• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Destiny 2 coming to PC [UPDATE: Loads of extra info]

gossi

You didn't have to create a new character for TTK and you kept all your shaders and emblems.

Yeah, but in 10 years (probably being a bit optimistic) when the Destiny 1 servers shut down, you lose it all anyway. You're renting the characters, they aren't yours. That is the joy of an online game.

I'd rather have the likeness than the loot. Some of us put some thought into our Guardians looks as hey are our avatar into the Destiny universe. Having your character just be discarded, it feels like all the things we did didn't matter in the end. I'd like Destiny to be a coherent journey.

Yea, I can see that. That should be easier to implement too.

I'm going to be repeating this until they confirm: no transferred characters, no buy.

I will be very sad if true

This would really piss me off especially as this was one of the original selling points to the game.

Honestly I may just say: "Fuck it" to Destiny 2 if that's true.

Such a dick move.

"Your Guardian will be with you your whole 10 year journey! Oh wait did we say 10 year? We meant 3 year journey. Say bye!"

If your character doesn't carry over that's some serious bullshit. Everything else sounds cool but my expectations will be in the gutter till the game is actually out.
and what exactly do people mean when they want their "characters to carry over"?

Do you mean your super powered weapons and equipment from 1 to 2? If so, wouldn't that wildly imbalance the game, and destroy it for newcomers? As well as cripple the single player portion?

Do you just mean shaders and looks for your character profiles? That seems easier and more reasonable.

Otherwise, if they rebalance and revamp the gear and weapons system for the better, then obviously they would need to drop the old shit for the future.

TyrantII

the comparison to d1 to d2 makes sense, then. Though If Destiny 1 ends with Rise of Iron(is it?) then that's a shitty way to go out and they definitely didn't "earn" their sequel.

They're talking more about game cohesiveness and making D2 a true sequils in terms of mechanics and design.

I don't think they're alluding to the story really getting rebooted. It'll just be the next major chapter before adding in more episodic expansions.

D1 had 3-4 major storylines, and only 1 was completed with Crotas End and the Taken King (with some threads left hanging). RoI kinda take care of the fallen, maybe, but there's still more to do.

The Travler hasn't even been touched, besides D1 generally being Guardians defending themselves and the city that grew under it

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Wasn't one of the initial selling points of Destiny's ten year plan was that you were carrying your character over the whole journey?

That all sounds fairly conceptual for a 2017 game.

Yeah and Jason has hinted before that Destiny 2 may not hit its normal September release slot. I don't think its impossible this gets pushed back to 2018.

That said the team is enormous and you can get a lot done with 750 people.

TyrantII

and what exactly do people mean when they want their "characters to carry over"?

Do you mean your super powered weapons and equipment from 1 to 2? If so, wouldn't that wildly imbalance the game, and destroy it for newcomers? As well as cripple the single player portion?

Do you just mean shaders and looks for your character profiles? That seems easier and more reasonable.

Otherwise, if they rebalance and revamp the gear and weapons system for the better, then obviously they would need to drop the old shit for the future.

A simple way to appease most people would be vanity slots. You can use them to alter appearance only, and it only uses Year 1 gear.

Seiru

Banned
I was so incredibly burned with Destiny, from the very first play session I had with it.

That being said, I will definitely give Destiny 2 a shot if it's coming to PC (though I'll wait for reviews this time).

Wasn't one of the initial sell points of Destiny's ten year plan was that you were carrying your character over the whole journey?
Honestly let them do a fresh start with d2 and use that as a framework then go from there instead of Destiny 1, leave all that behind then try again with Destiny 2, have the original vision fully realized then focus on the future with a strong foundation.

For my character transferring to Destiny 2, the minimum required in my opinion would be three things:

• Appearance transfer- if it can't be one to one, let me edit the details. I should still be a purple-skinned blue-haired Exo lady
  • I should remain my old class, or be allowed to select a new one with an accompanying story explanation for how this change happened
  • An acknowledgement in the story for who I am. I slew Oryx and became the first new Iron Lord in centuries, the other characters need to know me!

If we're doing whole new characters, they need to move the timeline somewhat and explain what happened to our old guardians and why we can't play as them. I'm okay with losing them if NECESSARY to make the story work, and if they can promise we won't have to lose them again in future games.

Gator86

Yeah and thats still on the table

Somewhat. Clearly they plan on letting veteran players have something to take with them

I dont understand the opposition either way.

