• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: PlayStation 4 codenamed 'Orbis', 2013, AMD CPU, SI GPU, Anti-Used Games

Averon

I'm conflicted on that pastbin. On the one hand, it makes sense for Sony to be more conservative on hardware after what they went through with the PS3. But the PS4 having no hard drive makes no sense if Sony is pushing hard for DD, which they are.

Madridy

All games next gen better drop to the Bomba bins ( <$20) within 1 month if that Anti-used/Online DRM system is true...

Otherwise fuck this BS.

Mario007

Create a game actually worth keeping
Keep supporting your games
Sell back programs directly to the publisher
Coupons for future purchases
Budget your games properly
Stop giving gamestop all this free preorder shit, then moaning and bitching about them out of the other side of your mouth
Don't treat your customers like thieves

I don't buy used games, but if I can't sell back some game I don't want anymore chances are I won't buy it in the first place.

i agree with some of your point. but wouldn't a system of a free trial (ala PS Plus) where you play the game for an hour allow you to make an educated decision whether or not to buy the game?

Let's see

- 2013, sounds reasonable
- AMD CPU, been rumored previously, sounds reasonable
- Southern Islands GPU, makes sense for a console launching in 2013
- anti used games, I previously said there was no way that MS would do this if their competitors didn't. This rumor only makes sense if MS is doing it as well...which speaks to some sort of collusion between devs and manufacturers to push the console market closer to the PC market.
- no BC sounds a little over the top. Software BC should at least be an option, correct?
they want to get rid of the celllll yo the cellll, it's worth it. Deal wit it people.

Arklite

I seriously doubt those PS4 specs real, especially considering what the Vita is and how it goes against what has seemingly been their philosophy of throwing crazy high spec machines out and sorting the details later. Also, after how this generation went the last thing they'd do is create something so underpowered compared to the competition.

Software BC should at least be an option, correct?
Not with that hardware, probably not.

That sort of thing might be possible on the next xbox because of the restrictions Microsoft puts on developers, but PS3 devs have bare metal access and writing an emulator for that (on hardware that isn't a ridiculous amount more powerful) would be a nightmare.

Raistlin

I really don't have an issue with this if it's true ... assuming the implementation isn't idiotic (ie. required to be online all the time would be a non-starter).

It would force down the price of used games (basically end up being a wash once you include the fee) ... and pubs/devs would at least get something from it. Obviously the bad news is you won't be able to get much for when selling used games anymore.

1-D_FTW

If that's true, fuck Sony and Ms... Stick to Wii U and PC

Good luck with that. You really think 3rd parties are going to release titles on WiiU if every other platform has things locked down? They've abandoned Nintendo consoles for far less.

Don't disagree with you on the PC part, but PCs have already adopted this strategy and there is no used game market. The major difference being that the variable pricing structure makes the loss of second hand markets manageable. It Sony and MS don't adopt this strategy (and they sure haven't so far with DD exclusives), then it's going to be an epic disaster for the console market.

EDIT: Guess you were referring to B/C. Still, the sentiment remains. If MS and Sony both adopt this, 3rd parties will drop the Wii U in a flash unless they get on board with the program.

sakipon

These companies are just spreading false rumors to confuse their competitors.

In my mind I'm 100% sure these rumors are not true. Either it's like you said or someone else just made these up.

I'll continue my life like this article doesn't exist.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That pastebin article doesn't really stack up for either console. I expect the two to be very similar next gen. Both will have HDDs and probably a 6 core processor at max. I have a feeling that RAM and GPUs will be where the differences lie.

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0

His post is Dec, I can't find anything about the next Xbox codename rumored to be Durango earlier than that. So he was spot on about both?

Umm anybody could have made a guess like that....I don't think there is a single chance that will happen.

Anyway, if they go DD only next gen, they will have to cut the price of games....DD prices for Vita are pathetic...no wonder it is selling poorly, it is the price of the games not the blooming consoles.

On PC, Steam still prices there stuff steaply and is selling through the roof, so I suppose it is feasible

No backwards compatibility is stupid and desperate...a pathetic and back stabbing approach really

In Japanese culture, the number 4 is considered unlucky. It's sometimes pronounced shi which is also the word for death. So that explains why they might want to avoid PlayStation 4.

Another thing, does anyone remember the PS3 "anti-used games" rumour prior to launch? How did that pan out then?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
i agree with some of your point. but wouldn't a system of a free trial (ala PS Plus) where you play the game for an hour allow you to make an educated decision whether or not to buy the game?

The game could be good, but if I will never play it again, I have no use for it and would sell it. I keep singleplayer games that I want to replay. If I can't resell it, I will most likely wait for bomba price or not buy it all.

Make all the games $25 with this no used system and I'll be day 1, but that will never happen.

Another thing, does anyone remember the PS3 "anti-used games" rumour prior to launch? How did that pan out then?

Have you seen the shit EA and friends have been doing for the last year.

RPGCrazied

As I said in a previous thread. Only if retail priced games go down, would I really care about losing the ability to play used games.

But wouldn't that fuck up gamestop? Not that many care I'm sure, but they bring in a ton of $$$ from used games. I know I've traded in my fair share of them.

deadlast

Well, there's no BC for PS3/PS2 now or a good way for PSP/PSV.

