• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

It'll surely be unveiled this year, if it makes the shelves for the holidays, guess we'll have to wait and see. But, this is good either way as it's going to surely force Sony's hand now as well. We know they have a PS4 in the works, we know it's been worked on for a few years already. And with both their competitors unveiling this year, they have to do something now. Regardless of all the striding and momentum going on.

adelante

I don't see them putting together an E3 reveal unless they plan for a Dec holiday release. They might have their own unveiling event early next year (maybe that's one of the reasons why they pulled out of CES, to make room for such an event)...perhaps even releasing the new system on the same day it's announced.

Doffen

so gdc is a possibility for the nextbox reveal?e3 is all but guaranteed right?

Nope. If the Xbox 3 will be released next year, then Microsoft will be focusing on making this year the last hurray of the Xbox 360’s lifetime. In other words: announcing the next Xbox will kill the market interest in the Xbox 360.

elcranky

Banned
It'll surely be unveiled this year, if it makes the shelves for the holidays, guess we'll have to wait and see. But, this is good either way as it's going to surely force Sony's hand now as well. We know they have a PS4 in the works, we know it's been worked on for a few years already. And with both their competitors unveiling this year, they have to do something now. Regardless of all the striding and momentum going on.

Given that supposedly final chips have been taped out and produced for dev kits, that seems to indicate either a Q4 12 or Q1 13 launch.

TriGen

I expect an E3 announcement for the next Xbox because of all the chatter since last Nov, but based off of Microsofts past I doubt they would announce a console and launch over a year later. I have guessed before that they would surprise people with a early 2013 launch not fall like usual, it would be a good way to build an install base during the year and avoid any shortages or trouble for holiday 2013 shoppers, basically if you want a nex-gen Xbox by the holidays of 2013 you'll get one, the same thing can't be said if it's only out there a month and a half before Christmas.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I don't see them putting together an E3 reveal unless they plan for a Dec holiday release. They might have their own unveiling event early next year (maybe that's one of the reasons why they pulled out of CES, to make room for such an event)...perhaps even releasing the new system on the same day it's announced.
That would be a logistical nightmare, at least if they intend to ship to external resellers (BestBuy, GameStop etc.) on launch day, and not just offer the product via their own Microsoft Stores. A rebranding (such as the Xbox 360 S) could work with a reveal and launch on the same day, but for an entirely new system this wouldn't be a favorable solution.

I think we could see something about this as early as next week at GDC; a reveal is probably not bound to happen but people will be talking and who knows what might slip. Otherwise, E3 should hold some revelations about Microsoft's future plans for the Xbox brand.

TriGen

Didn't MS say that they weren't going to announce the next console this E3?

No, only sony. Microsoft had a cryptek response, they were asked if they were announcing at E3 and they said "we have nothing to announce at this moment", or something along those lines.

hammster

Archbishop of Canterburny
It seems insane to me that he could accidentally tweet something like that.

Never mind, can't wait to find out more info.

S1kkZ

there was also a rumor that ryse (the kinect first-person game from crytek) was moved to crytek frankfurt (the main studio) and is now a launch title for the next xbox.

JABEE

It seems insane to me that he could accidentally tweet something like that.

Never mind, can't wait to find out more info.

That means the Durango must have been Pretty well known. What doesnt make sense is tweeting it even though it hasn't been announced.

TriGen

there was also a rumor that ryse (the kinect first-person game from crytek) was moved to crytek frankfurt (the main studio) and is now a launch title for the next xbox.

Yeah, that sounded like a legit rumor at the time and seems more likely now. Kotaku said that the next Xbox would come with Kinect 2.0 so it makes sense to put one of your big Kinect games on a system that would be compatible for everybody.

Well looks like Durango is real and going full steam. I expect an announcement come E3.

I don't. I expect a confirmation that it exists some time this year, some general hardware info (like who's working on what component and the general performance ballpark, although more detailed specs are likely to leak out), but a full reveal will wait until next year.

JABEE

I don't. I expect a confirmation that it exists some time this year, some general hardware info (like who's working on what component and the general performance ballpark, although more detailed specs are likely to leak out), but a full reveal will wait until next year.

