• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

omonimo

Banned
Those details sound incredibly vague coming from someone who claims to have possession of over 90 PDFs worth of information. Basically it says there's a clickable touchpad and multiple users can log in at once (exactly like on Xbox).

I am unconvinced, and doubly so given this is Kotaku we're talking about.

It's just about dev kit specs. Dev kit specs are quite notorious from awhile.

better.

but also a whole lot more power sucking and hot. imo you really wouldn't want one in a console.

its fairly reasonable that bd might be in a dev kit and jag in final. same vendor, probably vaguely similar architecture and all that.

could be related to the jaguar cores being difficult to make and having low yields rumor? So they put in bulldozer for temp

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
and is bulldozer the same as jaguar or better?

Bulldozer is actually the predecessor of steamrollers.

Why would they still have that in the latest kit if they were switching to Jaguars? Why not use bobcats instead? Or just easier to put bulldozers in a regular PC box alongside the other components instead of Jags?

AMD R1000, Tahiti GPU Family

Ah OK. That makes sense at least.

kuYuri

I don't play local coop much, but.. can't you do this already?

On a PS3, not with 4 separate accounts at once. At most, I believe you can do two PSN accounts signed in at once and it seems to be a game by game basis. For example, LBP supports only one PSN account for player 1, players 2-4 must use a guest account to play the game and can't sign into their own PSN accounts and earn trophies.

Yeah, I don't know how it will work. It's one of the reasons why I have trouble holding a Vita i.e. to not touch the backpad. Let's see how this works.

If it's on the back, making it click-able could solve accidental problems for games that just want to use it as extra buttons. So potential for extra shoulder button control + capacitive sensing, something I was hoping for.

Those details sound incredibly vague coming from someone who claims to have possession of over 90 PDFs worth of information. Basically it says there's a clickable touchpad and multiple users can log in at once (exactly like on Xbox).

I am unconvinced, and doubly so given that this is Kotaku we're talking about. They don't even specify whether they have the documents or the leaker is feeding them bits of information from them.

such is superdae, ever a giant tease/troll, yet one who seems to dispense just enough nuggets of legit information to keep his trolling credible.

basically i think superdae does have legit dev kits, he just uses them to troll mostly it seems.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The touchpad thing sounds strange if only because they say it's two-point multitouch, whilst Vita's is several point multitouch.

Unless that pad is also, actually, an array of biometric sensors, and it can also be used for tracking touch gestures. One of their biometric-related patents talks about that.

demolitio

Yeah, I don't know how it will work. It's one of the reasons why I have trouble holding a Vita i.e. to not touch the backpad. Let's see how this works.

Yea, but the handles on the controller should help out tremendously there compared to the Vita where people with big hands don't have enough room to hold it without sometimes hitting the pad. Even the normal DS3 handles would give you a lot more room without hitting it.

Not sure if I like the idea or not, but it won't be as intrusive on a controller to me. Basically just gives us more input options in an area where nothing was at anyway. I'll be more interested to see how developers would use that though since there could be some cool ideas for it compared to the 90% of devs that will use it for gimmicks. I could see it being really useful in RTS games which is a genre overlooked on consoles quite often. Obviously not as good as PC controls, but it could at least make console RTS games more comfortable.

That dev kit can totally emulate a ps3.

I hope the console exclusive jaguar implementation holds up.

Also that VRam is the special sauce.(could be EDRAM as suspected by others in the thread)

ghst

thanks for the laugh

Why would they still have that in the latest kit if they were switching to Jaguars? Why not use bobcats instead? Or just easier to put bulldozers in a regular PC box alongside the other components instead of Jags?

bobcats don't play as nicely together as jaguars. the biggest part of the bobcat>jaguar progression is being able to cram more cores on one chip. there are also developer overheads to think about.

Mxrz

The controller could be interesting. Gimmick or not, I would like them to explore some new means of interactivity instead of generic motion controls. There's a lot of room for creativity for things like biometrics and touch-sensitivity. The key would be how well its integrated into the standard controller, and whether it comes at the expense of something else.

Not to mention all the weird shit certain companies will be sure to try.

spwolf

Ah OK. That makes sense at least.

because bulldozer is much closer to steamroller than jaguar and they dont have steamrollers yet?

Also 8 GB + 2 GB in Devkit? 4 GB + 1 GB in real life? Makes a lot more sense than 4 GB GDDR5 to me.

i-Lo

I'll just copy paste what I wrote in the vgleaks thread:

THE NEXT PLAYSTATION, AT A GLANCE

8GB system memory, 2.2GB video memory
4x Dual-Core AMD64 "Bulldozer" CPU, AMD R10xx Liverpool GPU
New controller features touch pad
Can link PSN accounts to controllers, allowing for multiple logins.

How can they say in the article that it's a dev kit and then go on to summarize it as the specs for PS4? Are they not aware that parts of dev kits almost never constitute what is in the retail box? Such blatant attempt to beguile the readers.

uh, nobody but sony knows final specs, all that rumors are is trying to figure it out from old dev kits, and this is new dev kit... which means those rumors are old and this is new... and that jives well with Sony upgrading PS4.

I want to believe (I really do).
It's kotaku though, so el oh el.

They just want clicks

I'll just copy paste what I wrote in the vgleaks thread:

How can they say in the article that it's a dev kit and then go on to summarize it as the specs for PS4? Are they not aware that parts of dev kits almost never constitute what is in the retail box? Such blatant attempt to beguile the readers.

I think the article may have been stealth edited? not sure. I saw aegies telling one of the Kotaku guys over twitter that it was the dev kit specs and not the final specs.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
because bulldozer is much closer to steamroller than jaguar and they dont have steamrollers yet?

Yeah, but they should supposedly be trying to emulate jags, not steamrollers. If the switch to jaguars was correct.

But I guess it's just easier to use something bulldozer-based right now in dev kits. Jaguars aren't around, bobcat is probably hard to integrate into a dev kit per another comment above, etc. etc.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, wait, wait.

Forgive me for just finding out about this, but Sony is going with AMD for their GPU this time?

crabman

Well, there is no 8 core bobcats only 2 core.

DieH@rd

Banned
I dont care about this rumor.

Even if its all true [which I doubt], early PC devkits dont interest me. Too much of their hardware can not represent final console power or architecture.

Wait, wait, wait.

Forgive for just finding out about this, but Sony is going with AMD for their GPU this time?

That is 100% true. It will be AMD APU [CPU and GPU on a single die], same as for Durango, only made with deferent end goals in mind.

Just a big "NO" to that controller rumor please. Dump the DS but dont replace it with that. Go with the split Move controller idea.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Yes, cpu, gpu, on an apu.

What? The CPU is also by AMD? That's...really interesting.

This marks the first generation where all 3 of the major console manufacturers all use GPUs from the same company, right?

What the hell happened to Nvidia? They piss everyone off?

What? The CPU is also by AMD? That's...really interesting.

This marks the first generation where all 3 of the major console manufacturers all use GPUs from the same company, right?

What the hell happened to Nvidia? They piss everyone off?

Nvidia are cocky. AMD are cheaper.

Yeah, but they should supposedly be trying to emulate jags, not steamrollers. If the switch to jaguars was correct.

But I guess it's just easier to use something bulldozer-based right now in dev kits. Jaguars aren't around, bobcat is probably hard to integrate into a dev kit per another comment above, etc. etc.

There is no 8 core bobcat option. If you want an AMD processor which supports 8 threads right now Bulldozer and Piledriver are the only options. They'll use those until they can make kits with final silicon.

Top Bottom