• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

ChaosXVI

*sigh* I'm still not a fan of this whole concept, but it seems there's really no way to stop it now if both companies are doing it. It's funny to me that this is a concept Nintendo invented for their handhelds and yet they are going to be the last to adapt it to consoles.

The whole Xbox games on PC thing is insurance if this whole thing fails though, I 100% believe that. Then they can say "hey we tried" and eventually go PC only.

Dabanton

I hope people now get used to the idea of iterative consoles and we don't go through the same song and dance we in the NEO threads

I think those threads were the breaking in of a lot of people, I don't think we'll see as much wailing and gnashing, really.

Leflus

So this is Herb's invention that translates baby gibberish into easily understood statements then?
Hah. That remains to be seen. :)

For now, I'm just happy that the Scorpio doesn't sound like the jack of all trades, master of none Frankenstein's-monster that was the Xbox One in 2013.

Falchion

The iterative hardware is really happening it seems like, I just want Sony and Microsoft to make a firm announcement about this stuff.

No, they just grossly misinterpreted it. It was a comprehension failure.

Well, he worded in such a way that was easily misinterpreted when what he really meant is he saw the difference as greater than .5. It didn't mean they weren't doing an iterative console as they obviously are.

Averon

I can see MS going for a Zen based APU to make sure the Xbox 1.5 isn't lagging behind the PS4k. I'm sure MS is eager to retake the stronger hardware crown from Sony.

I honestly wonder what Microsoft expects of something like an Xbox 1.5 and how they'll respond if it fails to meet their expectations.

Are they expecting it to reinvigorate the brand and boost sales, or are they doing it solely because Sony is doing the same thing and they feel like they have to compete?

Yeah its interesting, especially as by the time of the 1.5's release the PS4 userbase will be circa 60million, while the Xbox one might be lucky to be at 30.

So the 1.5 will be fighting the PS4's user base, the Neo, the NX(if its out in march), it being the 5th home console release in 3.5 years (PS4,XBO, NX, PS4k, XB1.5) will there be a swell of people waiting on jump in? sounds like it'll be arriving a little to late

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sony's gotta be considering a spec upgrade for the Neo. The difference between the Scorpio and the Neo sounds very substantial.

Are there any leaked specs for Scorpio? Or what's that based on?

That said, if it's coming some months after Neo I'd expect it to meet or beat the latter. At least as long as they're not sticking to the eDRAM setup.

Nothing can change the fact that the Xbox brand is now irrelevant in most of the planet after the 2013 fiasco. That's why they will merge it with Windows....

And Sony is going to jump-start them again with the PS4 Neo and VR next fall

Good luck trying to sell the same thing 6 months later

SOR5

Scorpio will probably be a massive rebranding and rehaul of the look, marketing, controls, internals, dashboard etc. but not so drastic that the core is redone from scratch

So basically, its the forward compatibility of a 1.5, with the extra pizazz of a next-gen launch

heres the easiest way I can put this

Xbone=Windows Vista Service Pack 2
Scorpio=Windows 7

Just speculation, of course

mcrommert

Banned
So IF I'm getting this right:

XB1 Slim this year...

XB1.5 Next Year ( not a new generation but 1.5 like PS4K )...

Yeah this seems more reasonable than starting a complete new generation in 2017.

Well they seem to be treating as a new generation....software support will be forced until xbox 3

We don't know that. It has to be substantial to support rift.

I dont think the 2017 sku will be rift ready.
My guess is X1.5 will be microsoft ps4 neo competitor a premium current gen console.
That will provide more gpu and cpu power, so 1080p can be a requirement and stablize the framerate to 30 or 60 fps targets. But you also have freesync coming i guess with AMD tech. So the framerate requirement could be anything between 30~60 fps.

Then the X2.0 could launch in 2018 or 2019 be 4k ready sits around 4~5 times
the performance of the X1.5 and Ps4 neo. Make it mandatory for devs to support sku that are younger then 6~8 years. Sku older then 6~8 years are optional for a dev to support.

I think sony will also follow the same route if they want to keep the intervals between console releases smaller. Just support our SKU that are younger then 6~8 years.

If XB 1.5 launches next year, that means they can go with a ZEN + VEGA combo, but we shall see, it's possible that such a combo might require too much power-draw and too heavy a price point for a console, but it will be interesting to know how it pans out.

i can tell you now. xbox 1.5 will not have a zen+vega combo. that's absurd.

I'm not sure what to make of any of this news.
Other than the fact that I best be getting rid of the X1 now if I want a decent trade in value.

The God

So how do the hardware manufacturers make sure more and more games take advantage of the upgraded HW? Software upgrade mandates?

psyfi

Banned
Cool, I'm down. I'm more than happy to sell off the older model every year or two and get the new one. My only concerns are environmental, honestly. It seems like this'll cause consoles to get tossed out at a far higher rate. Hopefully the second hand market will help mitigate that.

firelogic

I'm really not excited by this iterative releases. If they keep the price down then it'll be less shit but still, I'm a console gamer because I like buying a console and knowing that I won't need another one for 5-10 years.

I'm not pleased

You can stay on that timeline. Whether the PS4K comes out or not, you'd still be gaming on your PS4 with the same games and the same performance. Pretend the PS4K doesn't exist until you want it to. For example, the Horizon Zero Dawn experience you'd have on your PS4 doesn't change because of the PS4K. If PS4K didn't exist you'd be playing it on PS4 at 1080/30. If PS4K does exist you're still playing it on your PS4 at 1080/30.

cakely

So, a faster console, with VR support ... in 2017?

This sounds more like they're playing catch-up than actually competing.

Will0827

Question is:

-How often do they iterate? Every year? Two years?
-How old of a box will no longer play new games? 2 years? 4 years? 6 years?
-How often will the old box version be competent and how often will it be a broken pile of crap?

I think every three years is fair. That's looking to be the case for these upcoming revisions.

cackhyena

So, a faster console, with VR support ... in 2017?

This sounds more like they're playing catch-up than actually competing.

They started off this gen on the wrong foot. There really is no catching up. There's just keeping your head above water.

SOR5

So yeah what I think, Scorpio will be a Xbone 1.5, but it will have so much hardware improvements and aesthetic changes that you might as well just change the name and market it completely different.

Again

Xbone=Vista
Scorpio=7

If it goes right

Boke1879

Sony nor MS will say anything at E3. Sony will wait until later this year to announce if a November release is to be believed

gamz

It's everyone ok with this?! This is still a fucking terrible idea imo, especially for devs.

Do we seriously have to go through this on every single one of these threads. Some people love it and some people hate it. The others are on the fence.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, he worded in such a way that was easily misinterpreted when what he really meant is he saw the difference as greater than .5. It didn't mean they weren't doing an iterative console as they obviously are.

Well of course, the master of the PR tongue, just like how they are handing the ability to cancel the Win10 'forced' upgrades. They have not changed when it comes to being just fucking open and forthright.

But, how you described it, with the difference greater than a 'half step' in power is how I interpreted it as well. It is quite obvious to read between the lines with them over the past 20+ years of PR deciphering.

Do we seriously have to go through this on every single one of these threads. Some people love it and some people hate it. The others are on the fence.

Agreed.

When the first PlayStation came out I switched from PC for the following reasons:

1. No game patches/updates.
2. No waiting to install games.
3. You only upgrade your hardware whenever a new console is out, so you get 5-7 years out of your console, without it ever being inferior.

Now that 1, 2 and 3 are no longer relevant I guess I am switching back.

dose

It's no different to working on PC or mobile.
Mobile is a pain too, especially Android. And just because you think it's no different to those doesn't mean it won't be a nightmare. I look forward to even more games with unoptimised frame rates.

So it seems ms is launching slim (at a lower price) this year as a counter measure to Ps Neo since the new xbox had to be delayed with win10.

And next year they are definitely coming for more oomph than neo.

It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Jerm411

All this NEO/Scorpio talk can hold on, not even ready to wrap my head around it lol....I'm more interested in the "XB1 Slim" or whatever it is.

Been waiting for that to jump in seeing what's coming down the pipe this year on the One...super excited, esp. with the rumored 2 TB hard drive and *hopeful* internal power supply.

Ferr986

It's everyone ok with this?! This is still a fucking terrible idea imo, especially for devs.

Not everyone, but it's not worth discussing anymore IMO. Some people have so much trust in these companies that they think everything will be fair.

How does this make you want to switch from PC to Xbox? If anything i'd think it would be the other way around. Especially with the Xbox library basically all coming to PC.

Because I prefer playing on my Xbox with all my friends, and having it also be the most up to date in terms of graphics and performance like a PC is exactly what I want.

Kudo

X1, X1.5, PS4, PS4K, NX. Stay strong developers :')

With Kingdom Hearts 2.8 being announced for PS4 only, I could see future scenario where games become PS4 & NX depending what it is if they drop more support for the Xbox.
I just hope Japan can somehow get along with this change, unoptimized games for a generation would be nightmare.

Oh well, will be interesting to see how things pan out. I guess Microsoft is planning to make Xbox more synonymous with the PC now.

Top Bottom