• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's new, old editor sets out direction for the site (sort of)

Vaelka

'' fearless writing, criticism, and reporting ''

Yeah, because just perpetuating the circlejerk politics is very fearless.
I am not a conservative, I think most conservatives in the US are pieces of shit.
But I am not a fucking moron, if ya wanna talk about '' fearless '' then being politically correct and repeating everything your friends are saying is not fearless.

Harts316

I always thought that people in games journalism had to settle for their position in the larger journalism community. All of these people probably went to college and majored in journalism with a fantasy of being a Pulitzer Prize winning writer for the New York Times. In reality, they graduated with a degree that is pretty common and have amassed a crushing amount of student debt. I’m sure the last thing they imagined was ending up covering video games. It’s probably one notch above covering pro wrestling in the journo hierarchy. No wonder they are miserable and show resentment to their audience. It also explains why they always try to shoehorn non gaming stuff into their coverage. They are so desperate to do anything other than write about games.

Last edited:

dtremblay

They are the epitome of what ideologically possessed is.

Of course people who have the same backwards crazy political ideas are going to defend them and their agenda.
i'm going to be genuinely honest, i don't know who you're calling ideologically possessed or what agenda you're referring to. no judgment, but i think it's fair to say both sides of the culture war see the other that way.

Jon Neu

Banned
i'm going to be genuinely honest, i don't know who you're calling ideologically possessed or what agenda you're referring to.

tenor.gif

Reallink

Usually when companies close down, I have concern for the workers and hope they get a job elsewhere. Usually. Not in this case. The mega-woke infested an industry. Tried taking it over. Failed.

I'm for inclusivity, but when u aim for 1-5% of the population and tell the other 95% they are wrong or bad, it won't be financially sustainable.

It's more like 30-40%, a majority of liberals and progressives genuinely support and enjoy reading that kind of stuff. There are more than enough of them to keep a blog style site running with a few writers. If they go under, it will be because Zoomers and the youngest Millennials simply don't read or follow "legacy" games media. Those generations get their gaming news from the front page of Twitch or Youtube, not Kotaku et. al.

Last edited:

BigBooper

How would whoever controls the pocketbook of that company not read that and immediately replace her? She's signaling that they aren't going to change despite circling the drain.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Video games are consumer products made for certain target audiences who are willing to pay for them.

Nothing is more idiotic than this notion that "expanding video games to all demographics" is somehow an intrinsic good. Who cares? It's one entertainment medium. There is zero human benefit to the goal of making everyone play games, or loosening the ties between a certain male demographic and this particular set of consumer products. Again, who the hell cares?

Midwits like her have taken what is solely a corporate / shareholder goal (expand the customer base) and twisted it into some kind of high ethical demand. It's not; companies only do this shit when they desire a wider base of consumers to make easier profits, which unfortunately also means more mediocre / lowest common denominator popcorn trash when it tries to please everyone.

Quite frankly, mediums and products are best when they become more and more appealing to their enthusiasts and to the specific demographics and desires of those enthusiasts, and don't give a damn about chasing a larger customer base under the pretense of some kind of nonsensical diversity.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Hernandez is the new Editor In Chief? I guess it was inevitable, but sad to know that such a miserable record could be rewarded in this world.

sigmaZ

Holy shit Patricia Hernandez is the editor in chief?Just when you think that place can't get any worse. When Crescente was in charge it was a decent site, then under Totilo it started to drop and when he left it went to complete shit.

I remember reading a few reviews by Patricia and she would always talk about how she was raped, even though that was completely irrelevant to the game she was reviewing. She always brought everything back to that. I'm sorry that happened to her but it's not what I'm looking for in a review.
What I liked: Fresh and innovative game mechanics
Gorgeous visuals
A breathtaking soundtrack

What I hated: Getting raped by my father

3/10

Mercador

What's the issue with Kotaku ?

Edit: nevermind, I read the whole thing. I'm not a fan of their position, I prefer places where every point of view can be discussed. I don't think it's the only media stucked in the woke spiral.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I can say this - could Kotaku come up with such a feature as the Cradle from Thief 3 published in PC Gamer? The answer is no - to complex, doesn't hint at all on the identity politics and 'inclusion' that seems to be all the rage nowadays. Which is a shame since I think that pandering to a very small minority they are leaving a lot of money on the table from people that just want great game journalism.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I would describe the communal social illness of the 2010s-2021 as the 'hyper-reactionary' era. The more outraged, the more absurd, the more righteous the anger, and the more negative the stories, the better. It has often been the social media equivalent to the salem witch trials; the enjoyment of watching people fall from various social standings and careers.

Kotaku, in my eyes, is permanently marred by that association.

UnNamed

Banned
“Marginalised identities”

Is that a real thing?
Yes, for example two of my 7 personalities are marginalized by the other five.

Fuck this shit

No fuck you

I just don't feel safe

Bring your big black ass out of here

Please calm ok?

Shut up and go back to the kitchen.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The idea that every human activity and creation is supposed to revolve around real life problems is exhausting as fuck.

When I watch a movie or a video game I want to relax or unwind not to be preached by holier than thou types.

Imagine how sh*t their lives must be, constantly writing about negative made up bullshit. Feel sorry for them.

But I'm sure the reeeeesetera crowd will still visit their dying site.

Lupingosei

Banned
I want to move away from treating gaming like a product or industry, instead examining them more as microcosms for the human condition.

That must be the stupidest thing anybody ever wrote ever. How can you not laugh somebody out of the room who writes shit like this?

EDMIX

That must be the stupidest thing anybody ever wrote ever. How can you not laugh somebody out of the room who writes shit like this?

I mean, I see what they mean. Gaming being art, humans make it and what they believe, feel, their culture etc can effect a game, at least an independent game (we talk about this shit all the time on here mind you with folks out here fucking measuring chins and shit lol)

So they could be on to something.....ima still laugh at the comment doe lol

I think the idea can be explored, maybe not from Kotaku though lol, the reputation would hurt anything meaningful.

Marcus Aurelius Marcus Aurelius lol I mean sure, but this site just as much keeps them getting paid. They so much as cough and threads on here doing pages lol

They literally live in folks minds on here rent free....

Last edited:
I mean, I see what they mean. Gaming being art, humans make it and what they believe, feel, their culture etc can effect a game, at least an independent game (we talk about this shit all the time on here mind you with folks out here fucking measuring chins and shit lol)

I think the idea can be explored, maybe not from Kotaku though lol, the reputation would hurt anything meaningful.

Marcus Aurelius Marcus Aurelius lol I mean sure, but this site just as much keeps them getting paid. They so much as cough and threads on here doing pages lol

They literally live in folks minds on here rent free....
As long as people talke about it here and not directly visit their site and get traffic they aren't getting money.

And of course they "live rent free" here when they say retarded, controversial sh*t people want to discuss it.

Lupingosei

Banned

Games are entertainment, they can be art, but they are entertainment in the first place.

If you cannot cope with the fact, that you are working in the entertainment industry that is your problem. But don’t drag other people into your existential crisis.

People also went to concerts to be entertained. Even Mozart saw himself as an entertainer. It was very sophisticated entertainment, but still entertainment. Some of it for the aristocracy and other for the common folk.

I know they want their darling independent game about depression or loneliness to best the most successful thing ever. The world plays Genshin Impact and not Sea of Solitude. If you cannot cope with reality that you may have to write about an action rpg with cute anime girls in it, no wall of words will help you to change that.

EDMIX

As long as people talke about it here and not directly visit their site and get traffic they aren't getting money.

And of course they "live rent free" here when they say retarded, controversial sh*t people want to discuss it.

The fact that they still exist shows someone is very much visiting that site to look this stuff up (looks up site to read article) lol

So I'm sure some avoid it and still talk about the site, but clearly that isn't doing much if they are still saying this shit and its getting them great results.

If someone hated you and all the shit you said kept making you more and more money ,would you seriously stop?

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I would describe the communal social illness of the 2010s-2021 as the 'hyper-reactionary' era. The more outraged, the more absurd, the more righteous the anger, and the more negative the stories, the better. It has often been the social media equivalent to the salem witch trials; the enjoyment of watching people fall from various social standings and careers.

Kotaku, in my eyes, is permanently marred by that association.
Which is why if you value your psychological well being you stay the fuck away from social media.

