• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: The Xbox 3's Code Name Is "Durango" [Crytek: Durango Meeting In London]

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevieP

Banned
This seems to have been lost in the cloud of information coming out or people just don't want to awknowledge it, but the used game rumour was spread by a retailer.

MS has no such plans in place before the rumour got started. Pachter of all people said this, and when he is disregarding Kotaku rumours of all things then you can pretty much confirm it.

Fixed it for you.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait until E3 2013 to announce a fall 2013 release date.

Yeah, that Crytek tweet seals the deal. There is zero chance we're not seeing Xbox Next at E3. Only question is the release date. Fall 2013 seems a pretty safe bet. I'm fucking pumped.

So Durango is probably the real code name given that the dude is running scared and deleted his entire twitter account lol.

Microsoft had him erased.

Well we pretty much do know that Durango is real, and that Crytek is developing Ryse for its Kinect 2-included launch.

I missed that. How do we know this?

Nothing, they post every rumor they find faintly credible. Just because one is true doesn't mean they all are.

Which I figured as much. Still I have to double-take some of them, I mean it does make sense for MS to use Blu-ray.

Yeah, that Crytek tweet seals the deal. There is zero chance we're not seeing Xbox Next at E3. Only question is the release date. Fall 2013 seems a pretty safe bet. I'm fucking pumped.

Its very possible we don't see anything official this year.

StevieP

Banned
Which I figured as much. Still I have to double-take some of them, I mean it does make sense for MS to use Blu-ray.

Of course they'll be using BluRay. I'd say it's almost a given that Kinect 2 will be in the box. The used game thing? It has been the bane of the existence of publishers for decades. Not that I agree with it, I'm just stating the case. Heck, Nintendo could be using its NFC tags for the same purpose in an "industry-agreed-upon" change next gen. Again, speculation and such and something I disagree with... but if they all do it, it's possible.

Sure it's possible... but it's far more possible all 3 next gen systems are going to be at E3.

and we thought Nintendo had ninjas...

Microsoft has been MUCH tighter this time around. I know this for a fact. They're not the super-leaky ship they once were.

consolesales610.jpg

Sales are up year-over-year and Microsoft knows Sony can't afford to put something out until like 2014. Nintendo is once again a wild card, but I don't think they're too worried about competing with the Wii U. They're finally eking out a decent profit with the Xbox business, and there's no guarantee that they'll ever even reach that point next generation. Considering how conservative Microsoft has been lately, it's clear to me that they're going to keep riding out these profits for a while longer.

Moreover, I don't think the software makers are ready for a 2012 release.

I'm pretty sure they'll wait until E3 2013 to announce a fall 2013 release date.

Ya know, I honestly think their down playing of the Wii U is just a marketing tactic....I honestly don't believe they aren't worried about the Wii U. If the Wii U comes with Nintendo exclusives and full third party support, I don't see how they can't be shitting their pants lol.

I am a Microsoft fan, but it's funny that they state Nintendo goes after a completely different crowd then Microsoft when in reality, Microsoft has been going for the Nintendo crowd while Nintendo realized they need the more dedicated gamer crowd lol.

GavinGT

Banned
Woudn't that benefit Microsoft? They get sony trapped and Microsoft will do good nearly guaranteed again.

It would give them an advantage over Sony next gen, to be sure, but that doesn't mean the tradeoff would necessarily be a wise financial decision. Microsoft is in the best possible position right now, and they've worked hard to get there. Starting from scratch and betting that it will pay off is perhaps imprudent. To be sure, Microsoft has some very forward-looking dudes who are way smarter than any of us, and they've already crunched the numbers and projected which alternative would yield them the most profits.

Ya know, I honestly think their down playing of the Wii U is just a marketing tactic....I honestly don't believe they aren't worried about the Wii U. If the Wii U comes with Nintendo exclusives and full third party support, I don't see how they can't be shitting their pants lol.

