• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KT's Attack on Titan 2 confirmed for Switch, PS4, Vita, and Steam in Japan

Update: Coming to NA and EU on Switch, PS4, XBO, and Steam. In NA at least it's retail on all but Steam:

Koei Tecmo America PR said:
KOEI TECMO America Unveils Gaming Platforms For Upcoming Titanic Action Game ATTACK ON TITAN 2

Don The Omni-Directional Mobility Gear And Experience The Gripping Events From Season 2 Of The Worldwide Anime Hit, ‘Attack on Titan'

Burlingame, Calif. — September 25, 2017 — KOEI TECMO America is excited to unveil today that ATTACK ON TITAN 2, the sequel to 2016's titanic action game, Attack on Titan, is currently in development for physical release on the PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, Nintendo Switch™, and digitally on Windows PC via Steam®.

ATTACK ON TITAN 2 delves deeply into the fascinating narrative of Attack on Titan's second season and offers players versatile action and new challenges, as it introduces the newly improved omni-directional mobility gear offering advanced freedom of movement and targeting precision to counter enhanced Titan movements.

Players will be able to try their new moves against these fearsome Titans as they control characters from a Titan-sized roster! Outside of battle they will be able to deepen their relationships with their fellow squad-mates while gaining greater insight into life within the walls thanks to more advanced RPG elements.

While more information about the game's release date, narrative, and new mechanics will be unveiled in the coming weeks, KOEI TECMO released a new selection of in-game assets which further showcase famous scenes from the anime and character interactions outside of battle.

For more news and information on ATTACK ON TITAN 2, please visit the official site at www.koeitecmoamerica.com/attackontitan2 , Like KOEI TECMO America on Facebook at www.facebook.com/koeitecmous , and become part of the #KTfamily by following KOEI TECMO America on Twitter at @KoeiTecmoUS. This title has not yet been rated by the ESRB.

ABOUT KOEI TECMO AMERICA CORP.
KOEI TECMO AMERICA CORP. is a publisher of interactive entertainment software for current generation consoles, handhelds and digital download content based in Burlingame, California. The company is a wholly owned subsidiary of KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD., headquartered in Yokohama, Japan. KOEI is best known for its Dynasty Warriors® and Samurai Warriors® franchises. TECMO is best known for the Dead or Alive®, Ninja Gaiden®, Tecmo Bowl®, and Fatal Frame® series.

Based on the manga "Shingeki no Kyojin" by Hajime Isayama originally serialized in the
monthly BESSATSU SHONEN magazine published by Kodansha Ltd. ©Hajime Isayama,Kodansha/"ATTACK ON TITAN"Production Committee.

©2017 KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD. The KT logo is a registered trademark of KOEI TECMO HOLDINGS CO., LTD.

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One and Xbox LIVE are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies.

”PlayStation" is a registered trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

© 2017 Nintendo. Nintendo Switch and Joy-Con are trademarks of Nintendo.

###

aot2switchr1uzw.png

Info and screens courtesy of Gematsu:

- 3D Maneuver Gear actions are more diversified.
- Titan movements have evolved, making battles more exhilarating.
- Players can experience the story of the second season of the television anime.
- The amount of playable characters in Attack on Titan 2 has significantly increased from the 10 playable characters in Koei Tecmo's first Attack on Titan game. (A specific number was not announced.)
- Players will be able to have deep exchanges with the characters from the original work.
- [???] can be created.
- [???] Mode has been implemented.

From the AoT2 livestream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSCOwacKxh8

Ridley327

I wonder how long it will be until some version of DW9 hits the Switch. In any case, this is good news, though I wonder which version the Switch version will take after more: PS4 or Vita.

I wonder how long it will be until some version of DW9 hits the Switch. In any case, this is good news, though I wonder which version the Switch version will take after more: PS4 or Vita.

I assume PS4 since Azure 2 clearly was IIRC. I'm also curious how the Switch versions of DW8 Empires, SW Spirit of Sanada, and WO3 compare.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Should be fun on the switch.

The first game ran pretty shitty on vita and I expect the same for vita again.

There would be no excuse for not just having the console versions be on switch so I expect performance to be solid and it to not look as bad as vita did either.

jbug617

Banned
My guess they are releasing a Xbox One version only in the West just like the first one. They also doing that with the new Dynasty Warriors game.

Also what changed since Gamescom because it didn't sound like they were going to do a Switch version.
First of all, we quizzed Koinuma-san on one of the most relevant aspects that were left out from the initial announcement, the platforms. Surprisingly, he actually provided a fairly precise answer: while not all the platforms have been decided on at this stage of development, he confirmed that the Attack on Titan 2 will release for PS4 and Xbox One. The goal for the team is to be able to show more of the game and announce the final list of platforms between October and November.