I'm not sure anyone is opposed to people getting to bring stuff over, just not in favor of that being the thing holding D2 back from its potential ceiling. If your character is the thing holding us back from getting the game Bungie promised us all those years ago, I will come to your house and delete your stupid looking character myself.

TyrantII

Do people really want it coming to PC assuming it's still P2P? Did The Division ever get its hankering and cheating problem under control?

I can't see Destiny being much better unless they lock it down.

Aeqvitas

PC players can look forward to Bungie's unique brand of experiences, such as paying to be locked out of significant content for 2 years. PC players will be throwing money at the screen to buy new emotes!

I like the Diablo comparison. You can play for hundred of hours, get a shit ton of loot etc but when the next game hits its a new start. I'm not going to be salty my stuff from Diablo 3 doesn't transfer into Diablo 4. I'm gonna be all over that shit regardless.

Never really understood why Destiny wasn't on PC aside from them citing it being a massive undertaking to bring the game to current and last gen consoles. How were sales on the PS360? I can't imagine it would have done better than a PC release.

ViciousDS

Banned
Didn't hear me bitch about starting over in guild wars 2. Seemed pretty obvious to me that a new game means starting over. I have never heard of a sequel carrying data from the original over for any mmo Esque games outside of a realm reborn. That was more of a reboot than anything else or a huge overhaul to the original system while labeling it as a new game version instead of final fantasy XIV-2

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
PC players can look forward to Bungie's unique brand of experiences, such as paying to be locked out of significant content for 2 years. PC players will be throwing money at the screen to buy new emotes!

I mean basically the game's entire business model is stuff that's been on PC for decades.

DrBo42

That all sounds fairly conceptual for a 2017 game.
I don't think a 2017 release is going to happen. Unless it's a strict mandate from ATVI. Which would most likely result in a total rush job considering the semi-late leadership and vision changes. But maybe they already had the new/revised tools and engine work already well underway...who knows.

TyrantII

Didn't hear me bitch about starting over in guild wars 2. Seemed pretty obvious to me that a new game means starting over. I have never heard of a sequel carrying data from the original over for any mmo Esque games outside of a realm reborn. That was more of a reboot than anything else or a huge overhaul to the original system while labeling it as a new game version instead of final fantasy XIV-2

The original plan was something of multiple updates, major and minor, over 10 years; but you always bring your character (and I guess loot?) with you.

So I think they're leaking this to temper expectations. As originally it's not what they were saying when hyping Destiny.

Character reset is a given. Destiny 2 needs some serious changes for a lot of us who left the first game early on to take it seriously. Serious changes of the type that make using the same characters again not make sense.

It needs to be some serious Final Fantasy XIV tier changes.

The context was essentially that they had signed Bungie as a 10 year exclusive development partner, which they were using to assure investors after Infinity Ward had completely imploded a short period before.

Man, I really hope I can still recognize Bungie after all this is over. Weren't they a 100-man studio when Reach launched? And last I heard most of the pre-Halo guys left the company during the gap between Reach and Destiny.

Really hope that with the 650+ new guys Bungie's hired in the past six years that they're not another In Name Only studio by the time their contract with Activision is up - But I'm not getting my hopes up of course, Marty's gone and he isn't coming back.

Trace

Banned
Do people really want it coming to PC assuming it's still P2P? Did The Division ever get its hankering and cheating problem under control?

I can't see Destiny being much better unless they lock it down.

Person reporting in: Yes I do.

PvP is shit and will remain shit, I don't see hackers changing much there.

The original plan was something of multiple updates, major and minor, over 10 years; but you always bring your character (and I guess loot?) with you.

So I think they're leaking this to temper expectations. As originally it's not what they were saying when hyping Destiny.

They have never stated you would be able to bring loot through multiple Destiny games. Hell you couldn't even bring loot from Year 1 to Year 2, they re-released some of the guns instead.

Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, they have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

If they do drop D1 content, it likely won't be permanent - they might reintroduce areas in a more 'D2' fleshed out way. So we might lose temporary access to these places, then regain it or have to fight back for control of it at a later point in the plot. This means we'll get to see older areas or activities through the perspective of the newer content, which also means the older areas might expand considerably by the time we get back to them, since the design goal for playspaces is to now make them both way bigger & way denser with activities.

