• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC

People act as though Sony first party is the only reason people buy a PlayStation. Need I remind you there are other games that sell systems? FFVII Remake is a good example, huge system seller, and people are buying a PS4 knowing damn well about the limited exclusivity. Do you think they care? No. They just want to play the game day 1.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Sony putting 1st party on PC won’t do jack shit to their console sales, or at most it will have minimal effect. It’s the right move.
I remember arguing with PC port beggars last time 50 million less console sales and less duel console owners say different. Sure there were others factors but zero exclusives was the final nail in the coffin the rule of 3s. If you don't think there are not lots of cheap ass people who rather torrent or buy from uncle gabe for pennies on the dollar your being disingenuous. With both consoles on 1 platform for pennies on the dollar it will make plenty of people think twice. You can argue upfront costs savings on 2 500 dollar consoles and online fees buys a solid PC 12 months from now.

Mattyp

Gold Member
Nah i wont be giving them any money

i fully understand your position as an avid xbox fanboy youre abit triggered by what i said

But trust me this decision has nothing to do with such sentimentality

Unlike some of console warrior folks around here, i care not and have no allegiance to sony microsoft or nintendo

Its pure business il do what best for my interest and what benefit me most

You call me an avid xbox fan yet I would hold more Playstation games and consoles then yourself so I'm not sure how that works? Because I'm critical of Sony's first party line up this generation?

Triggered in what way? You're absolutely triggered Sony will be releasing their games on PC, I couldn't give a shit I will continue to play Playstation titles on console only even if they where to release on PC. You will continue to give them money because playing those titles on PC means still giving Sony money to buy them in the first place. Or you refuse to purchase Sony software from now on if it releases on PC? That would be the embodiment of triggered. Play and enjoy the games on whatever platform you have access to.

enjoy your sloppy seconds PC 😂

In cases like this, seconds taste way better.

Mmm that delicious frame rate

ptC7Qp5.jpg

Grizzley Bear

Neo Member
The more i think about it the more it makes sense especially with MS already doing it. They are at no risk of losing market share to them.

vkbest

If those rumors are true, I wonder what will do Sony, if Microsoft let install a full Windows 10 on XBOX X Series, and run Sony games on Steam, Epic, etc.

The more i think about it the more it makes sense especially with MS already doing it. They are at no risk of losing market share to them.

My first line is a huge risk to kill PS5 and their market.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Video games are a weird thing.

I don't think even rich snobs with high end cars, jewelry and Gucci gear care if they see other people have it. I have a pretty slick car. There's not many of them on the road, but every once in a while I see one. When I do, it's wow! Cool! I've never once thought..... awww shit. Now someone else has it.

Would you feel the same way if the car got adopted as a fleet car?

People love rarity and the allure of having something difficult to obtain, port of the human condition and part of what drives people to success.

I’m talking in a general sense, perfectly fine if you’re a red commie! Lol, I kid. Comrade!

People love rarity and the allure of having something difficult to obtain, port of the human condition and part of what drives people to success.
But these games are neither rare, nor are they difficult to obtain. Finding a used copy of Horizon for under $10 is trivial.

I think it's more like some people treat consoles like sports teams. They support their team by buying the hardware, and in return they feel like they are owed rewards (i.e. exclusive games) that are out of reach for non-supporters. When Sony releases one of their most well known exclusives on another platform (one owned by their competitor, no less), they see it as some sort of betrayal. These people bought a Microsoft product, yet they get to play Sony games on it, the same games you bought a $400 console for. It's like having your favorite sports team lend out their star player to a rival team.

Shmunter

But these games are neither rare, nor are they difficult to obtain. Finding a used copy of Horizon for under $10 is trivial.

I think it's more like some people treat consoles like sports teams. They support their team by buying the hardware, and in return they feel like they are owed rewards (i.e. exclusive games) that are out of reach for non-supporters. When Sony releases one of their most well known exclusives on another platform (one owned by their competitor, no less), they see it as some sort of betrayal. These people bought a Microsoft product, yet they get to play Sony games on it, the same games you bought a $400 console for. It's like having your favorite sports team lend out their star player to a rival team.
It’s even more carnal than that. It’s tribalism, our lizard brain is wired for it. A sense and need of belonging to a distinct group is forever imprinted in us. This all translates to sports, brands, community, nationalism. It’s in everything.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Would you feel the same way if the car got adopted as a fleet car?

