• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Pokémon Go Could Be A Death Sentence For A Black Man

Order

So this topic is supposed to be the woe is me I can't play Pokémon Go because I'm black circle jerk? Come on now. This is a topic for discussion and I am more than allow to come in here and give my opinion. I'm black too and if I played this game I would go out and play the hell out of it. But I don't go around assuming everyone is out to get me because of a handful of unfortunate incidents. That's insane.
Don't get mad if people call you out on your garbage opinion.

"I'm black but nothing ever happened to me tehee! Those other black people need to stop overreacting!"

Don't get mad if people call you out on your garbage opinion.

"I'm black but nothing ever happened to me tehee! Those other black people need to stop overreacting!"

Where did I say that? This is the shit I be talking about lol. I said I'm black and do not assume bad things are going to happen to me because of it. Guess that's a pretty radical notion?

Also I'm not mad at all. Everyone can have their opinion. This is a discussion.

jaypah

RYrq1xF.gif

Take me with you Spidey!!!

Nudull

Banned
People being branded as suspicious (and in some cases, potentially killed by police because suspicions) and possible pedophiles/ephebophiles just because they're playing Pokemon. It says a lot about how policing is done these days. I'm starting to wonder whether Pokemon Go was even a good idea considering the nature of policing in today's time.

I didn't even think of the possibility of pedos and rapists using Pokemon Go to their advantage. This is going to get really ugly, isn't it?

I'm white as fuck and I had some old guy taking pictures of me as I tried to catch a weedle outside his house. He lived next to a gym so it must have been common enough to freak the old fart out.

I can only imagine the reactions some others have gotten from similarly confused old people.

I can see this happening regardless of race. It is a sad state we live in.

I do want to add that I think the overwhelming majority of cops are decent human beings who are trying to do their job and protect and serve. Unfortunately, it only takes one trigger happy cop that is racist or profiles people based on their race for something like this to be a reality.

Village

Where did I say that? This is the shit I be talking about lol. I said I'm black and do not assume bad things are going to happen to me because of it. Guess that's a pretty radical notion?
Yes

Because in the real world bad things do happen to you because you are black..

Yes that is a radical notion.

So essentially you said the statement he claimed you said again.

Yes

Because in the real world bad things do happen to you because you are black..

Yes that is a radical notion.

So essentially you said the statement he claimed you said again.

lol guess I'll be radical then. Walking around looking over my shoulders just counting the days before the rogue cops get me for playing Pokémon Go. Smh ffs.

Ryan_MSF

Find it super depressing that this is a thing. Something so small such as gaming can bring such happiness to peoples lives, and people are having to think like this? ):

Village

lol guess I'll be radical then. Walking around looking over my shoulders just counting the days before the rogue cops get me for playing Pokémon Go. Smh ffs.
I wish i lived in your bubble realm

I wish i wasnt so adverse to ignorance, so i could live in this happy place

I wish i lived in your bubble realm

I wish i wasnt so adverse to ignorance, so i could live in this happy place

So should I be waiting to be killed for no reason instead? I'm confused?

I happens every week according to some so it's only a matter of time right?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You must not read the news at all. Here's the problem, people don't just assume you're playing pokemon go, they see a black man walking around an area looking at their phone, (you know like other people do but it's perceived to be different or safer due to race), then deem that person suspicious. We have a gaffer on the first page in this thread that straight up says this happened to him yet you wanna pretend like it doesn't happen. As if there isn't any problems at all. FFS dude.

Holy shit....

Village

Waiting? No thats a bit too grim. Don't let folks take your life away, before they have taken your life away.

But aware, alert and empathetic to peoples situations as well as your own, yes.

Gator86

Also I'm not mad at all. Everyone can have their opinion. This is a discussion.

No one cares how black you are. Black people can be ignorant about race too. Whether you personally care means nothing and changes even less than that about how race functions in modern American society. You're entitled to them, but your opinions are uninformed and ignorant. I'm waiting for you to present an argument about black on black crime.

You must not read the news at all. Here's the problem, people don't just assume you're playing pokemon go, they see a black man walking around an area looking at their phone, (you know like other people do but it's perceived to be different or safer due to race), then deem that person suspicious. We have a gaffer on the first page in this thread that straight up says this happened to him yet you wanna pretend like it doesn't happen. As if there isn't any problems at all. FFS dude.

