• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Microsoft 6 months behind in game production for X720 [Pastebin = Ban]

Dabanton

I find it odd that someone would have the access to be able to make that informed claim (knowing both that Microsoft is behind while Sony is where they want to be, and how those two internal goals compare), specifically regarding the internal, first-party goings-on at both companies.

Anyone have a reasonable explanation of how that could be so?

A dev? But like you said you'd have to ask how they would know information about what each company is doing internally.

I take all these rumors with a huge pinch of salt. Sites are hungry for those clicks as they countdown to the 21st and any new Xbox news is likely to get them the wanted clicks

borius

Neo Member
Microsoft recently cancelled several internal next-gen projects because they were not coming together as hoped.

WTF happened to Microsoft? they think to be able to shut down historical teams and create new when they want without having production troubles?

The recent article about 343i and Halo 4 was pretty clear about that.

They haven't release many games as one should expect in the past years and they are months behind the schedule?

C'mon! Sony is going to release 3 AAA titles on ps3 this year and the ps4 line up is not fresh but seems solid.

Is the same company which created great exclusive from nothing with xbox and did a great job in the first year of 360(and they were 1 year ahead of the competitors) ?

A multiplatform dev wouldn't know much about hardware development at all, maybe a little because of some rough roadmaps but I imagine both are still tight lipped on a lot of that, let alone first party software development.

AMD might know about MS having hardware troubles.

harSon

Banned
The source within this rumor doesn't make sense. Considering how secretive Microsoft has been with their next console, the only people who would have access to such are individuals with clout within Microsoft. I'm having difficulty coming up with a person who would have information on both Microsoft and Sony first party software operations.

If this leads to a possible next gen moneyhat of GTA, it was worth it, at least from Microsoft's end it would be. I'm sure it might rub a lot of gamers the wrong way though, but not like it will matter.

I feel like this is just a story created to get website views. These gaming sites do not know shit about the next Xbox just like we do not know shit about the next Xbox and even some stuff about the PS4 for that matter. Bunch of bullshit if you ask me.

this makes me think that Respawn's game WILL be timed-exclusive. it would be a bad business decision to go full-exclusive with a new generation console this early considering they JUST formed and are releasing their first game since parting ways with CoD/activision.

Well, they can always fall back on that huge 360 userbase so they can make their money from that fanbase, if Durango is not enough.

We'd also heard from an industry insider that Microsoft was aggressively trying to sign exclusive games for Durango. Given the lack of internal development at Microsoft—their internal studios, while talented, are outnumbered by those of Sony and Nintendo—and given some of the apparent recent stumbles and slowdowns internally, signing an exclusive Respawn-EA game would suit the Durango quite well.

Useless first party and moneyhats huh. Not sure how Microsoft being in this industry benefits anyone any more.

derFeef

And you sad :(

I have my trusty PC, but I wonder what makes one happy about one "side" to be in a bad position. What we have learned from AMD vs nVidia and the likes is that it's never good for the consumer if one of the big one is not delivering.

Useless first party and moneyhats huh. Not sure how Microsoft being in this industry benefits anyone any more.

See, like this... lol. Jesus...

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If true.. how does something like this happen?

i wonder if Microsoft views cancelling their Obsidian project a mistake in retrospect.

joeblow

Eh, slow Durango software progress can be stretched out a bit with little harm as long as a trailer leaves a good impression on the masses (hello Killzone!).

What is more interesting is in bold:

Sony is in better shape and further along with hardware and software development for PlayStation 4.

If true, what could THAT mean? Worst case scenario is a delayed launch or gimped/missing features, but if it is related to relatively minor things, it won't be a big deal over time.

syko de4d

MS really wants to wait 3weeks before they say anything about this bad news? Everything about the xbox3 just sounds horrible.
Right now i see no reason to buy a xbox3 instead of a ps4. Why should i still pay for online gaming, PSN with PS4 will offer everything a console could need for online gaming? why should i buy the console with less first party studio games, which mostly are shooters or casual games?

Xbox was awesome from 2006-2010 but the last 2.5 years were just bad.

Amir0x

Banned
There is truth behind this.

this new Microsoft console at this point sounds like a carefully crafted Sony PR stunt to make Microsoft look like shit

that's the only explanation for how Microsoft allowed like 6 straight months of nothing but horrendous Durango rumours to fester.

OverHeat

« generous god »
Microsoft buy exclusivity on EA sports games your gonna take one hell of a hit but your gonna finish Sony in America once in for all...look at what happened to the Dreamcast

Look at the Wii u... Pretty sure they plan it way ahead of time, but look at the games. LOL

I don't get the comparison since MS has managed to put together pretty great software launches with both previous systems. I can see delay and cancellations, because that's always something that happens in all software development under pressure to meet a date. I guess we won't have a comprehensive picture of the scope of this issue until Dean Takahashi does his third XBOX project book.

DatDude

Banned
It's pretty much well known by now that Microsoft cares less and less about video game software and exclusives.

If they can make a COD of their own, and sell like it does the way COD for Activision sells, then I wouldn't be surprised if that's the only game they have (maybe halo and gears thrown in every other year), and that be all the games they ever release.

They will push the kinect garbage, the always on-line garbage, and much much more. But yet ye remain faithful and loyal to this sinking titanic than cares less and less about gamers and more and more about profits that don't involve games.

Yet you bash sony. Why? You know sony is the clear winner. They have the software in the pipeline, they don't have the no always on-line shenanigans, they aren't trying to push gimmicks down our throats like hot stuffed wieners at the cony island eating fair. . But yet you choose to stand by the devils side. Well, stand, please by all means, stand by the devils side. While sony takes capture of it's rightful gaming throne.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
I can't help but thinking that sony's announcement really threw Microsoft for a loop. I also believe that they made some last minute changes.

I think Sony's focus on "Games First" caught MS by surprise, they were prepared/preparing for a "Battle for the Living Room, Round 2." when Sony threw a curve ball and have gone in a direction they we're ill prepared to respond to.

I think changes, if any, would have been more marketing related and possibly policy related, such as requirements for online.

I think games were less ready than the living room experience / media functionality and to respond to Sony's games first philosophy they have some catch up to do.

All conjecture of course, but none of the above would surprise me.

Akira

If true, what could THAT mean? Worst case scenario is a delayed launch or gimped/missing features, but if it is related to relatively minor things, it won't be a big deal over time.

Probably fitting that GDDR5 magic into a console box.

Hindle

Banned
I'm thinking this is mainly aimed at Black Tusk. For a supposed developer who's making MS the next big series they do seem very behind. They only started development in 2012.

CookTrain

Panic mode is when companies output the best software, imho. We have seen Ninty and Sony on panic mode but never MS. dis gona bi gud

We haven't seen panic mode MS with the Xbox, but in their broader circle, they don't tend to panic. They just shut projects down. It'd be fun to see how big a dog MS is willing to take out back.

I personally have heard a rumor that Insomniac doesn't even possess a ps4 dev kit. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I've heard twice now. I think they had a pretty huge falling out with Sony. Bummer as I loved their work together.

I wonder WTF ever happened to the Vita version of R+C FFA? It was supposed to come out in january...

Could swear I remember hearing Ted Price talking about the ps4 after the reveal but it could have been talking out his ass.

Might be time to part ways with Insomniac but no need for anyone to be dicks about it. Then again if they signed a deal with MS I could see Sony cutting them off completely.

Would make the R&C movie pretty awkward. lol

Top Bottom