• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Analysis Kraken Vs ZLIB: 29% Smaller Game Sizes Losslessly, 297% Faster Decompression on PS5

ReBurn

Dec 6, 2008
SC USA
Where did you see that?
Probably that digital foundry weekly video where they show like 1 FPS better on one PS5 game with firmware 2.0 installed. They also said firmware fixed stuttering issues on Control for XSX but that's not on the list of talking points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

VargasPaPuM

Nov 2, 2017
I think you are fighting at best or trying to stir shit at worst over the wrong item. You are focusing on how fast the data decompressed with one algorithm vs another and I think you are trying to make it a the console war angle which feels quite odd.

That number you referenced compared zlib decompression vs kraken decompression, ask RAD Game Tools for their internal benchmarks. What matters for the consoles is the latency and throughout the two console makers were able to achieve and we have discussed over those two numbers ad nauseam. I do not think we need the n-th “console A cannot possibly be in any way not superior item by item to console B, so console B strengths must be overrated, faked, not usable, etc… so I can reconcile with the marketing that lead me to think console A was a monster that would have trounced console B and its non fixed clocks”.
The point this didn't give a big advantage. I have all consoles of this and previous generation and I don't see real world advantages. Just numbers on paper

• Empathy
Reactions: Panajev2001a

Dodkrake

Feb 28, 2020
But I thought tools were exclusive to another platform...
You see, an experienced engineer with a youtube degree, like some of the ones we see on this forum, will tell you that MS software solutions are better because software can be updated. Of course they ignore firmware updates for hardware, but who cares, right?

• Fire
Jun 1, 2016
A positive thing for sure, but the average seems to be around 1-3% in select games/RT scenarios. Firmware will of course continue to improve, contrary to the earlier 'sane' beliefs PS5 software isn't frozen in time.

But I thought tools were exclusive to another platform...

You see, an experienced engineer with a youtube degree, like some of the ones we see on this forum, will tell you that MS software solutions are better because software can be updated. Of course they ignore firmware updates for hardware, but who cares, right?
Pretty sure that's a thing you guys say people say but honestly no one is saying it.

Dodkrake

Feb 28, 2020
Pretty sure that's a thing you guys say people say but honestly no one is saying it.
Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. This was a big talking point during the lead up to the hardware reveals (and post them as well). I can't be arsed to go look for posts, so take my word if you want, or don't.

Jun 1, 2016
Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. This was a big talking point during the lead up to the hardware reveals (and post them as well). I can't be arsed to go look for posts, so take my word if you want, or don't.
Yes let's keep talking about the odd fanboy comment from over a year ago. I find half of most threads are about what people said years ago.

MaKTaiL

Jan 27, 2015
Brazil
30 Gb difference
Dj Khaled GIF by Music Choice