• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC

And they make their money almost entirely from sales of games for their platform, which they make first party exclusives for as a way of getting people to choose to buy their platform instead of another one.

Giving people any reason to not have to buy their platform is potential money lost, and I don't see any scenario where the sales of this game is worth that undermining of their core business model.

I just cannot understand why the sudden change to choosing a small short term profit over their incredibly successful previous strategy of securing their long term bottom line, when it's been working more successfully than ever this gen.

Maybe they are just really fucking stupid, maybe it is pure self destructive greed, it's just such an obviously bad idea on there end that I find myself somewhat incredulous of the very notion of it.

Tbh you don't need to understand it. I doubt anyone here understand the behind the scenes business decision these companies have. But it's their business, I'm sure they have it figured out, if not it's their problem, despite how anybody feels about it.

diffusionx

Gold Member
So you expect everyone to stick to the platform when said game will be released on a much powerful platform and a high chace of the game being cheaper to boot? 👀 Granted not everyone is going to jump ship but how many is enough to make Sony stop investing in R&D into the next iteration of Playstation. Just like the one Gafer pointed out, this has a rippling effect not just an isolated one.

I'll be honest my man, I think one platform is better for everyone. Especially when these platforms are all basically identical from a technical point of view.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
"Why should I buy a PS4 when its exclusives are on the PC?"

Because most people don't want to wait for months or years to play the latest games.

There are two obvious advantages for this:

1. First of all it ideally will add a bit of sales life to titles that have basically run their course on their original exclusive platform.

2. It creates attention, freshens and draws fans to the franchise, so...

3. That when the next iteration comes out and is exclusive to PS5, they'll either have to make peace with waiting for years for a maybe port, or buy a PS5.

Its kinda obvious why this is basically risk-free compared to MS launching day-and-date on all titles.

Neofire

Because most people don't want to wait for months or years to play the latest games.

1. First of all it ideally will add a bit of sales life to titles that have basically run their course on their original exclusive platform.

3. That when the next iteration comes out and is exclusive to PS5, they'll either have to make peace with waiting for years for a maybe port, or buy a PS5.

Its kinda obvious why this is basically risk-free compared to MS launching day-and-date on all titles.
Who said it will always take years or months on each port to come to pc? People said the same thing about halo that came out two years later once the original Xbox got announced and now it releasing side by side. Again this decision Sony has made has a rippling effect.

Ryu Kaiba

I like this move this makes sense and is a great thing for the future

HOWEVER..

I think people are jumping the shark a bit to assume this means everything will come to PC.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Who said it will always take years or months on each port to come to pc? People said the same thing about halo that came out two years later once the original Xbox got announced and now it releasing side by side. Again this decision Sony has made has a rippling effect.

Until that happens that should be the expectation, right? I mean Sony care enough about exclusivity to get 1 year on FF7r, over 6 months on Death Stranding, and a whole lot longer for the Quantic Dream games.

MiguelItUp

I'm surprised there aren't more people congratulating Guerilla. I mean, they have a beautiful engine on their hands. I never played Horizons, but I played a great amount of Death Stranding. I think it's awesome that they're not only getting more recognition, but that they're sharing the experiences they created and helped create with a larger audience. Good for them, they deserve it.

SleepDoctor

Banned
This is just Horizon. I can't even begin to imagine the meltdowns if it was GoW or day tlou lol.

Some of the warriors will need serious consoling.

Dargor

Just hope they dont try to bring some subscription wall to play them on PC, and if they do, that people aren't dumb enough to pay them.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just hope they dont try to bring some subscription wall to play them on PC, and if they do, that people aren't dumb enough to pay them.
They already do.

PS Now can be played on PC for the past 3 years, and Bloodborne, UC4 and UC Lost Legacy, Horizon and God War are there to play.

theclaw135

Banned
I said it before and said it again in light of this news, Death Stranding, Xbox Series X, etc. Anyone who is thinking about dropping $500 plus tip on a new videogame console is not doing their due diligence if they don't consider going PC this gen. You will spend a bit more , but get more flexibility, the games run better, you get free "remasters", you don't need to worry about the mid-gen refresh when it is inevitably announced, and you can even keep your comfy couch.

Free "remasters"? When modders get around to porting assets the companies can't be bothered to.

Remasters that have not been officially released on PC include Batman Return to Arkham, Disgaea 1 Complete, The Last Remnant Remastered, Valkyria Chronicles Remastered...

Last edited:

Valonquar

Oh no. That game that came out 2 years ago might come out on PC in a year, probably around the time the sequel hits console?

Dane

That doesn't necessarily means they'll do with every title, in fact, when Microsoft slowly began to port their titles to PC, there was a few months gap, it started with Fable Anniversary to Gears Ultimate, then starting with Gears 4 I think they released simultaneously.

Tbh you don't need to understand it. I doubt anyone here understand the behind the scenes business decision these companies have. But it's their business, I'm sure they have it figured out, if not it's their problem, despite how anybody feels about it.

