• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's Superannuation: The Elder Scrolls Online has cost $200 million

bj00rn_

Banned
Even as a big fan of the Elder Scrolls series with hundreds of hours in them I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.. I might be completely wrong but this digression has disaster written all over it.

Mandoric

Banned
Sure, but ONE month worth if subs makes this profitable.

You're assuming it will push 7 mil for an online game, when history shows FF dropping from 2.5m in the previous SP game to ~300k purchases to ~100k subs (both Japan-only), 6.5mil to ~15k! (14 1.0), and 6.5mil to ~1m (14 2.0). SWToR also peaked at around 1.5m subs.

If this is as bad as it sounds in all respects, 100k paying will be a tough target. If there's a saving grace of exceptional raiding or PvP that wasn't in the beta, maybe 250k.

Edit:
Not one of these tittles have sold over 10 million copies. The Elder Scroll does. The Elder Scroll name hold much more weight than all of these tittles that you named. PC gamers will eat it up. Console gamers will also add a good chunk of the player base.

FFXI came out when new FFs were selling 8-10 million worldwide, and while DQ peaks around 5 it sells 5 million to a population of 125m, one copy per 25 people - not 10m to a population of around 1 billion, one copy per 100 people.

kswiston

It hasn't? Well, it seems that big flops are easy to forget. I hope we can be as adept at forgetting TESOnline as we were at forgetting Redguard.

I am very good at forgetting Battlespire, let me tell you.

But those are not "real" TES series entries, right? Just like TESOnline.

While I don't think that ESO will be a big hit, Reguard is over 15 years old and hardly relevant. The franchise is like 20x bigger now than it was in the mid-late 90s.

Well, hopefully they spent some of that cash on end-game content or it'll be another early exit for most players just like TOR.

I feel like SWTOR suffered from a lack of knowing its potential audience. Traditional MMO gamers went in, spacebar'd all the dialogue, and raced towards the nonexistent endgame. But that wasn't the focus. It's obvious they expected people to start another character and experience another story, and the Legacy system is a big pointer to that. But the game ran like shit on casual rigs so was never going to capture that audience.

You can run WoW fine on a Surface Pro. MMO developers need to realise that is why WoW has so many subscribers. There aren't 8 million people raiding for leet drops.

While I don't think that ESO will be a big hit, Reguard is over 15 years old and hardly relevant. The franchise is like 20x bigger now than it was in the mid-late 90s.

Absolutely. But that doesn't guarantee any sales - because TES has developed itself into delivering a very specific gamplay experience. Redguard and Battlespire were experiments, and the MMO is also an experiment, and doesn't follow the usual TES formula. Different experience, different target market.

My beta experience tells me that the TES MMO formula is "suck, and they'll come". Which sounds like an experiment of a new kind.

Mandoric

Banned
I feel like SWTOR suffered from a lack of knowing its potential audience. Traditional MMO gamers went in, spacebar'd all the dialogue, and raced towards the nonexistent endgame. But that wasn't the focus. It's obvious they expected people to start another character and experience another story, and the Legacy system is a big pointer to that. But the game ran like shit on casual rigs so was never going to capture that audience.

You can run WoW fine on a Surface Pro. MMO developers need to realise that is why WoW has so many subscribers. There aren't 8 million people raiding for leet drops.

The Legacy system also wasn't really in until half a year or so after launch. Oops.

ref

Ouch. That's horrible, this game is going to flop big time. I'm certain it will be free-to-play shortly after release, quicker than SWTOR...

Played the beta, in my opinion game is pretty horrible in all aspects.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Absolutely. But that doesn't guarantee any sales - because TES has developed itself into delivering a very specific gamplay experience. Redguard and Battlespire were experiments, and the MMO is also an experiment, and doesn't follow the usual TES formula. Different experience, different target market.

My beta experience tells me that the TES MMO formula is "suck, and they'll come". Which sounds like an experiment of a new kind.

