• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Sony is working on a ‘PS4.5; briefing devs on plans for a more powerful PS4

Bsigg12

Between NX rumors, Microsoft looking at iterating more often with Xbox consoles and now this, it feels like the beginning of another generation and it is amazing.

I do think the traditional console cycle is going to die, it was only a matter of time.

Sony probably isn't happy with VR performance on PS4. Holding off to see how PSVR turns out, but if I have to rebuy a PS4 for the best experience... I'll just not even think about getting PSVR and stick with the Vive. I am long due for a few pc upgrades anyway. I have no need to upgrade my PS4.

Joco

This seems like a misunderstanding. A 4k capable PC easily runs $1500+, I don't see how Sony is going to make a PS4.5 capable of gaming in 4k for $400. I can see Netflix and Blu-ray 4k support for an updated model, but otherwise this seems false to me.

wapplew

If they do this there probably won't be a PS5. Just PlayStation 2017, PlayStation 2019, etc. Iterative updates to the PlayStation platform.

If you want, buy every other one (or every third one!) and it's just like a console generation.

And all PS 2016/2017/2018/2019/2020 only play different version of PS4 games.

I'm okay with short gens, because technology stagnating sucks, but what has PS4 produced so far? Bloodborne is probably the only great exclusive.

If we get shorter gens, we need more great exclusives.

if it's just take the game that's made for the PS4 but render it at 4K, then i'm ok with it. if it's an add on, i'm ok with it. if it's a new console and some games are only compatible with the upgraded version i'm not as ok with it.
Thats exactly what it seems like. There's no way they're ditching the current hardware owners and make games exclusive for PS4K. At best, it'll give you better framerate, a 4K scaler, and a better VR experience.

Sony can't afford to have a GTX 980 equivalent hardware on PS4.

While I don't disagree with you, David Ricardo shouldn't be able to decide what is the "Sweet Spot" for (Insert Name Here). There should be options like PC but walled gardenish so that people can jump in (or upgrade) at the power level (and cost) they want to.

That said there should be standards set by the companies. The lowest supported system (Ps4 XOne) should run at least at 900p/30fps for example. That would garner some good will among current PS4 owners.
PS4 ports will look worse than they would if the game was developed for that console while still holding back the PS4.5 version.
Making the console market a permanent cross-gen environment will make console gaming worse for everyone, IMO.

Gamers should stop expecting next gen increases similiar to eras where 3d progress was non existent vs it being firmly established. We will never have the gains of the mid 90s till about 2005 again, short of a miracle no amount of shrinking the gpu size or engineering will make it happen.
I don't expect a jump like the one we got from Snes to PS1, but I want to feel like PS4 has given all it can give technically before a PS5 comes out. Mark Cerny said we wouldn't see all PS4 can give until 2017-2018. If Sony releases a PS4.5 before that, we might never see the full potential of PS4. Also, a PS4.5 released in 2017 would be worse than what Sony could release a year later. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Look at what happened the last time Sony let Microsoft get a 1 year head start and Sony had far and away the best selling console on the market.
Well, Sony let Sega get a 1 year head start and that seemed to work just fine. xbox one looks more like the saturn than OG Xbox to me.

If this happens, I doubt we will see it till late 2017 at the earliest. I think a lot of the talk may just be due to wanting to be prepared if VR really takes off and they need to push out something as a stopgap till a proper ps5 can be released.

Crayon

Thats exactly what it seems like. There's no way they're ditching the current hardware owners and make games exclusive for PS4K. At best, it'll give you better framerstes, a 4K scaler, and a better VR experience.

A scalar wouldn't even give you better performance. It would just clean up the picture nicely for 4k displays.

Between NX rumors, Microsoft looking at iterating more often with Xbox consoles and now this, it feels like the beginning of another generation and it is amazing.

I do think the traditional console cycle is going to die, it was only a matter of time.

Agree.

Im fine with more constant upgrades every 3-4 years. Current Consoles already struggle with a lot of stuff and games.

dumbo

Yep, the news does seem to imply that Sony is reacting to the Microsoft rumours.

