• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: BioShock Infinite is troubled, having issues reaching vision, cut modes

StuBurns

Banned
Did anyone here think that Elizabeth could enter another dimension without scripted moments? I personally didn't, but reading the issues with development, it sounds like Elizabeth is the biggest hurdle (excluding multiplayer)... And unless they think the public wanted her to be fully dynamic, I don't see what other issues she could cause.
Meaningful partner AI has been such a roadblock for developers. EA's best and brightest tripped over themselves trying to do it with LMNO for years.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully it all works out.

BioShock Infinite was one of the titles I was most interested in during E3 '11. It'd be a shame if the game didn't turn out the way it was intended too.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
They are having all this trouble with the game development and it is supposed to come out in six months? I was under the impression that in a game's last six months of development, you are already done with all the core development and concentrating on side things and tweaks. If they are still struggling to implement core concepts at this point, then this project is fucked.
You are maybe a little too optimistic about how good developers are at planning development cycles.

exYle

Best of luck to Rod. He always seemed like a charismatic, hard worker from all those interviews I've seen him in, hopefully he guide Bioshock to release.

Well, the press saw a 20 minute demo of TLG and we saw a decent amount of gameplay from Versus.

It seems like they're probably regretting showing that demo you're referring to. They now have to figure out how to live up to that level of freedom or else the game will be a disappointment. I wonder at what point did they realize that what they were doing was going to be hard to pull off for a 15-20 hour game?

I meant the earlier one that showed the testing level for the sky hook thing. So we know basic mechanics work. versus and TLG were just random tidbits.

BigBoss

cut multiplayer modes

Qgo9c.png

Can't say multiplayer being the main thing cut from Infinite is that big of a letdown (source itself says it was mostly there to avoid trade-ins), but teams moving around this late in its development gets me nervous. Really hope if things aren't working out they have the common sense to delay the game more instead of rushing what they have out the door for February.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wait, when was this even delayed to February?

There were too many graphical issue for me to get into this game.

I find it funny that BB had ads and videos of this game running in stores back in spring. Wonder how much that cost?

Elios83

T2 are at least implying that GTA is coming this FY just by their financial guidance.

Bad news are always announced at the last possible moment...it would not be the first time that Take Two fools investors into believing that they have something big coming during the fiscal year....and then 'sorry guys, an other year of losses but GTA is coming in the next fiscal year'' :p
It is impossible for GTAV to be released in March with Bioshock coming in February. They have to adjust the release schedule so that they don't cannibalize their own sales. So yeah, it will miss the current fiscal year.

legacyzero

Banned
Damn. Infinite looks fucking awesome too. The concept alone has me light years more excited than the last two Bioshocks.

The demo was such an incredibly high watermark, and impossible to match for a full game. The amount of geometry and assets required for ten minutes of play would have made it the grandest project in the industry.

I also never understood how the greater game design would operate, if we'd have whole levels take place in the tears, and the 'real' world just be a hub you'd glide around using the skyhook thing.

So many questions.

EDIT: I still have faith it'll come out and be stunning though.

What? Looked like another scripted shooter to me, with great art-direction and presentation.

Although the trans-dimensional stuff could of course be difficult to implement, I just didn't expect that to be anything but scripted/timed events.

lefantome

Bioshock shipped in 2007.

If a game like that takes more than 5 years of development three things are possible:
1)it's really ambitious
2) it had serious development problems
3) both

GlamFM

Banned
Bad news are always announced at the last possible moment...it would not be the first time that Take Two fools investors into believing that they have something big coming during the fiscal year....and then 'sorry guys, an other year of losses but GTA is coming in the next fiscal year'' :p
It is impossible for GTAV to be released in March with Bioshock coming in February. They have to adjust the release schedule so that they don't cannibalize their own sales. So yeah, it will miss the current fiscal year.

I think you are right.

Mario007

Poor Sony, every creative game they try to push gets wound-up in development hell.

Also it's interesting that they're basically have the same problems as Team ICO- i.e. the AI for your sidekick. I wonder how ND will have solved this with TLOU.

lockload

I see complaints about features being developed/prototyped then droped but thats the difference between great and good games, there are so many games where the crap multi player is included becuase it 'OK'

Id rather they drop thing that are not working

GlamFM

Banned
Poor Sony, every creative game they try to push gets wound-up in development hell.

Also it's interesting that they're basically have the same problems as Team ICO- i.e. the AI for your sidekick. I wonder how ND will have solved this with TLOU.

Wait what?

StuBurns

Banned
What? Looked like another scripted shooter to me, with great art-direction and presentation.