Ultimately, Koei Tecmo would like to bring the game to as many anime fans as possible, and they're aware that the fanbase is very diverse in relation to which gaming machines they use. Pressed on whether a Nintendo Switch version is possible, Koinuma-san clarified that it's not impossible, but he can't promise it for the moment. The team still needs to investigate the technical challenges involved in posting the title to new platforms before a final call can be made as development progresses.
https://www.dualshockers.com/attack-on-titan-2-interview/

Hardvlade

Is this in Japan only? (I'd understand if they skip Xbox One over there like the first game)

I thought the game was confirmed on Xbox One as well. (via DualShockers?). Hoping it comes to all platforms here in the West at least =P

Well, it seems like Tecmo Koei is all in.

Wonder how long Capcom is going to twiddle their thumbs in the corner, bleeding money?

My guess they are releasing a Xbox One version only in the West just like the first one.

Also what changed since Gamescom because it didn't sound like they were going to do a Switch version.

https://www.dualshockers.com/attack-on-titan-2-interview/

Switch is quickly becoming the dominant platform in Japan and has a strong western audience. I'm guessing the DW8, SW and WO ports were fairly cheap and easy to do. So...

Ridley327

Is this in Japan only? (I'd understand if they skip Xbox One over there like the first game)

I thought the game was confirmed on Xbox One as well. (via DualShockers?). Hoping it comes to all platforms here in the West at least =P

There's no reason to keep the Switch version stuck in Japan if they're already localizing it on other platforms. We'll get an official announcement about it coming over here soon, I feel.

Hardvlade

There's no reason to keep the Switch version stuck in Japan if they're already localizing it on other platforms. We'll get an official announcement about it coming over here soon, I feel.

Hoping so! I loved the first game even though it was a bit repetitive and Levi feels like a cheat code, it was still super fun once you got the hang of it.

The first had a good feel with the 3d maneuver gear but just like every omega force game it got old fast cuz they suck ass at mission design.

Neoxon

I wonder if they'll actually add an English dub for the western release. I'm sure Funimation would be open to doing it.

As for the lack of an Xbox One version, don't most Japanese devs only bother with the XB1 version for the western release? I mean, I'll probably get this on Switch if I have the spare cash, but still.

Doctre81

That switch version though. They were saying just last month that they couldn't make any promises regarding a switch version.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
in for ps4...but i cant be the only one to wish they would just drop vita already and use switch handheld mode as the bottom baseline

silva1991

In for... well nothing. Wasn't imppresed with how the first game looked and this doesn't look much better to me.

AoT needs cel shading like the Naruto games and better animations.

I wonder if they'll actually add an English dub for the western release. I'm sure Funimation would be open to doing it.

As for the lack of an Xbox One version, don't most Japanese devs only bother with the XB1 version for the western release? I mean, I'll probably get this on Switch if I have the spare cash, but still.

Same here, Funimation needs to get on board with AOT and One piece dubs since the last games hacve been sub only. I'm sure they'd be more than willing to do it since AOT is really popular over here.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
In for... well nothing. Wasn't imppresed with how the first game looked and this doesn't look much better to me.

AoT needs cel shading like the Naruto games and better animations.

not everyone can be CC2

CamHostage

The first game ran pretty shitty on vita and I expect the same for vita again.

Yeah, I love my Vita, but sadly I would have been contented for this platform to have been left out of the plans after the compromises and ugly product that came out as the first game on Vita. The system can handle the Omega Force engine and its subsets (though DW9 is finally setting a dividing line from past-gen), but this is one of those cases where it probably shouldn't be attempted.

Great news of a Switch version, though! First of many Omega Force games on the platform, one can hope, and best of luck getting it running smoothly because portable Warriors is my way to play.

(BTW, have any Musou/Omega Force games showed up on Switch yet? I know SW3u, SW: Spirit of Sanada, and DW8 Empires are all on the roster, and there's Fire Emblem Warriors if that counts or not (?it looks plenty like Musou visuals and play in engine, but Team Ninja is credited as developing it?) but I don't recall any of those Switch versions being out or even demoed; none of those but FE are on Koei's TGS title list either even though the ports are due soon. I'll cross my fingers that Switch can handle this engine as well as I assume it could...)

Waji

Joke question ? Because we still don't know enough ?
I wonder how much time it will take for people to realise the Switch is not "that" weak.
I don't know how DQ1&2 compared to both but I wouldn't count it as a good example anyway.

brawly

Question is how will they handle you-know-which-scene from season 2. I do wanna see that done justice in a game.

Top Bottom