• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: XB1 Slim 2016, More Powerful XB1 Scorpio/VR 2017, iterative boxes from now on

SOR5

Depends if they will distribute the xbox os image for others too use.
Then i would build my own xbox one :p

This is what intrigues me the most
Will PC's be able to legitimately run Xbox One games at some point?
If so Xbox really will have taken its first step into being a software brand as opposed to just a console

I mean for me this and the whole Xbox one exclusives moving the pc as well is fantastic news. I invested into a high end gaming laptop and it does the job. If all this is 100%, the bigger question and consideration is why did they invest so much in multiple devices? The R&D isn't cheap for one device, let alone... what is it, four? Is it to ensure if some of the new devices underperform, maybe one or two of them pan out?

It sounds like MS is uncertain of their future in the gaming sphere and placing multiple solutions out there to see which one keeps them in the living room space. This is not a bad idea in and of itself. It's confusing as hell from the outside looking in.

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see where this all stands a year from now.

I don't know of what to think of this. My wallet hurts when I try to imagine it.

I'm excited, but not. Launching a slim this year, then a better one next will be a lot.

PR_rambo

Banned
MS is going to befuddle the masses with this approach, a branding clusterfuck, too many eggs to fry all at once. I skipped breakfast.

Man.. im tempted to just sell all my consoles at this point and just stick with my PC. This iterative upgrade path that consoles are going to go down now just isnt my cup of tea.

I mean....It sounds exactly like your cup of tea if you're going full PC. Except you'll be piecing your system together instead of buying it pre built.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So basically what I am getting from this is they are extending the Xbox brand across more devices. Why would you buy an Xbox console when you can play Halo 6 on a PC with the Xbox dashboard? That's the point, they no longer give a shit. You still buy Halo 6 from the Xbox Store and play it on the Xbox platform. If you chose to have a different, more traditional console Xbox experience they have a device that offers that, the Slim/Scorpio.

2017? Seems like Sony beat MS to the punch again.

And i called it. MS were not prepared at all for this and the proof is right there. 2017 means November 2017 im positive of that. But having that extra time and rumored oculus support means it needs to have a lot of power. It will probably end up being powerful than Neo.

gamz

We never had slim models coexisting with more powerful iterations though in one gen.
If an uniformed not to price sensitive person walks into a store this fall and buys a slim Xbox One, he'll be pissed when a more powerful model is released one year later.
An informed person will just wait for the better Xbox2. Canibalization will hurt Sony as well, but since they're the market leader, this is a non issue. Xbox One isn't doing too hot and I'm really curious how MS's sales expectations for slim One look like.

Or maybe that person just wants a cheaper Xbox and doesn't care about specs. We get tabs and phones released every year does that cause people not to buy the latest and greatest?

I will literally throw my Xbox One out the WIndow just like my PS4 if they actually go the iterative route. I mean confirm it, Sony hasn't directly confirmed it but it's pretty much confirmed.

I can't believe people think iterative consoles is a good plan or business strategy, it baffles me how stupid it is. I feel those who are making them and the consumers who support the idea, have no idea how things work and don't realize it makes zero sense.

I mean if the Xbox One and PS4 just released with a slightly more powerful set-up they would likely be at what the PS4K's rumored specs were in the first place. Now we are going to have consoles always weaker than PC, upgrading every couple of years to continue to be weaker than PC, and devsn not being familar with the hardware because new hardware will keep coming out.

Did you literally throw your PS4 out the window?

Duxxy3

The end of traditional gaming console has arrived.

Just picked up a steam controller. I don't like the idea of shorter generations.

The reasons why I picked up a console(s) instead of just upgrading my PC are quickly disappearing. It helps that I already have a library of 200+ PC games.

The traditional cycle is ending, not the hardware itself. It's a four decade year old business model that is dying for a shake up, in an age where its competitors are constantly evolving. You can't be sticking with the same hardware for 5,6, even 7 years in a climate like this one.

So instead, to avoid loss leading, let's release a weak console, then release... Another week console because we can't actually make a big jump for iterative consoles because that costs actual money, so now we have to weak consoles, that devs won't have much time to focus on, instead releasing one console with good specs that can have 3 generations of gaming graphics and performance like before.

meanspartan

sigh....rip consoles. It was fun while it lasted. That so many people on here seem fine with this is bumming me out.

Who played Rise of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted 4 and is like "ugggh we need more power sooner this suuuucks!" ?

I mean MS is a software company first and foremost. So they may not be opposed to getting out of the HW industry and move to a distribution service a la Steam.

Not sure the surface brand is growing each year from what i gathered and pretty much the
best two in ones on the market. They look sexy and premium which you couldn't really say pre 2014 about windows laptops.

And i called it. MS were not prepared at all for this and the proof is right there. 2017 means November 2017 im positive of that. But having that extra time and rumored oculus support means it needs to have a lot of power. It will probably end up being powerful than Neo.
If you think MS (or anyone for that matter) can R&D and release a system in a year and a half, you're severely underestimating the complexity of this stuff.

Guaranteed this has been worked on for years. I'm certain both Sony and MS have been thinking about and working on these concepts for a while.

dealer-

I will literally throw my Xbox One out the WIndow just like my PS4 if they actually go the iterative route. I mean confirm it, Sony hasn't directly confirmed it but it's pretty much confirmed.

I can't believe people think iterative consoles is a good plan or business strategy, it baffles me how stupid it is. I feel those who are making them and the consumers who support the idea, have no idea how things work and don't realize it makes zero sense.

I mean if the Xbox One and PS4 just released with a slightly more powerful set-up they would likely be at what the PS4K's rumored specs were in the first place. Now we are going to have consoles always weaker than PC, upgrading every couple of years to continue to be weaker than PC, and devsn not being familar with the hardware because new hardware will keep coming out.

I thought one of the main benefits of iterative consoles is that devs don't have to start from scratch each gen as the systems will be constantly evolving rather stop/start seven year gen cycles.

Interesting stuff. Intrigued to see just how iterative they are talking. Seems like they want to head in a Steam (Windows) Machine direction, but unlike Steam Machine MS would be the sole manufacturer of the Xbox.

They should make it possible for Windows 10 pcs to emulate the Xbox One OS. Like how the Xbox one does with the 360.

sigh....rip consoles. It was fun while it lasted. That so many people on here seem fine with this is bumming me out.

Who played Rise of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted 4 and is like "ugggh we need more power sooner this suuuuck!" ?

The consoles are severely under-powered. I wouldnt have minded to stick to one HW had they been more powerful to begin with. The xbox especially. But to stick to this under performing console for another 3-4 years? No thanks.

If you think MS (or anyone for that matter) can R&D and release a system in a year and a half, you're severely underestimating the complexity of this stuff.

Guaranteed this has been worked on for years. I'm certain both Sony and MS have been thinking about and working on these concepts for a while.

yeah for sure, but having some neo info out there right now gives them a lot of time to react where they can. Not everything is set in stone.

You "literally" threw a working console out of the window because there would be another one built a few years down the line to replace it?

SOR5

So basically what I am getting from this is they are extending the Xbox brand across more devices. Why would you buy an Xbox console when you can play Halo 6 on a PC with the Xbox dashboard? That's the point, they no longer give a shit. You still buy Halo 6 from the Xbox Store and play it on the Xbox platform. If you chose to have a different, more traditional console Xbox experience they have a device that offers that, the Slim/Scorpio.

I get what you mean, but I dont think its like theyre kicking back and couldnt give a damn what happens, theyre banking on the (very well evidenced) fact that people who want a console will buy a console and people who buy a PC will buy a PC with little overlapping interest.

bidguy

Banned

dude says spring 17

Did you literally throw your PS4 out the window?

Technically, I threw my PS4 threw inside a window to my friends son because I was like "here take it" and gave him all my games. I'll give the Xbox to someone else if they confirm it. Likely the same person, he has a brother.

I'll just go PC, collect, replay, and catch up on games I missed on by 14 other consoles. If they confirm it,

I have no interest in an anti-consumer strategy that also would fuck with devs getting shit out of the game console, while also expecting me to throw my money down a water fall, a strategy that also likely won't work.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So this year is Xbox One slim, Spring 2017 reveals Scorpio with new architecture to get rid of ESRAM and THEN start iterative console cycle when the new architecture is in place. So Scorpio will be a traditional new generation but after that it will be iterative.

I thought one of the main benefits of iterative consoles is that devs don't have to start from scratch each gen as the systems will be constantly evolving rather stop/start seven year gen cycles.

You have more powerful hardware with new dev kits, what do you mean "not from scratch' the only thing they don't have to worry about is architecture (probably) but that still means they have to start over, adjust for the new version, use the new tools, etc.

Technically, I threw my PS4 threw inside a window to my friends son because I was like "here take it" and gave him all my games. I'll give the Xbox to someone else if they confirm it. Likely the same person, he has a brother.

I'll just go PC, collect, replay, and catch up on games I missed on by 14 other consoles. If they confirm it,

I have no interest in an anti-consumer strategy that also would fuck with devs getting shit out of the game console, while also expecting me to throw my money down a water fall, a strategy that also likely won't work.

Why did you lie to us? This trust can never be rebuilt.

Papacheeks

Banned

Who played Rise of the Tomb Raider or Uncharted 4 and is like "ugggh we need more power sooner this suuuuck!" ?

Not me that's for sure,and not some of the people on youtube. Uncharted 4 is mind blowingly good IMHO. Ratchet and clank was fantastic.

I'm ready for this fall, and looks at these games, I dont see myself saying " this is weak, I need more power".

No one asked for these consoles not even developers did. It's one thing if when they were building these they went with weak CPU's and GPU's but wanted to make them more profitable than they have in the past. You can't have your cake and eat it too. This move to me is them wanting higher profit margins on hardware regardless of the possible negative long term effects this can have on the gaming industry.

jblank83

they already do with handhelds

3ds<New 3ds
Ds<Dsi

Nintendo's handheld strategy has used revisions as luxury upgrades towards the end of a product's lifecycle to drive some sales. They've never really been product replacements. Yes, you get Xenoblade 3DS or DSiware exclusives, but the vast majority of the games are still made for the base platform.

This new hardware from Microsoft and Sony seems aimed at a phase out approach, similar to mobile, where once they attain a critical mass they'll drop support for the old hardware. Then they'll introduce Xbox 2.0 and wait for that to attain critical mass as well, whether that takes 2 years, 3 years, or 4. Maybe I'm wrong but that's my worry.

gamz

This. I always find it funny that people think these things are so easy to just throw together. When a company release a product they are already R&D'ing generations down the line.

Top Bottom