I’m talking in a general sense, perfectly fine if you’re a red commie! Lol, I kid. Comrade!
The difference is someone with a rare car has a starting base of rarity. If it turns out the car sells like crazy and becomes as common as a civic it might be weird.

a video gamer has a starting base of millions of hardware and software copies floating around. There is no rarity to attach to.

Sony games sell 10 million+ copies. How can a gamer feel the game is rare and should be treated with protection from others?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It’s even more carnal than that. It’s tribalism, our lizard brain is wired for it. A sense and need of belonging to a distinct group is forever imprinted in us. This all translates to sports, brands, community, nationalism. It’s in everything.
Yup.

And people got to get over that. And console warring is one of the only things out there with this. As someone said above, sports teams are another. You don’t even get it this bad with cars and people are spending $20-100k on them. And even most people will flip flop between brands every 5 years. Every car I’ve had has need totally different.

If someone renovates your house or fixes your roof and does a great job, does someone care if he fixes another house on the block that can be just as good or better? I’ve never seems anyone care

Shmunter

The difference is someone with a rare car has a starting base of rarity. If it turns out the car sells like crazy and becomes as common as a civic it might be weird.

a video gamer has a starting base of millions of hardware and software copies floating around. There is no rarity to attach to.

Sony games sell 10 million+ copies. How can a gamer feel the game is rare and should be treated with protection from others?
There are all sorts of reasons. Having it in your club is special, but if those other bastards get a hold off it that’s trouble, it’s no longer special.

Don‘t mistake me feeling as petty. Just basic from psyche studies a lifetime ago. Proof is self evident over and over in gaming forums. Some can be quite annoying about it, it’s never going to change just have to roll with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There are all sorts of reasons. Having it in your club is special, but if those other bastards get a hold off it that’s trouble, it’s no longer special.

Don‘t mistake me feeling as petty. Just basic from psyche studies a lifetime ago. Proof is self evident over and over in gaming forums. Some can be quite annoying about it, it’s never going to change just have to roll with it.
Fair point. Just weird. When a console like PS4 sells 100 million consoles there is nothing to be protectionist about. Every block has a PS.

now if we’re talking something cool and rare like those lucky asses who got an authentic Neo Geo with stacks of originals in those plastic cases the size of a book for $300 per game, now we’re talking rare and valuable.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
They (Jim Ryan) does need to come out and clarify what their plan is with the first party games. Are we still getting proper exclusives?
Where does the line stop?

Would we be better off to buy PC? Just be straight with us Ryan...

GreatnessRD

They (Jim Ryan) does need to come out and clarify what their plan is with the first party games. Are we still getting proper exclusives?

They probably don't know yet far as where their exclusives stop. God of War being on the streaming service was the test run for PC I'd say. And I'm still in the camp that consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Too many people don't wanna bother with PC's because they're scared of BIOS, drivers and settings. Consoles are plug and play.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

They probably don't know yet far as where their exclusives stop. God of War being on the streaming service was the test run for PC I'd say. And I'm still in the camp that consoles aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Too many people don't wanna bother with PC's because they're scared of BIOS, drivers and settings. Consoles are plug and play.
Considering how dicey the situation is, Sony isn't going to tell gamers bad news (for console gamers). Same thing happened with MLB. Sony didn't announce multiplatform. MLB did. Sony never mentioned it from their own mouth once and never has. The MLB, Xbox and Nintendo Twitters did. But PS and MLBtheShow Twitters clammed up.

The same will go for Dreams and Horizon if it's true they go full on for PC. It'll be some website who gets confirmation, and then a Sony rep will quietly confirm yes. You won't see Playstation Twitter telling gamers go nuts for a PC version. Doing so will piss off console gamers and they know it.

GreatnessRD is correct.

Sony is in test mode. The first PC test is PS Now for their key hits like Bloodborne, God of War, UC etc.... Their second test (although a year out) is MLB. Sony surely could have told MLB forget it and disband the franchise. They chose to stick with it and make games for all.

The final step is any full PC games. If, when, and which games (aside from MLB).

If it turns out PC profits outweigh the potential loss of PS console gamers, you'll see more PC focus. If it turns out, PC gaming drains sales and profits, it'll come to a halt.

By the looks of it, it cant be too bad or else PS Now for PC would be axed and there would be no MLB multiplats coming.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

God of War isn't the test run that's just them selling PSNow Horizon Zero Dawn will be the test run.

