• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOTOR II is FINALLY complete!

Seda

I remember it took me forever to learn that you could unlock the party member quest and dialogue tree paths with negative influence as well. I remember trying compromise on my early playthoughs and be goody-goody with handmaiden, a dick for GOTO, etc. Just make sure you get mostly "+"'s OR "-"'s and you should unlock those paths.

Yup.

H3xum

Is there an end-all-be-all mod for the orig KotoR?

If so, would someone kindly point me to it?

Picked it up on Steam and am planning on playing it again soon

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I got KOTR 1 during the Steam sale, and I'd like to grab 2 as well. If this is Star Wars without the black-and-white (or blue and red) morality from Lucas, then that's exciting to hear.

Levyne

Banned
If this is Star Wars without the black-and-white (or blue and red) morality from Lucas, then that's exciting to hear.

Very very very much so. I'm still not 100% sure of the "alignment" of characters like Kreia and Revan after playing through several times. It really redefines the previously crystal-clear archetype of "sith"

Things are not so simple in KotOR II. And that's why Lucas hated it.

Lucas likely has no idea what KOTOR2 is. Don't know where anyone gets this notion that he somehow personally has something against the game when it really was just Bioware.

Very very very much so. I'm still not 100% sure of the "alignment" of characters like Kreia and Revan after playing through several times. It really redefines the previously crystal-clear archetype of "sith"

No it doesn't, the Sith in KOTOR 2 are just as evil as any other Sith portrayed before. Just because they have good intentions, does not excuse mass murder and the countless evils they did. Also Darth Sion and Nihilis were some of the most straight forward Sith in the universe with serious lack of depth. Darth Traya is the only one that had any interesting motives

And Jedi are self-righteous assholes.

Herla

Lucas likely has no idea what KOTOR2 is. Don't know where anyone gets this notion that he somehow personally has something against the game when it really was just Bioware.

I was (mostly) referring to the publisher. Bioware sure did a number on the game's story, but Lucas Arts refused to let Obsidian work on patches and removed the game from digital shelves (years ago you could buy it on services like Direct2Drive, then it magically disappeared).

I was (mostly) referring to the publisher. Bioware sure did a number on the game's story, but Lucas Arts refused to let Obsidian work on patches and removed the game from digital shelves (years ago you could buy it on services like Direct2Drive, then it magically disappeared).

Think it's mostly just conspiracy theory stuff, since the events in KOTOR2 were acknowledged and published during this time in various books, atlas, RPG source material, etc. KOTOR2 is finally getting released again too.

Sober

Think it's mostly just conspiracy theory stuff, since the events in KOTOR2 were acknowledged and published during this time in various books, atlas, RPG source material, etc. KOTOR2 is finally getting released again too.
Either way, especially since the restoration mod is complete, people should give this a playthrough. It's a very non-prototypical Star Wars Star Wars story.

The mod shouldn't interfere with other item mods (like saber mods, etc.) right?

Herla

Conspiracy theory or not, Obsidian offering to fix the game and the complete disappearance of it from digital stores are facts. This re-release is probably just a quick cash-grab to salvage that bit of TOR popularity that remains.

The mod shouldn't interfere with other item mods (like saber mods, etc.) right?

If I recall correctly there are a lot of mods that are not compatible, there should be a list somewhere on the official forum ( http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/4-tslrcm/ ). I remember encountering a game breaking bug with the 1.7 version while I was using some mods.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Curious and tempted to try and get this and play it... but I have so many other games I should be playing.

Mxrz

Never heard of Lucas hating Kotor 2, or even speaking about it or any of the KotoR stuff. He always seemed happen with his "G-level Canon!" setup and for the EU to do whatever as long as it makes money.

Kotor 2 didn't redefine Star Wars or anything. The same archtypes are still there. The usual setup isn't all that different. They just blurred the lines a little with one character, turned Revan into some kind of mythical figure, and gave all the companion characters some emotional baggage. I wouldn't call it bad---outside of glitches, poor maps, etc.---but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as KotoR. It didn't have that same 'wonder of Star Wars' that the original captured, and a lot of the EU stuff lacks

Not bad. But not some holy grail either. I wonder if this will help the ending make some sort of sense now. All I remember is
Jedi bad. Life is tough. Revan is tragic, but perfect. Multiple lightsabers. Credits.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Never heard of Lucas hating Kotor 2, or even speaking about it or any of the KotoR stuff. He always seemed happen with his "G-level Canon!" setup and for the EU to do whatever as long as it makes money.

