• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Respawn's Game Xbox 360/720 Only, always-online, FPS, Includes Details

V_Ben

Banned
http://kotaku.com/the-next-gen-xbox-is-getting-a-hell-of-an-exclusive-so-484785241

The long-awaited first game from Respawn Entertainment—the studio helmed by the creators of Call of Duty—will be exclusive to the next-gen Xbox, according to two unrelated sources familiar with the game. One of our sources indicates that there will also be an Xbox 360 version, but no versions for rival PlayStation and Nintendo consoles.

Oh, you didn't think the console wars were over, did you?

The new game from Respawn is a futuristic multiplayer-centric online shooter, one of our sources says. The source describes the game as a battle of Davids and Goliaths. The Davids are heavily-armed foot soldiers. The Goliaths are the giant exosekeltons—Titans—that these soldiers can pilot. These Titans are big mech-style walkers that move with an agility not seen in games like Mechwarrior or Steel Battalions.

While the details of the game came to us from one source—a source who is in a good position to know what the deal is with Respawn's game—their assertion that the game is destined only for Microsoft console hardware was consistent with information another source gave us earlier this month. That other source had also told us that Respawn's game would only be for the Xbox brand. It is possible that the game could be a timed exclusive, but neither source indicated that was the case.

An Xbox-only Respawn game would be a coup for Microsoft and a fascinating twist to a number of significant sagas. It has implications for publisher EA's rivalry with Call of Duty publisher Activision; for Microsoft's competition with Sony and, less directly with Nintendo; as well as for the ongoing debate about always-online gaming. Two sources have told us that this new game is, in fact, always-online.

The new Respawn game, one of our sources tells us, is made on a modified version of Valve's Source engine, not on internal EA tech. The source believes the game looks very good on Durango but not as good as EA's internally-made Battlefield 4. That source also says that Respawn is only working on the Durango version of the game and is hand-picking a studio to make the 360 edition.

More at the link. That would be a pretty crazy coup for Microsoft.

Edit: The bolded fascinates me the most. Gerstmann mentioned in that gametrailers video that some games would be exclusive because of reasons he didn't necessarily agree with - this could be it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This kind of lines up with what CrazyButtocks said last week. He ssaid that there would be a full exclusive from EA and confirmed that it wasn't several things but stayed silent on Respawn's game when people mentioned it.

EMT0

Banned
Third party console exclusives to return?

Put the console exclusives on PC and one console, that'll be great(for me)

Kifimbo

First megaton of next gen if true. Would mean Microsoft gave EA a truckload of money, otherwise it doesn't make sense for EA.

Amir0x

Banned
This can mean a lot or it can mean nothing at all - Respawn Studios means nothing to nobody who isn't already intently tied to the industry, and there's no guarantee their game will even captivate a large audience. They can put "From the makers of Call of Duty" on the box (can they do that?), but again this doesn't guarantee sales.

I hope it's good but honestly I never got into the Call of Duty shit either, lowest common denominator pap, but I reserve 'megaton' type commentary for news that is actually a megaton

Good exclusive for Microsoft, smart move.

you have yet to hear any details about the game so how exactly do you know it's a good exclusive or a smart move for MS? lol and with this little arrangement you know that means... EA is back on Sony side. :D I wonder how Activision feels about all this, they're precious COD no longer the Apple of MS' eye. lol

Wow, Microsoft locking down exclusives. Lets hope the game pans out well.

maybe I missed the info but what others exclusives hasMS locked down exactly?

back to the good old days where exclusives happen and give someone a reason to pick up a certain console, I am glad I won't be conflicted though cause i plan to get both

Top Bottom