The fact that they still exist shows someone is very much visiting that site to look this stuff up (looks up site to read article) lol

So I'm sure some avoid it and still talk about the site, but clearly that isn't doing much if they are still saying this shit and its getting them great results.

If someone hated you and all the shit you said kept making you more and more money ,would you seriously stop?
Sadly we don't know where their traffic is still coming from. (besides the reeeetard crowd)

GuinGuin

Banned
The reason unreleased games get the most press is because we can't yet test them and judge them ourselves. Once a game is released wtf do I really care what some "gaming journalist" thinks of it?

EDMIX

Games are entertainment, they can be art, but they are entertainment in the first place.

Yet...they can still be art, thus being entertaining doesn't negate that, even if its purpose was for entertainment.

If you cannot cope with the fact,

that is your problem. But don’t drag other people into your existential crisis.

If you cannot cope with reality

no wall of words will help you to change that.

My god.

Sir...I'm agreeing with you that its funny as hell that someone stated that, as funny as the comment is, they have a valid point that it can be seen that way, the thing you are saying isn't an either or....

So you can enjoy a game and be entertained and someone can look at it as art and dissect it and discuses it or view it as some human condition type thing based on the people that created it etc Some people watch films that way, doesn't mean you can't watch a film for fun bud, just means someone else can watch it and critique more like an art piece if they feel just.

That is not a fucking debate if its entertainment or not, its a both type of situation...

Lupingosei

Banned
That is not a fucking debate if its entertainment or not, its a both type of situation...
No, it is, because that is exactly the problem of modern games journalism and of stupid people. If there are cute anime girls/boys/women/men in Genshin Impact it is entertaining to look at beautiful protagonists.

But for morons this means, all gamers see women only as objects and men as some kind of power fantasy.

Of you are overanalyzing everything because of your very narrow lens, everything is racist, misogynist or problematic. And that is why modern games journalism is the shitshow it is.

And nothing works anymore, even things we consider as art today. I mean look at all those nude paintings or statues. So much objectification and and so many power fantasies.

Michelangelo%27s_David_2015.jpg

Look at this male power fantasy, this is a complete unrealistic body image and it opresses other body types.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Yeah no sh*t an english site gets most of their traffic from english speaking territories.

What we don't know is what type of people visit.

I see what you mean, like we don't have numbers on which site is giving em the referrals, like youtube, reeeee, this site etc

Regardless, someone giving it to them and they know this type of stuff triggers people and sadly many bite the bait (goes on site to see article lol) jk

I mean, we have fucking threads on here about them a lot so it seems to be working. For all you know, they are trolling and simply saying shit they KNOW will trigger people (which now days could be anything)

I'd do the same shit if it was me tbh.

Be like "Today in gaming, how much guys should be in a game and could a limit be forced to equal the balance?"

mgid:ao:image:mtv.com:81050

waits for clicks to come in

EDMIX

No, it is, because that is exactly the problem
goes on rant and never actually answers how they can't be considered both...
But for morons this means, all gamers see women only as objects and men as some kind of power fantasy.
So....we just forcing all arguments to strawman?
Of you are overanalyzing everything because of your very narrow lens, everything is racist, misogynist or problematic.
So...basically you are making up a whole ass argument that wasn't made by me?

Here is that ignore list man. I don't see what hurt you and why one would get upset or triggered over this, you telling me you going to put me in jail or arrest me if i analyze a game or film or book or? smh. I mean shit, using that logic, why are you even on this site? Is it not to discuss games? That literally is part of art in terms of critique, judging and discussing.

ok lup lol.

k

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
I don't see what hurt you and why one would get upset or triggered over this, you telling me you going to put me in jail or arrest me if i analyze a game or film or book or? smh.
No, I try to tell you that you cannot apply the things you learned gender studies / sociology or something else to a movie like Terminator. This movie is not a rape allegory or how the machine made by man is trying to enslave and kill women. It is a action movie about robot from the future.

That is the problem. Games are entertainment, not some artwork about the human condition. If I fire a virtual weapon at a virtual demon I have no psychological issue, i don't want to fight my inner demons. I just want to have a good time.

I played FFX for the story and for fun and no I did not have my sexual awakening while playing that game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom