say in the article that it happened before when they leaked Unity/Rogue as well).

Bethesda is because they leaked Fallout 4 (and probably the whole "Press Sneak Fuck" Prey 2 debacle).

Wasn't the Assassins Creed leak from the same Ubisoft employee the past couple years?

Hey if you arent pissing someone off, you probably arent doing your job. :p

"A Price Of Games Journalism"

The horror. You mean now they'll have to do their job without the blessing and support of these big corporations? Like real journalists?

Ah yes, the obligatory shitpost.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hate leaks, they're awful.

If I was working on a game Id want to present it to the public when its ready and not when some dumb Kotaku "journalists" think its ready.

So fuck em, honestly.

Having been part of a team whose worked heavily, devoted and passionately on a project (not a game) only for external reporters go leak it in the most underhanded way under the 'but the fans want to know'! justification, I can't say I disagree here.

NeOak

^

I really don't see what's so wrong about this.

Why would Ubisoft and Bethesda continue a professional relationship with a website that fucks their PR plans over and over? Not to say Kotaku should stop, because they shouldn't, but I also don't expect those companies to continue to help them out.

If you keep biting the hand that feeds you, don't be shocked when it no longer wants to give you free games, I mean food.

So you should only publish what PR tells you to, which them makes you an unofficial extension of that company's PR.

They aren't saying "we don't get games". They are saying that they don't get anything from them, no matter if it's something positive.

Kotaku is more of a tabloid than actual journalism.

They are the only company doing any actual journalism by looking into the stories behind the games and the industry as a whole. Most other sites are just Let's Plays and Review and "OOOOOOOOO FIRST PREVIEW". I'd rather hear whats going on behind the scenes and see critical takes on games and the industry as a whole.

Their embedded journalism structure is a great feature. I don't know why people just want hype journalism.

Curufinwe

Brian Crecente-era Kotaku, yes.

My favorite thing from the Crecente-era: this being used as the sole source for a story.

18j5dwfw4d3q2jpg.jpg

_woLf

If they get the leaks then they should report on them.

However I don't blame the companies for responding in this manner.

Why should they report on them though? What good does it do anyone except Kotaku?

I see no real benefit to reporting a game leak on the scale of Fallout 4's or the countless Assassin's Creed ones other than bringing hits to the website. It gave people access to unfinished documents and footage that is not designed to be seen by the public because it can have a significant effect on someones desire to purchase or play the game.

Leaks and datamining are two of the most depressing things that can happen to a game studio. You want people to be excited for a game when they see it when you want them to -- it'd be like someone snapping a photo of a painting being half-complete and posted all over the place. You're making judgements based on something that is not ready to be judged yet.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Disgusting. Fuck Bethesda and fuck Ubisoft both.

Uh, did you read the article? They're being penalized (denied review copies, requests for comments, etc.) because they act like real journalists instead of lapdogs. The price is that their job as journalists and critics is made more difficult (such as, again, being denied review copies, total silence on requests for comments, interviews etc.).

Why is it on Ubisoft and Bethesda to make Kotaku's job easier on them?

kiguel182

This sucks because Kotaku does a lot of cool work.

If this is related to the Assassin's Creed leaks I can understand but I'm more inclined to believe it's because of their exposes in how bad some companies treat their employers.

Hopefully this won't stop Kotaku from doing that sort of pieces. Even if I'm not the biggest fan of leaking games before they are announced the rest of their work is nothing sort of stellar and we need more of that.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
While it'd certainly be nice to get responses when we ask Bethesda or Ubisoft PR for questions about, say, bugs in their games, or issues at their companies, it's not necessary. We have no plans to change anything in our approach to reporting and serving readers just to make up with publishers that try to make our jobs more difficult.

BTW, our Fallout 4 review, which was published yesterday, eight days after the game's release, based on a copy we bought ourselves, is already at a quarter million pageviews. And growing.

Thanks for the answer, glad to hear it. Keep doing great work, it's appreciated.

I hate this idea that "they leaked stuff so this is okay". So any site that reports on casting of a movie before its announced should be blacklisted? Or a company who reports on the specs of a new Apple device should never be invited to their events (which doesn't happen)? Why is the gaming industry allowed to have different standards?

Emarv

To be clear, we've been blacklisted by both companies. Because we do real reporting and refuse to act as publishers' marketing arms. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Related to this topic: What do you think about the weird distinction between the Games Industry and the Film/TV industry in regards to the secrecy behind projects in development? There can be a lot of secrecy in regards to the content of movies being made, but mainly the film industry is quite open with what projects are being developed or filmed currently. Games feel unique in the Entertainment sector in regards to this.

Why is the Games PR Industry so obsessed with secrecy behind game announcements? Seems unnecessary.

Their Bethesda articles were pretty eye-opening for how shady their business practices were. Good for them for publishing those kinds of stories even though it hurts them monetarily.