Although the trans-dimensional stuff could of course be difficult to implement, I just didn't expect that to be anything but scripted/timed events.
That depends on how scripted it was. While it's very literally 'on rails', you can always drop off and on to another one, or at least that's the implication. My point was more a question of art resources though. That area can't just be for that moment, so while it's stunning (to me at least) for those ten minutes, that's because you're seeing all of that for the first time. The game can't have that much content of that quality and not reuse it. It would take too long, and cost too much. Think about how much area you actually cover in ten minutes of BioShock, or any normal shooter, it's nothing by comparison.
I wonder how ND will have solved this with TLOU.
That is a game to be worried about. Lots of developers have tackled this problem and come up short, either making her a Goddess that doesn't warrant your care like Elika. HL2 of course had Alyx, and did some really beautiful stuff with creating and dissipating that sense of loneliness, but within the actual game, she's not very meaningful at all, she'll occasionally surprise you by reacting to something like you shooting a TV, but then she'll completely ignore you shooting around her or throwing shit at her. Yorda was amazing, but had to be so abstracted from the real world that her actions within the game wouldn't seem completely absurd.

No one has done it right in the context of a real relationship. Considering everyone is going after it, it's going to be done sooner or later, maybe this, maybe LToU, maybe HL3, I can't wait to see who it is.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kotaku has to do better than "unnamed sources" after the FF VS fiasco.

The thing about the Versus story is that the actual information in the story was pretty incoherent and there's virtually no source Kotaku could have had that would have been able to provide them with the information they reported.

This story is very plausible in that literally anyone working at Irrational would be able to provide this information.

Karram

Technically Adrian doesn't work at Epic neither is he a producer. He is the creative director at People can Fly.

Mario007

That is a game to be worried about. Lots of developers have tackled this problem and come up short, either making her a Goddess that doesn't warrant your care like Elika. HL2 of course had Alyx, and did some really beautiful stuff with creating and dissipating that sense of loneliness, but within the actual game, she's not very meaningful at all, she'll occasionally surprise you by reacting to something like you shooting a TV, but then she'll completely ignore you shooting around her or throwing shit at her. Yorda was amazing, but had to be so abstracted from the real world that her actions within the game wouldn't seem completely absurd.

No one has done it right in the context of a real relationship. Considering everyone is going after it, it's going to be done sooner or later, maybe this, maybe LToU, maybe HL3, I can't wait to see who it is.

I agree and it's true that pretty much every ambitious developer is now targeting AI as the next big thing. I actually expect next gen will focus on this by quite a lot as well, thanks to these ambitious developers no longer constrained so much by RAM.

I think Sony should show us a new demo for TLOU at Gamescon and hopefully we'll see more of Ellie. ND are very open about the fact that the challenge of making this game is making Ellie as believable in her actions as she possibly can be. Also the game is already 3 years in development and will probably be 4 years by the time it ships which is a huge amount of time, especially considering they aren't even making a new engine for the game and I imagine quite a few assets will get reskinned from Uncharted games for TLOU. That just shows how much of challenge it is to nail the AI.

The Part where Sony is pushing Bioshock.

Sony had Levine on stage at e3 in 2011 to show Bioshock Infinite and announce the Vita Bioshock. Levine also announced move support and later went on to state that they will be showing a demo of the move implantation (that hasn't happened yet, mind you). Also there's the Big Daddy inclusion in PASBR (with Levine actually writing his storyline) and the Columbia stage which we learn about from the leak. I'd say it's safe to say Sony is Bioshock Infinite.

Zeliard

Well, I hope that Bioshock Infinite will be a badass game.

It'll be interesting to see how Elizabeth ends up in the final product, and if they've had to greatly curtail the ambition there just to get the game out at some point.

I see complaints about features being developed/prototyped then droped but thats the difference between great and good games, there are so many games where the crap multi player is included becuase it 'OK'

Id rather they drop thing that are not working

Better yet, drop the idea of multiplayer entirely when the inclination to include one comes down to a bullet point meant to combat used game sales.

The "throw shit at the wall and see what sticks" method probably doesn't benefit a development cycle when it revolves around entire game modes rather than smaller ideas.

Grisby

That demo did seem very ambitious. I'm very curious to see what state BI is in now.

But I think it's crazier news that Rod Ferguson left Epic. Moving on to other pastures and all that I suppose.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
..but don't you remember about how Red Dead Redemption was utterly completely fucked in development.. and people thought it would be a huge failure form the rumors flying.

Turned out great.

I'm hoping this does the same.. the last 2 games were great.

Top Bottom