• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kratos's Son Possibly Revealed?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
i just cannot wait to slaughter some valkyries.

I'm actually curious if Kratos is going to be fighting the Gods directly or taking on the ice giants, Loki and the other monsters. Or he reverts to super asshole mode and just fights and kills everyone.

Was it confirmed whether Tyr was Kratos' biological son or adopted when Kratos met Tyr's mother?

I thought it was going to be the latter.

I think so.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06...e-me-care-about-the-series-for-the-first-time
"We've already told the story of The Hulk. We want to tell the story of Banner now," Barlog told me after I watched the demo, and honestly, that sentence has me so incredibly excited for this game. I love the idea of a post-Last of Us Kratos who still retains his core tenets and traits, but suddenly has to deal wit the fact that he now has his own flesh-and-blood beside him at all times.

LordKasual

Banned
This won't be God of War unless his Son is murdering innocents by the hundreds come endgame

Or Kratos can do it, i dont care i just wanna kill stuff

that ugly little hatchet he has though better not last more than an hour of gameplay

RexNovis

Banned
I actually think it's Kratos that is supposed to be Tyr and his son (if he is his son) is branded with his name as a sign of respect or as some sort of protection. Tyr after all is considered to be a Norse God of War and in the trailer we see how one of Kratos' arms is bound with chains as if to foreshadow something. Who is to say that upon entering this realm that Kratos wasn't given a new name by its inhabitants.

jayu26

This is why I love that trailer. Stuff like this keeps the interest alive for hardcore nerds like us at least.

Nice work here.

Man I wish I knew more about Norse mythology.

Hmmm that's pretty neat but I still think Kratos is Odin and the son is either Thor or Loki.

Loki because of Kratos' frost axe, perhaps he fought the frost giants and rescued the kid?

Thor because the kid shoots a lightning arrow in the demo, and Zeus is his grandfather.

Manuscript_Ullr.jpg

if the game featured kratos in this getup, i'd absolutely be in :) ...

Javin98

Banned
Detective GAF is in the house! Nice job, OP. Got me even more hyped for the game, really hoping it hits this year. And before someone quotes me and goes "LOL, 2018", keep in mind that the game was already fully playable from start to the end a few weeks ago.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Great investigation. I wish this game wasn't related to God of War.

I think its actually enhanced because of its previous connections to what was admittedly a one note franchise.

To see that expanded and put far more care into with this new story enhances the lore of it all the more i feel because its a way of showing that Kratos's previous story was fairly straight foward. He was a monster and in the end brought no happiness to anyone. Now its a different story.

I actually think it's Kratos that is supposed to be Tyr and his son (if he is his son) is branded with his name as a sign of respect or as some sort of protection. Tyr after all is considered to be a Norse God of War and in the trailer we see how one of Kratos' arms is bound with chains as if to foreshadow something. Who is to say that upon entering this realm that Kratos wasn't given a new name by its inhabitants.
That's my thought, as well.

Alternatively, it could also be like the original God of War, where Kratos is not a god but pledges his service to the god of war for whatever reason, since someone else posted that info where branding your weapon with Tyr's name would grant you victory.

Mifec

Can't wait to see the kid's arm snapped off if he is indeed Tyr just to enrage Kratos or something dumb like that.

Man Kratos is a shit char.

Razgreez

That's my thought, as well.

Alternatively, it could also be like the original God of War, where Kratos is not a god but pledges his service to the god of war for whatever reason, since someone else posted that info where branding your weapon with Tyr's name would grant you victory.

Kratos was always a demi-god though having always been a son of Zeus. So he may not have been a god but he was half way there

Kratos was always a demi-god though having always been a son of Zeus. So he may not have been a god but he was half way there
If I'm not mistaken, I think many of Zeus' demigod kids never really amounted to anything. So whether Kratos knew who his father was or not, he definitely didn't think he was an equal with the gods in GoW1 and its prequels. He is inordinately strong, though, for sure.

Also, one other reason I think Kratos is actually Tyr is the burn marks of the chains still on his arm. I think, instead of Fenrir biting off his son's arm and making him all mad-angry again, it would be more shocking if he willingly sacrifices his own arm to Fenrir to finally be rid of the chains, and that's why he's only wielding one single-handed axe instead of a weapon in each hand.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Can't wait to see the kid's arm snapped off if he is indeed Tyr just to enrage Kratos or something dumb like that.

Man Kratos is a shit char.

You seem to be under the impression that this god of war is aiming to be basically the same as the old games despite being the complete opposite in tone from what we've heard.

Mister Wolf

I hope Kratos dies in the prologue and we get a time skip with his son as an adult. I will pay full price for that.

Wasn't there some questions if Kratos was essentially Odin in this one? I'm interested to see how they integrate him into the mythology.

Anyway, really cool work.

Yes, there are talks about that. I just can't see Kratos becoming Odin in this game because I feel like there's bound to be a fight between him and Odin in the later games. Same with Thor.

Razgreez

If I'm not mistaken, I think many of Zeus' demigod kids never really amounted to anything. So whether Kratos knew who his father was or not, he definitely didn't think he was an equal with the gods in GoW1 and its prequels. He is inordinately strong, though, for sure.

Also, one other reason I think Kratos is actually Tyr is the burn marks of the chains still on his arm. I think, instead of Fenrir biting off his son's arm and making him all mad-angry again, it would be more shocking if he willingly sacrifices his own arm to Fenrir to finally be rid of the chains, and that's why he's only wielding one single-handed axe instead of a weapon in each hand.

If I'm not mistaken he no longer has the blades. After all if he did they would be the blades of exile and not those of chaos or, technically, athens as he lost/had those removed previously. The blades of exile, like those of Athena, could be discarded at will.

If I'm not mistaken he no longer has the blades. After all if he did they would be the blades of exile and not those of chaos or, technically, athens as he lost/had those removed previously. The blades of exile, like those of Athena, could be discarded at will.
Sorry. To clarify, I mean the burns from the Blades of Chaos (I don't think the other blades would have burnt him like that), as they are a vestigial reminder of who he was but no longer wants to be.

Or, we can go back to the old style, where he gets his arm bit and then pulls out Fenrir's throat.

Memento

Are we really going to get new info when the official gameplay in the PlayStation chanel reaches 15 million views? Because we are just 200k away from that.

BigEmil

Are we really going to get new info when the official gameplay in the PlayStation chanel reaches 15 million views? Because we are just 200k away from that.
The Hulk vs Kratos animation video uploaded today will help :p

I hope there's a time jump and the kid's powers develop, then you play as him.

well, the most obvious (and a bit cliche) thing to do is to let you grow attached to the kid for the whole game, Kratos do a heroic sacrifice and finally redeem himself, and you got time jump at the end with grown up kid taking the mantle of the new God of War (it's still the title of the series)

we'll play as the kid in the sequel.

I'll just predict right now:

They'll pull a Metal Gear Solid 2 on us: Let us play as the original character from the previous games, then BAM! Just an intro, you play as a young pleb for the rest of the game.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Dualshockers just posted an article calling all this bullshit. Can't link it obviously. Google 'Kratos Son Tyr'

Top Bottom