• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The BioWare KotOR game rumor isn't exactly true, explains situation

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kotaku said:
Problem is, this is old info. What I’ve heard separately, from people familiar with goings-on at the studio, is that BioWare Austin did indeed play around with a Knights of the Old Republic prototype, but that it hasn’t been greenlit and is not currently in development. I’ve also heard that the majority of BioWare Austin is working on the company’s new IP, which is headed up by BioWare’s Edmonton studio and should be officially announced at E3. That new IP is a Destiny-ish game code-named Dylan, as Liam Robertson correctly reported in a separate Patreon post.
Source: http://kotaku.com/that-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-rumor-isnt-1794215197

Liam Robertson's response:

Kotaku said:
I reached out to Robertson this morning to clear things up and he sent over the following e-mail:

Going to hold my hands up here - I think I just misheard some of the Austin stuff when I was talking on Skype, so I may have misspoke there. There’s also the element that I had no notes in front of me and just sort of rambled on from memory. I did not expect these few select statements to blow up (oops). I’m used to having the opportunity to just release follow-up notices on the Patreon with any updates and corrections. My bad there.

Let me clarify that I don’t think KOTOR’s a current project. From the same people I learned about Dylan from, I did hear that they prototyped a KOTOR revival at Austin a while back. I believe it may have evolved into something else since then or fizzled out since then. I’m still confident Austin is doing something Star Wars related though and I’m confident in that. I actually did know that they were contributing towards Dylan since I originally found out about it when I was researching Austin’s Shadow Realms, so if I said exclusively, then that was admittedly a mistake.

ViciousDS

Banned
This press sneak fuck?...........I love me some press sneak fuck :)

edit: ah......so this is still related to the Bioware Destiny IP and Austin prototyping a KOTOR revival..........damn....I want KOTOR so damn bad.

Ralemont

not me
Never made much sense to me. How could they (BW) have been developing Andromeda, Dylan, SWTOR, pre-production on Dragon Age 4, AND a new KOTOR?? They are already stretched too thin.

joecanada

Never made much sense to me. How could they (BW) have been developing Andromeda, Dylan, SWTOR, pre-production on Dragon Age 4, AND a new KOTOR?? They are already stretched too thin.

I think they probably only had one guy QA on Andromeda, it freed up some resources.

(kidding!)

Doesnt Bioware focus on one project at a time now? All the studios assist the lead studio was my understanding. Even Mike Laidlaw, creative director of Dragon Age, said that Dragon Age 4 isnt a thing yet.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I really don't understand why we haven't gotten a new one yet.

It's something the public have been salivating for, demanding a new installment for over a decade. A new KOTOR would sell like hotcakes, or at least would be guaranteed to sell better than a brand new IP. What's the hold up?

Ralemont

not me
Doesnt Bioware focus on one project at a time now? All the studios assist the lead studio was my understanding. Even Mike Laidlaw, creative director of Dragon Age, said that Dragon Age 4 isnt a thing yet.

According to Aaryn Flynn the studios are still largely separated into teams. DA4 is almost assuredly greenlit, with Mark Darrah tweeting out DA-related teases for months now.

I really don't understand why we haven't gotten a new one yet.

It's something the public have been salivating for, demanding a new installment for over a decade. A new KOTOR would sell like hotcakes, or at least would be guaranteed to sell better than a brand new IP. What's the hold up?

if by public you mean the hardcore fans that still care, sure

TreIII

If they made a Star Wars game, it would nigh assuredly be set in the new time frame, or at earliest, the original trilogy-ish era.

Can we be sure about that?

For example, Stig and Respawn's game looks to be set in a period where Jedi/Sith battles seem to be the order of the day. I honestly think that as time goes on, those in charge probably have to be willing to let comic writers, show runners and game makers explore other eras, for want of not having to work so tightly in the increasingly crowded Pre-Ep4 era, or the "let the movie writers handle this" new trilogy era.

As long as Disney and the new overseers of Star Wars canon have their say-so and don't let allow the things that made the old EU became the mess it did, what would be the harm?

shingi70

Banned
With there being more relevant eras that need fleshing out than the old republic. Unless they took the old republic location to mean the time right before the prequels started.

LiamR

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't think some sites get the distinction between something being prototyped and something in full development. Maybe I should have explained that better.

This can't go unnoticed...The code name for their new IP is Project Dylan.

That may be the greatest codename in our brief existence, PROJECT DYLAN!

When this game comes out and if there's a huge quality difference between than what we got with Andromeda, I can only blame DYLAN.

foxdvd

uh.. if this new ip was set in the Mass Effect universe.. and was a full coop rpg game with the mass effect combat system.. I think I would put myself in a cryo pod until it came out..

DoctorDake

Neo Member
Sorry about the misunderstanding. I don't think some sites get the distinction between something being prototyped and something in full development. Maybe I should have explained that better.

If you're gonna leak rumors, at least get the details straight instead of rushing to comment. Between this and the Dylan confusion... GAF isn't even letting you be a source for leaks anymore. There's no rush to print! Take your time.

ViciousDS

Banned
According to Aaryn Flynn the studios are still largely separated into teams. DA4 is almost assuredly greenlit, with Mark Darrah tweeting out DA-related teases for months now.

hopefully he smacks some sense into them after we have had 2 hinterlands 2 games in a row (Andromeda and Inquisition)......do it Mark!!!! Although hes not responsible for Andromeda so......can't really place any blame on him.

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Dylan: like Destiny, but featuring folk and rock singers joining forces against The Man and The Establishment.

The lobby is where we go all along the watchtower.

hidys

Bioware if you want to redeem your brand, we will accept nothing less than KOTOR 3 in Unreal Engine 4.

Only if they freelance Chris Avellone to be the lead writer.

New KOTOR >>>> Destiny clone. Why publishers think we need another multiplayer shooter is beyond me.

Because a loot based online shooter developed by Bioware will make a shit-tonne of money. Factoring development costs of those two projects I'd bet the Destiny clone would probably make more money than KOTOR 3.

Dylan: like Destiny, but featuring folk and rock singers joining forces against The Man and The Establishment.

The lobby is where we go all along the watchtower.

I'd totally play an action rpg where Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix were quest givers, and Richard Nixon was a boss.

Lazlo

Everyone wants a slice of the long tail MMO-ish genre where you can roll out extra content later if things are popular and cut stuff if it doesn't work out. Also appeals to the general public more than a large time investment single player game does. Hope they can differentiate enough.

Ogodei

Everyone wants a slice of the long tail MMO-ish genre where you can roll out extra content later if things are popular and cut stuff if it doesn't work out. Also appeals to the general public more than a large time investment single player game does. Hope they can differentiate enough.

Those are basically the twin trends in the industry now, multiplayer perpetuals like Destiny or Overwatch, but single player behemoths like GTA, Souls, and Zelda now are the other side of that coin.

Point being that there's still a lot of demand for precisely what BioWare's been up to in the past, rather than the studio having to move in a new direction to chase trends.

Some Nobody

lol doubtful. Bioware's getting kind of consistent about their releases--DA3 came out in 2014, Shadow Realms probably should've happened by now, and Mass Effect got delayed. I could easily see DA4 coming out in 2019 tbh.

As for a KOTOR remake...I think Disney would've put a stop to that. Whatever wing cares about Star Wars, I mean. They wanted a clean break from everything Star Wars-related besides the films, so it'd be surprise if they okayed a remake. But eventually a Star Wars single-player RPG feels like a thing that has to happen, no?

This can't go unnoticed...The code name for their new IP is Project Dylan.

That may be the greatest codename in our brief existence, PROJECT DYLAN!

When this game comes out and if there's a huge quality difference between than what we got with Andromeda, I can only blame DYLAN.

Maybe it will spit hot fire?!?!

CrazyDude

Because a loot based online shooter developed by Bioware will make a shit-tonne of money. Factoring development costs of those two projects I'd bet the Destiny clone would probably make more money than KOTOR 3.

Because Bioware is know for making quality loot based online multiplayer shooters.

I couldn't care less about this game of theirs. If I want to play a destiny like game, I'll play destiny.

lol doubtful. Bioware's getting kind of consistent about their releases--DA3 came out in 2014, Shadow Realms probably should've happened by now, and Mass Effect got delayed. I could easily see DA4 coming out in 2019 tbh.

As for a KOTOR remake...I think Disney would've put a stop to that. Whatever wing cares about Star Wars, I mean. They wanted a clean break from everything Star Wars-related besides the films, so it'd be surprise if they okayed a remake. But eventually a Star Wars single-player RPG feels like a thing that has to happen, no?

Depends on how loose your definition of rpg is. Everything we've heard about Viscerals game suggests it's a pretty straight action rpg. Really the only major difference between Andromeda, and Dragon Age, that I'm expecting is a lack of companions.

hidys

Because Bioware is know for making quality loot based online multiplayer shooters.

About as much as Bungie or Gearbox before they made Destiny or Borderlands. It's a genre which has a lot of commercial potential and I wouldn't necessarily describe this genre as being over-saturated.

I honestly don't trust modern Bioware to do any kind of justice to (single player) KotOR. I'd rather they just leave it to history.

Ahasverus

Is the market there for it though? There has to be a saturation point.

Lazlo

Those are basically the twin trends in the industry now, multiplayer perpetuals like Destiny or Overwatch, but single player behemoths like GTA, Souls, and Zelda now are the other side of that coin.

Point being that there's still a lot of demand for precisely what BioWare's been up to in the past, rather than the studio having to move in a new direction to chase trends.

That's true, though GTA is leagues ahead of any souls or zelda sales figures (as much as they're great games they don't sell on the same scale). It's also somewhat hard to compare GTA to anything because of their development cycle (take two can afford the time and money to put a GTA out in a 4-5+ year cycle). Still, with GTA people who are still playing nowadays are primarily invested in the multiplayer side, I would say more than the single player sandbox, and that's driving microtransaction and dlc sales.

Andromeda is now out and will fill that single player story slot (with microtransaction multiplayer) for a while at least. I guess however that more resources are being put towards this new project, perhaps to the point where resources were not allocated enough to Andromeda depending on "Dylan"'s development timeline.

x-Lundz-x

I couldn't care less about this game of theirs. If I want to play a destiny like game, I'll play destiny.

I didn't realize Bungie was known for making quality loot based multiplayer shooters before they made Destiny. Amazing.

hidys

Is the market there for it though? There has to be a saturation point.

In terms of proper active MMO-shooters there is The Division and Destiny. Every genre reaches a saturation point but it's pretty hard to argue that this genre is anywhere close to that.

Keep in mind if a Bioware Destiny/The Division only needs to sell half as well as Destiny to be one the most successful games Bioware has ever released.

I sort of wonder if Bioware is in a panic for their new IP game, which sounds like it has been consuming the bulk of the studios resources for a while now. If they release it this year or next, a lot of people I think are just going to take a "wait and see" attitude because of ME:A.

Releasing something good in between ME:A and their new game would be the smart move, a sort of palate cleanser, and the easiest thing would be a remaster of something they already know works - a ME trilogy remaster or KOTOR remaster.

Top Bottom