• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

LiK

While the official reveal of Sony's next home console could still be months away, if not longer, Kotaku has today learned some important details concerning the PlayStation 3's successor.

For one, the console's name—or at least its codename/working title—is apparently Orbis. And it's being planned for release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

The details in this story come from a reliable source who is not authorized to talk publicly about next-gen hardware but has shared correct information with us before. What they're telling us in specifics matches much of what we've heard and reported in generalities in recent weeks.

CURRENT SPECS

Our main source supplied some basic specs for the console, but as the future is always in motion, bear in mind these could easily change between now and the Orbis' retail release. Still, if you'd like to know what developers are being told to plan for now, here you go.

AMD x64 CPU
AMD Southern Islands GPU

The former, that's largely something we've heard before, but the latter is interesting. That's the name given to many of AMD's 2012 roster of high-end PC cards. The PS4's GPU in particular, we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, which is far in excess of the needs of most current HDTV sets. It'll also be capable of playing 3D games in 1080p (the PS3 could only safely manage 3D at 720p).

Read the full article here with more rumored specs.

--------

Also, a Gaffer mentioned this:

http://www.coquesdesign.com/#/commercial-illustration/4530317815

so this site says it has sketches of "new playstation orbis features"?

UPDATE: Orbis product images pulled from their site...hohoho

ibib9TlUt53Uo2.png

ibwhFkUOUDaT6s.jpg

ipiPqPG35jksj.jpg

CAN'T WAIT!

onken

Every time we get a new console rumor they throw in the anti-used game line. I wonder if it will be true this time.

Pooya

summary
-no BC with Ps3
- http://orbis.scedev.net/ exists
-AMD 2012 GPU with up to 4k resolution for games. AMD Southern Islands GPU http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Islands_(GPU_family)
-AMD x64 CPU
- anti used game system like PC games with always online DRM.

"If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date."
"it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game."

DonMigs85

Still hoping they include Cell as a sort of co-processor and of course to enable BC.
Also hope they allow seamless transferring of data from PS3 and don't restrict the number/region of accounts you can have on it. I'd rather not have too many consoles hooked up at once.

V_Ben

Banned
No backward comparability would be understandable, but... Super dumb. Especially if PSN games dont run on it.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

fucking hell.

Elginer

So this system will have to be online at all to register a game. Well that's a move to certainly limit your customer base with tons of areas still not having broadband. With these rumors and durango and these anti-used games thing the GI must be jizzing in anticipation for these next-gen systems to finally completely cut the consumer off from selling their games. Also the addition of no B/C is a crap move, and does that extend to it's digital games as well? If so they can fuck right off.

monome

Awesome leak.

That Orbis pastebin post + SCE link = yummy.

Sony is pretty much breaking the bank again but with a sensible PC architecture this time.
Anti-used is pretty much a given seing how fast Digital sales are growing.
No BC is just fine with me, I don't really care to get a new console to play old games and HD ports/ remakes/ reboots are here to stay IMO and will fill the BC void.

I heard Durango is pretty far along, hopefully the fall release gives MS an incentive to go Q3 2013. September XBOX 3 would be God-like.
I hate Sony's IP except Uncharted ;-)

not sure how i feel about potentially not being able to play used games.. on the other hand i understand many developers are suffering and Gamestop being so aggressive in pushing used games (im sorry, "pre-owned") is hurting them even more..

on the other hand im kinda poor, and can only afford a few full-priced games a year (i buy the ones i REALLY want new, rest used).

Tarin02543

If its going to be called something other than ps4 it will not be "The PlayStation" anymore and lose some of its marketing power.

i bought planescape:torment for $5 at a recycled goods shop. my copy of FF7 came from a box of games somebody put out on the sidewalk. i will tell these stories to my grandchildren and they won't believe me ;_;

ElFly

This gels with the previous rumors about the PS4 using PC architecture.

Still needs some better confirmation.

This is pretty huge news. I trust Kotaku's sources for some reason... the "our source has given correct info before" part

AMD x64
Southern Islands GPU
Up to 4k res (I'm assuming upscaling for games and maybe native for movies?)

Majanew

Banned
Rumor about PS4 being anti-used games like the Xbox Durango rumor, makes it seem more legit. Figured if one goes that route, they'd all have to. :(
Will Wii U be the only next-gen console to allow used games if it comes true about PS4/Durango? Will that affect Publishers/Developers for the better or worse? And will that decide what games are on Wii U?

I never thought I'd say this but if the next Xbox and Playstation really prohibit me from buying/selling/lending/trading games, then the Wii U will be my console of choice.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.
Actually a really great idea.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lulz
Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

What does this mean for Gamestop? What will they do without used games?
Stop selling the boatloads of new games. :p

Mrbob

Southern Islands gpu? I want to believe. At that high a resolution the gpu is going to have to pack some major power.

Also, looks like PS4 purchases will be like retail Steamworks games? Locked into your PSN account with the ability to download the title whenever to your hdd. Hopefully this is the case! Can take advantage of retail sales and still download the game to your hdd! Will be interesting to see how this will affect the used market.

Top Bottom