• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOTOR-OVERRATED

Korranator

I kinda agree KOTOR is overrated, but it was still an must own title for the Xbox. A fun romp, but not all that. Genre redefine for a console game prehaps, but not on the PC.

BTW KOTOR>NWN

Korranator

Gattsu25 said:
Only if you're a Star Wars whore and you don't own any NWN expansion packs :) The original NWN is crap compared to the expansion packs (second exp. pack being the best)
I'm hardly a Star Wars whore. In fact KOTOR is the first Star Wars game I have ever purchased.

I played through the original NWN, and the 1st expanison. I have no desire to continue with the series, and have since traded in my Gold version copy.

MmmBeef

Korranator said:
A fun romp, but not all that. Genre redefine for a console game prehaps, but not on the PC.

That was my exact take on it as well. I imagine if all one was used to was console RPGs (which I find play so differently that they seem almost like a different genre), this would seem radically different.

"And why would Halo get so much attention if those games (Half-Life/Quake) were actually better? It wouldn't. Halo improved the genre"

Because Halo was bred in a time when video game marketing for consoles is EVERYWHERE. PC advertising is still pretty much limited to PC magazines and the internet. Hell, how many PC game television advertisements have YOU seen lately?

"You know I meant this generation"

When you say all other, I can't help but to assume you mean ALL OTHER :p

"No it hasn't. There weren't even dual stick controllers on the market for very long before Halo arrived. The FPS games that appeared on consoles prior to Halo all shared terrible control schemes."

Erm, Medal of Honor? Timesplitters?

"Uh no offense to Clancy fans, but those games don't have the weapon balancing that Halo has. If they did they'd be as popular as Halo is."

Quality doesn't mean sales, it's a sad, but true fact. Not to mention, how many of the mass majority who buy games really GIVES a shit about weapon balancing?

"You could be right, haven't played any of them and I hardly ever hear anything about those games. If people like them better than KOTOR I'd be surprised. I think KOTOR has stolen the attention of the genre."

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who's played those not think KOTOR was good, but paling in comparison.

"I think making the levels more difficult by adding new objectives to the harder difficulty levels was also a very original idea for the genre."

The original System Shock?

"And what about the AI? The AI is what made Halo such a fun gameplay experience compared to any other FPS games.

The AI wasn't revolutionary, it was evolutionary. Games have been progressively improving AI since...forever. And Unreal Tournament's bots were pretty slick.

"And what about loading level areas on the fly the way Halo did? I haven't seen many games before that or since then which have done that so well. It allowed for open areas far bigger than anything I'd seen in FPS games that came before Halo."

Tribes/Tribes 2? Halo's environments weren't particularly large.

Gattsu25

Banned
sorry was busy playing N (great game)

in regards to your little comment on my comment, System Shock 1 did all that before (2 years before)

---- said:
No it hasn't. There weren't even dual stick controllers on the market for very long before Halo arrived. The FPS games that appeared on consoles prior to Halo all shared terrible control schemes.

What. The. Fuck.

This is like arguing with a Goldeneye whore. Reinventing history and/or selectively ignoring other FPS.

Medal of Honor was probably the earliest game that I can remember that featured the "Halo" control scheme. It's not new and Halo didn't invent it, even if people call it "Halo control scheme" now.

Pachinko

See shadow you've gotta remember that only popular games "reinvent the wheel" so to speak. Even if there was a game that did a new thing 3 or 4 years prior to the popular one pulling it off. :p

cja

Took me 10 hours to get off Taris :| Did everything other than the one or two things that get you darkside points. Also have the excuse of being a complete n00b to Bioware games.

Enjoyed the 50 or so hours it took to play through but mainly because of the Star Wars fascia which just showed the strength of Lucas' work since nearly every character and event in the game was just a twist on the original work. The puzzles were mainly math stuff you're asked to do in middle school. The battle system was slick but hardly engrossing and it was turn-based, it did well to try and hide this but the game could have been played with pen, paper and die. That the uber-geek frat thought this thing goty is more a sad reflection on them than the enjoyable but hardly seminal game.

Being a fan of BioWare, KotOR was the biggest disappointment I ever had with a game. I think it's OK for people who's never played the true classics like Baldur's Gate and Planescape, but I ask: IS THERE ONE PERSON IN THE UNIVERSE WHO PLAYED BALDUR'S GATE 2: SHADOWS OF AMN AND FOUND KOTOR AT LEAST "FUN"?

Awful, ugly, claustrophobic, overrated game.

Zaptruder

Banned
Yes... played them all... and it wasn't too bad.

The biggest problem was the stilted and retarded dialogue...

it was too polar... either light or bad... or questioning. nothing subtle or witty.

You couldn't really play as anything other then a goody goody, a demented sadist or a bipolar manic depressive scizhoid.

It was very much simplified compared to the BIS/Biowaare games (where there were 9 different alignments and so, so many more dialogue choices).

Gattsu25

Banned
aye, KOTOR's ultra limited dark-light choices where the worst part of the game for me...i didn't fit in any of the extremes:

Light Side: you donate credits like they were crumbs, and go on quests
Middle Man: you simply ignore everyone asking for help
Dark Side: you kill people without any logic

that was it...no room to become your own “character”

Personally, I didn't like KOTOR at all. The battles sucked, the cut scenes were laughable, and the game just wasn't any fun. I'm tired of stiff PC character animations. It looks absolutely ridiculous. Why should I listen to man with robot animation that keeps making Elvis Presley faces?

As a game, I wasn't too into KotOR. What was impressive was the way the story unfolded and the amount of depth to the characters. You find out as much about them as you want to bother to look into.

I wasn't too fond of the gameplay. It was nice to see a game with decent sized "dungeons" after all the RPGs in the last several years that use straight paths or three little screens. I found the combat engine pretty dull and I really don't understand the praise that gets. I honestly just found myself bored running around in that game a good deal of the time.

The whole Dark/Light thing was overblown. If you want to be Dark Side, your only real choice was to kill everything. If you wanted to be good, you had to kiss everyone's ass. That's how it felt anyway. Plus
you're given a chance near the end to pretty much entirely reverse your side at the time.
What was the point? I don't feel it added much.

Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it overall, but I don't really think it's as great as my friends seem to. I might be a bit more amazed by it if I only played console RPGs in my lifetime.

Gattsu25

Banned
hehe...replaying it now and yeah...the graphics in general do bug me...being a total asshole to Carth though is a breath of fresh air

another random thing that bugs me about KOTOR (well...not the game itself but the fans) KOTOR fans say how it's battle system is better than any turn based battle system...are they aware that kotor IS turn-based?

Top Bottom