• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Meet The Head Transplant Doctor at The Centre of a MGS Conspiracy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

Thats weird. Didn't know that.

I guess you spoke too soon.

If the fellow with the illness has given consent for this, or is in on it in any capacity, I don't think it's tasteless. I know I'd want my condition and possible future cures to be front and center on the world stage if it could change minds and affect future generations. You need to stop thinking this is purely about MGSV advertising because quite frankly I think Kojima is over trying to popularize the franchise. Why not use the franchise to popularize ideas that are important to him?

I want all this just to be an elaborate ruse just so we can solidify Kojima as the all time greatest genius of the 21st century.

Please do so, your constant whining about that oh so terrible fanbase gets annoying.

I'll let you and those who started this mess enjoying sharing theories together.

DeeOyem.gif

ilium

If the fellow with the illness has given consent for this, or is in on it in any capacity, I don't think it's tasteless. I know I'd want my condition and possible future cures to be front and center on the world stage if it could change minds and affect future generations. You need to stop thinking this is purely about MGSV advertising because quite frankly I think Kojima is over trying to popularize the franchise. Why not use the franchise to popularize ideas that are important to him?

Exactly.
The driving force behind social change in any capacity is public discourse.
And what would generate more headlines and get the discourse going than an insane PR stunt by a terminal ill man, a seemingly mad doctor and a game that will sell millions.

No, an exception to the rule doesn't change my mind. Cannavaro has already had his time in the spotlight, I guess you missed all the news stories about him and his patient. I think you're really overstating the cultural impact of a metal gear game. I'm actually not sure if you're trolling me.

Exactly.
The driving force behind social change in any capacity is public discourse.
And what would generate more headlines and get the discourse going than an insane PR stunt by a terminal ill man, a seemingly mad doctor and a game that will sell millions.

I give up. You guys are insane.

Houndi101

inb4 the doctor wheels out a patient with a bandaged head with him on Italian television
He starts removing the bandages and
it's Hayter
in Kiefer Sutherlands body

DarkKyo

I think you're really overstating the cultural impact of a metal gear game. I'm actually not sure if you're trolling me.

Yeah video games aren't an integral part of pop culture or anything. It's not like Japanese youth would ever play an MGS game, right? I bet nobody in Japan even knows who Kojima is. Only GAF.

Alright I'm done being sarcastic. I guess only time will tell.

ilium

No, an exception to the rule doesn't change my mind. Cannavaro has already had his time in the spotlight, I guess you missed all the news stories about him and his patient. I think you're really overstating the cultural impact of a metal gear game. I'm actually not sure if you're trolling me.

I give up. You guys are insane.

I think you need to realize that videogames don't exist in a social or cultural vacuum.
They are an increasingly part of our culture and will continue to drive public discourse.
If Kojima tweets about tackling a taboo with his next game and we have a doctor that wants to conduct a head transplantation (which is a taboo in Japan), well then it's no suprise that some people connect some dots.

I'm not saying it's real, but it's not that big of a stretch as some of you think.

I think you need to realize that videogames don't exist in a social or cultural vacuum.
They are an increasingly part of our culture and will continue to drive public discourse.
If Kojima tweets about tackling a taboo with his next game and we have a doctor that wants to conduct a head transplantation (which is a taboo in Japan), well then it's no suprise that some people connect some dots.

I'm not saying it's real, but it's not that big of a stretch as some of you think.

A head transplant is taboo because it's currently impossible. Promoting some nutcase who thinks he can glue someones head onto another body would be a really misguided way to tackle this supposed anti transplant issue in Japan. It's not impossible, sure, but it really does seem like a stretch to me.

ilium

A head transplant is taboo because it's currently impossible. Promoting some nutcase who thinks he can glue someones head onto another body would be a really misguided way to tackle this supposed anti transplant issue in Japan. It's not impossible, sure, but it really does seem like a stretch to me.

I think I worded my post in a way that was easy to misunderstand. I didn't mean only head transplants are taboo but organ transplants in general are a taboo in japan. That's a fact you can verify yourself by doing some simple research.

ilium

Tell me more.

You people are even more lazy than i am.

Organ Donation in Japan: A Medical Anthropological Study

Organ Donation in Japan: A Medical Anthropological Study by Maria-Keiko Yasuoka reveals insight into Japan as the country with the most severe organ shortages and the lowest numbers of organ donations among medically advanced countries. The history of organ transplantation in Japan is a unique and troubled one. Many academic hypotheses such as cultural barriers, the Japanese concept of the dead body, traditional beliefs, and so on have been advanced to explain the situation. However, little research has yet revealed the truth behind the world of Japanese organ transplantation. Yasuoka conducts direct interview research with Japanese concerned parties in regards to organ transplantation (including transplant surgeons, recipients, and donor families). In this book, she analyzes their narrative responses, considering their distinctive ideas, interpretations, and dilemmas, and sheds light on the real reasons behind the issues. Organ Donation in Japan is the first book to delve into the challenging and taboo Japanese concepts of life and death surrounding organ transplantation by thoroughly presenting and investigating the narratives of concerned parties.

