• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: The PS5 Is Kind Of Buggy Right Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraXT

Banned
Stalled downloads. Crashes while games are suspended. Occasional freezing. The PS5 has some great games, and it’s been fun to finally get some hands-on time with PlayStation’s future, but the next-gen console has had some weird issues.

Today, Sony offered a workaround for one of the most widely discussed issue, known as the download queue bug. Some players have found that when they select a game to download onto the PS5, it looks like the PS5’s about to begin the download, and then...nothing. The progress bar sits at 0% downloaded indefinitely, no matter how many times players try to start the process over again.

Previously, the solution was to do a full factory reset on the console, but that was extremely tedious and meant deleting a bunch of data, especially if you’d already transferred everything from your PS4. Now, Sony is suggesting players start up their PS5s in safe mode (turn on the console by holding down the power button for several seconds) and select the option to rebuild the database instead. This resolves the issue without deleting anything, though it still requires some leg work and remains far from ideal for a brand new next-gen console.

Meanwhile, there are other ongoing issues that still don’t seem to have fixes. One of them is the system crashing when in suspend mode. Rather than turn back on, the PS5 will beep and go through an extended boot up sequence, saying the system is “repairing console storage” as if you had pulled the power plug out while it was running.

It’s unclear why this is happening, and what, if any, problems it might create for the console longterm. As a result, some users have suggested simply turning off Rest mode entirely in the settings menu and closing out of any game before shutting the system down.

vilxmmthblxkb2svaqju.jpg

Then there’s the issue of the PS5 sometimes defaulting to installing and running the PS4 versions of games, even when using a PS5 disc. It’s an easy problem to correct by manually switching to the next-gen version, but if you’re not paying attention you can end up playing the wrong version. Despite an official workaround for this from Activision, I’ve still had Black Ops Cold War occasionally default to the PS4 version.

More frustrating are the occasional freezes and crashes while in the middle of playing. I had Cold War freeze up on me a couple times when restarting missions, and Kotaku’s Editor-in-Chief mentioned Miles Morales freezing the couple times he tried to jump into different sections of the game using the PS5’s activity cards.

It’s hard to know how much those freezes are console problems versus issues with the particular games in question, but it’s left the PS5’s first week out in the wild feeling a bit jankier than I’d like. Hopefully those rough edges continue to get sanded down in time.

/

ZehDon

Gold Member
I hadn’t realised it what quite this widespread. I’m sure Sony will get it patched in the near future.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Biggest Problem so far has been Modern Warfare, had to redownload all the packs only for it to tell me the game installed was different and I had to delete and reinstall.
Done that twice.
Works by now, but My sister still haven't managed to get it working, she's on her fourth try

Tiamat2san

So far I got several crashes in demon’s souls, even one that restarted the console.
Weird stuffs in miles morales.
I set the language in English and subtitles in French.
Sometimes miles suddenly speaks in French ( with the French Cartman voice😂) and in some cutscenes , miles doesn’t have a voice, everyone else is fine but not miles, and he doesn’t have subtitles in that case.

Finally, I can’t charge my dualsense in rest mode.
Right now , to play it’s connected to a power bank... great job guys.

when I think of people making fun of the Xbox pad because of its batteries...
Fuck that shit !

base

Banned
It's normal. Ps4 and ps3 had buggy OS as well. Had 2 ps4 and 1 ps4 pro and all of them were sometimes having issue with Rest Mode. Even on newer software.

Handy Fake

Regarding the download bug, from what we saw it stalled at 0% but if you go into actual downloads it is downloading. Then the 0% fixed itself. Was a little weird, I think it might be to do with it showing two versions of the game; the main game and update for the game simultaneously and getting confused with the naming.

Last edited:
This is triggering for those of us without a PS5; Kotaku needs to reckon with their gamer privilege. We need to have a serious discussion about the structural classism inherent in video game journalism and build a new system going forward.

That's nice, you got me there. Still, this is one of the rare circumstances where Kotaku is actually doing straight up due diligence, shouldn't we be more appreciative of once in a blue moon events?

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
never encountered any issue .. mine is great but yeah consoles through out history has issues specially after launch, and we know that already.

My dualsense doesn't charge in rest mode as well, very annoying as the cable is too short to play on my couch.
I dont have the PS5 but try going into the settings and adjusting when power stops going to the usb ports.
Sometimes on my ps4 I would put it in rest mode but forget to plug in my controller, then plug it in 6 hours later thinking it would charge but the power settings were set to shut the usb ports off after a certain time.

Blond

Banned
Is "they'll patch it" already a meme?

Anyway. Kids, thats why you shouldn't buy new equipment right on release.

no kidding. But I have to admit, you shouldn’t knock early adopters because of them it trickles down into cheaper hardware and better software for later adopters. Two things that wouldn’t exist without them.

I’ve had good luck so far but knock on wood

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom