• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

People have friends who are split between Xbox and PC and want to play with them

Its also nice to effectively unlock the game for usage on whatever device im on

Like its just a good thing

Its just a nice thing to have, its an inherently positive thing, its a consumer friendly thing. It was good whenever they did it on the PS3/PS4/Vita, its good here.

I understand that totally about cross-play but the guy said he would pay extra if it included both versions. Like having two versions of the same game is a major selling point.

Flintty

Microsoft pursuing a deal with Oculus and having BC iterative consoles. Fucking called it. Awesome news, if true.

gamz

Last gen was a totally different story.
Fact: Xbox One is falling behind (slightly above 20 mio,big guns already fired) and the slim model won't change that.

Starting this fall folks that plan to buy a new console will have to choose amongst several products in the near future: Xbox One Slim, Xbox 2, NX, PS4, PS4 Neo.

If you think that slim will do for One or Xbox Brand in general what it did for 360, I'm calling you Optimistico.

Dude, we have revisions and slim versions every generation. Slim versions aren't released to save generation's. They never have been. If a person is interested in getting a Xbox they can get a slim ver. Perhaps current owners want a second Xbox or whatever. Can't believe I'm explaining this to you.

SOR5

I understand that totally about cross-play but the guy said he would pay extra if it included both versions. Like having two versions of the same game is a major selling point.

Ah

In reference to paying extra for another copy on another platform, nah I wouldnt do that, youre right

But crossplay for every compatible title without changing the price? Thats ace

border

If they actually announce an Oculus deal at E3, I will cancel my PSVR pre-order. Having a headset that works on PC and console would be the real deal.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol

Can not wait to see how the market reacts to 2 versions of a console from both of them.

Like they do with just about every piece of tech out there, from TV's, to computers, to phones, to tablets, to home theater, watches, etc., etc., etc..

Throw money at it.

Xbudz

Problem with a true XB2 is that they'll be starting with an install base of 0 as a major revamp of the architecture would lose backwards compatibility with XB1.

Starting a new console gen with an XB2 would see it go right up against the combined might of a PS4K and PS4 with an install base of, what, 60 million at the time of its release? Of course, MS will make games 100% cross-compatible between PC and XB2, but still.

It will be backwards compatible though.

Gurrry

Man.. im tempted to just sell all my consoles at this point and just stick with my PC. This iterative upgrade path that consoles are going to go down now just isnt my cup of tea.

But people buying pcs to play xbox games instead of xboxs is a lot worse for Microsoft.

Edit:should explain better. They will make a crap load more money off games with Xbox user than a Windows user.

Yes but how many people own all consoles or more than one primary platform per gen? That's an entire market you are leaving out and MS is trying to make use of it. Note that they put out forge and are giving pc users tools to make content which can land back on the xbox and can make them more cash by growing a community and twitch and the e-sports aspect. Tons of games get attention and free marketing just by being on pc which is how minecraft got so big. Selling skins can easily make some cash from that side as well. They've had windows for so long and are finally making use of it. Well it's not like I trust them but it's easy to see they will make a crap load more doing this than not at all. There's a lot to be gained through the pc side and console users won't all become pc users. If that was the case it would have happened last gen when it kept dragging on and on.

Freeman

Banned
Finally, writing was on the wall a long time a go. Xbox needs to just be a PC line for the living room, sharing its library with PC.

Xbox was a mistake.

I hope it ends up being called Xbox Scorpio, just so the whole xbox naming scheme makes even less sense.

X1, X1.5, PS4, PS4K, NX. Stay strong developers :')
Assuming they are going to develop for NX I see.

SOR5

Lol

Can not wait to see how the market reacts to 2 versions of a console from both of them.

Like this

Xbone=PS3
Xbone Slim=PS3 Slim
Scorpio=PS4

(in marketing terms, not anything else)

Fairly simple, the Scorpio will just be marketed to hell and back when it arrives, whilst the Xbone slim takes a backseat

The end of traditional gaming console has arrived.

The traditional cycle is ending, not the hardware itself. It's a four decade year old business model that is dying for a shake up, in an age where its competitors are constantly evolving. You can't be sticking with the same hardware for 5,6, even 7 years in a climate like this one.

c0de

Problem with a true XB2 is that they'll be starting with an install base of 0 as a major revamp of the architecture would lose backwards compatibility with XB1.

What? They even made it possible that xbone is bc to 360. How do you get the idea it won't be compatible?

DavidDesu

Well it's happening PS4K and Xbox 1.5. If Sony plans to release it this year the new Xbox will be more powerful will be interesting to see though I don't think it will change much as the mindshare is with PS but we will see.