In Japan there is considerable cultural resistance to organ transplantation, with the result that Japanese must go abroad to receive an organ transplantation. Politicians as of 1997 were reluctant to pass a law permitting transplants in Japan. The country does not yet give brain death any legal status; a stopped heart is the Japanese definition of death, and this effectively prevents transplants of organs for which the heart must still be beating at the time of transplantation, namely the heart, lung and liver.

I think I worded my post in a way that was easy to misunderstand. I didn't mean only head transplants are taboo but organ transplants in general are a taboo in japan. That's a fact you can verify yourself by doing some simple research.

I got that I just don't see the connection between a theoretical head transplant and other proven transplants. He's been described as a real life Dr Frankenstein. I can't think of anyone worse to use to promote transplants. Maybe the doctor from Human Centipede?

ilium

I got that I just don't see the connection between a theoretical head transplant and other proven transplants. He's been described as a real life Dr Frankenstein. I can't think of anyone worse to use to promote transplants. Maybe the doctor from Human Centipede?

It would draw attention to the issue.

Touch

MGS never disappoints when it comes to fucking insane shit happening before release. I mean this shit has to be scripted right?....right? I mean what the fuck.

So remember when the whole rumor came out that the budget for mgs v won't have enough for marketing? Perhaps all this is just to be a viral means of marketing, less expensive that way.

I still do not understand the significance of this doctors cameo in the game and why people should get hyped about it or not...

Error1355

Wait, this isn't over yet?

There is still a chance this doctor is somehow related?

Or is the fact that I am just a crazy MGS fan who loves the crazy pre-release conspiracies that comes up and hopes this goes into absurd levels of nutty.

RavenH2

It's just absurd and completely delusional, when we are talking about a real, peer reviewed paper about the whole HEAVEN (Head Anastomosis Venture Project) procedure.

http://www.surgicalneurologyint.com...4;issue=2;spage=335;epage=342;aulast=Canavero

Not to add to the madness or anything, but his papper is dated 29th of March 2013, and according to some articles on the web the trial was to be conducted sometime before 2017.

Now, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain was formally announced on March the 27th 2013.

Perhaps it's all just a coincidence. Or maybe not. Don't really know, but I can understand those who see theories (I wish just as much as them, that the whole "Konami fired Kojima" turns out to be a PR Stunt); and also those who don't.

This wouldn't be the first time it's been done either.

Jorge Luis Borges created reality whithin fiction, and fiction within reality in literature by quoting non-existant sources that nobody dared to question in the real world. Harold Bloom explains with amusing detail how he became part of the canon of literature, not only because of his writings, but because of his use of culture to spread ideas (both true and false)

Kev Kev

Wait, this isn't over yet?

There is still a chance this doctor is somehow related?

Or is the fact that I am just a crazy MGS fan who loves the crazy pre-release conspiracies that comes up and hopes this goes into absurd levels of nutty.

Likely the latter.

However, the coincidences are insane. If all of this turns out o be just a bunch a fanboys going nuts about absolutely fucking nothing, I will still look back and say that it was one of the biggest cases of a series of pure coincidences I've ever seen make head line news.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Ok this is seriously starting to piss me off.

Quit playing games with my heart Kojima... Err, Canavero... GOD, FUCK, what is happening!?

People are being taken for a ride for free publicity. They played you like a damn fiddle.

Risev1

In other MGS-related news, no one from Konami / KojiPro showed up to receive awards for MGS / PT in Famitsu's Award Ceremony.

Doubt any of this is a ruse / viral-marketing campaign.

feli

"Update: As promised, Doctor Canavero reached us again via mail to let us know that his interview will be aired by Italia 1. Unfortunately we don’t have any information about the hour and the program in which he will appear, so stay tuned for all the updates that will follow."

about half an hour ago Hideo Kojima tweeted this picture on his english twitter,

08Mkvhu.jpg

Hideo of twitter: "I like movies. Do you like movies? Here's more tweets about movies."

rabid fanboy: " OHMYGASH!! MORE HIDEO VIRAL MARKETAHGHHGGG@*&^ABLA%$$%# ^%G%$#^%$#&!!!!!!" *explodes*

Mr. RHC

I think I need a break.. I can't take this ride anymore..

A few more of those coincidences and I'm finished.. and I've seen some Metal Gear related sh!t (I'm an expert), I think Konami shot themselves in the foot.

giphy.gif

AESplusF

It's funny reading something like this. People always get offended when anyone so much as talks about GAF as if it's a single entity, running for the "GAF is not a hivemind!" line, and then proceed to tar Reddit/IGN/GameFAQs/etc. in the same brush.

What's funnier is that if something was done that reflects positively on the community, everyone has no problem acting as if all of GAF did it ("Good going GAF!", "That NeoGAF shoutout!").

As for this whole Circus of Stupid Part Whatever that's happening right now, congrats GAF. Maybe Cliff Bleszinski was right in that tweet after all.

Why take it so seriously? Unless you are just admiring the irony.

Neiteio

They changed the gif? I swear my top-of-the-page post was referring to a gif of Jesse's girlfriend from the second season of Breaking Bad. Now it's Judge Judy.
Still hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom