• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku(Jan23): Have official Orbis docs; Devkit: PS4- 8GBRAM,2.2GBVRAM, Controller

GavinGT

Banned
I did. it is still a strange amount of Vram. Not impossible or anything, but memory often comes in 1024mb multipliers. 256, 512, 1024, 2048 etc.

It's as if they read off the value from some shoddy system analysis website (say, systemrequirementslab.com) and it lumped VRAM and some amount of the system RAM together to get that 2.2 GB number. That site tells me I have 4.0 GB of VRAM, which is obviously not the amount of VRAM in my GTX 560 Ti.

I would think any amount of RAM that's not equal to 2^n (n an integer) would be needlessly complicated and would slow down response time if not properly designed around. After all, simplicity favors regularity. And simplicity is a core goal in designing a computer.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Yeah, I don't know how it will work. It's one of the reasons why I have trouble holding a Vita i.e. to not touch the backpad. Let's see how this works.

It won't be a back "tap" anymore, you have to press it in to register as a button click. So that's how the rear touch pad will likely work.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So 8 gigs of ram, not 4, They don't say what kind it is, or would it not matter as the final console would be different?

These are dev kit numbers only. It neither confirms nor denies other rumours about memory...but asides from 2.2GB of VRAM being a weird number, it might be plausibly in line with a system trying to emulate the 4GB of GDDR5 rumoured elsewhere for the final system.

i-Lo

So 8 gigs of ram, not 4, They don't say what kind it is, or would it not matter as the final console would be different?

You have been already confused. Those are the rumoured old specs of the dev kit. It is being perhaps used to simulate 3.5GB (out of 4) GDDR5 RAM plus the overhead that is allotted to make the lives of programmers/debuggers easier.

Touchpad >>>>>> Touchscreen.

I don't get the hate. I am sure it's optional and probably also for OS features (web browser). But, most importantly, it is very cheap.

Just a big "NO" to that controller rumor please. Dump the DS but dont replace it with that. Go with the split Move controller idea.

You mean this abomination?

igo34dg7roj7d.png

s4cmtgjb7.png

LOLL!!!!

Its a PC devkit. I has to have more ram than in final console.

Ok, that's what I thought. Another question... why and how does that work? wouldn't you want it to run the same on the devkit as the console? Do you develop and put it on the console and see how it runs? Ignorant question but I honestly don't know.

You have been already confused. Those are the rumoured old specs of the dev kit. It is being perhaps used to simulate 3.5GB (out of 4) GDDR5 RAM plus the overhead that is allotted to make the lives of programmers/debuggers easier.

Or it could be an old dev kit from when Sony aimed for 2 GB GDDR5 RAM.

Rapstah

Ok, that's what I thought. Another question... why and how does that work? wouldn't you want it to run the same on the devkit as the console? Do you develop and put it on the console and see how it runs? Ignorant question but I honestly don't know.

Games run separately, or at the very least there's ways to make them run separately.

c'mon vgleaks give us something!

Also they clam to have access to a 90 pages tech doc and this is all we got?

I guess some of these docs are customized for each dev to make it possible to identify them if something leaks, eg. certain values or even layout etc., which can make it hard to anonymize it. At least that's what I would do.

i-Lo

Gemüsepizza;46805694 said:
Or it could be an old dev kit from when Sony aimed for 2 GB GDDR5 RAM.

Highly unlikely given the ratio of ram in the dev kit to retail box. It's generally around 2:1 and that would be around 5:1

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Gemüsepizza;46805811 said:
I guess some of these docs are customized for each dev to make it possible to identify them, eg. certain values or even layout etc., which can make it hard to anonymize it. At least that's what I would do.

Would be funny if that's where the 'weird' 2.2GB came from. Or not so funny, depending on your pov :/

DieH@rd

Banned

You need more ram, because on Devkit you have to run both game and diagnostic software, asset creation software and other additional stuff. Also Devkit runs on Windows/Linux [more "wasted" ram]. :D

GavinGT

Banned
Gemüsepizza;46805811 said:
I guess some of these docs are customized for each dev to make it possible to identify them if something leaks, eg. certain values or even layout etc., which can make it hard to anonymize it. At least that's what I would do.

That would be a new low for Sony's console documentation. I really doubt they'd lie about specs to developers, especially when something like the amount of VRAM can be so easily verified in multiple ways.

i-Lo

Gemüsepizza;46805925 said:
Hm, it could be just a normal PC with a 2 GB GPU (GDDR5) and 8 GB DDR3 RAM which serves as early dev kit?

Yes, that does make more sense. I was looking at it purely from the perspective of ratio and it was indeed a narrow PoV.

That would be a new low for Sony's console documentation. I really doubt they'd lie about specs to developers, especially when something like the amount of VRAM can be so easily verified in multiple ways.

Hm, I guess they wouldn't lie about something so obvious like RAM. But this TFLOPS figure could be different, I always wondered why it was so "exact". 1.83 TFLOPS for Electronic Arts, 1.84 TFLOPS for Ubisoft, 1.82 TFLOPS for Square Enix, of course it could be completely false and they did not use such a method at all, just a crazy theory.

GavinGT

Banned
In what world does 2.2 GB = 2 GB? Adding that extra .2 GB of RAM would be a needlessly complicated endeavor. It would require all sorts of funky multiplexing and there's just no reason for it.

The most likely explanation is that Kotaku is just being Kotaku once again.

Can't think of any for games, but it would be nice for lists and as a touchpad for web browser.

simple. it makes cheap touch based games (from words with friends to fruit ninja etc) playable o ps4. buy one of these games for a dollar or two, and port it between the ps4 and the vita when you're on the go.

Touch pad on the controller would be interesting.

However, I wonder what the size of the controller will be to support that. Will it be as large as the PS Vita?

Also, I'm not a PS3 owner, but can you really not have multiple people logged in and earning trophies currently?? I'm surprised I didn't hear about this before... I'm glad they're adding that, but it just seems like something they should have done years ago. I'm pretty sure 360 has supported that since its launch.

Mrbob

No one cares about the Vita back touch panel. Something is lost in translation. Why would there be something no one wants but in an inferior fashion (2 point on PS4 vs multi touch on Vita)?

I think the back being a biometric sensor of sorts sounds more likely.

In what world does 2.2 GB = 2 GB? Adding that extra .2 GB of RAM would be a needlessly complicated endeavor. It would require all sorts of funky multiplexing and there's just no reason for it.

The most likely explanation is that Kotaku is just being Kotaku once again.

Rounding up from,2,147,483,648 probably, lol
I still don't get why people care what's in the devkit when we've heard seemingly reliable info on what will be in the console.
Controller and account info is much more useful imo

Zzoram

So the PS4 is going to be better than the Xbox720 in every spec now? Equal RAM and CPU cores, but better RAM and faster CPU cores.

It is really getting too much to handle. Every day a rand site comes up with something new

yeah. one day it's jaguar + 4gb gddr5 then the next day it's bulldozer + split memory.

it's so much to follow, but i love it. it's a pain to get a grip on which is going to be correct, but it's also the thrill of not knowing and being so genuinely excited for next gen that any little news you see puts you in line to buy a ticket to board the hype train.

i gotta say though, the specs of this dev kit sounds pretty awesome.

Top Bottom