• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Sources: Horizon Zero Dawn coming to PC

StormCell

This will be the end of Playstation if it happens on all former exclusives

As others have said, if this is made a habit, I could see it as good for shortterm business if they want to ad a few extra bucks from PC version but bad for longterm business.

This is a really double edge sword strategy. Either convert pc gamers to fall in love with HZD and make them buy PS5 and HZD2 if they can't wait, OR convert ps gamers just skip ps5 altogether and wait for pc release

Someone in the higher up there need a reminder that Xbox One suffers heavy loses from PS4 even with superior hardware has something to do with Microsoft decision releasing their game on PC

Hence it greatly reduces the need to buy Xbox One

Who said anything about all exclusives going to PC?

Besides, all of Nintendo's exclusives are already on PC (LOL!) and look at how their business is doing! :LOL:

GHG

Gold Member
I just hope sony doesn't pull out a microsoft bullshit move like announcing all esclusives on pc after the launch of ps5.

I have a barely used xbox one for the same fucking reason...

Just announce all esclusive on pc before launch so i don't have to buy your console.

Remembers that "for the players" stuff? Now it's time to see if they are real or not with that shit.

Exactly the same situation here bro.

If they are not clear on their strategy then I think I'll just wait it out a year or so.

But fuck, if demons souls or Bloodborne 2 happens then I will be weak.

GymWolf

It's not so much my asshole I'm worried about, that'll take care of itself. It's more how negative this news can be seen by PS fans when obviously that is not the intention.

However, what if Sony announce PS4 games may go to PC, but PS5's will remain exclusive? Unlikely, but that would stop interest trailing off on PS5.
Do you have an auto-healing asshole? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Who said anything about all exclusives going to PC?

Besides, all of Nintendo's exclusives are already on PC (LOL!) and look at how their business is doing! :LOL:

First Quantic Dream game...

And then MLB the Show..

Followed by Death Stranding....

Now Guerella Game Studios like Horizon Zero Dawn...

Eventually...people will began to see some slowly growing pattern...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Exactly the same situation here bro.

If they are not clear on their strategy then I think I'll just wait it out a year or so.

But fuck, if demons souls or Bloodborne 2 happens then I will be weak.
same here, i'm a very hyped man, i can't resist not playing at launch stuff like horizon 2 or gow 2...

This seems like a plausible scenario, it might be a marketing strategy for PS5.
Release old PS4 games on PC, make sequels of those games only on PS5 and generate hype so that the PC games who loved those games will have to buy a PS5.
LOL...um no. Releasing games like HZD on pc would have the opposite effect. It would lead to many expecting the inevitable sequels to also land on PC. And all future MLB the Show games are releasing on other platforms.

As some have stated, MS/Sony see a more profitable future through subscriptions,physical-less, where investing in billions on new hardware R&D, and killing used games in favor of having a steady flow of cash via services reaching as many devices as possible. Hardware does not make them much money and in many cases,caused significant losses.In makes sense for them.

I don't like it and may give up gaming when the time comes where i can't own my games anymore and steaming and services is the only option. For many fanboy,they're more interested in rooting for their favorite team to win vs the other team over just playing games.

This seems like a plausible scenario, it might be a marketing strategy for PS5.
Release old PS4 games on PC, make sequels of those games only on PS5 and generate hype so that the PC games who loved those games will have to buy a PS5.
It's a double-edged sword as it's possible that the PC gamers are patient enough to wait a few years for the game to come out and Playstation gamers may move to PC. It's undeniable that it does hurt the unique value proposition.

However, putting Horizon and other 1st party games on PC could also be a powerplay move to incentivize PC gamers to stay on the platform, i.e. "an enemy of my enemy is my friend" strategy. Why get an XB1 or XSX if you can play both Xbox and PS "exclusives" on one platform?

Fenris Wolf

I'm personally fine with people being able to play the games i like on other platforms. (Bought Death stranding and dreams on Day one because i love both and i enjoyed the hell out of both)
The only thing i fucking hate is sony being silent and not transparent enough about their strategies.
Fuck if i care about "Platform Exclusives". I would buy the game or purchase the Console if like something.
BTW this is not the only problem they have. as a person who followed this company's news on a routine since 2007, This last couple of years were the shittiest in terms of communications and giving fans info.
They announce their news via "journalists" and "articles", They don't attend big conventions anymore, they don't share "WHEN" we should expect their console reveal and the list just goes on. (don't compare 2012-13 to this shit please)
I own PS4 and switched mine to pro the second it was available.
I love sony and PS4's lineup and I will buy PS5 as well because building a monster PC costs since i don't want to waste 600-700$ on a budget build. i fully understand their intentions with releasing this game on PC (testing the market etc. etc.) and i'm totally fine with it. The only thing i as a fan want is Transparency and Communications directly from sony.

Last edited:

redfirm

Banned
I'm personally fine with people being able to play the games i like on other platforms. (Bought Death stranding and dreams on Day one because i love both and i enjoyed the hell out of both)
The only thing i fucking hate is sony being silent and not transparent enough about their strategies.
Fuck if i care about "Platform Exclusives". I would buy the game or purchase the Console if like something.
BTW this is not the only problem they have. as a person who followed this company's news on a routine since 2007, This last couple of years were the shittiest in terms of communications and giving fans info.
They announce their news via "journalists" and "articles", They don't attend big conventions anymore, they don't share "WHEN" we should expect their console reveal and the list goes on.
I own PS4 and switched mine to pro the second it was available.
I love sony and PS4's lineup and I will buy PS5 as well because building a monster PC costs since i don't want to waste 600-700$ on a budget build. i fully understand their intentions with releasing this game on PC (testing the market etc. etc.) and i'm totally fine with it. The only thing i as a fan want is Transparency and Communications directly from sony.

They are not being silent. there are rumors and Sony has not announced or talked about this at all. How is it so hard to understand that Sony has officially only announced some specs of the ps5 and a logo? we know from past sony releases that they have always been really clear. The fact that sony has nothing to say right now means that you are allowing yourself to get eaten up by all the hype and rumors, while what you should be doing is just enjoy your current games and wait for some official news from them whenever the product is ready.

GymWolf

That is good news, the game is really fun. I got it over Christmas. Just about done the dlc

Is there a thread where we can talk theories?
No but you can create one, i have my theories too (except after 3 years i don't remember every detail or name)

The plot was one of the highlight of the game.

And i don't know if is a coincidence, but a lot of people who disliked the plot turn out that they don't really understand the plot or all the details of what happened.
Both on the spoiler topic on reeeee and in my italian forum.

Last edited:
LOL...um no. Releasing games like HZD on pc would have the opposite effect. It would lead to many expecting the inevitable sequels to also land on PC. And all future MLB the Show games are releasing on other platforms.

As some have stated, MS/Sony see a more profitable future through subscriptions,physical-less, where investing in billions on new hardware R&D, and killing used games in favor of having a steady flow of cash via services reaching as many devices as possible. Hardware does not make them much money and in many cases,caused significant losses.In makes sense for them.

I don't like it and may give up gaming when the time comes where i can't own my games anymore and steaming and services is the only option. For many fanboy,they're more interested in rooting for their favorite team to win vs the other team over just playing games.

We'll see. If they don't make their own store on PC I don't see how they can tap in to the whole subscription thing.
Rumor is that Horizon is coming to both Steam and Epic. Unless they are planning on adding some kind of service that's required on top of Steam/Epic :pie_thinking:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Superior resolution, framerate and in general more power to have bigger and/or more complex worlds/games.
OK superior resolution and framerate, not strictly next gen related but is a given
But more complex worlds/games.?
So you're saying that developers are already using their next generation engines on PC?
Any examples

manfestival

Here just waiting for the official announcement of it. Feels like this rumor has been floating around for forever. Let's just get it over with Sony.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Here just waiting for the official announcement of it. Feels like this rumor has been floating around for forever. Let's just get it over with Sony.
If you are looking for an official announcement it won’t come from Sony.

when there’s bad news, they keep their mouths shut and have websites tell the news. Then the site will say Sony confirms it.

Just like MLB going multiplat, and no E3 2020.

You won’t see Sony doing a tweet about Horizon or Dreams going to PC.

It’ll be something like..... Wired.com announces Horizon is coming to PC.... Wired.com has been told Horizon is going to PC. When we asked if this is true, a Sony representative confirms it will come to PC later this year. They had no further comment.

Trogdor1123

No but you can create one, i have my theories too (except after 3 years i don't remember every detail or name)

The plot was one of the highlight of the game.

And i don't know if is a coincidence, but a lot of people who disliked the plot turn out that they don't really understand the plot or all the details of what happened.
Both on the spoiler topic on reeeee and in my italian forum.
Might have to deal that. I had a theory specifically on the signal (both of them) and maybe one on sylens too.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Is this a joke? A parody of some kind? What is this?
I don't know, it some Era user (also on Twitter link in description) who have some terrible hard life.... And no, it's completely serious. I fully expect that he will carry some mass shooting, after Sony release more games on PC. I never though that shit exists at this extent....

StormCell

First Quantic Dream game...

And then MLB the Show..

Followed by Death Stranding....

Now Guerella Game Studios like Horizon Zero Dawn...

Eventually...people will began to see some slowly growing pattern...

That may come to pass. I don't know why you or I should really be bothered by this. Do you prefer to play these games with the Playstation controller? Would you be happier with an Xbox controller? As long as the games are still the same high quality, I would think that having more options for how to play is better for us! Where am I wrong?

But I can kinda get where you're coming from. It would be a little different if Nintendo suddenly began publishing their games on PC/mobile. If that were the case, we would probably suspect and conclude that we've seen the last of Nintendo hardware, and one has to question whether Nintendo would continue to press as hard as they do to make the best games they can since they no longer have to worry about hardware adoption rates (ie. see Sega for example of games going downhill after leaving hardware market).

I am very disappointed. Sony will never stop lying. They building marketing, pushing shit into all ears, "Only On Playstation," my ass. Sony do not even have the courage to confirm or refute such leaks. So piggy. They are just silent. What the heck? Fuck you, Sony, fuck your PS5, I don’t want it anymore. I will make an upgrade for the PC and stay only on it. My loyalty is simply not enough to justify their moronic actions,
which they can neither comment nor explain.
I was really looking forward to this generation, but for several weeks I have only heard bad news. Great, Sony, great job. I am annoyed by their non-participation, their silence. Jim Ryan will bury the Playstation brand, nothing good can be expected from him. Talking about respect for your community and really respecting, - are two radically different things. Drive it into your stupid heads, marketers damn you.

SleepDoctor

Banned
I am very disappointed. Sony will never stop lying. They building marketing, pushing shit into all ears, "Only On Playstation," my ass. Sony do not even have the courage to confirm or refute such leaks. So piggy. They are just silent. What the heck? Fuck you, Sony, fuck your PS5, I don’t want it anymore. I will make an upgrade for the PC and stay only on it. My loyalty is simply not enough to justify their moronic actions,
which they can neither comment nor explain.
I was really looking forward to this generation, but for several weeks I have only heard bad news. Great, Sony, great job. I am annoyed by their non-participation, their silence. Jim Ryan will bury the Playstation brand, nothing good can be expected from him. Talking about respect for your community and really respecting, - are two radically different things. Drive it into your stupid heads, marketers damn you.

"My loyalty is simply not enough"

😂😂😂😂😂

This had me fucking rolling lmao.

And you were going hard at vfx defending your "precious" sony. You definitely owe him an apology.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This will be the end of Playstation if it happens on all former exclusives

As others have said, if this is made a habit, I could see it as good for shortterm business if they want to ad a few extra bucks from PC version but bad for longterm business.

This is a really double edge sword strategy. Either convert pc gamers to fall in love with HZD and make them buy PS5 and HZD2 if they can't wait, OR convert ps gamers just skip ps5 altogether and wait for pc release

Someone in the higher up there need a reminder that Xbox One suffers heavy loses from PS4 even with superior hardware has something to do with Microsoft decision releasing their game on PC

Hence it greatly reduces the need to buy Xbox One

I honestly don't understand it anymore. Are people seriously this short sighted? Picture selling a product, any product, in one store. A single store and the only way to get that product Is to go to that store. It will drive some people into your store yes, but imagine being able to sell that product to 10,000 stores. Which do you think is going to get more profit?

Why is selling a game on PC to more people going to somehow kill the brand. If anything it will make it stronger.

Elysion

Banned
I wonder what the strategy here is. Is this supposed to be an experiment to gauge interest for Sony‘s games on other platforms? Or is this the beginning of the end for Sony as a platform exclusive games publisher? The fact that Dreams, a new game that hasn‘t been released yet, is already rumored to go to PC as well seems to point to the latter. I just don‘t quite understand why.

Sony‘s gaming division is more profitable than at any other point of its history, and the PS4 will likely end up being the scond most successful console of all time. The circumstances seem to be aligned to almost guarantee another era of Sony domination in the console space in the coming generation... and it is at this moment that Sony decides to publish its games on PC? After pretty much all third party games are already multiplatform? Why would Sony relinquish such a big incentive for people to buy their platform? Why not continue their successful PS4 strategy into the next generation?

I know that Sony could make a bit more money by selling its games on PC in addition to their consoles, but we shouldn’t forget that whatever money they make from their own games is peanuts compared to the revenue they get from PS+ subscriptions and the 30% cut they get from all those third party games. And to ensure a high number of PS+ subscriptions and high sales of third party software, they need to sell a lot of hardware. I mean, isn’t that the point of exclusive games, to entice people to buy the hardware? Isn‘t that also why console makers are sometimes willing to sell their hardware at a loss at the start of a generation? And isn‘t that the reason why Nintendo, despite all those predictions we’ve heard over the years of them going third party, is still very keen on selling their own hardware, so they have control over their own platform and ecosystem from which they get most of their revenue? They‘ve made it very clear that stuff like Pokémon Go is supposed to entice people to buy Nintendo hardware, where they can get the ‚full‘ Nintendo experience. So what then made Sony decide to suddenly publish their games on PC?

Microsoft has always published games on PC, where they have their own store and OS. They are fine with people playing their games on PC, as long as it‘s on Windows. Sony however doesn‘t have its own OS, nor do they have their own PC store. Are they going to sell their games on Steam? Will they try to bring PSN to PC? PC gaming these days is easier and more accessible than ever, so there‘s a real danger that a not insignificant portion of people who might buy a PS5 might just migrate (or stay on) PC as their gaming platform if they can get all third party and first party software there. And I‘ll say it again, it doesn‘t matter how well Sony‘s games might do on PC, whatever money they could make there pales in comparison to the amount they make from licensing fees and PS+ subscriptions, both of which they wouldn‘t get on PC.

Of course, it‘s possible that this is just a one-time thing, since Horizon‘s Decima engine already runs on PC thanks to Death Stranding. Releasing Dreams on PC might make sense to ensure that people are able to use mouse and keyboard to better create stuff (though why not release M+Kb for PS4?). But if this is a sign of things to come, then I wonder what convinced them to do this. I wonder if this is the reason for the recent shake-ups at SIE? Maybe people like Layden disagreed with the strategy?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I honestly don't understand it anymore. Are people seriously this short sighted? Picture selling a product, any product, in one store. A single store and the only way to get that product Is to go to that store. It will drive some people into your store yes, but imagine being able to sell that product to 10,000 stores. Which do you think is going to get more profit?

Why is selling a game on PC to more people going to somehow kill the brand. If anything it will make it stronger.
It won’t kill the brand.

just like even Apple sells there stuff in Walmart, Costco, Best Buy and small electronics shops. If they really wanted to be hoarders of profit, they’d cut them all off and have all customers go through Apple.com and Apple stores. But they know maximizing sales and profits comes from a wide distribution network.

the only people who are sore don’t even think it will kill the PS brand. It’s more about being somehow depressed other gamers can now play the same game as them on another platform.

I could see someone being egotistical about owning a bright red Ferrari and driving it all over town. It gets noticed and maybe some hot chicks will jump in. But to feel bad about sharing PS video games that come from a plastic black box from under your TV with other gamers doesn’t seem like the type of product worth crying about. At least not to me.

Last edited:

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
People are overreacting to this rumor honestly. More importantly this rumor has yet to be confirmed, but is seen as tantamount to Sony announcing it themselves. Also, please remember that Horizon is nearly a 3 year old game and has exhausted its legs on PS4. It potentially arriving on PC is being conflated with all PS exclusives arriving on PC, which depending on your perspective is less of an incentive to buy PS5. Personally, I think there's nothing inherently wrong, or bad with exclusives arriving on the PC, and is a way for developers to further generate revenue for their properties and expand their player base and ecosystem. However, I understand the perception that if first party games are arriving on another platform, that will potentially outperform your next-gen console, what reason do you have to get that console- and it is that sentiment that leads me to think we won't see exclusives launch concurrently on PS5 and PC, if they arrive on PC at all. PS5 will get them first, of course, and some may arrive at a later date. However, I think it'll be a somewhat arbitrary system, with no clear pattern in terms of how long games will take to arrive, so Sony doesn't encourage players to opt to wait for the games to arrive to PC and not buy the PS5.

The closest analogy I can think of are the latest Google licensed phones receiving Android OS updates first, and then they gradually disseminate amongst other flagship devices that they'll support. So "loyal" customers get to experience the games first, and others that aren't gaming on PS5 will possibly get them in the future. When you look at the success of MH:W on PC and the support that title has received from people on that platform, it makes sense that console manufacturers would eventually adopt a similar stance, so long as their games aren't releasing for their direct competitors, it doesn't harm their primary business. Also with Death Stranding using the Decima Engine and arriving on PC, it became incredibly easy to port and profit, with minimal work, Horizon over as well.

quest

Not Banned from OT

You got it wrong Sony gets a cut of everything sold in that store they needs thise special products to get customers in the door. Sure they can ship those couples of products out and they can be high jacked ie pirated you pay others to put on their shelf ie kiss gabes ring for 30%. Then people have less reason to visit your store and spend money at gabe's cheaper store who has almost zero over head so you make less money in the end. The you talk to those idiots at MS and ask why did we get greedy like you and in the end make valve rich and us poor. One foolhardy company tried and failed I guarantee if Sony goes down this path it will be the same less console owners and less money in the end. The PC market is the wrong type of market to gamble on ultra cheap and ultra loyal to 1 company.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
You got it wrong Sony gets a cut of everything sold in that store they needs thise special products to get customers in the door. Sure they can ship those couples of products out and they can be high jacked ie pirated you pay others to put on their shelf ie kiss gabes ring for 30%. Then people have less reason to visit your store and spend money at gabe's cheaper store who has almost zero over head so you make less money in the end. The you talk to those idiots at MS and ask why did we get greedy like you and in the end make valve rich and us poor. One foolhardy company tried and failed I guarantee if Sony goes down this path it will be the same less console owners and less money in the end. The PC market is the wrong type of market to gamble on ultra cheap and ultra loyal to 1 company.

How has Microsoft failed? Halo Master Chief Collection has been a huge success on PC. Gears 5 apparently did quite well as well.

And the 30 percent cut is only Steam. They could very easily make it an EGS only item and only take a 12 percent cut.

They have been testing this out with stuff like Street Fighter V and clearly see something good here enough that they have let games like Detroit Become Human go to PC as well. They are pushing forward for a reason, and that reason is money.

thelastword

Banned
So hold on, I have just been skimming some of these threads...….Are you telling me that none of this has been confirmed? I'm not saying it won't happen, but people are pretending this is confirmed just as they were doing with 12TF vs 9TF...….I mean when it's confirmed fine, but till then, stop pretending it's a fact.....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Sony: We skipped E3 2019 and now 2020 because gamers don't seem to care about E3 anymore.

E3: How about show more than 4 games, don't have 15 minute intermissions between games, and don't have a white guy pretending to be a japanese guy playing a flute wearing a farmer hat?

sendit

Nice! Microsoft is already doing this with Xbox Exclusives. Once Sony starts releasing their exclusives day 1 on PC, the reason to own any console will be non existent.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
"Horizon MC is ugly, sjw friendly etc"

Waiting finally for the mods with revealing clothes and improved models!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
More like Twitter’s AP99. He got banned from era the same day he joined because he’s a console warrior loser.
Oh , I though he was there for longer, but at that day I was getting my approval here. I just thought that he is ResetEra member for longer time, because he even call ResetEra directly in that video. Not the mention other things: "Collusion", boner for Sony, "Capitalism bad", etc. That's something which is MO of the mill ResetEra member.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Cant wait to play some MLB, Horizon and Dreams. Ok, let's boot them up..............

giphy.gif

Top Bottom