• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Zedox

Oh so when people been talking about a Xbox One Pro (aka me) and the updated ways of hardware with consoles...some people "laughed". I hope it's true for all consoles. No need to keep these generations that long. This is exactly what a bunch of people speculated (just on the MS side based off of Phil's comments).

sora87

No Sony, no.

...well, actually, if games continue to work on my PS4 and you don't need the new one for them I don't really care.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Im all in

Too early for a brand new console, yet we dont want a 8 year cycle like last gen. So lemme upgrade.

Arttemis

imshocked.jpg

All console manufactures begin work on the next console as soon as the release one. There's no indication as to when this PS4K would launch. Is it said to be similar just because it's running x86 architecture again?

This is way too vague to mean anything.

Awesome if true. I would love to see new hardware revs every 2-3 years that are forwards and backwards compatible within the same console generation, but just faster.

4k?

Ufbr5ej.gif

Seems a reasonable assumption, based on the comments from MS regarding this. Whether or not people will accept incremental upgrades for Xbox, Sony has to be ready to answer if it turns out to be true.

The transition is real.

Ehhh, no. What's the reason?

This feels like a "Nintendo is definitely doing a Wii HD" rumor, and years later we got the Wii U.

However, I could see a PS5 launching with PSVR 2.0 and more power.

Omadahl

Banned
PS4 U. I don't have a 4k TV, so there's no appeal here. This whole thing strikes me as being very cocky and niche.

But I thought Microsoft was going to do this

...Wait, Sony is on their TV kick right now with Playstation Vue

Oh my god
oh no
WHO DO I SHOOT *hastily points pistol at two companies*

gamz

All the Sony fans that hated MS plans are gonna be piiiissssed. I love that Sony and MS are doing this!

So they're going Apple style with regular update apparently.

In one case I'll get better performance but in the other I don't know to buy a third "PS4".

Let's see how it goes and what price it'll be.

daman824

Fuck.this.

When spencer hinted at this I thought to myself how glad I was that my ps4 is my main console. But now? Fuck you Sony. And the worst part is, they might make money doing this.

Here comes everyone praising Sony for how smart they are

So... would anyone who is interested in PS VR *NOT* upgrade to this system if it increases the performance?

PSVR might have just gotten a lot more expensive!

KingBroly

Banned
No Sony, no.

...well, actually, if games continue to work on my PS4 and you don't need the new one for them I don't really care.

At some point, base PS4 owners are going to be left behind if they keep doing it while keeping the same name.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow. Won't this fragment the userbase?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
All of this is rather risky, I'd have thought. Part - though not all - of the console appeal is (was?) to opt out of comparative performance anxiety for a generation.

And this chatter can't help sales if the device doesn't materialise soon.

Top Bottom