What expect from people who suddenly thinks that exclusives was the sole reason why the Xbox was behind this generation?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is this game sweet? I was playing BotW for awhile so this was out of sight, out of mind for me. Now it's a few years old. Has it held up?

Congrats to PC gamers who will probably mod this and turn it into an even more amazing adventure.

Grinchy

Banned
Is this game sweet? I was playing BotW for awhile so this was out of sight, out of mind for me. Now it's a few years old. Has it held up?

Congrats to PC gamers who will probably mod this and turn it into an even more amazing adventure.
I found it very boring. The story is just not interesting and the interactions with NPCs feels a bit stiff. It's like an early open-world game where everyone you come across needs you to go find their family member and you follow a GPS route there and back.

I enjoyed the gameplay for what it was and could see myself going back as I've heard the story fleshes out past the point I was at (~8 hours maybe), but it's not one that I was sucked in by.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
How flexible are the world systems, Grinchy Grinchy ? I can -- and often do -- tolerate a poor plot or a poor story structure if the core gameplay, physics, and emergent strategies are still fun to mess around in. The combat looked cool and cinematic.

Grinchy

Banned
How flexible are the world systems, Grinchy Grinchy ? I can -- and often do -- tolerate a poor plot or a poor story structure if the core gameplay, physics, and emergent strategies are still fun to mess around in. The combat looked cool and cinematic.
From the point I had gotten to, there seemed to be potential for an enjoyable gameplay loop. You take on mechanical creatures to use their parts to craft new things to beat new creatures. You can even hack some to ride them!

And of course there are some parts you only hit with precision targeting during the fight, you set traps to make things convenient, ect. It was pretty cool! I just wish the narrative was stronger.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
From the point I had gotten to, there seemed to be potential for an enjoyable gameplay loop. You take on mechanical creatures to use their parts to craft new things to beat new creatures. You can even hack some to ride them!

And of course there are some parts you only hit with precision targeting during the fight, you set traps to make things convenient, ect. It was pretty cool! I just wish the narrative was stronger.
Hmm that's a fair complaint, I'll have to lower my expectations in that regard and decide accordingly.

I don't understand why a game going PC make a console less relevant. I like the ease of use and the ecosystem of console better. Only thing PC has over console are mods. I can play at lower frame rates and resolutions with no problem.

//DEVIL//

I’m sorry I did not read the whole thread but I seen some reports on kotaku etc about the game coming to PC.

If that’s the case, then I am selling my ps4 and just focus on PC next gen only . As it’s most of the games I want are coming to Pc sooner or later including final fantasy 7 remake .

If Sony follows MS and release their games on pc then I’ll do what I did with MS. Stop buying their hardware and buy their games on PC .

So less money to spend for me. With better graphics at one point since it’s on pc . Thanks Sony and MS lol

Are PS exclusives getting free from low framerate (high input lag) limbo? Sign me up. I'd even install a Sony Store launcher for it.

That's the funny part. It's rumored to be launching on Steam & Epic game store. They're not even expanding their ecosystem to PC. Not complaining though. Fuck more launchers.

Both MS & Sony must realize that there is very little cross over between PC & console gamers and each group are set in their ways so to speak. But Sony also said PlayStation 5 is a niche product for hardcore players. What is more appealing to hard core gamers than having a platform with major 3rd party support, all of xbox game studio games while only needing to wait 3 years for Sony titles (at your desired framerate to boot?)

This whole PC endeavor for Sony won't have any impact on prospective PS5 gamers in year 3, 4, 5 and beyond....but launch goers & buyers in year 1 & year 2? Sony will be pushing some of their biggest customers over to Valve......the question is how much will defect

That's the funny part. It's rumored to be launching on Steam & Epic game store. They're not even expanding their ecosystem to PC. Not complaining though. Fuck more launchers.

Both MS & Sony must realize that there is very little cross over between PC & console gamers and each group are set in their ways so to speak. But Sony also said PlayStation 5 is a niche product for hardcore players. What is more appealing to hard core gamers than having a platform with major 3rd party support, all of xbox game studio games while only needing to wait 3 years for Sony titles (at your desired framerate to boot?)

This whole PC endeavor for Sony won't have any impact on prospective PS5 gamers in year 3, 4, 5 and beyond....but launch goers & buyers in year 1 & year 2? Sony will be pushing some of their biggest customers over to Valve......the question is how much will defect

They tested the waters with Epic, they must've liked the upfront check they received for the exclusivity, and it must've not hurt any sales in the process, instead they most likely gained a profit and wanted more of the pie. Steam is more surprising if true, but they must've realized that's where the real money is at.

Siri

Banned
Why are people saying 60 FPS on the PC?

LOL.

Is 60 FPS the holly grail for consoles? On the PC I’m happy with 100 FPS.

VertigoOA

Banned
Now whether to just go with the superior 11tflop Series X or build a pc.

9 tlfops lol

What’s next? Proper mouse and keyboard support for consoles? (That would be nice).

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So why are people acting this news is valid?

Is Kotaku trustworthy?

If so( the decision to bring ps games to pc) i dont need to buy ps5 anymore

Top Bottom