I don't know. Didn't Microsoft release the 360 after one E3?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
That means the Durango must have been Pretty well known. What doesnt make sense is tweeting it even though it hasn't been announced.

yeah, it must be a routine for them. Durango this, Durango that, so I'm on a meeting about Durango ...oops!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
No, only sony. Microsoft had a cryptek response, they were asked if they were announcing at E3 and they said "we have nothing to announce at this moment", or something along those lines.

Microsoft's French marketing director Cedrick Delmas said this in an interview with the French newspaper Le Point on the 28th of January:

There are rumors going around that Microsoft will announce a new system at E3 in June...

We're in an industry where we talk a lot, where we like to tell stories. I'm not convinced things are happening this year. The Xbox 360 cycle is not at all finished. We are not planning any price cuts this year. And it's too early to talk about E3. What is certain is that there will be nothing new in 2012. If we were competing with Nintendo we would have to come up with something immediately, but that's not the case. We are not there to counter Nintendo's offer and they are not there to fight against other manufacturers. Nintendo has placed itself in a different cycle, they advance at their own pace, successfully as we have seen with the Wii, and it's their turn to present their innovation.

Source: http://www.lepoint.fr/jeux-video/xbox-rien-de-nouveau-en-2012-28-01-2012-1424636_485.php

Elginer

Well maybe not E3 but I expect a nod to it. Thinking now, they don't want to overshadow Halo 4 their last big explosion this gen.

I don't know. Didn't Microsoft release the 360 after one E3?

We've known about the existence of their next platform since at least the start of 2004. It wasn't mentioned by name or even codename at E3 2004, but they did show an updated version of one of GDC 2004 tech demos. So it depends on how you look at it, but we've known about the console for two E3s before the launch.

Deleting a tweet after a few hours is probably the worst thing to do to try to rectify the leak.

Should have come up with some other explanation for the tweet, now it looks like a confirmation that Crytek was at an Xbox 3 meeting.

LiK

Deleting a tweet after a few hours is probably the worst thing to do to try to rectify the leak.

Should have come up with some other explanation for the tweet, now it looks like a confirmation that Crytek was at an Xbox 3 meeting.

should've clarified that he was looking to buy a SUV

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Well maybe not E3 but I expect a nod to it. Thinking now, they don't want to overshadow Halo 4 their last big explosion this gen.
They could always pull a "Twilight Princess" and release it on both formats. Perhaps the Durango version could feature visuals in native 1080p resolutions to differentiate it from the Xbox 360 offering.

Sean

Banned
I wonder why he would openly acknoweldge Durango like that? He had to know everyone would be pissed.

Well he's only got a couple dozen followers, which I assume are mostly fellow developers and colleagues that already knew about Durango. He wasn't exactly shouting it from the rooftops.

Still a big goof up though.

Well he's only got a couple dozen followers, which I assume are mostly fellow developers and colleagues that already knew about Durango. He wasn't exactly shouting it from the rooftops.

Still a big goof up though.

Maybe he didn't know about the durango rumor from kotaku.

TheOddOne

I know this was posted before but what does this mean for those other Kotaku rumors? Surely the used game thing is bullshit.
This seems to have been lost in the cloud of information coming out or people just don't want to awknowledge it, but the used game rumour was spread by a retailer.

MS has no such plans in place before the rumour got started. Pachter of all people said this, and when he is disregarding Kotaku rumours of all things then you can pretty much believe it.

GavinGT

Banned
consolesales610.jpg

Sales are up year-over-year and Microsoft knows Sony can't afford to put something out until like 2014. Nintendo is once again a wild card, but I don't think they're too worried about competing with the Wii U. They're finally eking out a decent profit with the Xbox business, and there's no guarantee that they'll ever even reach that point next generation. Considering how conservative Microsoft has been lately, it's clear to me that they're going to keep riding out these profits for a while longer.

Moreover, I don't think the software makers are ready for a 2012 release.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait until E3 2013 to announce a fall 2013 release date.

consolesales610.jpg

Sales are up year-over-year and Microsoft knows Sony can't afford to put something out until like 2014. Nintendo is once again a wild card, but I don't think they're too worried about competing with the Wii U. They're finally eking out a decent profit with the Xbox business, and there's no guarantee that they'll ever even reach that point next generation. Considering how conservative Microsoft has been lately, it's clear to me that they're going to keep riding out these profits for a while longer.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait until E3 2013 to announce a fall 2013 release date.

Woudn't that benefit Microsoft? They get sony trapped and Microsoft will do good nearly guaranteed again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom