• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The Next Aliens Game Stars Ellen Ripley's Daughter, FPS, Stealth/Horror focus

V_Ben

Banned
http://kotaku.com/source-the-next-aliens-game-stars-ellen-ripleys-daugh-1449318113

The next video game in the world of Aliens will star the daughter of superstar space marine Ellen Ripley, according to a Kotaku source.P

The game is called Alien: Isolation, and we hear it will be on both current- and next-gen consoles next year. Isolation is developed by the British studio Creative Assembly (Total War); it's a first-person shooter that uses both stealth and horror elements; and it's inspired by games like Dishonored and Bioshock, according to our source, a person familiar with goings-on at Sega, who spoke under condition of anonymity in the interest of protecting their job. P

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate. They want to make sure Isolation is a better game, and according to our source, it's already been delayed at least once—Sega originally planned to announce the game at E3 of 2013.P

You, as Amanda, spend most if not all of the game on a single space station, according to our source. There's only one alien for "most" of the game, our source said; you'll mostly be shooting through "clones and soldiers." Vents, lockers, and melee weapons are a big part of Isolation, our source said, and the game is heavily inspired by the first Alien movie.
Bolded makes me happy.

More, of course, at the link. Nice get, Jason!

Edit: The title of this post makes it sound like Kotaku writer Jason Schreier is, in fact, the daughter of the main character in the Alien franchise. This was not intentional. I'm giggling like an idiot at the idea of playing as Jason Schreier, daughter of Ripley. Whose name I misspelt in the title.

Jason Schreier is Ellen Ripley's daughter? :)

I remember enjoying the old PC AVP2 back in the day, and would love to see a game that manages to approach that game's quality level. Of course, just about anything would be better than Colonial Marines...

Edit: The title of this post makes it sound like Kotaku writer Jason Schrier is, in fact, the daughter of the main character in the Alien franchise. This was not intentional.

You mean he isn't the daughter of a fictional character? :O

Anyway, this sounds like it could be cool. Definitely a good thing that Sega took all the bad feedback to heart and wants to rectify it.

ripleysdaughter.jpg

stephentotilo

Behind The Games

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So they mess again with the canon of the movies?

What happened between Alien and Aliens is a pretty big empty space though, particularly wrt Ripley's daughter, right?

I mean from the movies, we know she exists and that's about it.

(Or is my memory really failing me? Is she referenced anywhere else but at the start of Aliens?)

chadskin

Creative Assembly is an ... interesting choice for the project. Looking at the list of their published games, they have no experience with first person shooters at all. I don't see this going well ...

LiK

Creative Assembly is an ... interesting choice for the project. Looking at the list of their published games, they have no experience with first person shooters at all. I don't see this going well ...

Exactly my thought. Odd choice. Maybe they're trying to spread their wings.

NZNova

"We promise it won't be complete rat shit like the last one!" is good to hear, I guess, although it doesn't exactly fill me to the brim with excitement. But, alright, sure - go nuts.

So they mess again with the canon of the movies?

Like I said in the other thread. Let it die. Please.

Well, there were plenty of years for Ripley´s daughter to look for her mother between the Nostromo incident and her natural death in earth...it´s a way better idea than the nonsensical mindfuck of Colonial Marines

Binabik15

Perhaps most importantly, our source says that Sega took the critical reception to Aliens: Colonial Marines very seriously, and that the publisher put together a postmortem following the near-unanimously negative reactions to their last Aliens game, which was developed by the studios Gearbox and TimeGate.

They created a detailed list.

1) Don't work with Gearbox again

2) ???

3) Profit

charsace

Since when is Ripley a space marine? She's a consultant to space marines in Aliens, but she was never a space marine. And the only Ripley that could have had a daughter is the clone who escaped the lab in Alien 4. Any kids that Ripley would have would not be a regular person.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
What happened between Alien and Aliens is a pretty big empty space though, particularly wrt Ripley's daughter, right?

(Or is my memory really failing me? Is she referenced anywhere else but at the start of Aliens?)

Shes only mentioned, like you said, but the movie etablished, that nobody, except maybe WY knew about what happened on LV-426. When they let Ripleys Daughter go in the game to LV-426, there must be other people involved, which have to be impreggned (at last, if they care about the lifecycle, CM shitted on this, too...).

And I really cant imagend anything that will leed correctly to Aliens.
Its said, that Ripleys daughter died of a natural death in a high age, so there is no way they can let her return in peace, because, you know, if you go to a planet with killer-space-bugs, you either die while returning or you are going to tell everybody.

Ludist210

Eh, it could work. Sort of the reverse example, but Retro Studios didn't have any experience with anything but FPS games when Donkey Kong Country Returns came out (at least not anything that ever launched), and it turned out good. So there's hope.

Squire

Banned
Jason will have even better one-liners thN Nate Drake!

But seriously, great news. Sounds like Sega is really playing it smart here. Announcing this at last years E3 would have resulted in 90% apathy being so close to CM's release.

Timeaisis

Hope this isn't terrible. The Alien series canon really shouldn't be messed with more than it already was.

But, then again, CA is a good developer. Although they don't really have a track record with FPS games...I have hope.

Malreyn

Wait, didn't Ripley's Daughter die of old age? According to the scene from the Director's cut, Ripley was
lost in space for 57 seven years, and when she came back, she found out about her daughter from Burke with the photo of an old woman.

Savitar

Wait, didn't Ripley's Daughter die of old age? According to the scene from the Director's cut, Ripley was
lost in space for 57 seven years, and when she came back, she found out about her daughter from Burke with the photo of an old woman.

This is true.

But it wouldn't be the first time they changed things up.

Not like it's cannon right.

Or would they do the same thing for a movie?

And then it is.

Dr Dogg

Well she is referenced in the novelization of Aliens which was adapted from the Cameron/Giler/Hill Screenplay. This was released before the Special Edition came out so was technical the first mention of her. Other than that I think there is an earlier reference in one of the expanded novel, The Female War but I doubt that's really classed as canon anyways.

weevles

Title makes it sound as if Jason is the daughter.

Everything about this game is confusing.

After the last game, I can't trust any new title with this IP.

Anteater

I always just thought her daughter was just an ordinary person and lived a normal life while her mom has gone missing :eek:

In all seriousness though, I struggle to give a shit about this. Aliens games are like Star Wars games; their misses far outnumber their hits. After a pair of mediocre FPSs it's a shame Sega are still going down that road. The Creative Assembly seem like an odd choice for the genre, although anything to get them out of the cycle of Total War games is no bad thing.

Meh, hope for good things but have low expectations. I have no idea how they're reasonably going to fit Ripley's daughter into the canon though. Personally I'd rather they leave the established story alone and create a new plot; perhaps with a ship finding LV-421 before the Nostromo, or humans finding the Aliens' home planet. Stop messing with Ripley and the marines' timeline.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Maybe the ending twist of the game is that Wayland Yutani just photoshopped a picture of Ripley to let her believe that her daughter died in a high age, while in real she were killed on LV-246 while killing some Xenos with a Queen impreggned.
I would not be suprised after all this stuff with
Hicks
in Colonial Marines

Top Bottom