• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: NBA 2K18 is Riddled with Microtransactions

megalowho

This seems acceptable to me.

Or maybe someone could explain how it would impact an average joe just taking his or her favorite squad through a season, which is how I typically play sports games (when I do) and how I envision most of everybody else doing it.

If I'm trying to take the Celtics to the 2018 championship, does this get in my way?
VC is 100% required for GM/season mode, if that's what you mean. Player morale is boosted by one-time use encouragements, you get a couple then they cost VC. Morale can drop without warning for all sorts of reasons - playing time, trade rumors, you break a promise, etc. Same for staff morale. You have to interact with the system to run a high performing team.

More impactfully, at the end of a season when it comes time for training camp, once the couple of free camps are exhausted sending a player to camp costs a decent chunk of VC. You can easily spend it all on just one year, then next year be stuck unable to improve your team without paying up.

That's probably the least invasive mode for VC, and it still sucks. Was even worse when it was first implemented in MyGM, almost unplayable without paying.

Microtransactions are ruining gaming at this point. I'm kinda hoping a crash in gaming happens now to show the utter disgust so many of us feel about them.

specdot

The crazy thing is a lot of people I know have no issues with currency... wanna know why? Cause all they play is cod and 2k year around. So all their income goes into that and I'm sure plenty of people are like that.

For the record not defending this type of business but 2k isn't even stressing this.. so they ain't gonna bother responding to Kotaku or anyone for that matter.
And this is why 2K, along with other companies will keep doing this. The games as service/"pay-to-win" model works for popular franchises. Us on Gaf who play these games, and are opposed to this trash, are unfortunately in the minority.

Microtransactions are ruining gaming at this point. I'm kinda hoping a crash in gaming happens now to show the utter disgust so many of us feel about them.

Yep. I think I'm gonna boycott any games in the future with invasive microtransactions. Cosmetic purchases like Titanfall 2 and PoE are the right way to do it. Or legitimate expansion DLC like The Witcher 3 and classic CRPGs.

Bread

Banned
VC is 100% required for GM/season mode, if that's what you mean. Player morale is boosted by one-time use encouragements, you get a couple then they cost VC. Morale can drop without warning for all sorts of reasons - playing time, trade rumors, you break a promise, etc. Same for staff morale. You have to interact with the system to run a high performing team.

More impactfully, at the end of a season when it comes time for training camp, once the couple of free camps are exhausted sending a player to camp costs a decent chunk of VC. You can easily spend it all on just one year, then next year be stuck unable to improve your team without paying up.

That's probably the least invasive mode for VC, and it still sucks. Was even worse when it was first implemented in MyGM, almost unplayable without paying.
I'm sorry but this is complete bullshit. VC is not required at all for franchise modes. Player morale? Training camps? Useless. If you want to just control the Celtics, play some games, make some trades, free agency, draft, you never need VC.

It really does suck if you enjoy 2k. They have a good game, but VC is just ridiculous. I don't buy it every year, but VC is seriously turning me off of it more and more. 2k11 was great, yes it was a bit frustrating trying to get skill points for my Carreer, but at the same time it didn't take a long amount of time to get to a 90+ rating and I didn't feel like 2k was preying on me. The last time I really played was 2k16 and the sheer amount of games I had to play to get my rating to an 89, which is where you're capped until you can do some stupid challenges or something.

Is it that hard to just give us a career mode where we don't have to spend weeks months just to get a decent player if we don't want to spend money on top of a $60 release? I just want a game I can enjoy

ViciousDS

Banned
GGOOOOOOOODDDDD GOOOOOOOOODDDDD
'

hope more outlets call out the complete fucking bullshit.

There is a reason why we are using the VC trick atm to get our characters up to enjoy the game. #fFuckVC

This is what happens when dev costs are high and game prices are too cheap
This is what happens when a very popular franchise has tons of users willing and wanting to pay for VC.
GGOOOOOOOODDDDD GOOOOOOOOODDDDD
'

hope more outlets call out the complete fucking bullshit.

There is a reason why we are using the VC trick atm to get our characters up to enjoy the game. #fFuckVC
You still bought the game even though you feel this way? lol

megalowho

I'm sorry but this is complete bullshit. VC is not required at all for franchise modes. Player morale? Training camps? Useless. If you want to just control the Celtics, play some games, make some trades, free agency, draft, you never need VC.
Hard disagree, espeically if you're trying to play multiple seasons. The training camps alone are incredibly meaningful if you're trying to build up young players to their potential.

No they wouldn't. People prefer 2K by a landslide.