I am a Microsoft fan, but it's funny that they state Nintendo goes after a completely different crowd then Microsoft when in reality, Microsoft has been going for the Nintendo crowd while Nintendo realized they need the more dedicated gamer crowd lol.

If Wii U was just a Wii HD, I'd agree. But I don't see Wii U competing head-to-head with Kinect. I don't think one is a substitute for the other, in the eyes of consumers.

StevieP

Banned
The big news here that there is a big XBOX3 meeting going down.

We all know the earlier versions of kits have been out there since late last year, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

I have a motto when I talk to women: "actions speak louder than words"

Big meeting? Dunno. But okay :)

Well maybe big isn't the best word, but im pretty sure whatever is being discussed at that meeting is NDA'd to death. Its defintely significant.
StevieP said:
We all know the earlier versions of kits have been out there since late last year, so this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.
Except, we didn't know that at all.

Reason to believe?

Sure, but it was far from confirmed.

Did we know, or suspect? Because we fucking know now. No rumors or anything, a developer just confirmed it. He actually double confirmed it by deleting it.

Did we know, or suspect? Because we fucking know now. No rumors or anything, a developer just confirmed it. He actually double confirmed it by deleting it.

And he said that CryEngine licensees were showing off videos of some of the stuff they've done in another tweet... which essentially confirms the dev kits probably have been out there for a while, and those rumours from Develop about CryTek and EA having the next Xbox devkits last year were probably real.

GavinGT

Banned
Fair enough. Although i see Microsoft still having 360 sell even with the next system out.

That's a fair point. There would still be plenty of devs still making games for the current gen, but....perhaps too many? I just don't see many devs jumping forward to the next gen, considering how much money they would stand to make by continuing to develop current gen games for a much wider audience. The question then becomes: Is it worth it to push out expensive hardware when it might not have the support to warrant it? Times have changed since 2005, and I'm not sure devs will be so eager to adopt a new platform like they did with the 360. Plus, they're going broke as it is, and the tech jump will only further cripple their bottom lines.

elcranky

Banned

I have a motto when I talk to women: "actions speak louder than words"

Late last year was the production of final chips not early kits. Early kits have probably been out for 12-18 months at this point. Final Kits are supposedly out now with the actual chips so that really implies launch this year.

Dabanton

Very silly mistake by that guy. Twitter and NDA's do not mix and he must have been under a tough one.

One good thing is that Cryengine looks like it will be used a lot next gen considering the magic they pulled off with it on PS3 and Xbox 360 i'm salivating at what they have up their sleeves.

Late last year was the production of final chips not early kits. Early kits have probably been out for 12-18 months at this point. Final Kits are supposedly out now with the actual chips so that really implies launch this year.

No chance. I'd like it to, but not happening with Halo 4 coming to 360 this year. Price cut and halo this year, next system in time for holiday 2013.

nordique

consolesales610.jpg

Sales are up year-over-year and Microsoft knows Sony can't afford to put something out until like 2014. Nintendo is once again a wild card, but I don't think they're too worried about competing with the Wii U. They're finally eking out a decent profit with the Xbox business, and there's no guarantee that they'll ever even reach that point next generation. Considering how conservative Microsoft has been lately, it's clear to me that they're going to keep riding out these profits for a while longer.

Moreover, I don't think the software makers are ready for a 2012 release.

Don't forget, the current Xbox 360 success has little to do with their Next Gen plans. Kits for the Next Xbox have been around since late last summer, so I would assume Microsoft was planning this console well in advance. This would mean the current sales of the Xbox have little meaning with whatever schedule they were planning several years ago (when these exceptional 360 sales didn't exist)

We shall see when the successor Xbox comes out (I agree with you it will likely be 2013) but hopefully they show that shiny new Kinect at E3.

nordique

No chance. I'd like it to, but not happening with Halo 4 coming to 360 this year. Price cut and halo this year, next system in time for holiday 2013.

This is what I think would make sense from a business standpoint too, and similar to what I'm expecting, but you never know.