To be clear, we've been blacklisted by both companies. Because we do real reporting and refuse to act as publishers' marketing arms. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

Would there be any legal consequences if someone from your company bought a street broken copy of say Fallout 4, beat it, and posted a review before the embargo ends?

Also, do you know how much revenue Kotaku loses out on by not having a review out for a AAA game when the embargo ends?

Nheco

I don't care much for Kotaku, but I couldn't care less for Ubisoft, and Bethesda as fallen from grace to me a long time.

It's good to know that those companies aren't to be trusted.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm not surprised. Yes, sharing and leaking information is great and all, but depending on whats in place, it can cost the publishers a lot of money. Marketing deals in place, a timeline for reveals and such. Then Kotaku wrecks that. When you cost these publishers big money, they revoke your access. It's their right to. It shouldn't stop Kotaku from doing what they want to do, but don't be surprised when you cost people money, they revoke access.

Leaks can wreck relationships.

Not defending, but yeah, I can see this. You mess with their money, you get cut off.

Dantis

It's less because they do 'real reporting' (also, these are video games, let's not aggrandise writing about them to something that actually matters), and more because they leak unannounced projects.

No sympathy from me, boys.

mattp

i bet this stuff happens more and more often, when they've got naive, eager to make it, youtube people to make deals with, instead

blakep267

Eh I don't get all these posts about leaking. If somebody told me tomorrow that a red dead sequel is being made, of course I'd post about it here on this sote( or if I had my own site , write about it). Nothing personal to the developers. It's a newsworthy story in my opinion that would get clicks( which are sites jobs)

Jason, you and your coworkers have my gratitude and support. Keep doing what you're doing, and don't bend to these publishers. Utterly reprehensible behavior from Bethesda and Ubisoft IMO.

Well leaking games before their announced shouldn't be all there is to games journalism, should it? I'd definitely side with Kotaku if this was a Kane & Lynch issue, and they were being blacklisted over negative comments, review scores, indictments of those companies, etc, but for leaks? I mean, that's common sense that you'll ruin relationships that way. I mean, NDAs are signed for a reason, right?

Of course that's not all there is to journalism, but it is certainly a part of it, outside of game journalism too. Government documents that get leaked before reveal and stuff like that.

Personally I can see how publishers do not want "help" journalists that go against their interests. However that also means that they see them as echo chambers purely used for marketing.

At the same time it is stupid and incredibly petty though. It is not like they are deliberately making negative articles or reviews. What the hell are they achieving by blacklisting them? They are still posting news and reviews, but now it is more inconvenient for them.

It just results in a very petty feud.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Why is it on Ubisoft and Bethesda to make Kotaku's job easier on them?
...What?
You think it's cool of corporations to refuse to engage with journalists in all cases, no matter what, and somehow that's the fault of the journalists? Especially if they do engage with the journalists of other media publications but only if they suck up to their PR agenda?

the level of pro-corporatism in gaming is sort of alarming, I don't think other tech industries get to demand this level of secrecy and treat enthusiast press so heavy-handedly.

Not surprised at Bethesda being on there...they have been doing a lot of borderline scummy stuff recently. Last week I found out that an indie game called "Fenix Rage" was forced to change their name because Betheada claimed a video game copyright over the title "Rage" and was forcing them to take it out of their name less they be sued.

dugdug

Banned
I sincerely appreciate Kotaku's previous efforts, but, I fail to see how this article will rebuild any bridges. Unless it's just a power play?

I personally blacklisted Kotaku a few years back after it got really clickbaity and slow, but this is really silly behavior from these big ass companies.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So you should only publish what PR tells you to, which them makes you an unofficial extension of that company's PR.

They aren't saying "we don't get games". They are saying that they don't get anything from them, no matter if it's something positive.

If you want to have a website where you have direct contact with a company, can get early games for review, press kits and all that jazz then you'd probably want to not fuck them over by leaking info about their games.

If you want to have a website where you can leak info early, post things that those companies don't want you to see (which I enjoy, give me more of that type of shit, Kotaku) then don't expect those companies to then help you have more content for your website.

Kotaku wants to have their cake and eat it, too.

Quonny

I don't see the big deal. Bethesda doesn't owe Kotaku anything, and Kotaku doesn't owe Bethesda anything

This should be something Kotaku wants. Now they can be purely transparent and unbiased. But the bitter "because we do real reporting and refuse to act as publishers' marketing arms" quotes make them seem like Kotaku DOES want to have their cake and eat it too.

This part is hilarious because I see it a lot:

I’m sure some people will sympathize with Bethesda and Ubisoft. Some will cheer these companies and hope others follow suit. They will see this kind of reporting as upsetting, as ruining surprises and frustrating creative people. They will claim we are “hurting video games,” and, as so many do, mistake the job of entertainment reporting for the mandate to hype entertainment products.

Top Bottom