• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Making A South Park Game Is Harder Than You'd Think

So this basically went GAF->Kotaku->GAF

Last week, a poster on the message board NeoGAF asked why South Park: The Fractured But Whole was taking so long to develop. After all, isn't 2D easy to draw? ”First and foremost," the poster wrote, ”the game uses the same graphical style as the show. Which is probably the easiest to make." Well, my dear Mousnis, making a crummy-looking 2D game can be complicated.

The new South Park game, which comes out in October, has been in development for nearly three years. The developers at Ubisoft San Francisco have already delayed it at least once (from last December) and while the process has been smoother than the last game, Obsidian's Stick of Truth, it's still enormously complicated.

More at the link.

Thread by Mousnis mentioned in the article

My favorite bit:

Jason Schreier: I actually saw someone on the internet today—and you know people on the Internet are very nice—

Jason Schroeder: They are. They're actually very well-informed.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I remember how Trey and Matt talked about how hard the first one was running up to it's release.

aBarreras

20 seasons of this show have taught me to not care about any dates they put out and be happy knowing itll be good at WORST whenever i get some south park

"Developers from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and More Tell Why a 7-Year IP Isn't As Plausible As You Think"
"Nomura on Kingdom Hearts Spoilers: 'Honestly, Did Anyone Really Think We'd Kill Goofy?'"
"We Asked the Splatoon 2 Developers About People Who Think It's a Port And They Laughed"

Those headlines are free, Jason.

Jason Schreier: I actually saw someone on the internet today—and you know people on the Internet are very nice—

Jason Schroeder: They are. They’re actually very well-informed.

I kept asking myself why did you put 2 quotes by the press sneak-fuck there. It took me a while to realize it's Schreier and Schroeder.

wrowa

What I want to know is why not Obsidian again? Why the new development team?

Most publishers generally prefer putting their own internal teams on a project over contracting an independent studio. Keep in mind that Stick of Truth originally started at THQ before getting passed over to Ubisoft after THQ's demise.

Anything 2D that requires it to be touched up by hand for each frame is a lot of work. Kids these days don't know the crazy amount of time it took for Disney movies back in the day

ryseing

"Developers from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, and More Tell Why a 7-Year IP Isn't As Plausible As You Think"
"Nomura on Kingdom Hearts Spoilers: 'Honestly, Did Anyone Really Think We'd Kill Goofy?'"
"We Asked the Splatoon 2 Developers About People Who Think It's a Port And They Laughed"

Those headlines are free, Jason.

I'm looking forward to PSF's book, but not gonna lie, I would love for his next one to be entirely articles like those.

The ignorance in the original guys post is astounding.

A classic example of somebody attempting to comment on something they have literally no idea about.

Modoru

I didn't know you could make articles based off of random internet user's misinformation. I think I just found my new way of making a living.

Time to make momma proud.

Falchion

I would think it would be tougher because they can't create their own art style that might be easier to implement, they have to exactly match the aesthetic of a show and all its movements and nuisances.

I imagine art assets are simple (when compared to full 3D titles) to make.

Everything else, writing, scripting, animation, level design, encounter design, voicework, etc... That stuff takes time.

I didn't know you could make articles based off of random internet user's misinformation. I think I just found my new way of making a living.

Time to make momma proud.

The silver lining to Mousnis' economy-size L delivery is that the point of the article is "hey, why DOES it take so long to make a South Park game, anyway?"

Journalists should be *really* careful about calling out others on this. (Source: being a theoretical physicist and wanting to gouge my eyes out any time a games journalist talks about "The Science of X".)

Linkura

I would think it would be tougher because they can't create their own art style that might be easier to implement, they have to exactly match the aesthetic of a show and all its movements and nuisances.

You know, they could just not give a shit like the early South Park games.... ;)

Jason you should at least take Mousnis to the TGI Fridays around the corner, because he likes to at least get wined and dined before he gets fucked.

dankest south park references

Top Bottom