Their "formula" was copy WoW but dress it up like Skyrim, because apparently that's the only Elder Scrolls that matters anymore.

Too bad the failed terribly on both fronts.

To have any chance of success, new MMOs need to look at Wow, but instead of chasing after its playerbase, realize that they will never get WoW players, and instead make a concentrated attempt to be the opposite of WoW, in order to grab everyone else.

F2P
The Sandbox promises of EverQuest Next
Action combat like TERA or Neverwinter
Changes in traditional fetch quest until whatever level, then raids/PvP over and over until the next update structure

Like in most cases, making a *thing*-killer that attempts to have everything that *thing* has, but with a single subjective "advantage" over it (in this case the TES liscense) is bad business.

Their "formula" was copy WoW but dress it up like Skyrim, because apparently that's the only Elder Scrolls that matters anymore.

Too bad the failed terribly on both fronts.

I agree with you completely.

.... wait, i'm not supposed to say stuff like that on the internet, right?

Jac_Solar

Oh dear.

Forgive my ignorance as I haven't played an mmo before, but what exactly is it about that genre that requires such large budgets and dev cycles? I mean I know you have to make a lot of content, but skyrim had hundreds of hours of content and that didn't cost $200m.

Skyrim cost $90 million, and needed a world to support 1 player. Besides the infrastructure necessary, an MMO needs a world and content that can support several hundred, or even thousands of players playing at once, for several months (Upon release.).

However, MMO's don't need voice acting, cutscenes or any of the Hollywood stuff that probably costs a lot of money. The majority of the content and quests are very generic. The mechanics and interaction are very limited; you don't really interact with the gameworld (Hotkey combat type of thing.).

Even so, an MMO needs thousands of quests, items, NPC's, dialogue, etc.

On the topic, no one asked for an Elder Scrolls MMO. The kind of exploration and world design that is a huge part of the Elder Scrolls franchise can't be translated to an MMO, or atleast not the "World of Warcraft" theme parkish worlds.

People did want a multiplayer or co-op Elder Scrolls, though. Why didn't they just make something like that? For example, they could have released a very basic Skyrim or Elder Scrolls game with multiplayer/co-op (With far fewer functions to make the multiplayer and co-op aspect possible.). Sort of like an "Elder Scrolls Multiplayer Kit" with modding capabilities - and let people make their own gameworlds and adventures for the multiplayer.

Subitai

Yeah, everyone forgets that WoW started off w/ all kind of problems, and wasn't nearly the completed game it became before the first expansion pack. Hardcore Blizzard fans and Everquest defectors kept it going while developers had time to build and fix. I don't think that can ever be recreated. Now everyone expects a near Burning Legion size MMO out the gates, which really isn't possible.

I think the right way to go with an existing IP is the way Guild Wars 1/2 went. They had a more limited scope with more frequent updates that could still build and improve with a smaller population. Not a true MMO though, but it is a way to reliably not lose money off the IP.

C'mon guys, $200mil budget for a game that is on a monthly pay to play system.. And also no free to play games on market right now is better than this game. What could go wrong?? I really feel we gamers see a great value in this game and we will be lining up come launch day.

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

Month two, they make $105 million with no additional work, just on subs.

That's enough.

This isnt selling 7m. Ever.

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $45 revenue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

That's enough.
lol what is this guys

Mandoric

Banned
To have any chance of success, new MMOs need to look at Wow, but instead of chasing after its playerbase, realize that they will never get WoW players, and instead make a concentrated attempt to be the opposite of WoW, in order to grab everyone else.

F2P
The Sandbox promises of EverQuest Next
Action combat like TERA or Neverwinter
Changes in traditional fetch quest until whatever level, then raids/PvP over and over until the next update structure

Like in most cases, making a *thing*-killer that attempts to have everything that *thing* has, but with a single subjective "advantage" over it (in this case the TES liscense) is bad business.

