• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku - Journey To The Savage Planet Is Fun, But Please Stop Using That Word

Another word Kotaku has deemed bad for us to use, savage, cos it's got a racist history.../rolls eyes

What word?
Edit: Lol Savage?
And toss your perfume while you're at it !!!1!!1!

375x500.231.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Had to Google him after skimming that drivel, but yeah, he looks exactly like how you would imagine a white guy with that voice lecturing his audience on "racism" would look. His self-proclaimed "hip hip connoisseur" status and use of the Draw 25 Uno meme with the black dude in the image is just the icing on the cake.

Last edited by a moderator:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
"anything that indicates a hierarchy must be destroyed"

one can recognize the bad history of the word "Savage" while not using it irresponsibly. it would be better to just educate people and go along. but no, this requires faith in people to do the right thing. we can't have that. have to ban words instead. police the world.

im sorry that you feel bad about this game where you shoot people in the head for 30 hours. because someone used the wrong word. yeah.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
at first i thought they were talking about this:
5ee2aba38f3b768e69f8fc4a17fb8429.jpg

oof i just went to Kotaku. it is looking dire. they fired a whole bunch of people lately (RIP Gita Jackson i liked you!) and it looks like the article sizes have been cut in half. and the top story is this! lol and it is a video. Kotaku on it's last legs imo. they will get more and more desperate w this stuff as they die out.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
What. The. Actual. Flying. Fuck.

(If you're on another forum pretend those punctuations are claphand emojis)

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Another word Kotaku has deemed bad for us to use, savage, cos it's got a racist history.../rolls eyes
Instructions unclear, I'm now unable to type the word "Moiiii-yaya"....ahem..."Mois-hakalaka"

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Welcome to current_year...

We all misspeak or misuse words sometimes. Maybe we’ve latched onto phrases our parents handed down incorrectly. Or perhaps we picked them up from a movie, television, or social media with no clue they were being used inappropriately—or even worse, offensively.

It’s OK; most of us unknowingly use problematic words and phrases from time to time without thinking about their origins or how they could hurt some groups of people. What’s not OK is to keep doing it once you know it’s wrong.

There are plenty of words out there to choose from in the, ahem, dictionary. But, to help narrow it down, we rounded up some commonly misused words and phrases that have the potential to offend.

We’re not going to leave you verbally high and dry either. We’re providing some better alternatives for each. Take a look and see how many you may be misusing.

Spirit animal
Beyond mere animals, today people claim their spirit animal to be everything from avocado toast to the movie Deadpool. They mean to imply that they relate with something or deeply love something. But using the term spirit animal in such a way is not only overdone, it’s also offensive.

The problem is that spirit animals are an important part of the belief system of some cultures and refer to a spirit that “helps guide or protect a person on a journey and whose characteristics that person shares or embodies.” Referring to Baby Yoda as your spirit animal is actually cultural appropriation, so next time you go to type this on social media, try one of these fun synonyms instead.

Better alternatives:

Sherpa
If you don’t hail from Tibetan stock and live in the Nepalese Himalayas serving as a porter on mountain-climbing expeditions (yes, we know, that was very specific), you’re not a Sherpa. Nope, not even if you lead your friends to the best burrito spot at 2 a.m. or help your roommate pass their chemistry test.

Sherpa is actually an ethnic group and attributing the title to others is disrespectful.

Better alternatives:

• She is the strong commander our study group needs.
  • I will be your guide to the best dive restaurants.
  • I need a coach to help improve my dating game.
  • She was the mastermind of all of our weekend activities.
Guru
Guru is used in a similar way as Sherpa to refer to someone who’s good at something or an expert in a subject matter.

The word guru, however, comes from Buddhist and Hindu religions and refers to a spiritual guide or leader who is held in high esteem. Throwing the term around casually—as in referring to yourself as a marketing/love/business guru—is disrespectful because it diminishes the importance of the title and its origins.

Better alternatives:

• They are a doyen in the marketing world.
  • I have learned so much from my uncle, who is a virtuoso in the kitchen.
  • I am an authority when it comes to raising puppies right.
  • The mechanic is truly skilled; he is a maestro.
Ninja
Yep, cultural appropriation is the issue again with the word ninja. The term’s origins refer to “a member of a feudal Japanese society of mercenary agents, highly trained in martial arts and stealth (ninjutsu), who were hired for covert purposes ranging from espionage to sabotage and assassination.”

Yet few who throw the word around today pay any regard to the original culture and context of the word. Much like guru, people use the term to claim expertise in an area, such as legal ninja or writing ninja, and the concern is that the word’s origins aren’t being respected in such cases.

Better alternatives:

Last edited:
But he is not wrong, you know...
Instead of joying the mob here I went to watch the video and it's a good video. He isn't denouncing the game for using the world, he talked with the developer last year and they're clear. But the event made he think and he took the opportunity to talk about this subject. And liking you to recognize this or not, "Extermination and Re-Education" of "savages" is not only something very, very recent, it's something that is still happening today in parts of the world.

Good to know, never bad to learn something, right?

Top Bottom