Don't forget how quickly the 360 rolled out (though I assume Microsoft has learned from that mis-launch ;) )

Microsoft made much headway last gen by being the first to the market. It might not be best to give Nintendo, who is more their competitor now than Sony was during the PS2 era, a head start on not just sales but coaxing developers to create engines primarily for their system.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
If Nexbox is as far as long as some here think that is good for Nintendo. Maybe a leap like ps2 to the o.g. xbox after all, insteasd of the huge leap between the two machines some think.

How do you know any of this? Are there rumor's (links) out there that kits have been out since 2010?

Jonm1010

Banned
If Nexbox is as far as long as some here think that is good for Nintendo. Maybe a leap like ps2 to the o.g. xbox after all, insteasd of the huge leap between the two machines some think.

So basically a console that for 70% of the games you can barely differentiate the differences between the 360 version and the next gen counterpart? And under the best scenario you see only a minor increase almost no casual observer could really differentiate?

I certainly hope you're wrong. That would be miserable for another 7 years.

And would bring into question why companies like unreal would even develop a new engine. Since under this scenario the next box games would essentially look like the mid level PC ports of current gen games.

J-Rzez

Who's to say Halo 4 won't exactly be playable on the nextbox? They can easily pull a TP, or push it much further in differences, but still allowing them to be compatible in MP with each version. Med vs Ultra in PC-speak.

NHale

How do you know any of this? Are there rumor's (links) out there that kits have been out since 2010?

If it was out since 2010 we would have seen this leak 3 months after that. Leaks started a couple of months ago, so unless you believe devs are going to make games in less than 1 year for a new hardware, the 2012 release is just a dream.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.
So basically a console that for 70% of the games you can barely differentiate the differences between the 360 version and the next gen counterpart? And under the best scenario you see only a minor increase almost no casual observer could really differentiate?

And would bring into question why companies like unreal would even develop a new engine. Since under this scenario the next box games would essentially look like the mid level PC ports of current gen games.

Why would any of the games look like a 360 game ? The Wiiu is more powerful then that The nexbox will be more powerful but not by a huge margin somethink. I think some of grossly miscaculating the type of leap possible in a machine launching in the next two years. I see nothing wrong with havinfg 3 slightly different consoles on the market.

Who's to say Halo 4 won't exactly be playable on the nextbox? They can easily pull a TP, or push it much further in differences, but still allowing them to be compatible in MP with each version. Med vs Ultra in PC-speak.

Possible, but doesn't make much sense since the power of Halo can sell systems. Why waste that power by putting out a duel release instead of forcing the fans into next Gen?

StevieP

Banned

A newer IBM CPU and a Turks GPU would fly circles around Xenos. Doesn't matter that they'd be considered "mid range" in the context of a high-end PC. UE4 is being developed to further streamline the development pipeline from mobile phones all the way to the high-end PCs.

If it was out since 2010 we would have seen this leak 3 months after that. Leaks started a couple of months ago, so unless you believe devs are going to make games in less than 1 year for a new hardware, the 2012 release is just a dream.

Microsoft has been much MUCH tougher with leaks this time around. With that said, I wish [Nintex] were still around. He had a comprehensive list of said leaks that were indeed dating back about a year. Regardless, the kits have been out there for awhile now.

Why would any of the games look like a 360 game ? The Wiiu is more powerful then that The nexbox will be more powerful but not by a huge margin somethink. I think some of grossly miscaculating the type of leap possible in a machine launching in the next two years. I see nothing wrong with havinfg 3 slightly different consoles on the market.

Yup. Interface will be a bigger differentiator next gen than internal hardware.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I would be very surprised if Microsoft just gives Nintendo the whole holiday season without doing anything.

It would be a really neat move to present the new Xbox before the WiiU launch, possibly making it high end and getting people to ignore the WiiU and just wait for a real next gen console next year.

That is what I'm thinking to. There's no way devs kits been out for 12-18 months and were just hearing these leaks now.

GhaleonEB

Deleting tweets and such is always a great way to draw further attention to it, once it's already gotten attention. Ignoring it would have been wiser.

Nice catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom