• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The BioWare KotOR game rumor isn't exactly true, explains situation

Some Nobody

Is the market there for it though? There has to be a saturation point.

Depends on how different it is from Destiny. If it looks similar but plays differently that'd do it. I mean, just make it third-person and it's automatically in a different market.

Depends on how loose your definition of rpg is. Everything we've heard about Viscerals game suggests it's a pretty straight action rpg. Really the only major difference between Andromeda, and Dragon Age, that I'm expecting is a lack of companions.

I was under the impression that Visceral's game was going to be like Uncharted, what with Amy Hennig being over it. What specifically made you think action-RPG?

I would take a new patch that enables widescreen + higher resolutions without having to resort to various hacks. Similar to the KOTOR 2 patch from a couple of years ago.

Is the market there for it though? There has to be a saturation point.

I think Nirolak pointed out recently that the genre has had a pretty steady stream of big hits: Destiny, The Division, Borderlands, Ghost Recon Wildlands. Seems to be a pretty safe bet right now.

I was under the impression that Visceral's game was going to be like Uncharted, what with Amy Hennig being over it. What specifically made you think action-RPG?

Job listings, specifically,

THE PROJECT VISION IN AREAS OF HERO CONTROL/MECHANICS, AI BEHAVIORS, COMBAT/WEAPONS, CLASS DESIGN, SKILLS/PROGRESSION, ENEMY DESIGN, STORY AND BOSS ENCOUNTERS.

, weapons tuning and feel, enemy concept and design, tools/upgrades, economy, balance, testing, etc.

You don't spend 4+ years on an Uncharted game, unless something goes horribly wrong.

Snickle

Neo Member
Dylan you say...

dave-chappelle-dylan-making-the-band-sCPXWE2QvwKGI

Stiler

I really REALLY hope this "Dylan" game does what Destiny failed to live up to. Mainly the entire rpg/narrative side and world design.

A lot of people thought Destiny was going to be like an mmorpg in terms of having large OPEN worlds to explore , find quests, play with friends and see random other real players within the world. Then we ended up getitng quite a linear focused game with little/no story, you couldn't even talk to npc's. It was much more like "diablo" in terms of its world design.

Hopefully this game gives us the game Desinty could/should have been. Heavy rpg elements, lots of quests, and actual open non-linear corridor worlds to explore and find things in.

Never made much sense to me. How could they (BW) have been developing Andromeda, Dylan, SWTOR, pre-production on Dragon Age 4, AND a new KOTOR?? They are already stretched too thin.

They have multiple Bioware studios.

The main OG one is Bioware Edmonton, they are the ones working on "Dylan" the new big IP. This is the studio responsible for most of the big known Bioware games, KOTOR, Dragon Age, NWN, etc.

There's Bioware Montreal, which are the ones who worked on Andromeda; which was their first game.

Then there's Bioware Austin, which are the ones that work on SW:TOR, which was their first game.

Bioware Edmonton can and does help in some ways with each of these studios, but not in a full development capacity.

People still want this to happen after Inquisition and Andromeda? Baffling'

What other choice is there? You want Dice to make a Kotr RPG? Criterion? Maxis?

Like it or not, there is very little chance of Ea ever giving up the Star Wars license. You gotta take what you can get, or keep replaying Ktor 2.

Just get rid of Dragon Age and make a new Star Wars IP instead. After Inquisition I feel that Dragon Age could use a time out in the corner for a while.

Lt-47

People still want this to happen after Inquisition and Andromeda? Baffling'

Instead not getting anything at all ? Yeah totally, why anyone not want that. It's not like the previous games will get worse if they screw up...

If Kotor is going to replace anything it might as well be Mass Effect. Full circle.

I'd honestly be ok if both went away and all the effort from both those teams went towards a new Star Wars IP. KOTOR was one of the best games I've ever played. I still play it about once every two years... For me, it was BioWare's peak.

I'm curious to see what Bioware and EA are cooking up as their own equivalent to Destiny. It's not a genre I'm especially enamoured with, but big new tentpole AAA IPs are always exciting. Destiny has done far future and The Division has done modern pandemic, so I wonder what angle Bioware will shoot for.

Enthus

But we already got KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+?

Please just let Obsidian handle the series.

Renekton

The co-op genre is getting kind of crowded. Destiny 2 and Borderlands 3 coming soon too.

Capcom probably saw this coming thus cancelled Deep Down and kept DDO in Japan.

Patryn

Doesnt Bioware focus on one project at a time now? All the studios assist the lead studio was my understanding. Even Mike Laidlaw, creative director of Dragon Age, said that Dragon Age 4 isnt a thing yet.

He's clarified that by saying that a game isn't a thing until it's announced, at which point it's a thing.

Dragon Age 4 hasn't officially been announced yet. Do the math.

