• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

What should my backlight be in a well lit room using sdr material? Before I'd leave it at 20 so I wouldn't need to keep changing it.

Turn on something SDR you want to watch/play.
Pause it.
Turn the backlight all the way down to 0.
Close your eyes for 30 seconds
Now, open your eyes and start moving the backlight setting up until the picture looks natural
Leave it! (Do NOT start bumping it up and then back down to do A-B comparisons because that will cause your eyes to readjust and you'll end up too high.)

carsar

Sharpness should only be on 50 when using PC mode. Otherwise set it between 0 - 20 depending on preference.
Correct. I have to notice -PC mode sharpeness looks different from other mods. I don't know why, but it doesn't make "noise", so I prefer 53-55 and picture looks even more clear.

giphy.gif

chaosaeon

Honestly I set sharpness to 50 or over when playing games like Uncharted 4 because it isn't checkerboard or 4K so it looks blurry if I leave sharpness where other games are. Really wish it was higher res.

Last edited:

kagigod

Neo Member
Is it possible that with the last firmware Samsung has messed with the color space settings? Before, Native color space was super saturated and Auto was more natural, but with firmware 1220 it's the other way around, color look much more saturated with Auto color space. This is with game mode enabled, SDR content.

Anyone else noticed? Maybe Native is the right setting now?

nowhat

I wonder why they use Medium for Dynamic Contrast when displaying HDR.
It's just the default, in order to get that "ooh, those blacks are like to black and whites so white!"-effect in a retailer settings I guess. Dynamic contrast definitely off, especially with HDR content (whether it is appropriate for SDR is debatable).

chaosaeon

So this latest update has made my set considerably more dim overall and even dynamic contrast doesn't help. Here's the fun thing, I only used game mode for multiplayer stuff, so my regular HDR settings stayed the same after the update. My settings were exactly the same only now I'm finding myself having to turn up in game brightness in every game I've tried since the update. And of course that just makes the picture washed out. They absolutely did something or messed with the contrast or brightness of the set and I cannot for the life of me get it to look as good as it did five minutes before I updated. That's likely why they turned Dynamic Contrast on by default, to try to make up for how it looks dimmer or they screwed up the contrast.

So, I'm honestly a little infuriated after spending so long getting perfect settings for my tastes. Can you revert to the very first firmware by accessing that hidden menu with that button combination ? Or am I off to their forums to get ignored for years until I get rid of this and buy a new TV.

Siever

Neo Member
So this latest update has made my set considerably more dim overall and even dynamic contrast doesn't help.

Had the same issue, it turned out that update changed Energy saving settings and light sensor was turned on. Disable it and brightness will be back to normal:)

Bravestarr

Neo Member
For all european owners of the KS7090: The firmware 1220 works for this modell and fixes the HDR brightness bug (2 save slots for SDR and HDR). I installed and tested it yesterday

nowhat

HDR Brightness bug? What do you mean by that? KS7090 was available only in Germany AFAIK.
Previously, there was only a single setting in game mode for both SDR and HDR. So when changing between SDR and HDR the user had to manually adjust the backlight at the very least (surely no one runs SDR with the backlight set to 20... right?). But now there are separate settings for both, with the TV automatically switching settings when needed.

Changed my HDR settings with the new update. These seem to be on point for both Xbox and PS4 for me.

Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 40
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Colour 50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Colour Tone Warm 1
Gamma 0
Colour Space Auto

Every game I’ve tested looks great. Dynamic contrast off just makes games flat dull and grey. Dynamic contrast high really blows out the image compared to the earlier version number I was on.

Edit: I’ve also noticed that there is a lot less colour banding with this latest patch. I had some issues with lights into darks in some games like the witness in HDR and it’s all gone.

Last edited:

base

Banned
Previously, there was only a single setting in game mode for both SDR and HDR. So when changing between SDR and HDR the user had to manually adjust the backlight at the very least (surely no one runs SDR with the backlight set to 20... right?). But now there are separate settings for both, with the TV automatically switching settings when needed.
It's not brightness bug but simply a hdr game mode fix we have been talking about for the last year.

Panther84

Changed my HDR settings with the new update. These seem to be on point for both Xbox and PS4 for me.

Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 40
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Colour 50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Colour Tone Warm 1
Gamma 0
Colour Space Auto

Every game I’ve tested looks great. Dynamic contrast off just makes games flat dull and grey. Dynamic contrast high really blows out the image compared to the earlier version number I was on.

Edit: I’ve also noticed that there is a lot less colour banding with this latest patch. I had some issues with lights into darks in some games like the witness in HDR and it’s all gone.
You and I share the same eye lol. Almost identical to what I had to adjust my settings to after 1220.

Panther84

Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 40
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Colour 50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Colour Tone Warm 1
Gamma 0
Colour Space Auto

Curious to know your sdr settings?

chaosaeon

Had the same issue, it turned out that update changed Energy saving settings and light sensor was turned on. Disable it and brightness will be back to normal:)

I made sure all my eco settings are set to off. It isn't fixed :/. I'm having issues with both brights and darks. My black levels aren't getting anywhere near where they were before this update, and neither are the whites. I'm getting light bleed now all the sudden any time there's a dark screen with even a tiny light source, 2/3 of the screen lights up and I'm not getting any true blacks. And that's with brightness all the way down in the 20's even. This is awful. I never should have updated.