Rather than Sony jumping the gun, it is quite likely that Sony will be the last manufacturer to enter 'next gen'.

The downside is that developers are going to struggle to keep up.

Stike

Prediction:

Expect feature parity in the beginning, only difference is resolution.

Then expect extra bells and whistles difference.

Then expect full feature exclusives (64 players ONLY on PS4.5)

Then expect exclusive games. Or ports so stripped down on PS4 that you have no choice but to upgrade.

---------------------------------------------------

The PC model in the hands of those running the console industry can potentially be fucking scary, and make you regret hardware homogenization.

Yeah, and here we have it. Fragmentation. The thing that kept the "PC-ness" at bay in the console space, despite Horse Armor and HDDs and Game Updates...

Romir

What if it's just a display port/HDMI2 upgrade model? HDMI doesn't support 4K. The Xbox 360 didn't support HDMI until the second iteration.

AMD's current gpus don't support HDMI 2.0 which Sony probably wants ASAP for BluRay UHD support in the PS4. Current BluRay UHD players cost $500! Sony would once again be in a position to sell their console as a new format player.

If it's possible to re-design the old gpu, I don't know. They didn't bother for the R9 Fury even though they market it as a 4k ready card. Maybe it was too expensive to re-design.

However, AMD's upcoming gpus will support HDMI 2.0.

Gurish

I really don't want them to focus on 4K, it's such a niche, don't mind if they patch older games to run at such res, but please I want to play TLOU2 at 1080P and the most mind blowing visuals possible.

If they will mostly focus on 4K I won't bother.

vcc

I think that if they were smart they would. My opinion though.

Where is the money in it for them? They'd maybe get a few more first party sales and then they have to cut good deals with 3rd parties to compete with steam. A lot of the PC release issues are also not Sony's strengths. They sold off the division which had much of the Pc expertise (SOE).

Would the effort be worth it? They need to spend to expand their capabilities and them compete with the folks already on the PC. The PC market is both smaller, demanding, and a few players have most of the money locked up (Riot, Blizzard, Valve, CD project Red).

4K is the reason why I don't think the system is launching before late next year or only going to be a minor incremental update. You don't push 4x more pixels with an incremental update.

If the future is incremental upgrades where some games are optimised for the newer upgrade, but you can still play them on older versions!...with 15 fps, I'd have to think really hard what to buy going forward.

BumRush

Not really sure how I feel. On one hand, I'm not looking forward to buying a $500 PSVR and a $400 console in the same generation as the PS4. On the other hand, it'd be nice to play in 4K when I get a 4K TV soon. Hmmm...

Baleoce

If this is true, and indicative of where the console space is headed, then I have no reason to stick with it, and would rather use my money further investing in my PC.

paskowitz

Um... if my overclocked 980 Ti Classified can barely handle 4K games... I fail to see how a PS4.5 could possibly handle 4K. Considering the components they choose to use will have a couple years of lag time.. I don't see how this is going to work.

This seems like a misunderstanding. A 4k capable PC easily runs $1500+, I don't see how Sony is going to make a PS4.5 capable of gaming in 4k for $400. I can see Netflix and Blu-ray 4k support for an updated model, but otherwise this seems false to me.

That's exactly what it's going to be. Quote me on this in 2017 when (and if) it happens.

1. 4K Blu-ray playback.
2. 4K Netflix playback.
3. 4K PSVue playback.
4. 4K Upscaler for existing games.
5. Improved framerate for VR games.
6. Improved framerate for existing games.
7. 4K UI.
8. Better graphics?

That's it. That's all I can expect. There's no way all games will magically be natively rendered at 4K with a $400 hardware. This is a small update before they jump to PS5 by 2021. It's not going to be a 980 equivalent hardware. It'll be a small refresh.

poodaddy

Games running at 4K necessitates a massive upgrade in terms of GPU horsepower, so I wonder what price that would place it at. It's interesting news to be sure, and I can't help but wonder if VR is the big catalyst for this decision. Regardless, I await hardware specs before making any notable assumptions and speculations.