A new KOTOR game doesn't really make any sense to me. Disney made the entire Star Wars extended universe non-canon, including the KOTOR series and the MMO is even classed as non-canon despite it still being worked on. They did that so they could start over again and do things how they want, re-introducing the KOTOR series pretty much as it was would defeat the point of doing that. If it did happen it won't be a KOTOR 3, at best it would be a complete reboot like all the other things they've bought back into the Star Wars canon, where it's something new that's just somewhat based on what was there before, but it's not actually the same thing.

I doubt they'd use a game based on something that they never had any input on in the first place to add an entire new (as in, new to the current canon) setting when there's hardly any information about it in the first place at the moment. Just going "Here's the entire Old Republic era at once even though you knew almost nothing about it before!" doesn't really fit with how they've approached it so far. You could say it doesn't have to be canon but that isn't how they've done things so far. All the new games since Disney got the license have been canon, even the Mobile games. The gameplay itself obviously isn't, but the content with them is - for example that's how Shadow Troopers were reintroduced, they appeared in Battlefront 2015 as a skin so now they're back again...and because all we've seen of them so far is that skin, we know nothing about them beyond "they're somehow special Stormtroopers".

I don't see why they'd really decide to just bring it back rather than do their own thing. So far the few bits of information they've given us about the setting in the new canon are somewhat different from how things were before as well.

There's no reason it couldn't or shouldnt be a reboot. Or shit make it in an entirely different era and/or title. Technically the prequel Republic was the "old" one, so it could even take place around then and still keep the title. And yadayadayada. Why EA aren't making any RPG with their SW license is beyond me. I want it. I need it.

Just a proper remaster would be perfect with wide screen and controller support with maybe some hi-res textures or something. Granted you can mod the PC version but its a pain in the ass. I don't care about a Destiny re-skin. Just give Kotor fans a decent remaster and they'll be happy.

I really want a new KOTOR. Possibly more than any other title. With that being said I actually wouldn't mind it not being a RTWP title but give you the choice Ala DAI or possibly just do a real time RPG.

There's so many ways they could make a new Kotor game and I'm so damn ready.

gogosox82

But we already got KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12+?

Please just let Obsidian handle the series.

Obsidian isn't the same Obsidian we all knew and loved. Chris Avallone and many others left a few years ago so I don't know about giving it to Obsidian right now. Might as well let Bioware do it as long as they have the A team on it (Bioware Edmonton) I think it will be fine.

I honestly don't know if I want a KOTOR 3 from Bioware. They've fallen off a little. I don't think they could live up to the first two, but I say that as someone who holds the franchise in reverence. KOTOR I and II are my most replayed games ever.

lumzi23

This would be amazing if it happened. The first two are the games of my life. Best games ever. Kotor 3 is what I need from gaming more than anything else.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Hmm....kind of curious on how they would even do KOTOR III at this point.

It's kind of similar to the problem WoW has from going back to WC4 in that where in terms of the lore can you stick so that it's still 'memorable' from that era (i.e. not a reboot or a 10,000 years prior/after moment), and you also have to worry about 'ruining' people's stories they encountered in the MMO-sphere.

jdstorm

Banned
Honestly if Dylan is just a modern new IP Mass Effect 1 but with the ability to have Co Op/Online friends play as your party members. That would be Amazing.

Hmm....kind of curious on how they would even do KOTOR III at this point.

It's kind of similar to the problem WoW has from going back to WC4 in that where in terms of the lore can you stick so that it's still 'memorable' from that era (i.e. not a reboot or a 10,000 years prior/after moment), and you also have to worry about 'ruining' people's stories they encountered in the MMO-sphere.

Reboot and Remaster KotOR 1 and 2 except combine the 2 seperate player characters into one defult Female Protagonist. Then continue the 3rd as a completion of a trilogy and have it focus on being a Neutral force user.

lumzi23

Reboot and Remaster KotOR 1 and 2 except combine the 2 seperate player characters into one defult Female Protagonist. Then continue the 3rd as a completion of a trilogy and have it focus on being a Neutral force user.

That's really all quite awful what you said. Completely terrible (no offense).

The Shepard

EA seriously need to that loose that star wars licence. They had bioware, the star wars licence and a ton of cash to make KOTOR 3 and did... nothing with it. All they've released is battlefront 1 and 2. The worse handling off such a prized licence in video game history. KOTOR 3 is a dream game for me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
EA seriously need to that loose that star wars licence. They had bioware, the star wars licence and a ton of cash to make KOTOR 3 and did... nothing with it. All they've released is battlefront 1 and 2. The worse handling off such a prized licence in video game history. KOTOR 3 is a dream game for me.

I will agree I'm not happy with EA's handling of it so far, but I would wager that LucasArts story group still has to approve the projects, and they are not ready to dive into the Old Republic just yet as far as fleshing out canon.

Top Bottom