Edit : I did a complete factory reset from the hidden service menu. Not sure if it's completely fixed but it already looks much brighter than it was so this could be a good sign.

Last edited:

Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 40
Contrast 100
Sharpness 15
Colour 50
Smart LED High
Dynamic Contrast Medium
Colour Tone Warm 1
Gamma 0
Colour Space Auto

What are your ps4/XB1 settings?

X GOD FIST X

Neo Member
I really appreciate this thread since I own this TV. Thanks to all who post for their input on updates to the firmware. Glad I have mine not connected to the Wi-Fi and auto updating. At least I can make the call if I want the latest patch.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't think I have ever received an OTA update. Download it and install manually.

It's tempting but the amount of problems I've had with the tv I don't know if I dare risk it. Would there be a reason why they haven't mass rolled it out? All my previous updates have been automatic.

Panther84

It's tempting but the amount of problems I've had with the tv I don't know if I dare risk it. Would there be a reason why they haven't mass rolled it out? All my previous updates have been automatic.
Rudy1 did say it can take weeks before all the markets get OTA updates.

Hostile_18

Banned
Yeah I had to get it via usb yesterday as well (UK).

So all seems good, however still got the auto/native issue.

With SDR auto is right and with HDR Native is right (auto produces are more saturated intense image on HDR content).

Is this just my set? As native is meant to provide a less saturated accurate image on both types of content isn't it. If someone could check there settings during HDR that would be brilliant. Maybe it's a UK only firmware bug?

Yeah I had to get it via usb yesterday as well (UK).

So all seems good, however still got the auto/native issue.

With SDR auto is right and with HDR Native is right (auto produces are more saturated intense image on HDR content).

Is this just my set? As native is meant to provide a less saturated accurate image on both types of content isn't it. If someone could check there settings during HDR that would be brilliant. Maybe it's a UK only firmware bug?

Auto is the way to go with HDR. I explained above.

Basically. It's the Sam's Club/Costco version of the same set. There may be some minor differences but most of the info in this thread will also apply.
Oh okay, after a bit of research it's literally the same set/panel with a different bezel color. The KS8000 has like a chrome/brushed aluminum bezel, the KS800D is like black chrome with a gunmetal brushed aluminum bezel.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Oh okay, after a bit of research it's literally the same set/panel with a different bezel color. The KS8000 has like a chrome/brushed aluminum bezel, the KS800D is like black chrome with a gunmetal brushed aluminum bezel.

Cool because I have that same Sam's Club version too.

Just out of curiosity, is regional firmware different? I see people saying they're using firmware version 1220 while I'm on 1207 and completely updated (USA).

Dibils2k

1220 update is released to TVs in random order, so not everyone will have it

if you want it now you need to download it from website and update using usb

Panther84

Odd, I just checked for an update and it says I'm up to date at 1207.

20180418_134124.jpg

20180418_134052.jpg

You said you have a KS800D as well, are you on 1207 or 1220. I'm curious if the KS8000 updates independently from our TV's.
You need to download from the website and install via USB. Ota will be available sometime soon

But that should saturate the colours more than Native? Because that's what it does on HDR mode on my set (the opposite as with SDR).

The ISF engineer did a lot of tests with my set and Native seems to be broken: with SDR content it saturates the colors to hell and back and it does the opposite with HDR. If you don't have professional tools at your disposal just do some tests regarding the color red: you could try games like Forza Horizon 3 or GT Sport. You will notice that the red ferrari just turns into some sort of pinkish color. It does the same with all colors, just easier to notice with red.

Panther84

The ISF engineer did a lot of tests with my set and Native seems to be broken: with SDR content it saturates the colors to hell and back and it does the opposite with HDR. If you don't have professional tools at your disposal just do some tests regarding the color red: you could try games like Forza Horizon 3 or GT Sport. You will notice that the red ferrari just turns into some sort of pinkish color. It does the same with all colors, just easier to notice with red.
Ya I noticed when playing nhl 18. I compared my panthers jersey to the one in the game and it was way off when using native color mode.

A.Romero

can someone help me out? im on a ks8000 us with firmware 1207. ive downloaded the update to usb and i keep getting the error no updates are located on your usb. am i doing something incorrect? ive updated the firmware through usb like 3 times.
What I did was putting the file in several locations in the memory:

The zip on the root folder
The unzipped file on a folder with the same name as the file
The unzipped file on the root folder

One of those 3 was the correct one because it worked...

Boss Man

I really wish that they allowed more control over the input icons in the menu bar. I know that there are some "special" icons that are triggered by the input name, but there's not even a list of those anywhere.

Hostile_18

Banned
I know this is an age old debate but with HDR should dynamic contrast be used? The description says it prevents excessive difference between light and dark so you would think it works against HDR.. but then again it's on medium by default by the manufacturer.

With warm 2, and colour space auto I still have to reduce the brightness (in game menus) a lot to get anything resembling an improvement.

Just about to start god of war and between setting the tv options and then the in Game options, it kind of makes you wish for the days of plug in and play lol.

Top Bottom