GreatnessRD

God of War isn't the test run that's just them selling PSNow Horizon Zero Dawn will be the test run.
I don't see why it couldn't be both. I figured it was because they wouldn't just outright put a flagship game on PC. Zero Dawn is one of their games, but it isn't a flagship like GOW. So I figured it was Sony killing two birds. Seeing what the feedback would be for PSNow AND to see who's playing it on PC since everything is tracked nowadays. But you could be right that it was just to seel PSNow, but I think its a bigger picture here.

Ryu Kaiba

I don't see why it couldn't be both. I figured it was because they wouldn't just outright put a flagship game on PC. Zero Dawn is one of their games, but it isn't a flagship like GOW. So I figured it was Sony killing two birds. Seeing what the feedback would be for PSNow AND to see who's playing it on PC since everything is tracked nowadays. But you could be right that it was just to seel PSNow, but I think its a bigger picture here.
Horizon Zero Dawn sold 10 Mil on PS4 just like God of War it counts.

Shmunter

Sony won’t setup a PC psn store just for 1 game. Or are we suggesting they are releasing on a competitors store?

if Sony is genuine about Sony on PC, I expect them to copy the Epic model. Publishing 3rd party games as they do on PlayStation, and differentiate their store through Sony exclusives.

If the above is not the goal, then the move is about spreading the net to capture more players into their Playstation eco system. Offer Horizon 1 on PC, but #2 is only on PS5 to encourage purchase. Rinse and repeat.

Ryu Kaiba

Sony won’t setup a PC psn store just for 1 game. Or are we suggesting they are releasing on a competitors store?

if Sony is genuine about Sony on PC, I expect them to copy the Epic model. Publishing 3rd party games as they do on PlayStation, and differentiate their store through Sony exclusives.

If the above is not the goal, then the move is about spreading the net to capture more players into their Playstation eco system. Offer Horizon 1 on PC, but #2 is only on PS5 to encourage purchase. Rinse and repeat.
Agreed, if they don't launch their own store this is even more mind boggling to me.

Pejo

Did anything ever come from these rumors? I was looking forward to picking this up, but as far as I can tell, no announcements ever happened. Then all the other rumors of like TLoU2 and stuff just fizzled. Was this a Kotaku oopsie?

Entroyp

Man, this fell off my radar. Hopefully we get an announcement and release date soon. I need to see how this game looks on a monster PC.

yurinka

I can't believe you still believe this 'rumor'.

Guys, MLB will go multi because MLB asks for it and Sony may not want to lose the IP, and they allowed Kojima, QD and ThatGameCompany to port their games maybe to help them to run their studio after working with them as a thank you for their work.

Something like Nintendo did with Wonderful 101, which doesn't mean that they will release Mario and Zelda on PS4 and PC. These were some exceptions, they won't to the same with Sony IPs developed by Sony studios like Horizon, Dreams or TLOU2: these games will only be on PC through PS Now.

Did anything ever come from these rumors? I was looking forward to picking this up, but as far as I can tell, no announcements ever happened. Then all the other rumors of like TLoU2 and stuff just fizzled. Was this a Kotaku oopsie?
There is no TLOU2 on PC rumor. Naughty Dog, who also make (sometimes multiplatform) engines/tools/etc to be used by them and also other dev teams, were looking for a coder with experience on Nvidia. People who saw it thought it was for a TLOU2 PC, but it's very likely that the offer is for some visual tech stuff (that in may be used in TLOU and other games from other studios).

Last edited:
If the port is real, I would't expect them to announce it until after the PS5 reveal. Big if.

If you have to wait years for the ports to happen, it wpuld still make sense to buy a console for people who want to play it sooner.
I wouldnt want to wait 3 or more years to play a game Im interested in.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I can't believe you still believe this 'rumor'.

Guys, MLB will go multi because MLB asks for it and Sony may not want to lose the IP, and they allowed Kojima, QD and ThatGameCompany to port their games maybe to help them to run their studio after working with them as a thank you for their work.

Something like Nintendo did with Wonderful 101, which doesn't mean that they will release Mario and Zelda on PS4 and PC. These were some exceptions, they won't to the same with Sony IPs developed by Sony studios like Horizon, Dreams or TLOU2: these games will only be on PC through PS Now.