Well we can imagine the new Xbox will be on the scene for a year or two max before the potential PS5 becines a reality that will more than likely leapfrog the new Xbox again... fun and games. Oculus support is good to see and something that could cause me to show some interest in Xbox again. If Xbox effectively becomes a decent PC in a box then that can be a good thing.

Bsigg12

Starting a new console gen with an XB2 would see it go right up against the combined might of a PS4K and PS4 with an install base of, what, 60 million at the time of its release? Of course, MS will make games 100% cross-compatible between PC and XB2, but still.

Their goal is to eliminate that restart by maintaining compatibility through software in all likelihood.

Interesting stuff. Intrigued to see just how iterative they are talking. Seems like they want to head in a Steam (Windows) Machine direction, but unlike Steam Machine MS would be the sole manufacturer of the Xbox.

lol if anything scorpio is NOT 1.5 like neo .... "new and revamped architecture" points to a bigger upgrade

Jeez, that better be the case. Especially if it's coming a year after Neo(speculation of course). It better at least be on par with Neo or better. Because why bother if not?

Markoman

Dude, we have revisions and slim versions every generation. Slim versions aren't released to save generation's. They never have been. If a person is interested in getting a Xbox they can get a slim ver. Perhaps current owners want a second Xbox or whatever. Can't believe I'm explaining this to you.

We never had slim models coexisting with more powerful iterations though in one gen.
If an uniformed not to price sensitive person walks into a store this fall and buys a slim Xbox One, he'll be pissed when a more powerful model is released one year later.
An informed person will just wait for the better Xbox2. Canibalization will hurt Sony as well, but since they're the market leader, this is a non issue. Xbox One isn't doing too hot and I'm really curious how MS's sales expectations for slim One look like.

imjust1n

Banned
They need to focus on Video Games not systems.
If there are no good 1st party games why buy a xbox one 1.5 2 or any model of xbox?
So hopfully they can show us more video games at E3 this year. Honestly I have a xbox one and I use is for netflix and chill I own Halo, Sunset, and Rare Replay...There really is no games I really want to buy even this holiday season that Exclusive to Xbox1.

Interesting stuff. Intrigued to see just how iterative they are talking. Seems like they want to head in a Steam (Windows) Machine direction, but unlike Steam Machine MS would be the sole manufacturer of the Xbox.

Depends if they will distribute the xbox os image for others too use.
Then i would build my own xbox one :p

Kremzeek

So this is the end of traditional gens ha? Don't know how I feel about it, I'll miss experiencing the visual jump that we get every gen, now it will be really hard to notice it.

This iterative hardware release strategy sounds awful- it will fragment the user base to the haves & have nots, and create more issues with the programming/development side because they will need to spend more manpower on learning the "new" hardware specs.

If an average AA game takes 2-4 years to make, exactly which model of hardware would they be programming for? Seems like whatever model they would currently be developing for would potentially be obsoleted because a newer better hardware model would be coming out when their game finally ships.
That's not something a "patch" can really fix.

Varg

Banned
I really was hoping that slim would be announced at e3. seems like I'll just buy an Xbox after the conference and just trade in/upgrade whenever it's released. Pretty excited about their pc push. I think it's a very smart idea because they can't compete with Sony outside the Us and Europe. Pc is very popular in those countries. Partnering with oculus pleases me too, as the motion controllers for the vive and psvr turned me off from vr gaming.

Klocker

Yea I'd imagine any new console hardware leap they make from now on (Xbox Scorpio ->) would be backward compatible. And I can see games being made for new and recent hardware versions being scalable like pc games are. Should be pretty cool. No more walled off software and next gen growing pains. And that's not even accounting for whatever the hell they are planning with windows 10

I suspect by that definition, console generations are dead. I don't see a scenario where some sort of cross compatibly between various Xbox versions isn't built in from the start. Think Iphone and the compatibility on its apps with the various phones that it sells.

The UWP/UWA initiative is the main way that I see them trying to implement this going forward.

I will literally throw my Xbox One out the WIndow just like my PS4 if they actually go the iterative route. I mean confirm it, Sony hasn't directly confirmed it but it's pretty much confirmed.

I can't believe people think iterative consoles is a good plan or business strategy, it baffles me how stupid it is. I feel those who are making them and the consumers who support the idea, have no idea how things work and don't realize it makes zero sense.

I mean if the Xbox One and PS4 just released with a slightly more powerful set-up they would likely be at what the PS4K's rumored specs were in the first place. Now we are going to have consoles always weaker than PC, upgrading every couple of years to continue to be weaker than PC, and devsn not being familar with the hardware because new hardware will keep coming out.

Top Bottom