• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Xbox 3 has BluRay, Kinect 2 w/ processor, anti-used games, 8x 360 power

Indyana

Microsoft will upgrade its disc technology for its next Xbox from DVDs to Blu-Ray discs, catching up to rival Sony, games industry sources tell Kotaku.

Sony's PlayStation 3 currently supports Blu-Ray, which can contain 25 or 50GB of data compared to DVD's 9GB.

But that disc detail could be far less impactful to the next generation of game consoles than the assertion I've heard from one reliable industry source that Microsoft intends to incorporate some sort of anti-used game system as part of their so-called Xbox 720.
It's not clear if that means that the system wouldn't play used games or how such a set-up would work. Obvious approaches—I'm theorizing here—like linking a copy of a game to a specific Xbox Live account could seemingly be foiled by used-game owners who would keep their system offline. My source wasn't sure how Microsoft intended to implement any anti-used game system in the new machine.

A push in any way by Microsoft against used games would likely be cheered from publishers sick of seeing retailers like GameStop crow about their revenues from the sale of used games. But it could potentially anger consumers who rely on buying cheaply-sold used games or even pass games to relatives or friends.

One source familiar with Microsoft's plans for the new Xbox said Microsoft plans to ship their new Xbox with a new version of its red-hot Kinect hands-free sensor system. The new Kinect would contain an on-board processor, a feature originally intended for the first Kinect. That processor would enable a new Kinect to more effectively detect users' motions.

I'm also hearing that Microsoft is interested in making a smaller controller for its new console.

And what of gaming site IGN's report that the machine could be six times more powerful than the Xbox 360? From some industry sources I'm hearing that that's the right ballpark and that Microsoft is estimating they might even get to 8x the Xbox 360. But another insider clarified that no one in the industry has development kits yet and that any talk about specs right now is still hypothetical.

kotaku

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Anti-used game system means no MS system for me next go-around.

I won't support any of that crap. That's infringing on personal rights as a consumer.

Magnus

May as well have only included the bit about anti-used game playback. That's all this thread will be about, lol.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Sincerely doubt they would just nuke used game sales like that. If anything, I'd expect them to sell an "unlock" key for a used disc for $10, or even a subscription-style monthly fee for playing used discs

"I'm also hearing that Microsoft is interested in making a smaller controller for its new console."

PLEASE don't change the 360 pad too much. It's pretty much perfect.

PLEASE.

Xater

Let me tell you this: If I can no longer sell any games I will buy way less games than I am doing right now. I am probably not the only one and I don't think that is what they actually want to achieve with this.

Also I think that part sounds like bullshit.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Wasn't there a rumor about the new Xbox games being compatible with all Windows 8 PC games too? That would have the no used games rumor make a bit more sense.

Kusagari

Meanwhile at Gamestop HQ:

polls_Noooooooooo_5717_266778_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

McHuj

It like the rumor flood gates opened up. We just need someone to leak some official design documents now.

Empty

sounds like a source putting out something they want ms to do. it's just too hard to believe given the utility of cheap used games in selling hardware (+ live) to a large subset of their audience.

Anth0ny

No smaller than the GC controller please. 360 is second only to GC.

Also, lol at anti used games. doesn't really effect me too much, but it's still pretty brutal.

What if 720 is anti used games and PS4 isn't =O

ElRenoRaven

Yeah the controller is just fine right now. But all this rumors are discouraging me from getting the Nextbox.

I agree with you. I don't want kinect. I don't want a smaller controller, and I sure as hell don't want them preventing me for selling my games or trading them away if I so choose. If these rumors come true then I sure as hell won't be buying the Xbox 3 at all.

Any console that is going to block me from playing used games is a no buy for me.
The reveal of this console should be interesting.

Top Bottom