• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

Thought this deserved its own thread as its very very interesting. I'm baffled as to what they have been doing for the past few years?

We've heard from other sources that Microsoft is not where they want to be at this point in the pre-launch development of Durango. A reliable source—one who was not part of our reporting about the Respawn game—tells us that Microsoft is as much as six months behind in producing content for the new console, despite an expected late-2013 launch. Another tells us that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped. These sources have told us that, comparatively, Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.

We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.
http://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-getting-a-hell-of-an-exclusive-so-484785241

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Quite unfortunate and this could have huge ramifications on Durango.

However I think the idea that they signed exclusives so late into the development of these games to compensate is kind-of nonsense. MS has always gone for securing 3rd party exclusives and I see this gen as being no different.

We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.

That's what happens when you close down Fasa and ensemble studios.

Somebody made a terrible mistake if this is true. They have enough capacity to pump out decent titles for the launch window. Seems like they're going to start sending some cheques to secure attractive sofwtare for the early adopters.

Meelow

Banned
It's weird that Microsoft released the 360 in 2005 and Nintendo and Sony released the Wii/PS3 in 2006 and Nintendo released the Wii U in 2012 and Sony for PS4 in 2013 that Microsoft is the one behind.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I'm more interested in how the hardware is coming along, Rumors of bad yields and late dev kits.

Dysun

Microsoft just saw the Wii U come out with no games to a tepid response and are following suit.
But at least they have 3rd party to pick up the slack

X-Factor

I don't know why kotaku articles are always posted on here. It isn't as if they have much credibility to begin with.

It's weird that Microsoft released the 360 in 2005 and Nintendo and Sony released the Wii/PS3 in 2006 and Nintendo released the Wii U in 2012 and Sony for PS4 in 2013 that Microsoft is the one behind.

And it's not like they've been pumping out insane quantity of software in the past few years. Sony is demolishing MS this year with high profile releases for current gen consoles and they even managed to launch the Vita.

prwxv3

That does not sound good at all. They can get third parties to make new exclusive IPs and that will help but you can't trust third parties to continually make that IP exclusive or make other new exclusive IPs down the line.

Acquiring 3rd Party exclusives are better than putting out crappy 1st party if the sources are right.

After all, PS3's initial output was nothing short of shitty.

Lair. Damn.

It's a good move securing good third party content while the internal teams work on something worthy.

P44

Everytime I read one of these threads I have the street fighter 2 round announcer going off in my head.

"Round 2...FIGHT!"

Mileena

Banned
That sounds fishy as hell.

7t964GN.png

Luckily is won't effect anyone buying the console. they'll buy it full force and we will just have Wii-U like articles about 'where's the content'

It will eventually come out and the delay will be forgotten.

Xater

Just when I mentioned in the other thread MS laking first party line-up. Well it does make sense for them. Will be interesting to see how much money they are spending...

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Anything Nintendo can do, Microsoft can do better

Ein Bear

I really thought that the one benefit of this generation going on so long would be that everyone had plenty of time to get their shit together for day 1 of the next one. At least Sony seem to be on track.

Gestault

That sounds fishy as hell.

I find it odd that someone would have the access to be able to make that informed claim (knowing both that Microsoft is behind while Sony is where they want to be, and how those two internal goals compare), specifically regarding the internal, first-party goings-on at both companies.

Anyone have a reasonable explanation of how that could be so?

Top Bottom