• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Thanks for the help guys. Saw there was one guy on the a.v forums had a really good offer on a 65 B8. Anyways I phoned up and got 300 off the website price. So got a 65" B8 for £2000! Minus the 400 I'm selling this one for so really £1600!
Enjoy. Theres some good settings over on av forums and some on rtings.

Hostile_18

Banned
I don't change mine. Always dynamic contrast off, warm 2. Better or worse from scene to scene it's what the developers intended :).

shimceltic

Neo Member
I don't change mine. Always dynamic contrast off, warm 2. Better or worse from scene to scene it's what the developers intended :).
I meant the hdr sliders in the game. I set nits to 1000 as that's what I think the TV does then wasn't sure about the paper white slider

Hostile_18

Banned
Ok so first bear in mind I'm not as technically minded as some in this thread but do know the basics. I may be a little biase as well as my ks8000 developed faults twice in a two year period.

So it was the B8 65 inch I've upgraded to (no way could I go smaller than my old tv) for £2000. First up the build quality appears to be really good. No glue back to be found and the tv is so thin. Maybe the thickness of my S7 edge for most of it. It does make wall mounting the unit really unnerving though lol. Due to height differences using the same stand I had to mount it THREE times as well to get it the same level as my KS8000.

The picture is AMAZING. This is my first OLED but I've never seen a better picture at home or in the cinema. The blacks as so good, for certain things it's like there an image on the tv screen even though it looks like the tv is off 😂.

One thing I really like over the KS8000 is it seems alot easier to see the effects of options as your adjusting them on the fly. Sharpness, contrast, colour temp etc. In game mode you can literally adjust the colour temp in increments on 1 rather than 4 or 5 present (though that's present on other viewing modes).

The wand remote is really nice feature, not just a gimmick and is my preferred way to control the tv. (Like using a mouse really).

Sharpness seems alot less aggressive on this. Again I'm not an expert but say 0-30 I noticed no artefacts but also didn't notice that much of an improvement either. Over all of say it's a lot more restrained.

The picture out of the box is so good and very accurate to my eyes. You could very easily modify the only "incorrect" setting the colour temp from cool to warm and call it a day.

Moving on to Hdr again I noticed a huge improvement. You don't really notice that the peak brightness isn't as high because the black detail is so good. You could probably notice certain elements aren't quite as bright if you had the images side by side HOWEVER I feel the benefits if pure blacks and image clarity far out weighs this.

I haven't had chance to fully test HDR games in depth yet, but Horizon at night (in game) wow it looked soooo much better. Where's normally you could argue it's a 20-30% better picture during the night time scenes with stars etc it looks a multitude of times better. Tone Mapping for me makes the picture excellent no matter the individual game where's before on the KS8000 it was debatable about using DC and it didn't get on with some games (like final fantasy 15).

No issues with input lag to me. Feels as responsive to me as the KS800 but I'm not highly susceptible to it in the first place. I believe it's about 22ms in game mode.

Another benefit is no clouding or light bleed etc. You really do notice it's absence.

Positives.. a MUCH better picture both in SD and HDR, build quality vastly better (so far), great OS.

Downside... price although justified realitevly expensive & HDR peak brightness (with it been OLED).

In summery in this layman's opinion it comes HIGHLY recommended and is a substantial upgrade for both movies and games. I think the best praise I can give is that I could never go back now to LED after OLED, the improvements are just too vast across the board with the small niggle of peak brightness that is vastly outweighed by all the benefits and the pure black levels.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
after getting it fixed months ago, it's starting to light bleed again. Sigh. Why does this happen? i dont touch the panel or anything.

I don't know if this is light bleed but on my old telly if there was a really light scene or white I'd see like a light yellow stain at the sides. Most of the time I never saw it but it was annoying when it came up. After two different faults developing I put up with it (and I wasn't sure if it was just a limitation of been edge lit that all tvs might have to do me extent).

Bigboss0616

Neo Member
Good morning, long time reader first time poster. I was curious on everybody’s thoughts on lowering gamma on this tv with dynamic contrast to low or medium (decreased contrast). For me, it created a better HDR effect.

Panther84

Good morning, long time reader first time poster. I was curious on everybody’s thoughts on lowering gamma on this tv with dynamic contrast to low or medium (decreased contrast). For me, it created a better HDR effect.
When I used dynamic contrast I would always drop gamma to -3.

Panther84

I've settled on my hdr settings without the use of dynamic contrast.
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint 50/50
Smart led high
Dynamic contrast off
Warm2
Gamma -2
Color space auto

base

Banned
I started at 20 then 15 then 10 now I'm at zero sharpness and happy. Took time but my eyes adjusted. Now sharpness at 5 shows artifacts to my eyes.
Been using Sharpness at 0 whole the time, but I was curious because some people use 15-20.