There is no TLOU2 on PC rumor. Naughty Dog, who also make (sometimes multiplatform) engines/tools/etc to be used by them and also other dev teams, were looking for a coder with experience on Nvidia. People who saw it thought it was for a TLOU2 PC, but it's very likely that the offer is for some visual tech stuff (that in may be used in TLOU and other games from other studios).

Sony wasn't going to lose the IP. Sony had a 1st party IP, and there was a 3rd party one sitting there with nobody else vying for it after 2K failed with it, nor wanted to go up against the baseball juggernaut Sony built up well over a decade. Even MLB themselves tried their own in house with RBI Baseball, and it was failing miserably.

They saw a business opportunity to get the entire third party IP upon renewal of their licensing contract, (like EA with Madden/FIFA), and they seized that revenue growth potential for their DD (like MUT/FUT enjoys). DD has been growing very rapidly since its inception, so it was smart business sense in that regards.

On a side note:
MS had just as much opportunity to get a 1st party IP for the High Heat license they purchased back in the OG Xbox days, and did nothing with it other than kill it off. Some rumors floated around that it was to sweetheart EA into joining Live (something they were adamant about back then) by knocking out some competition for MVP Baseball, since they came to Live not too long after that with other perks MS caved on.

Last edited:

yurinka

Sony wasn't going to lose the IP. Sony had a 1st party IP, and there was a 3rd party one sitting there with nobody else vying for it after 2K failed with it, nor wanted to go up against the baseball juggernaut Sony built up well over a decade. Even MLB themselves tried their own in house with RBI Baseball, and it was failing miserably.

They saw a business opportunity to get the entire third party IP upon renewal of their licensing contract, (like EA with Madden/FIFA), and they seized that revenue growth potential for their DD (like MUT/FUT enjoys). DD has been growing very rapidly since its inception, so it was smart business sense in that regards.

On a side note:
MS had just as much opportunity to get a 1st party IP for the High Heat license they purchased back in the OG Xbox days, and did nothing with it other than kill it off. Some rumors floated around that it was to sweetheart EA into joining Live (something they were adamant about back then) by knocking out some competition for MVP Baseball, since they came to Live not too long after that with other perks MS caved on.
MLB is not 1st party IP, it's a licensed IP. MLB liceses it to Sony. They announced that the last MLB game became the best selling baseball game ever (at least in the USA), so obviously Sony will want to continue using this IP for future editions.

But MLB recently said that they want to have their game on all platforms. This normally would mean to go with a 3rd party publisher because Sony doesn't publish games on other consoles. So it's quite obvious that if Sony will make it multiplatform it's because MLB asked them to do it. If Sony wouldn't have accepted to make it multiplatform I think it's very likely that MLB would have licensed future editions of the game to EA, 2K or someone else instead of Sony.

Sony isn't the one who decided to go multi, because if this would have been the case they would have started with Uncharted, God of War, Spiderman, Gran Turismo, etc. Games that have way bigger sales. But they didn't, because they keep their own IPs developed by their own teams as full exclusives for their consoles in order to create a unique selling point for their hardware (PS4 and accesories like PSVR or DS4) and services (PS+, PS Now, etc).

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MLB is not 1st party IP, it's a licensed IP. MLB liceses it to Sony. They announced that the last MLB game became the best selling baseball game ever (at least in the USA), so obviously Sony will want to continue using this IP for future editions.

But MLB recently said that they want to have their game on all platforms. This normally would mean to go with a 3rd party publisher because Sony doesn't publish games on other consoles. So it's quite obvious that if Sony will make it multiplatform it's because MLB asked them to do it. If Sony wouldn't have accepted to make it multiplatform I think it's very likely that MLB would have licensed future editions of the game to EA, 2K or someone else instead of Sony.

Yes, MLB asked Sony, but Sony was not going to lose the license that was making money for them and the MLB hand over fist if they chose not to.

There was nothing to replace that void. I have knowledge from my time there (SSDS) and how the licensing worked with the MLB. They had a first party license, the third party has ALWAYS been up for grabs and nobody wanted it since 2K gave it up after failing at it. MLB themselves are also failing at their own game, and I don't expect it to last after this year's version unless they keep it going with just skeleton crew roster update label slaps. I can positively bet better than I could at a casino, that a sweetheart deal was made and that Sony had the "upper hand" in its mutual entirety.

Last edited:
Top Bottom