• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Okay, the console market needs to slow the eff down. Let me work through this VR thing in the fall first before we talk about upgradable whatever the hells.

All the Sony fans that hated MS plans are gonna be piiiissssed. I love that Sony and MS are doing this!

I'm as skeptical about this as I was with the X1 discussion. That is, it makes sense but I question how they can actually market and educate consumers on this effectively without confusing them.

Emedan

Only plausible thing would be to release a PS4 with internal specs needed for VR to make the extra addon other than headset unnecessary

Calibos

This seems to lend a bit of legitimacy of the speculation that there will be a more powerful Xbox One.1 coming out this fall...

...and that whole "upgradeed X1" conversation turned into a bloodbath so it will be interesting to see how the "pro-PS4" people here react to this...

For me, I would happily upgrade my PS4 or X1 if it meant solid frame rates with all the bells and whistles...

The God

Yup. I suspect developers pushed them both on this because of how they seem to be struggling with some demanding games this early in the gen

but if that's the case how does an upgrade system solve the problem? Wouldn't developers still be making games for the current PS4 as the baseline?

Hell no, if this comes out in 3 years then I'm ok with it because it'll just be a PS5, but if it comes out in like 1 year then I won't shell out 400$ for something I don't need aka 4K or slightly upgraded graphics.

fantomena

I can confirm this rumor is true. My friends dad is a gamedev at Sony Japan studios and they got a small look at the PS4 SLim or whatever you want to call it. It's not a lot of more difference, but there are some power leaps and the devide itself is a bit smaller. It's far from done and won't be at E3 this year though.

Jonboy

Day 1.

851806201.gif

Oh shiiiiiiiiiit time for some theoretical hypocricy. Anyone think this is a good idea when Sony does it but a bad idea when Microsoft does it?

Oh god this shit is stupid...what are you thinking MS and now Sony? I'm sure Nintendo is planning the same shit. Thanks a lot fucking Apple. Your stupid incremental bullshit has infested the console space.

Zaph

Would love to know what GPU they're going to fit in there go get games playable at 4k - even a 980ti struggles.

If true I imagine it'd be used for film/tv content, and maybe the occasional indie game that isn't too demanding.

BeeDog

Don't know what to think of this. On one hand, if the transition is smooth (i.e. all current games work on PS4K and even benefit from the spec bump) and there might be some trade-in program, then perhaps, but I don't appreciate the fact that this will segment of the market by pushing out users who are not able to upgrade.

What PS4 owners wouldn't feel obligated to upgrade when the difference is this great? If it can play games at 4k it's basically a PS5 lol.

Strongly dislike this. If true, I might stop buying consoles.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Not interested in an incremental upgrade to PS4. I liked the old 4-8 year gens. Sticking with my phat launch PS4, hopefully it is compatible with almost all of the same games.

This is just going to piss people off unless there's some cheaper box you can connect through the Aux port that adds secret sauce.*

Part of the draw of consoles is the fixed hardware...

*Not the technical term

Been calling this shift since the x86 rumours.

Consumer electronics doesnt do 7 year cycles anymore.

Also next year would mark the PS4's 4th year... crazy how times flies.

VAD

Sooo, now you have to upgrade your ps4 (or buy another one) to play psvr? I don't see how a usb external graphic card would be benefical. The only realistic option is an all new ps4 but if that the case, I will cancel my psvr preorder to go with Oculus or Vive.
I hope it's bullshit.

Wace

Well, Nintendo's 2DS and n3DS didn't bring any hatred, did they? If all the games will be still playable - who would REALLY care?

Just consider it as a more expensive SKU, that is able to output 4K. Marketing can go with "console for ones with huge TVs", claiming that all those FullHD (and HDReady and other old sets) TVs are ok with the old version.

With 40 million of consoles out there I'm sure devs would be able to include invisible options switch for graphics. Also, would allow to bring better VR games for those who's interested (limited to new console, but hey, Xenoblade on n3DS?)

Pooya

Good move, 5-6 year wait for new hardware is just non sense. When you can produce cheap capable hardware like PS4 that can practically be developed with incremental upgrades and maintain software compatibility, there is no reason not to make a better one every 3 years or so. Yeah, 'children' will complain but they will get over it.

Quonny

If both console manufacturers go down this route, I'm out. I'm going to switch to PC. The whole point of consoles is because I don't want to worry about this stuff.

Might as well get exactly what I want if they're gonna do this.

I probably won't upgrade to 4k soon and am unconvinced by PSVR so far. Unless it would have tangible benefits at 1080p I don't know that I'd even bother getting one.

Kindekuma

Banned
Eh, I'd rather the PS4 try to tackle higher frame rates than 4K. It's either 4K at 30 (or less) or we can stick with 1080p and hit 60 (if not higher).

So... would anyone who is interested in PS VR *NOT* upgrade to this system if it increases the performance?

PSVR might have just gotten a lot more expensive!

I'd be tempted, especially if it was a given that it'd improve performance on games already released as well, and offered a much bigger (at least 2TB) drive.

Kevin

Maybe they want the VR processing unit inside the system? Maybe just upgraded the PS4 to include the extra power needed for VR games? This is my guess...

Interesting mix of responses in this thread. I could see it happening, myself, and the possibility of an upgraded system was the first thing that came to my head when reading of Sony's VR plans.

Top Bottom