I don't think that's necessarily true. FF14 2.0 seems to be ticking along fine at this point, and it's a very "WoW, but with marketing in Japan, and a Final Fantasy paintjob" title.

It IS important that the advantage be a pretty good one (existing fanbase in a major region no competitors touch), and rumors aside 2.0 was almost definitely a lot cheaper to make than this. (Staffing of 500-700 for 2 years is "everyone we can spare" for S-E but a normal Assassin's Creed sequel in the big picture, and Japanese dev salaries are lower than American; plus the staff numbers include engine development)

Hahahahaha at this game selling even 3 million let alone 7 million. Even if it did magically sell that much Bethesda doesn't get anywhere near the full 60 dollars back and people expect any MMO to sustain it's userbase when we've seen time and time again that it doesn't work. People said the exact same thing about TORtanic and no brand does not sell MMOs alone.

dmr87

MMOs in a nutchell that isn't WoW, sub based.

1. Successful launch (sales/interest wise), 30 days included with purchase.

2. After the 30 included days people start dropping out if the game isn't good enough, which is most likely the case. Something doesn't work or not enough end-game content for the real enthusiasts.

3. Less and less people on the servers, merging needed.

4. F2P or bust.

I don't think that's necessarily true. FF14 2.0 seems to be ticking along fine at this point, and it's a very "WoW, but with marketing in Japan, and a Final Fantasy paintjob" title.

It IS important that the advantage be a pretty good one (existing fanbase in a major region no competitors touch), and rumors aside 2.0 was almost definitely a lot cheaper to make than this. (Staffing of 500-700 for 2 years is "everyone we can spare" for S-E but a normal Assassin's Creed sequel in the big picture, and Japanese dev salaries are lower than American; plus the staff numbers include engine development)

The difference is that that's the second attempt of the MMO. FFXIV already went through the new MMO release of being trampled by older games that had way more content. I don't think I've ever seen an MMO bomb so hard like FFXIV and then for the company to say alright free sub until the re-launch. I wonder how much money they've already spent on the whole development of FFXIV. FFXIV has been worked on since 2005. Breaking even on all the cost since 2005 probably isn't even a priorty anymore. It's already a sunk cost and now they just want a steady flow of income. I don't see many companies being willing to hemorrhage more money on fixing something that had already been eating so much money for over half a decade.It'll be hard to convince investors that it was worth pursuing something that might be profitable in a decade rather than putting that money somewhere else.

Marc

NUMBERS

If they sell 7million (skyrim sold 10 in the first month) units with $4venue (consumer paying 60) a pop, they will have made a $115 million profit.

That's enough.

Now throw in the marketing budget, server costs, support costs, content production... it could get messy. I doubt this sells as well as it is not a single player game, it drives away it's usual consumers like myself. We will see I guess, not even sure what I want to happen. Fail but not so they go out of business but swear off the online market everyone is chasing.

I hate mmo's, ruined kotor3, warcraft and now likely elder scrolls games for me. They could have made 3-4 great games instead of this single one.

Artorias

Banned
If Skyrim can be as successful as it was, I think Bethesda can sell pretty much anything.

Subs after the first month are a different story.

Mandoric

Banned
The difference is that that's the second attempt of the MMO. FFXIV already went through the new MMO release of being trampled by older games that had way more content. I don't think I've ever seen an MMO bomb so hard like FFXIV and then for the company to say alright free sub until the re-launch. I wonder how much money they've already spent on the whole development of FFXIV. FFXIV has been worked on since 2005. Breaking even on all the cost since 2005 probably isn't even a priorty anymore. It's already a sunk cost and now they just want a steady flow of income. I don't see many companies being willing to hemorrhage more money on fixing something that had already been eating so much money for over half a decade. It'll be hard to convince investors that it was worth pursuing something that might be profitable in a decade rather than putting that money somewhere else.