Why not resell you your old shit again?

This sounds like what we will see in the future. I imagine that the devs will just update the textures and up the FPS to resell all of the previous gen games that people really want.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Backfoggen said:
Even down to a 32-bit CPU that's pretty hilarious
I found the part about "OpenGL 4 GPU" funnier.
I guess this part of a generation is always when all the "geniuses" come out in force.

As for anti-used games or not - that will be all but irrelevant for the successful platform(s) in a few years anyway. And by that I mean that the console probably won't be successful if retail disc sales remain its dominant business model.

Angry Fork

I'm okay with killing used games if it means publishers give developers more chance to work on something other than shooters.

But I don't think they would be that nice, they'd just keep the profit instead of investing it on new unique ideas.

I don't care about BC so I'm okay with that going.

Seik

Banned
If it's anti-used games, I'm out.

Yep, same here, if they dare it'll be a new era for me where I'll concider myself a 'old grumpy fuck stuck in the past'.

There is just no, absolutely no way I'm investing a single cent in this anti-cosumer shit. No matter how awesome the games will be.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I also echo the, "If it's anti-used games, I'm out." Screw every company that adopts this policy.

If the rumors about MS adopting this are true, too, it looks like I'll be stuck with only a Nintendo system from here on out until they make that ridiculous move, too.

ElRenoRaven

You know I'll say what I did with the 720 rumor. If they lock me out of playing used games then fuck them and I will not buy any console that locks me out of playing used games and screws me out of my ability to sell my goddamn games.

That said though this rumor was around with PS3 also and almost with the same details of how it would work. So I'll wait and see. Also it's Kotaku. They pull shit out their ass all the time.

Majanew

Banned
Umm anybody could have made a guess like that.

Yeah, know what those odds are getting both codenames right? I'm not saying I believe all of the specs, especially Durango's, but...ah doesn't matter, we'll find out soon enough I suppose. Guess we'll be revisiting that pastebin post in the future.

KageMaru

Loving these rumors, would love a PS4 close to those specs.

we're told, will be capable of displaying Orbis games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160

lol oh God this shit again? So what will this be now, true-true HD?

Every time we get a new console rumor they throw in the anti-used game line. I wonder if it will be true this time.

Well if this actually happens next gen, it won't be from just one company. A large group of companies in the industry would have to support such a move if it had any chance of success.

bill0527

Has Gamestop ever publicly given out details as to how much of their store credit is used to purchase new products?

I would suspect its a pretty significant number, and if it is.. do the hardware manufacturers and game publishers REALLY want to interrupt that ecosystem?

If there's a new game that that I want, I usually take a couple of games I'm done with off my shelf and head down to Gamestop and trade them in on a new game that's just been released, or sometimes on the day of release.

If this option is no longer available to me, or say, my 2-month old game I'm finished with only nets me $5 in trade-in value because of anti-used games policies, I will not be purchasing anywhere near the amount of new games I typically buy.

All games next gen better drop to the Bomba bins ( <$20) within 1 month if that Anti-used/Online DRM system is true...

Otherwise fuck this BS.

That's what I expect to happen, if they think they can just take away income, in form of used sales, from their customers.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Underpowering the PS4 makes no sense at all. They don't have the IP power to be competitive, especially now with the lack of 3rd party exclusives (something that made the underpowered PS2 thrive).

This generation has taught us that better versions DO matter. Sony needs to make sure that the PS4 version of the game outperforms the other versions when it comes to tech. And they can´t do that with low specs.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Has Gamestop ever publicly given out details as to how much of their store credit is used to purchase new products?

no specifics, other than a majority of 1 billion
gamestopisevil9zjlv.png

Lothars

It's not going to happen neither the PS4 or new Xbox will have anti used games systems, I just don't see it happening.

What if they have a system in place where if the person who owns game A and lends it to you is on your friends list, you can play it with no restrictions?

AAK

The "orbis" anti used game model sounds pretty much identical to an online pass. If people tolerated in this gen, they'll tolerate it next gen.

My main concern is about the console turning on and off if online. I have a very fluctuating internet connection at my apartment because of my location. If that happens to me, I may have to give up gaming because of it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Underpowering the PS4 makes no sense at all. They don't have the IP power to be competitive, especially now with the lack of 3rd party exclusives (something that made the underpowered PS2 thrive).

This generation has taught us that better versions DO matter. Sony needs to make sure that the PS4 version of the game outperforms the other versions when it comes to tech. And they can´t do that with low specs.

I'm a little confused here.

Also, Sony jumping on the 4K resolution is absolutely ridiculous. That seems like a complete waste of a feature. There's absolutely no way those TVs are anywhere close to mainstream by the end of NEXT generation.

Mrbob

The Pastebin post and Kotaku article conflict each other. You don't go southern islands for the GPU and target 4K resolution if your system is going to be underpowered. So someone is wrong.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

Sony would probably be insane enough to believe Killzone 4 would be enough to carry the console. I love their consoles, a fair chunk of their first party games and my Sony DSLR (my Xperia X10 Mini Pro can fuck off tho), but it's still such a mess of a company.

Top Bottom