I've preferred 2K to Live for over 12 years. Since NBA 2K10, I've strictly played 2K games for the MyCareer mode.

With NBA 2K18 deleting my save after I dished out $40 in VC (like an idiot), I picked up Live with the quickness since the demo was surprisingly solid. In terms of gameplay, 2K is still the better game, but Live has closed the gap a bit and its version of MyCareer (The One) is vastly superior to 2K's.

Hard disagree, espeically if you're trying to play multiple seasons. The training camps alone are incredibly meaningful if you're trying to build up young players to their potential.

Was about to say, if you're drafting guys the only way to make them better is with these camps. Plus your hamstrung with scouting if you don't have VC.

styl3s

Look at how much mobile games are making and console games are making through mico transactions. They aren't going anywhere.

GTA has sold an astronomical amount of shark cards. Madden and Fifa make ridiculous amounts of money off their cards.

MisterR

If streaming numbers are indication... right now twitch has 11 streams up for live 18, with <30 viewers per stream (most are somewhere around 6).

2k18 has much more, with the most watched at 3.8k.

Not too well is my guess.

It's hard as hell to break though in a genre when you're not the big dog. PES has been a much better game on the pitch than FIFA the last few years, but gamers are tribal.

Bread

Banned
They are useful, not necessary. Besides, he asked if this would effect him trying to bring the Celtics to the 2018 championship, not 2028.

I've been playing 2k franchise modes for years and have never had an issue with only 1 or 2 training camps per offseason.

I've preferred 2K to Live for over 12 years. Since NBA 2K10, I've strictly played 2K games for the MyCareer mode.

With NBA 2K18 deleting my save after I dished out $40 in VC (like an idiot), I picked up Live with the quickness since the demo was surprisingly solid. In terms of gameplay, 2K is still the better game, but Live has closed the gap a bit and its version of MyCareer (The One) is vastly superior to 2K's.
This may be true but it would take something unforeseen for Live to ever regain a significant foothold or to eat in to 2K's ironclad grip on the sport at this point. 2K would have to lose the NBPA's license or something.

Why should a player expect to improve from 60 OVR to 90 OVR overnight? It takes a lot of dedication and effort (aka "grinding") to improve as a basketball player in real life why shouldn't it take a couple seasons in 2K?

Courage

Why should a player expect to improve from 60 OVR to 90 OVR overnight? It takes a lot of dedication and effort (aka "grinding") to improve as a basketball player in real life why shouldn't it take a couple seasons in 2K?

Can real life players buy points to upgrade their stats in real life and affect their performance...

...wait a minute is this elaborate metacommentary about PEDs?

Kintaco

Have a pre-order for the Switch because I wanted to support 3rd party sports games, but reading this makes me want to cancel it.

I remember back in the day thinking of all the great things online would bring to games, but fuck these companies twisted that vision horribly. Shipping incomplete or buggy ass games because they can be patched, charging for online gaming, and now microtransactions on full price games. So depressing.

The issue is that if you want to use your player in an online space and be competitive, you basically need to pay to keep up with the Joneses.

Because leveling up in real life sucks.

Games should enhance the tedious aspects of life.

Who would be willing to play 240 games of 2K so that their character is finally good.

They are useful, not necessary. Besides, he asked if this would effect him trying to bring the Celtics to the 2018 championship, not 2028.

I've been playing 2k franchise modes for years and have never had an issue with only 1 or 2 training camps per offseason.

Me niether. If you want to develop players and feel it's extremely sluggish, just turn up the progression slider. Or your training settings are wrong.

VC has minimal effect in the franchise modes.

Dominator

When I used to work at GameStop, for the midnight release of this game, people would spend hundreds.

Buy the $99.99 version of the game, spend another $200 on VC points. I only remember last year mainly because so many people did that. At least 10+, and they were happy to do it.

Okay, this is being fucking overdramatic.

Gaming is better than it's ever been. There are more quality titles to play than anyone has time for, and games of all sizes and budgets for a gamer of every kind.

Oh but no a handful of games abusing in-game purchases are ruining all of gaming? Fuck off with that nonsense. The crash you desire would ensure that thousands at minimum would lose their damn jobs, how great does that fucking sound because three games or something were assholes with their digital add-ons?

Just a reminder of the OpenIV debacle with GTA V, where Take Two attempted to kill a modding community because they're a bunch of greedy fucks, and having the best-selling game of all time, coupled with insidious microtransactions wasn't even enough for them. They're one of the sleaziest publishers out there.

Kill3r7

They already do. And the transactions get worse.

