• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Ryse QTEs complete themselves! Devs: Please do not be frustrated.

Jackpot

Banned
Mod hijack--two threads, same discussion. Two will become one.

QTE or not QTE? That is the question.

Jackpot said:
Its Kinect heritage showing through.

I’m on the battlefield. I’m stomping through the corpses of my comrades swinging my sword at anything that moves. I begin a combo, I slash twice and then whooom slow motion is initiated, shit is about to get ‘cinematic’. A button prompt hovers elusively above the sword I’m about to drive into the throat of my enemy… argh I’m too slow! The prompt flickers, disappears.

I missed it. Damn.

But then somehow, for some reason, I still complete the cinematic ‘kill’.

What?

Maybe it’s a bug I think, but no. Next time I deliberately press the wrong button. The kill goes ahead, no consequences. Then I try hitting no buttons whatsoever. The kill goes ahead. I put the controller on the table in front of me, the kill goes ahead.

What is going on here?

I ask one of the Crytek people hovering at the booth – is this a bug? Why am I completing kills when I hit the wrong button prompt? Or, worse, no button at all. Turns out it was a deliberate design choice.

“We don’t want the player to feel frustrated,” I am told.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/06/why-ryse-is-the-most-frustrating-game-of-e3/

I'm assuming this was for demo purposes but the Kotaku article takes the slant that this will be in the final game.

Parry system is time based:

Execution system:
Not a QTE, if You fail combination You get different animation and You dont get bonuses [health, strength, XP], context, combo and environmental based. Prompts can be turn off.
Over 100 execution moves can be unlocked through the game.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/12/the-brutal-proactive-combat-of-ryse-son-of-rome/

All kinect features are optional, You can enable them with buttons. Kinect uses gestures and voice commands for some actions.

Enemies Health was significantly decreased in on-stage demo, they wont be as easy to kill. Booth demo had different hp values.

Adam Sessler interview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG6hpTOrMx4
They are talking about story progression, that there is multiplayer, technology and also they are talking about executions.

Tara Long impressions from MS booth - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHrnuyyn5U4

---
Yeah, Kotaku being Kotaku as usual.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Well, it did start off as a Kinect game after all. Have to fudge the commands a little.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That's some next-gen QTE shit right there, going from a semi-cinematic QTE experience to a fully cinematic experience!

So awesome it plays the game for you!

The_Monk

How sad is this...

By the way, anyone read that Twitter from someone on Sony Santa Monica Studios? It was something like: "For someone who worked on the GoW games I apologize for what QTEs have done this generation" or something similar.

MormaPope

Banned
See, here's the thing. Without the QTE's, the combat somehow looks more basic than bare bones. You hit a dude a few times, and then block if he's fast enough to hit back.

It's not a Kinect game after all anymore ? I though they just had hid the Kinect features for E3 because they didn't want to put the emphasis on casual stuff there and that the retail game would have Kinect and Controller support ?

Dang0

Apparently the only penalty for missing the QTE is getting less experience according to other previews.

mxgt

Banned
what happened to you crytek, you used to be cool

who the hell even wants to 'play' games like this? it looks the complete opposite of fun

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I am not kidding: This is literally the dumbest game decision in history.

Seriously, I cannot think of anything more warped and condescending that a shitty game that does everything for you, since the devs believe the players have the patience and mental capacities of a 5 years old.

Disgusting. Flat out. Explains the entire console too. If they believe people can't be assed to press a fucking button, they might as well believe they won't say shit about their user rights being curbstomped.

Shinta

Banned
I guess this is what they meant by the QTEs not being required. It's a twist, I'll give them that much.

I had no idea that the cloud would do all my QTEs for me. If that's not next gen, I don't know what is.

Top Bottom