The problem with that logic is that 1.0 very much WASN'T a WoW-killer. More like a 3D animu Ultima Online-killer shoved out with fatal client bugs and half the planned quests in order to beat Cataclysm to shelves.

There's also little enough content carryover between 1.0 and 2.0 that it's really best to consider the 2.0 project a separate game.

I haven't heard anyone who beta tested it give it much praise. I was invited and I chose to do other things that weekend so I didn't form my own opinion. I'm just of the mindset that I probably won't be getting this game anyway because of the subscription fees.

I wouldn't mind if bethesda does come out behind in this venture cause it'll probably force them to sell off some of their IPs like fallout. Not that I don't like fallout 3 or NV, I still rather see that valuable franchise out of bethesda's hands.

Shouldn't we wait for some kind of confirmation before we just assume it really cost $200 million? I thought the bloated budget of SWTOR was mostly because they voiced every line in the game.

The Legacy system also wasn't really in until half a year or so after launch. Oops.

Legacy system was put in 4 months after launch

Shouldn't we wait for some kind of confirmation before we just assume it really cost $200 million? I thought the bloated budget of SWTOR was mostly because they voiced every line in the game.

ESO features a ton of voice acting too.

The licensing likely took a big chunk of TOR too, and it was really a huge game despite what some folks like to say, since they likely never experienced a fraction of it. Each class had a bunch of exclusive content, each of the 8 storylines had about 15-20 hours of exclusive content (multiple SP games worth of content). All the cutscenes and voice acting and multiple writing teams surely added up.

You put way too much stock in brand.

Skyrim only got to where it is because of how hyped up it was by gamers and the gaming press. It turned out to be a very enjoyable game for most people, which further helped spread word of mouth.

This game is awful. It has no hype, and just about anyone who plays it will run away screaming within the first couple of hours and tell their friends to stay the fuck away. They may manage to trick a couple million into buying the box at launch, but you're crazy if you think it will even come close to approaching Skyrim numbers.

The issue is they don´t need Skyrim numbers. They need 500k-1 million subscribers. Do you think TES can´t pull that off. Besides if the boxes sell million they will recoup their money. Besides my issue here is that people rushing to calling it a bomba.

Think i'll keep plugging away at trying to understand Warframe rather than pay for ESO, £40 plus a sub monthly is just not appealing whatsoever, BUT, If it turns out good then further down the line if it go's FTP then i may give it a whirl.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I have two friends who stuck out FF14 1.0 for almost a year (?) and who LOVE Elder Scrolls, and they said ESO beta was maybe the worst online game/mmo they've ever played. And these are the same guys that I actually got around 500 hours of enjoyment out of Phantasy Star Universe with. So yeah.

Uhm... wow...

ibhAPOBGvAUkwD.jpg

Gannd

Banned
It will be F2P by the end of the year. I feel bad because of bunch of my friends from when I worked on MMOs got a job at Zenimax and I fear for them.

NUMBERS

That's enough.

Major issue with that - MMOs based on popular offline franchises never ever sell anywhere close to their online counterparts. Hell, FFXIV 2.0 sold 1.5m and that was ABOVE EXPECTATIONS. Usually mainline FFs do 6-7m (you could argue brand damage factors into this but...well..go look up FFX vs FFXI. :p.)

You can probably assume 1-2m box sales at most before general hype is factored in (and ..um is there any hype for this?)

I think statements like "This Year's TOR" hit the mark.

The issue is they don´t need Skyrim numbers. They need 500k-1 million subscribers. Do you think TES can´t pull that off. Besides if the boxes sell million they will recoup their money. Besides my issue here is that people rushing to calling it a bomba.

For how long?

Also I don't think people realize that if you spend 200 million dollars on something your ultimate goal is not to just make that money back. You want a huge revenue stream. Otherwise the opportunity cost blown on this game is much higher than 200 million dollars.

Top Bottom