ShutterMunster

Why would they launch a machine that plays flower style games in 4k? Why step back?

Because that same machine would be capable of playing 1080p games with additional bells and whistles? Like is this seriously a question?

That's even sillier than the rumor in the OP.
Besides, PS4 can already run many older games at 4K, in theory. The devs of Trine 2 said publicly that PS4 could hold a steady 30fps in that game at 4K.

It's not sillier, it's logical. You're not getting 4K Uncharted 4 experiences on your PS4K. If they really want 4K games expect simplified indie or smaller scale (visually) experiences.

With the move of all the consoles going to x86/x64 infrastructure, I'm not surprised at the natural inclination to want to do incremental upgrades. I'm sure Sony/MS are smart enough to not flood the market with tons of variants that confuse and upset the consumers. They know that consoles are appealing to consumers/families because you don't have to be technically savvy to make a informed purchase.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This move is entirely for VR, the 4k speak is just to pull the wool over people "afraid" of VR. I call these people Ostriches because they plunge their head into the sand and ignore what is staring them right in the face (fuck telling me its a myth, its great imagery).

Sony is going all in on VR, because they know the future of video games (and entertainment as a whole) is VR. But they don't want to scare the Ostriches, so they are not upgrading this console for VR, its for 4k guys, no really, we promise. :D

Well, 5 to 6 years from now, when VR is exploding (BTW, all genres work in VR), Sony will have conditioned the Ostriches into accepting VR so PS5 can be a VR only device.

And guess who will be transitioning from selling multiple types of TVs to multiple types of VR screens/systems used in not only playstation but the PC space?

Sony.

Iacobellis

I'm okay with short gens, because technology stagnating sucks, but what has PS4 produced so far? Bloodborne is probably the only great exclusive.

If we get shorter gens, we need more great exclusives.

It sounds more like an iPhone or Android-based device. Newer, more powerful hardware each year, but based on the same architecture. The same apps work without the need for developers to completely rewrite them.

El-Suave

I think that we'll definitely see PSN on PC. There's no way Sony is going to let Microsoft start making money on the PC with their exclusives and they don't and the PS is the same architecture. It just makes sense (and then Sony will be exiting the console market. ;)... /s).

I look forward to the day where you choose where you play and your games follow you. It just makes sense to me.

Going to PC is the only way MS will make decent money with their first party games in many markets seeing how XBox performs there this generation. That's the fundamental difference between the current situation of the two publishers. I'm not saying the Windows push wouldn't have happened otherwise as a publisher salvaging their portfolio is the primary motivation in my opinion. Drawing people to their Windows store is a nice side effect.

But games take 3 to 4 years to make. Jesus, I have the feeling that nothing happened yet in this gen. No Rockstar Games, no Gran Turismo, no Naughty Dog game, no Sony Santa Monica game...

I believe the point would be to make it like PC games... you know, where you can take advantage of new hardware and your software isn't tied into anything.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Yeah 4k is pretty niche right now. I think the details will be revealed and it's a HDMI upgrade with a 4k scalar built in. And everyone will go meh.

It's possible that my story is wrong, but then my sources are wrong, too. I specifically asked about a new GPU, and they said it's not just upscaling: it's a new GPU.

My gut tells me we're looking at Sony being able to brag about 4K, even if lots of games don't use it. (I'll take 1080p/60fps, thanks!) You know, like using a Vita as a second monitor, 3D games, and PS3 releases at 1080p.

vcc

A scalar wouldn't even give you better performance. It would just clean up the picture nicely for 4k displays.

I could also see them doing a die shrink and maybe getting SATA 3.2, USB 3.0, better wifi. That's would be the standard stuff in a new SKU and all that stuff would be on the OS side to handle.

AniHawk

god damn

i thought generation 9 would be the last, not generation 8. i had expected this sort of thing to start happening with 'playstation 5' where dedicated hardware becomes increasingly meaningless as upgrades happen more often.

nx, xb1, and now playstation all seem to point to this sort of future though.

-Horizon-

Top Bottom