• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku proves their integraity once again

tak

This bit of news was posted on Kotaku's website a few minutes ago,

Kotaku said:

Basically, CheapyD challenged his users to get a made-up rumor they created and posted on the CAG forums linked to a major blog. The main point of the challenge was to show the silliness of the major blogs relying on a single unknown forum poster for their news.

Brian states that this move by CAG has damaged its credibility, but I think it just highlights how uncredible a place like Kataku is (hiding behind the term rumor to often). CheapyD did not post the rumor, it was a user from the forum.

I find this thing incredibly funny, for a number of reasons (mainly because Brian is taking it very seriously in the comments on his site).

If Kotaku is a reliable source of news, then we can go to Kotaku and look stuff up.

If Kotaku isn't a reliable source of news, then why does anyone here pay any attention to the site in the first place?

tak

Firewire said:
Watch out! The Gaf spelling police can be brutal!
English is not my first language, bad English is. I'm surprised I haven't been called out on it more often. :lol

Tideas

Banned
Pureauthor said:
If Kotaku is a reliable source of news, then we can go to Kotaku and look stuff up.

If Kotaku isn't a reliable source of news, then why does anyone here pay any attention to the site in the first place?

only for the lulz

Oni Jazar

On the last CAGCast, CheapyD and Wombat were commenting how badly the big blogs fail to fact check their stories. They wanted to see if their readers could create their own fake story to get posted on Kota/Joy/Destr.

Same thing GAF does all the time. GAF-Internet-GAF.

GAF vs Kotaku!

2yjsfhv.gif

Pureauthor said:

i get why other people read the site, but not why gaffers do. most stuff we either have here first, or seconds after they do.

I don't think the issue is spelling here fellaz.

That reminds me, I was amazed at Google buying Valve the other day. More top class reporting from sensationalist, page-hit whoring 'news' sites.

fanduck

Did anybody mention yet what a stupid thing this was to have a contest about? Since blogs like Kotaku drive traffic to your site, you reward them by making them look like morons for doing so? Way to go!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I think it would be neat if we had a PM system that announced "Rumor day!" from time to time on GAF. Then, the select few who get those PMs would go and create threads with completely fake news only for the "game journalists" and bloggers that lurk around here to post it on their own sites.

Darklord

Banned
They are almost as bad as N4G now. Hell, we should do something like this. Get a random GAFer to post some made up story, get a few fake posts going along with it and it'll be the top N4G story within 24 hours.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Oni Jazar said:
On the last CAGCast, CheapyD and Wombat were commenting how badly the big blogs fail to fact check their stories. They wanted to see if their readers could create their own fake story to get posted on Kota/Joy/Destr.

Same thing GAF does all the time. GAF-Internet-GAF.

I was JUST listening to this episode yesterday. I kinda scoffed, thinking it was a funny contest idea, but that the blogs wouldn't be dumb enough to fall for any of the entries. Boy was I proven wrong :lol

CheapyD was dead-on. These blogs will publish the stupidest rumors to satisfy their quota. All they have to do is protect themselves with a "?" at the end of the blog entry title.

scxzor

Neo Member
This is hilarious. I think the CAG guys should get a pat on the back for punk-ing the blogosphere.

BUT -- I have a question. Kotaku's been okay on GAF for how long? But J--stiq, which didn't run the story, is still banned? Sounds fair to me.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
SnowWolf said:
I was JUST listening to this episode yesterday. I kinda scoffed, thinking it was a funny contest idea, but that the blogs wouldn't be dumb enough to fall for any of the entries. Boy was I proven wrong :lol

CheapyD was dead-on. These blogs will publish the stupidest rumors to satisfy their quota. All they have to do is protect themselves with a "?" at the end of the blog entry title.

Or they just report it with a RUMOUR: at the start.

It's when you get to the end of the month that you see the crazier rumours and more bullshit stories, gotta get those Unique visitors.

Opiate

fanduck said:
Did anybody mention yet what a stupid thing this was to have a contest about? Since blogs like Kotaku drive traffic to your site, you reward them by making them look like morons for doing so? Way to go!

Had you considered the possibility that CAG is motivated by a desire to adhere to facts and viable information, and not by web hits? That they're more concerned with information than popularity?

I'm sure the sales agers here at NeoGAF could become much better known if they collaborated with VGC: it's a very popular site that's been quoted in major newspapers. Forget Kotaku -- VGC has been in Reuters and the New York Times. So why don't they do that?

HugBasket

Banned
I AM SONIC THE HEDGEHOG

GO SONIC GO RUN LIKE THE WIND

YES YES YOU BEAUTIFUL ANIMAL

YOU BLESSED BEAST

ALPHA AND OMEGA

LAY CONTEST TO YOUR ENEMIES

USE ME SONIC

USE ME USE ME USE ME USE ME

AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA
AHA AH
AHA HA HA
AHA HA HA

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Wait so Kotaku thinks Forum post with no prove are a reliable source for news. No Forum no matter how good a forum is reliable unless is coming from a known poster with good history.

What a load of bs.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
plagiarize said:
i get why other people read the site, but not why gaffers do. most stuff we either have here first, or seconds after they do.

Hell they get all their news from GAF, everytime I go there it says 'gaf member' @ Neo Gaf as the source...that dude is probably reading this thread right now

So Kotaku decides to run a story based off of a forum post, and they don't do any research into the story, then once they find out it's fake, they bash the credibility of the person they go the info from?

Thats like if I was writing for the NY Times, and a bum comes up to me on the street and says the world is gonna end tomorrow, then the next day I trash his credibility cause he was wrong.

Zophar

mysticstylez said:
Thats like if I was writing for the NY Times, and a bum comes up to me on the street and says the world is gonna end tomorrow, then the next day I trash his credibility cause he was wrong.
That bum deserved it.

stuminus3

It's OK, Kotaku have changed their target demographic to "14 year old GameFAQs users" in the last year or so, so they'll be alright.

Top Bottom