Holy shit....

I've never denied anything happening. I mentioned there have been a handful of incidents. I just said I will never assume the worst from anyone and people lost their minds. I'm at a loss... guess I'm not paranoid enough?

JayBabay

I mean that article is on point 100%. It is, sadly, all likely and true based on statistics and you can't argue with numbers!

South Carolina and grew up in Tennessee. Thoughts?

I'd say you're either making it up as a gotcha or have been very lucky to not witness regular discrimination in those regions. As a white person that grew up in North Carolina I was privy to a lot of old racism and class disparity, went to a charter school for elementary and seeing that kind of class divide early on was a trip. Again, I think you've been very fortunate, and you should probably drop your "handful" rhetoric already, it isn't helpful.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I've never denied anything happening. I mentioned there have been a handful of incidents. I just said I will never assume the worst from anyone and people lost their minds. I'm at a loss... guess I'm not paranoid enough?
"According to some" definitely carries some form of denial. As if not everyone is telling the truth. There have been more than a handful of incidents to prove this article's point. It's absolutely insane that you don't see what's happening happening out there.

No one cares how black you are. Black people can be ignorant about race too. Whether you personally care means nothing and changes even less than that about how race functions in modern American society. You're entitled to them, but your opinions are uninformed and ignorant. I'm waiting for you to present an argument about black on black crime.

Why would I do that? That's not what this topic is about is it?

I really don't think the Kotaku article is trying to suggest that every black man that plays Pokémon Go is in danger of dying in a hail of police gunfire. Being mistaken for a criminal should be a lingering concern for anyone playing the game since a lot of it involves you engaging in unusual behavior in public.

Black men are statistically going to be more at risk in these situations (in the USA!), anyone who doesn't understand this should educate themselves.

I'd say you're either making it up as a gotcha or have been very lucky to not witness regular discrimination in those regions. As a white person that grew up in North Carolina I was privy to a lot of racism and class disparity, went to a charter school for elementary and seeing that kind of class divide early on was a trip. Again, I think you've been very fortunate, and you should probably drop your "handful" rhetoric already, it isn't helpful.

Nah that's where I'm from Chattanooga, TN and I live in Charleston, SC. Besides that I never said I've never seen racism. I just said I will never assume the worst in anyone and I don't walk around thinking the cops are out to get me because of my race. I'm ignorant because of that though so, uh ok I guess...

Anyhow I've said all I really care to say on this topic. Thanks for the discussion everyone. Have a great weekend, no hard feelings.

One of my (Polynesian) co-workers had a police officer point their gun at him while he was out Pokemon going during the beta. Officer said they received calls about a person matching his description walking around with a gun.

This stuff is probably going to be an issue because of racist people who are mad that undesirables are entering their neighborhood and call the cops than the police themselves.

Trace

Banned
I guess you didn't watch the news this week

Personally I can walk down the street in confidence that everyone around me isn't concealed carrying murder weapons.

Guns should be outlawed with the exceptions of swat teams and hunting weapons. Shit is disgusting.

Mory Dunz

Nah that's where I'm from Chattanooga, TN and I live in Charleston, SC. Besides that I never said I've never seen racism. I just said I will never assume the worst in anyone and I don't walk around thinking the cops are out to get me because of my race. I'm ignorant because of that though so, uh ok I guess...

McCallie or Baylor?
lol

I agree it doesn't do your mental well being any favors to be thinking that cops are like that full stop every time you leave your house, but it's hard to ignore the frequency of brutality in the country related to it just the same. At first I thought the kotaku piece was some kind of in poor taste borderline exploitative journalism but frankly it doesn't seem that far fetched with how often this is happening.

Daft Punk

Banned
I got stopped by the police the other night for walking to 7-11 so I could get some KM on my eggs. They thought I looked suspicious walking around with my phone out. Yes, for having my phone out. This shit is real.

That could happen to anyone playing a game on their phone/tablet or simply texting/talking. You can be oblivious to the world. But back to the article it's true and quite the possibility that the latter of his points can become a reality.

Top Bottom