As far as I know, they are not as successful which is problematic when you account for the fact that NBA2K is a bigger franchise than Madden. That was my point. They need to find that steady source of revenue.

Because leveling up in real life sucks.

Games should enhance the tedious aspects of life.

Who would be willing to play 240 games of 2K so that their character is finally good.

If you wouldn't find enjoyment in playing 240 games of 2K offline then you shouldn't buy the game in the first place, you clearly don't think that the gameplay is fun.

Kintaco

I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue if it weren't artificially made grindy to encourage buying VC. If there was no option to buy VC with real money, there is no incentive to make too grindy. Personally I use to like creating myself and family and friends for various teams. I didn't want to make it a job to make them halfway decent.

Bread

Banned
Me niether. If you want to develop players and feel it's extremely sluggish, just turn up the progression slider. Or your training settings are wrong.

VC has minimal effect in the franchise modes.
Yeah I'm super against this VC shit because I used to really enjoy my player but thankfully the My League stuff has been spared, it's still as great as always.

Okay, this is being fucking overdramatic.

Gaming is better than it's ever been. There are more quality titles to play than anyone has time for, and games of all sizes and budgets for a gamer of every kind.

Oh but no a handful of games abusing in-game purchases are ruining all of gaming? Fuck off with that nonsense. The crash you desire would ensure that thousands at minimum would lose their damn jobs, how great does that fucking sound because three games or something were assholes with their digital add-ons?

Agreed on the amount of quality games but it's more than a handful of games abusing microtransactions. Mid-range phones nowadays could play the majority of last-gen games but there's little interest in porting them because Clash of Shit can bring in thousands from one customer.

Breakaway

Good to know. This is one of the reasons why 2K15 was my last one (the other being a bug in both 2K14 and 2K15 that prevented me from getting my shoe deal). I never liked the implementation of VC, so I often took advantage of those 2K apps and codes to earn extra VC for free. Managed to max my guys out with that method and not have to spend a single dime on VC.

Falchion

The last one I bought was 2K15 and even that one I felt leaned too heavily on the VC. Definitely won't be buying this.

This may be true but it would take something unforeseen for Live to ever regain a significant foothold or to eat in to 2K's ironclad grip on the sport at this point. 2K would have to lose the NBPA's license or something.

Hard to disagree. I've thought 2K's gameplay has been vastly superior to Live since 2004, and a part of me thinks Live won't ever fully recover from Jesus Bynum lol.

I'm just really feeling Live this year and maybe I'm just hoping they become competition again to put pressure on 2K. These 2K dudes fleecing me out of my money just left a really bad taste in my mouth.

BigEmil

Thank you Kotaku.

Finally some media finally picking up on NBA 2K scummy thievery which the 2K community been complaining about for ages but fell on deaf ears

ViciousDS

Banned
You still bought the game even though you feel this way? lol

Um, yes

VC last year wasn't bad. I had an 85 overall legit at the end of the first season without paying a dime just by playing normally and enjoying the game. This time we have lower paying endorsements, less styles and haircuts without spending money. Clothing costs have nearly doubled and your character progression has slowed down insanely. It took only 140k VC to get to 85 overall last year while being easier to get to. This year it takes 200k and takes even longer to get that VC.

You think anyone knew this shit was going to be this bad on launch day? No, because we didn't even get to experience it or see how everything worked till the damn game launched

Saganator

They've been scummy with the VC shit for a while, they keep topping the sales charts, though. Why not keep going and see what they can get away with? People will keep buying the game and buying the VC.

I don't even really like basketball but I really liked the very first NBA 2k on the PS4, at least at first. Then I started to see how they were sucking me into buying VC to progress faster in single player modes. Dropped the game like a hot potato and now I won't touch an NBA 2k anymore.

m29a

Neo Member
This is what gamers want. People defend it, people can't stop buying it, people deserve it at this point.

I've tried to claim that it's not fair that people in the online park can boost up to a high level from day one, it gives an unfair advantage and encourages people to drop money on as well. If someone wants to dominate in their offline MyCareer, then whatever, who cares, right? But when you bring that stuff online, against other players? It's literally pay to win. It's such bs.

I can't tell you how many people online that have claimed "i dropped $50 on vc so I could upgrade my guy, everyone else did it", and seemed okay with it. (I also browse operationsports).

I don't understand why people defend it, us being consumers, we have power, but some like to suppress it.

But I am disappointed where the industry is headed as a whole. While NBA 2K transactions don't affect me, as I only do quick-play against the AI / some friends and some MyLeague (which doesn't have any VC inclusion), this still sucks.

Top Bottom