Edit: New races & factions are planned. No idea on whats happening with regards to classes however. New enemies within factions are also going to be introduced. Take the Psions for the Cabal for example - they are going to get fleshed out in D2.

I'm not sure anyone is opposed to people getting to bring stuff over, just not in favor of that being the thing holding D2 back from its potential ceiling. If your character is the thing holding us back from getting the game Bungie promised us all those years ago, I will come to your house and delete your stupid looking character myself.

I agree wholeheartedly

Kalentan

It's good that characters aren't going to carry over. Let it be a huge rehaul.

Plus, it doesn't really matter given how little of our gear carries over from expansion to expansion.

Not really. All The Taken King gear and weapons can be maxed out to the new Max Light level. They already solved the issue of that gear going away.

Trace

Banned
Yea, it's coming to PC. From what I'm told the decision to restructure was made thanks to a major memory ceiling being reached on last gen with regard to the Rise of Iron expansion, which was set to launch in the spring, not fall. Bungie decided to push out D2 since it was behind and needed much more iteration, and took advantage of the Rise of Iron delays to use that as the content stop gap for the fall of this year.

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, we have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Major narrative changes are on board for D2. Both in terms of plot direction, pacing & structure. Major focus is going to be on the Cabal & Saturn. Saturn is a playspace is set to be bigger than all of the playspaces currently implemented in the game combined. This is in large part of the scale of playspaces being redesigned, so it'll be both bigger & denser with activities. There's a reason Guardians take the fight to Saturn.

Major changes to the engine are occurring. Their render tech has gone through some major iteration thanks in large part to getting to approach it without having last-gen as a limit. Because of this, they are still undecided what, if any, of Destiny's old content, both in terms of playspace, areas, Strikes & raids, will be available through D2. There is talk in possibly allowing D1 remain as its own client, which flies against how Destiny currently operates, where as the new content renders the old client & content obsolete.

Live team has been going through some iteration so that they may continue to support Destiny with content after a major content drop, but they are stuck between a rock & a hard place. The live team is trying to support a game running on an old engine with its older tools, whereas the bulk of development is on the engine framework & enjoying new tools. Because of this, the Live team is largely handcuffed, so don't really expect a whole lot of post-launch content for D1 in the next year.

However, starting with the launch of D2, we will see far more substantial content dropping in the time between yearly releases, as the game & engine & live team have all been planned to support that going forward. Team is aware that they need more substantial content throughout the year, not just at the end of it.

Thank god.

AHA-Lambda

The contract was for four distinct games with four distinct expansion packs released over a 10 year period, with the first two years having no games released.

They're actually going slower than planned.

Given ATVI has had to put VV on this, and we've seen the reports before on troubles with Bungie's development pipeline.

As said earlier in the thread, much of this sounds quite conceptual for a game a year out, and seeing as they love their annualised franchises, I can't imagine ATVI is very happy with them =/

DMONKUMA

So wait.....what is the purpose of having 750+ People on one game?

Has any other game had something similar to that?

Destiny 2 is being overhauled so that they can build upon it in the future without having to work within the frame work limitations that D1 setup. Right now, the way things play out, we have to introduce playspaces so that players can engage in systems or activities, but it creates a huge barrier that must be overcome on both the networking & design side so, they're going to do more open playspaces that incorporate towns, outposts, etc into more common areas. This means fewer hardlines for areas and having them be gated by menus. Goal is to have players conducting things & making activity decisions while still in control of their character, instead of having to exit out into an activity hub. Think of how in WoW, you hit a button and queue into activities you want to do all while still playing your character.

Sounds absolutely amazing. Anything else you wanna give us a few hints towards?
-New factions races?
-returning factions?
-classes?

Gorillaz

destiny was always going to have that character/Mass Effect like progression problem from the beginning. I never believed that it was possible to bring one character over a course of 10 years through each thing. Destiny doesn't seem the type of game right now to even accomplish a feat like that and once it was brought up that they are reworking the hell out of the core of the series, I knew it was a wrap.

TyrantII

Crap, I thought Destiny was going to stay a console exclusive which is why a bought a PS4 ;_;

If PvP and PvE get hacked to shit, it still might be the smart choice. It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with pushing such a curated experience, to an open platform.

Sounds like good news to me if characters dont carry over.

Leave that old shit completely behind and start anew with a good game this time.

Top Bottom