• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

MilkyJoe

Doesn't the KS7000 only have high dynamic range on HDMI port 1? The ps4/bd player AND tv settings tells me so.

no, I'm pretty sure it's plugged into 4 and the option to turn on HDR is on a per port basis and they all have the option. ,I couldn't imagine any reason why that would be a "feature"

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
no, I'm pretty sure it's plugged into 4 and the option to turn on HDR is on a per port basis and they all have the option. ,I couldn't imagine any reason why that would be a "feature"
My bad I was thinking of the KU7000. Your tv is a 65' or 55' right?

Joni44

Neo Member
Hello.
In connection with the release of many updates, have your TV settings changed?
Please share the settings for the KS8000 for movies (SDR and HDR) and games (SDR and HDR)
Thanks in advance.

J Skleezo

Neo Member
After a almost year taking a brake I started again tinker with my KS8000 HDR settings but I still have the same problem. On a HDR mode colors always seems faded and washed out.

hUOFCA6.jpg

v8iApXh.jpg

I know that it is absolute travesty to take "HDR" images with phone camera but this still is somewhat how I see with my naked eye. First picture is HDR enabled and latter with disabled. Every game (including Desktop) I have tried is the same. No matter what HDR settings I try there always seems to be this "over bright film" on top of my picture. To me this feels like colors are faded and washed out.

I also have Samsung MU6100 and with it I tried to Game Stream with Nvidia Shield TV from same desktop that is connected to KS8000 and HDR works just great. I have literally tried every setting and config that I have found but I just can't solve this problem. Has any of you KS8000 owners tackled with issue?
I have this same problem... So frustrating. Any suggestions on a fix yet?

Great TV and excellent for gaming. The only real problem is how delicate the damn screen is. I've has two break now and i'm very careful with my electronics. I've seen Sony TVs take some pretty huge hits without breaking but the KS8000 will crack if you tap on it to hard. I would personally say go with LG or Sony, they are a bit more durable.

Coreyb123

Neo Member
What settings do you use now?
Backlight 28
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 2
Colour 25
Local dimming standard
Contrast enhancer high
Colour tone warm 2
Gamma bt.1886 ( only let me have this one tho
Colour space setting native
Game enhancer on
Dynamic black equalizer 2
Free sync ultimate

Ulysses 31

Backlight 28
Brightness 0
Contrast 45
Sharpness 2
Colour 25
Local dimming standard
Contrast enhancer high
Colour tone warm 2
Gamma bt.1886 ( only let me have this one tho
Colour space setting native
Game enhancer on
Dynamic black equalizer 2
Free sync ultimate

I disabled AI and ECO settings for max brightness and enabled input signal plus on all HDMI ports.

picture size setting 16:9 standard
fit to screen yes

Black levels auto
Game enhancer on
Dynamic black equalizer 0
Free sync ultimate

game mode on

SDR:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer off/low
Colour tone warm 1
Gamma 2.2
Color space setting native

HDR(PS4/XBox One):

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer high
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 -1

HDR PC:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer off
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 3

NVIDIA color settings
brightness 60%
contrast 100%
gamma 1.00

digital vibrance 35%
Hue 0%

Coreyb123

Neo Member
I disabled AI and ECO settings for max brightness and enabled input signal plus on all HDMI ports.

fit to screen yes

Black levels auto
Game enhancer on
Free sync ultimate

game mode on

SDR:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Colour tone warm 1
Gamma 2.2

HDR(PS4/XBox One):

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer high
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 -1

HDR PC:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer off
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 3

NVIDIA color settings
brightness 60%
contrast 100%
gamma 1.00

digital vibrance 35%
Hue 0%
Thanks so much mate

Coreyb123

Neo Member

fit to screen yes

Black levels auto
Game enhancer on
Free sync ultimate

game mode on

SDR:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Colour tone warm 1
Gamma 2.2

HDR(PS4/XBox One):

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer high
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 -1

HDR PC:

Backlight 50
Brightness 0
Contrast 50
Sharpness 7
Color 25
Local dimming high
Contrast enhancer off
Color tone warm 1
Gamma st.2084 3

NVIDIA color settings
brightness 60%
contrast 100%
gamma 1.00

digital vibrance 35%
Hue 0%
Heya mate one more question is it okay to have backlight on 50 will it not damage my tv bro ?

sol_bad

How does brightness change for you on Netflix? Do you have eco mode on?

Nah, all the eco stuff is turned off.
It just randomly changes brightness, it'll be the usual settings that I have set up, then it gets darker, then it reverts back to my normal settings.

Thinking about selling my 60" KS800D (Costco KS8000).

What do you think I could get for it? I want to move to maybe a QLED or OLED, I haven't decided yet.

Bravestarr

Neo Member
large

My KS7090 (KS8000 in EU) shows a bright blue dot in bright colors and some blue shimming at the bottom. Does anybody know this problem? Hard and softreset did not solve the problem.

Grinchy

Banned
large

My KS7090 (KS8000 in EU) shows a bright blue dot in bright colors and some blue shimming at the bottom. Does anybody know this problem? Hard and softreset did not solve the problem.
My brother's KS8500 has that now too. I just assumed it was the typical light bleed people were mentioning. I have never brought it up with him hoping he doesn't see it. While playing games and watching stuff, it's not the end of the world, but it sure is frustrating.

Filth

fit to screen yes

Black levels auto
Game enhancer on
Free sync ultimate

game mode on

where is this option on the tv ?

Filth

There isn't. It's probably not about the KS he's talking about.

EDIT: reading the posts above, they're talking about the Q950R

Oh ok ty. I had my ks8000 in storage for two years and just brought it to my new place and have no idea about the settings. I updated the tv and nothing really looks perfect and ive been using a bunch of peoples opinions.