Someone using the TV as monitor? If I set it to Console and then turn on the Game Mode the screen seems grainy, too sharp.

carsar

Someone using the TV as monitor?
change input to PC. you'll get RGB picture without any compression.
And default(50) PC mode sharpness is not too sharp.
And most important thing -pc sharpness works comletely different and doesn't make picture grainy in motion.
You can use 53 sharpness to make 2160p picture even clearlier(like 5k)))
or you can use 55-65 sharpness to avoid blurry visual for games with TAA antiasliasing.
For example, Driveclub, HZD looks mich clearlier with 60-65 sharpness in PC RGB mode.
Game mode(that is 422 comperssion) looks like 1440p compared to PC mode.

base

Banned
I'm going to use FullHD. My laptop with GF1050 won't achieve nothing above 30 fps. I want to play the Witcher 3 on PC. I've already played it on PS4 Pro but I heard there's a big difference with High settings on PC.

Bigboss0616

Neo Member
I've settled on my hdr settings without the use of dynamic contrast.
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
Color 55
Tint 50/50
Smart led high
Dynamic contrast off
Warm2
Gamma -2
Color space auto

Right now
Backlight 20
Brightness 42
Contrast 92
Sharpness 25
Color 60
Smart Led High
Dynamic Contrast medium
Gamma -1
Color space auto

It seems to give that pop without much loss of detail. Why’d you change from dynamic contrast?

Panther84

Right now
Backlight 20
Brightness 42
Contrast 92
Sharpness 25
Color 60
Smart Led High
Dynamic Contrast medium
Gamma -1
Color space auto

It seems to give that pop without much loss of detail. Why’d you change from dynamic contrast?
I noticed the detail I was losing in brighr areas as well as dark. Forza horizon 4 is beautiful without dynamic contrast. When I turn on dynamic contrast I lose detail in the sky and dark scenes become to bright. One thing that helped me get used to no dynamic contrast in hdr was turning my sdr backlight to 10. You gotta let your eyes adjust to a dimmer picture. The best advice I have is just keep the settings that please your eyes, I've probably tried every setting on this thread but ended up settling with my own settings.

A.Romero

Does anybody know how to stop the TV from going to PC mode automatically? I connect my PC through a Receiver but for some reason 4K resolution tends to be a bit wacky. I used to thing my HDMI cable was too long but I changed it for a shorter one and still the image is not as it is with other 4K inputs like a Shield TV.

I'd like to try disabling PC mode to see if that helps.

I noticed the detail I was losing in brighr areas as well as dark. Forza horizon 4 is beautiful without dynamic contrast. When I turn on dynamic contrast I lose detail in the sky and dark scenes become to bright. One thing that helped me get used to no dynamic contrast in hdr was turning my sdr backlight to 10. You gotta let your eyes adjust to a dimmer picture. The best advice I have is just keep the settings that please your eyes, I've probably tried every setting on this thread but ended up settling with my own settings.

Well yeah that's why people say dynamic contrast is bad. You lose details in some of the colors because places that were supposed to be darker are brightened to make the picture more pop and in the process they might reach same shade as neighbor pixels causing loss of finer details.

I think i said this before, but if you are turning on Dynamic Contrast in HDR you may aswell turn off HDR

That might be true for your set but it is not true of all of them. If one thing is clear after all this time, it's that there is a lot of variation among KS8000 units. We know there are at least 2 different panel types and even among those there is variation over time. This was a very popular model. This is on top of different viewing conditions, sources, age, etc. Yes, it's tempting to think "they just don't know what they're talking about" when you read an opinion on a set that conflicts with your own experience, but I can assure you that on my KS8000, having DC on low with HDR games does not ruin the HDR effect. It does help with some games that look overly subdued/dim in HDR (Hot Shots Golf PS4, for example) and make them appear natural instead of looking like you're wearing light sunglasses the whole time. Is there crush going on? Yes, but in my experience with my set it is very, very minor on low and is well worth the trade-off.

Again, It's not a good idea for owners to simply copy other people's settings off the Internet. Their settings may not be the best for your set and could be outright bad. If you want good results you'll need to do some testing yourself. I would strongly encourage anyone interested in PQ to get a calibration disc and make your own settings. Start with DC and every other kind of processing off and keep them off because in general, these things are bad, but in the end if you just find some HDR games too subdued/dim, DC low can be the answer.

thaBootyologist

Neo Member
Noticed this forum has been dead for a few weeks. Has anyone updated to the new 1231.1 firmware? I've been researching it and many say this is the BEST version ever. Improvement range from a more fluid/faster menu, edge light is more controlled, and dynamic contrast is MUCH better. I recommend updating ASAP if you haven't already.

Panther84

Noticed this forum has been dead for a few weeks. Has anyone updated to the new 1231.1 firmware? I've been researching it and many say this is the BEST version ever. Improvement range from a more fluid/faster menu, edge light is more controlled, and dynamic contrast is MUCH better. I recommend updating ASAP if you haven't already.
Ya I've updated and have noticed better contrast. Might be placebo but have heard others say it's minding blowing how much the picture has improved.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

How did you get the update?

kitsunisan

Neo Member
Well, it was fun while it lasted. After two years, one month and four days my ks8000 died. Nothing but vertical lines on the screen. From what I understand it's a bad t-con panel, which Samsund decided to make part of the display. Anyone out of warranty get a screen repair? I'm wondering if it's worth it to fix or start looking around for a replacement.

Melubas

Question: For PC gaming in 4k, do you guys/girls use game mode or pc mode? I've been using game mode exlusively but I heard that PC mode adds Chroma 4:4:4 color while adding 10-15ms of input lag, giving a sharper overall look. Is the image quality gain worth it?

Dibils2k

I would use PC Mode if i were you, only problem is the HDR is broken (it will work but the colors and brightness is all messed up). The chroma 4:4:4 is worth the small bit of extra input lag imo

chaosaeon

I'm skeptical about ever updating the firmware after the last time I did it royally messed up my set. So I turned automatic updates off and I was really happy with my settings too. Guess what, it did it anyway as soon as I turned the TV off, and is still set as automatic updates off. How nice of them, updating when I distinctly said not to. Anyone know how to make this simple on/off function actually WORK ? Because otherwise I'm just going to end up auto installing whatever they decide to release whether it's better or worse.

MilkyJoe

Is it still worth to get ?
Are there other models that have better performences and price
Need some recommendation

It's a great TV, you won't find one anywhere though
The best replacement I know of is the Samsung NU8000

The reviews say "great for gaming thanks to it's wonderfully low input lag and is capable of breath taking HDR"

Whitecrow

Banned
Question: For PC gaming in 4k, do you guys/girls use game mode or pc mode? I've been using game mode exlusively but I heard that PC mode adds Chroma 4:4:4 color while adding 10-15ms of input lag, giving a sharper overall look. Is the image quality gain worth it?
Honestly, I cant see any difference between 422 and 444 chroma in games.

But what do I know, at least on samsung TVs, is that on PC mode the TV expands the input signal color gamut to the widest it can output, meanwhile in game mode, you can make the TV respect the original color space the games are made for, gaining in accuracy.

After a looooot of testing with my TV, these are the settings I find more pleasant for SDR content:

Picture: Game Mode
Brightness: 47 (45 is the minimum, but a bit too crushed for my taste)
HDMI Black level: Low (I dont know if Ks8000 supports full RGB , mine does not, so I need the this enhacement)
Contrast: 90 (more than this colors gets oversaturated, but depending on the game/scene, it can look better)
Color space: Auto (it's forced to native on PC mode, and you want to avoid that, at least in SDR)
Color temperature: Warm 2
Gamma: 0
PC Color depth: 8-bit (no deep color)

Make sure your PC outputs at the same RGB range that supports the TV.

Give these settings a try.

Melubas

Honestly, I cant see any difference between 422 and 444 chroma in games.

But what do I know, at least on samsung TVs, is that on PC mode the TV expands the input signal color gamut to the widest it can output, meanwhile in game mode, you can make the TV respect the original color space the games are made for, gaining in accuracy.

After a looooot of testing with my TV, these are the settings I find more pleasant for SDR content:

Picture: Game Mode
Brightness: 47 (45 is the minimum, but a bit too crushed for my taste)
HDMI Black level: Low (I dont know if Ks8000 supports full RGB , mine does not, so I need the this enhacement)
Contrast: 90 (more than this colors gets oversaturated, but depending on the game/scene, it can look better)
Color space: Auto (it's forced to native on PC mode, and you want to avoid that, at least in SDR)
Color temperature: Warm 2
Gamma: 0
PC Color depth: 8-bit (no deep color)

Make sure your PC outputs at the same RGB range that supports the TV.

Give these settings a try.

Yeah that's pretty much what I use right now. I didn't know PC forces native color space, that's a big negative for me. I think it already looks amazing when gaming in 4k from the PC so maybe I'll just leave it as it is. Thanks for the answer!

Whitecrow

Banned
Yeah that's pretty much what I use right now. I didn't know PC forces native color space, that's a big negative for me. I think it already looks amazing when gaming in 4k from the PC so maybe I'll just leave it as it is. Thanks for the answer!
At least on my model (its from 2015). I assume it's the same for all TVs, but I cant tell for sure.

Top Bottom