Kotor 2 didn't redefine Star Wars or anything. The same archtypes are still there. The usual setup isn't all that different. They just blurred the lines a little with one character, turned Revan into some kind of mythical figure, and gave all the companion characters some emotional baggage. I wouldn't call it bad---outside of glitches, poor maps, etc.---but I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as KotoR. It lacked that same 'wonder of Star Wars' that the original captured, and a lot of the EU stuff lacks.

Not bad. But not some holy grail either.

Whoa now GAF, what gives?

YH1ze.png

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I guess I was thinking too much Kreia, Traya, and Revan and not enough Sion and Nihilus who are still pretty much archetypal sith..though still better written than Malak imo

Whoa now GAF, what gives?

Outside of Darth Traya, it's true. There was nothing special about the rest of the cast of characters, the whole thing pretty much made people go "whoa", was all due to Traya who was a much more interesting Sith than usual straight forward "evil"

Mxrz

Well. Take away Traya and what was all that different?

Villains? More one dimensional than Vadar. Companions? Take away their one defining emotional issue--that also defines their side quest, and what's left? The main character who's basically a walking "See, Jedi did something bad!" that was handled more clumisly than what was done in KotoR?

I'm not going to hate on the game, but treating it like its way more complex than most normal Star Wars stuff is a bit of a stretch. It wasn't just the gameplay elements that suffered from the schedule and release imo.

Villains? More one dimensional than Vadar. Companions? Take away their one defining emotional issue--that also defines their side quest, and what's left? The main character who's basically a walking "See, Jedi did something bad!" that was handled more clumisly than what was done in KotoR?

I'm not going to hate on the game, but treating it like its way more complex than most normal Star Wars stuff is a bit of a stretch. It wasn't just the gameplay elements that suffered from the schedule and release imo.

Yeah sure, the characters are good, but if you take their defining trait, they're not.

That sounds REALY dumb, you dont critisize a character because they cant exist without their defining trait, thats like critizing a car because it doesnt run without an engine.

That kind of deconstructing is disingenuous. You can shit on anything that way.
And it kind of totally glosses over the execution: you can have a fantastic character concept that ends up sucking because you have poor dialogue.

Regarding the main character, you're like totally ignoring everything that revolves around the Force in the game.

Herla

The main character who's basically a walking "See, Jedi did something bad!" that was handled more clumisly than what was done in KotoR?.

Except that's not the point at all?

And people treating Nihilus like he's (edit: or, better yet, it's) a common bad guy is depressing. You guys should play it again.

Regarding the main character, you're like totally ignoring everything that revolves around the Force in the game.

Which all comes out of the mouth of Darth Traya. The game as a whole did have more mature and adult dialogue than the first, but outside of the revelations or such made by Traya, it was pretty typical stuff without the PG sheen common in Star Wars. Dialogue was far less simplistic.

The concepts Traya makes are interesting but I think are highly flawed in their logic. It was something that should have been expanded upon as it could have made for some very interesting story telling that obviously got cut short as it didn't follow the simple tropes of a singular dark villain or super weapons.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Saw these in the Mass Effect ending thread (post by Tess3ract), figured they should fit here. not saying I agree with all of them.

I don't agree with any of it, with all the flak Bioware rightfully gets as of late I still think KOTOR trounces KOTOR 2 in every way

still, fun captions :)

Mxrz

Yes, and? How is that any different than any other Star Wars stuff? The stretch was made that KotoR 2 was somehow too complex for Star Wars and poor Mr. Lucas hated it. Then praise was center more on how shallow the rest of Star Wars is in comparison. I find that to be pretty silly.

There's nothing wrong with liking it, but shitting on the rest of Star Wars, when its the same basic routine, is a bit much.