Great TV and excellent for gaming. The only real problem is how delicate the damn screen is. I've has two break now and i'm very careful with my electronics. I've seen Sony TVs take some pretty huge hits without breaking but the KS8000 will crack if you tap on it to hard. I would personally say go with LG or Sony, they are a bit more durable.

I just want to say as a comparison (for no one at all because who would buy this 4 year old tv), my screen has held up great. My lab puppy jumped into it, and now as an adult nose bumps it daily. I wipe down the bottom 3 inches with lens fluid weekly, rubbing the screen, no issues even though I've let liquid seep into the seam.

I'm getting within a year of hoping this dies, yet it keeps on doing this thing.

My real question: does game mode tamper with the picture more than just graying out settings that I'm not using (motion smoothing, clear motion)?

So I have a KS8000 and have always used the SmartView app for it on my iPhone. Earlier this year I got the message it was being discontinued and support was being moved over to the newer(?) SmartThings app. Downloaded it but for whatever reason the app isn't detecting the TV. Anyone able to help?

Sorry, I'm not getting another Samsung TV, their firmware made the thing worse over time.

Main annoyances that were not there about two years ago:
  • I can't even unplug and replug a device without it attempting to "detect" the device (computer, PS4, BlueRay drive... whatever it is).. in the process it loses it's profile, so I have to re-configure the colors settings
  • HDMI CIC seems to be linked to specific device and brands, it won't work with the PS4 anymore because Samsung doesn't have a stupid profile for it (that was no problem before)
  • They added a forced TV+ icon to the menu, it seems to come back at every update... and it screws up with my over the air channel browsing
So no, I won't touch one again even if they found some way to make all content holographic and they came with speakers that were so great it would make the best home theater lame.

Darko

What are the best settings for HDR in gaming mode, right now all my blacks look greyish, if I turn off HDR it looks normal.

Darko

PDF attachment in first post.

These settings are a good general consensus on what they should be. Haven't had any issues with them.
my problem was I had gaming mode on and that messes up all the settings and may not work with HDR, i turned that off and now it looks amazing... this whole time ive been playing with a washed out image thinking the TV was garbage.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
my problem was I had gaming mode on and that messes up all the settings and may not work with HDR, i turned that off and now it looks amazing... this whole time ive been playing with a washed out image thinking the TV was garbage.
Gaming mode most definitely works with HDR and even has its own separate settings. So you can make proper changes like getting the getting the backlight at max and the smart LED on high. And then those choices won't be going on when it's not using HDR (where you wouldn't want the smart LED on high or the backlight at max). It switches between them automatically the second you boot up a game that uses HDR.

What settings was game mode messing up for you? It disables all the motion smoothing stuff which you definitely do not want on when gaming anyway.

Ulysses 31

What settings was game mode messing up for you? It disables all the motion smoothing stuff which you definitely do not want on when gaming anyway.
Unless he doesn't mind stutter in 30 fps games then some low de-judder setting will reduce a lot of the stutter. Dunno if the KS8000 has game motion plus like the 2019/2020 models. :lollipop_grinning:

Pantz

My KS8000 is still going strong. Probably wont upgrade until mid-gen refreshes, like when I bought it along with PS4 Pro.

Rbk_3

Mine has been moved up to the living room and is used for just TV now, replaced with the C9 for gaming in the basement.

Thanofski88

Neo Member

I really really can't stress this enough. Revisited this post just to share my experience with my 4year ks8000.

Had my tv on sale for like a week because I rly couldn't stand the way HDR games on PS4 were displayed.yes I've checked rtings.com ,yes I have everything calibrated included PS4 HDR adjustment ,no I don't use dynamic contrast and all these stuff mentioned everywhere .image looked dull,greyish,with no colors and way worse than ANY other HDR10 tv ive seen with my own eyes.

Well believe it or not all these years I thought I was getting the most out of this tv I wasntv because of GAME MODE being ENABLED .

All those who experience the same issue make a try.you won't regret it .my settings are

HDR
Standard mode
Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 44
Sharpness 10
Smart led high
Dynamic contrast off
Gamma 0
Color temp warm 2
Everything else is deactivated including game mode

I have just had a light bleed issue on this set in bottom lower right corner 😑

I’m UK based, is there any easy fix / solution to this - I’m guessing a repair is out of the question / too pricey... (55inch model)
15-F807-A1-72-B0-4-D57-83-D3-6203-B8-C14-E7-E.jpg

Last edited:

madjackal

I really really can't stress this enough. Revisited this post just to share my experience with my 4year ks8000.

Had my tv on sale for like a week because I rly couldn't stand the way HDR games on PS4 were displayed.yes I've checked rtings.com ,yes I have everything calibrated included PS4 HDR adjustment ,no I don't use dynamic contrast and all these stuff mentioned everywhere .image looked dull,greyish,with no colors and way worse than ANY other HDR10 tv ive seen with my own eyes.

Well believe it or not all these years I thought I was getting the most out of this tv I wasntv because of GAME MODE being ENABLED .

All those who experience the same issue make a try.you won't regret it .my settings are

HDR
Standard mode
Backlight 20
Contrast 100
Brightness 44
Sharpness 10
Smart led high
Dynamic contrast off
Gamma 0
Color temp warm 2
Everything else is deactivated including game mode

Have you noticed any additional input lag from turning game mode off?

Thanofski88

Neo Member
Have you noticed any additional input lag from turning game mode off?

Yeah I definitely did especially while aiming.still the image is superior so I guess for single player games I can cope with some minor delay instead of sacrificing the whole purpose of my tv.

I can't notice any difference on sdr games though.still on HDR game mode feels like brightness gets kinda raised in some weird way and because of that image loses some color and contrast.

Top Bottom