I don't agree with any of it, with all the flak Bioware rightfully gets as of late I still think KOTOR trounces KOTOR 2 in every way

still, fun captions :)
Yeah, this is my view here too. You can easily flip that one around. HK47 is a pretty clear example. In KotoR there was a bit of subtly. In 2, he might as well just shouted "I'm the Loveable murderous droid back to increase sales!" and been done with it.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Outside of Darth Traya, it's true. There was nothing special about the rest of the cast of characters, the whole thing pretty much made people go "whoa", was all due to Traya who was a much more interesting Sith than usual straight forward "evil"

Yeah...Atton, GO-TO and Atrius werent multifaceted takes on standard star wars archtypes like the dashing rogue or the crime boss

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Yes, and? How is that any different than any other Star Wars stuff? The stretch was made that KotoR 2 was somehow too complex for Star Wars and poor Mr. Lucas hated it. Then praise was center more on how shallow the rest of Star Wars is in comparison. I find that to be pretty silly.

There's nothing wrong with liking it, but shitting on the rest of Star Wars, when its the same basic routine, is a bit much.

Yeah, this is my view here too. You can easily flip that one around. HK47 is a pretty clear example. In KotoR there was a bit of subtly. In 2, he might as well just shouted "I'm the Loveable murderous droid back to increase sales!" and been done with it.

Wait what? HK in KotOr one WAS the extremely unsubtle lovable murder bot that constantly asked if he could kill anyone slightly annoying. In 2 he was more about being a mouthpiece for Revan and discussing the part assassination plays in the grand scheme of the Republic.

WTF are you even on about?

Which all comes out of the mouth of Darth Traya. The game as a whole did have more mature and adult dialogue than the first, but outside of the revelations or such made by Traya, it was pretty typical stuff without the PG sheen common in Star Wars. Dialogue was far less simplistic.

The concepts Traya makes are interesting but I think are highly flawed in their logic. It was something that should have been expanded upon as it could have made for some very interesting story telling that obviously got cut short as it didn't follow the simple tropes of a singular dark villain or super weapons.
I agree with everything you wrote, my main contention with the line of thinking that discounting Traya, you're left with a mediocre game is that she's essentially a third person narrator, i.e. a huge narrative device (that might also be due to the way I played the game though). To be hyperbolic, that's like taking Watson out of Sherlock Holmes and complaining with the end result.

In that light, "The main character who's basically a walking "See, Jedi did something bad!" that was handled more clumisly than what was done in KotoR?" really doesn't match my experience of the game precisely because of her.

Sober

You mean when Traya/Kreia argues about the Force as a malevolent being? I suppose that is supposed to be flawed but she talks about it from her perspective, plus all the other things she tells you about; if I remember correctly she always says that the PC should come to his own conclusion on things even while telling you what she has to think about the Force, the Jedi/Sith, whatever.

Wait they did what!!! and the killed Revan.....

The Exile
dies several months or so after KOTOR2, she finds and rescues Revan from the hidden Sith Empire but is killed. Even though dead she helps keep Revan alive and to resist the Emperor which imprisons him for almost 300 years. Revan helped by the spirit of the Exile resist and influence the Emperor for all those years to keep the Empire from attacking the Republic that wouldn't be able to fight back, giving the Republic and Jedi time to rebuild itself. Shes still a blue ghosty in TOR. As for Revan, it appears hes dead but many believe hes still alive the way they handle his end. Wouldn't be surprised that in future content that they have Revan return

MechaX

Both Canderous are enjoyable though. Mercenary with cool stories is one of the few characters Bioware can make interesting every time.

They tried with Zaeed, but he comes off as Canderous if he had boring "Hey, I fought this mercenary and guess what, I stabbed him!" stories. But that's neither here nor there.

On the subject, I like his story in KOTOR I concerning
his Yuuzhan Vong or whatever encounter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
They tried with Zaeed, but he comes off as Canderous if he had boring "Hey, I fought this mercenary and guess what, I stabbed him!" stories. But that's neither here nor there.

On the subject, I like his story in KOTOR I concerning
his Yuuzhan Vong or whatever encounter.

I think you can forgive them when they made Wrex in the previous game.

HBroward

Wait they did what!!! and the killed
Revan

Well...
Revan isn't killed, he "forcefolds" away right as he is about to be defeated in the Imperial storyline, and he is going to be reappearing in the story eventually. As a matter of fact, HK-51's(upgraded models of HK-47) are being added to the game as a companion really soon, and that could be the beginning of Revan somehow reappearing in the story.

Well...
Revan isn't killed, he "forcefolds" away right as he is about to be defeated in the Imperial storyline, and he is going to be reappearing in the story eventually.

That is just fan speculation though about the technique used. I believe he will return though.

Top Bottom