• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire (2017) |OT| A dodgy smile can put you on trial

cormack12

Gold Member
OgUfJek.png

8b0A8An.png

5LKqykt.jpg

Vqny4AJ.png

Wtk0dpM.png

In the original game, whilst interrogating a suspect Cole had three options. Truth, Doubt or Lie. In the remaster these have been updated to 'Good cop', 'Bad Cop' or 'Accuse'. This was mainly because when using 'Doubt' in the first game Cole would fly off the handle and become an angry asshole. You can watch some of his more 'colourful' responses here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i95qvFxyE2E

PGZq9EC.png

While Rockstar have their logo attached to the game and it's an open world adventure, that's where the comparison stops. At the end of each case you'll be graded on your performance. So any vehicular damage, civilian casualties or damage to the city property will cost you dearly and blemish your record. As will missing clues or fluffing interrogations.

There is a free roam mode after you complete the desks where you can do what you want. Find vehicles, landmarks, collect the golden reels, solve 'street crimes' taking place or find police badges. Probably better to think of it as driving round L.A. soaking in the sights and sounds of the era, rather than causing mayhem etc.

r7UG00a.png

A big deal was made of the motionScan technology used in L.A. Noire, which perfectly captured facial animations and were the USP of the game. Having to read the NPC face and body language to detect if they were lying or not. While it led to some freaky faces, it also highlighted a great leap that could possibly be made in the future. Sadly, not many games have built upon this technology. There is a good write up of how this works here:

https://electronics.howstuffworks.com/motionscan-technology.htm

And some gifs to keep you awake at night:

giphy.gif
lanoire_gameplayseriesq7nk.gif
rdDQaR8.gif

wcy.gif
ipjq2ibvpojbi12j0s.gif
r2TuhY.gif

NIntendo Switch Screenshots
Only have my laptop today and I'm on mobile tomorrow so had to put it up a day early. If mods want to lock until tomorrow feel free :)

Kadayi

Banned
GJ on the OP. I keep coming back to the game, but always struggle to get too far into it, although I like the setting and premise.

mario_O

Those gifs are amazing :D Still the best mocap I've ever seen. It's worth playing the game just for that. Also has one of the best stories in a game.

Rellik

Those gifs are amazing :D Still the best mocap I've ever seen. It's worth playing the game just for that. Also has one of the best stories in a game.

Great game that I enjoyed but the faces are really jarring because the bodies are 2 generations behind.

fernoca

I just need to know if the Switch version includes a booklet and map like most of their games. Otherwise, I'll go digital.

Onw of my favorite Xbox 360 games.

Bluecondor

Great OT!

I can't wait to see the impressions on the VR mode. I have high hopes for a PSVR version in the near future.

stn

Great OP, missed this one the first time around. Getting a physical copy for PS4 whenever I have a moment.

I've played this game few weeks after its original release in 2011. The concept and the graphics were great, the rest not so much.
The new investigation options are a real salt saver and I welcome this new addition. However, it is not enough for me to double tip.
It would have been better if the choices made, either right or wrong, were really meaningful and had some impact on the plot.
All in all is just an action, investigation police drama with excellent cutscenes and nothing else. Games like this need alternative ending and various extra, imo.
To me, it was the fourth best multiplat game of 2011, right after Portal 2, Mortal Kombat and Skyrim.

EDarkness

This has to be one of the best OTs I've seen on GAF. Good work, man.

I'm thinking I'll probably pick the game up in the next couple of weeks. Gotta save for the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Collector's Edition. I hope the gyro aiming works well.

Hostile_18

Banned
Great OP almost enough for me to want to re-buy the game. But I just don't see how they are justifying the price. This isn't a collection of games (ala Metro, BioShock), it isn't a remake (ala Halo Anniversary, Crash Bandicoot) and there's little or no new content.

Robin64

Amazon UK are doing the Switch one for £36, compared to the £45 it "should be". Much closer to the £30 price of the other systems, thankfully.

How is the story of that game? Is there a consistent plot, or just independent cases that you have to solve? I'd love a switch game with a solid story, since it's what I'm missing there between all the recently released games.

Excellent OP, my man. I love this game and I wish they would update the PC version just for that good cop-bad cop thing.

I wouldn't recommend this game if you're coming from and love the GTA games. LA Noire uses its open world to enhance the story, not to cause mayhem in. Think of it as a detective, 3D adventure game. Really wish there were more games like it (a detective simulator).

How is the story of that game? Is there a consistent plot, or just independent cases that you have to solve? I'd love a switch game with a solid story, since it's what I'm missing there between all the recently released games.

The game has a main plot, and a couple of secondary cases.
The main plot is basically a slightly modified retelling of the real life "Black Dahlia" murders.
The secondary cases are the DLCs and a couple of more episodes, with more original foul plays to investigate.

Up until the final mission the plot barely makes sense, but it's pleasant to watch due to the great acting, both facial and voice, and the typical R* cinema direction.
However, the final showdown with the main baddy is kinda a let down and the ending, while is the cliché noir ending, doesn't make sense.

It's more an "experience" than a game, a là David Cage, love or hate it. Just slightly more interactive and waaaaay less stupid. But still stupid on its own, nonetheless.

Ubername

Banned
To be honest i'd rather the open world be there for the setting/immersion rather than useless filler like what ruined Mafia 3.

Yeah totally. Or countless other games that do the same thing and end up being drudge work instead of simulation

It's more an "experience" than a game, a là David Cage, love or hate it. Just slightly more interactive and waaaaay less stupid. But still stupid on its own, nonetheless.

In that case, I think I'm out.

R* should've ported GTAV for the Switch instead. That would guaranteed sell alone for the Switch more than L.A. Noire rerelease for all the consoles combined.

tassletine

Anyone planning to play this again (or for the first time) should definitely turn on the B&W filter as it adds a lot of atmosphere to the game. I'm pretty sure this was how it was intended to be viewed as a lot of attention has been paid to noir lighting - something that doesn't come across when viewed in colour.

Anyone planning to play this again (or for the first time) should definitely turn on the B&W filter as it adds a lot of atmosphere to the game. I'm pretty sure this was how it was intended to be viewed as a lot of attention has been paid to noir lighting - something that doesn't come across when viewed in colour.

Didn't know that was an option, thanks, I will definitely test it.

BTW, will there be re-reviews of the game?

I was waiting for that! Still not sure if I should get it on PS4 or on Switch - any suggestions?

I went for Switch over PS4 or One - it's going to be either very useful or just more novel to play it away from the TV, and when docked, there's gyro and HD Rumble. Given the game's origins I'm sure it'll hold up technically, too, like how Lego City's port fared.

chechi

I went for Switch over PS4 or One - it's going to be either very useful or just more novel to play it away from the TV, and when docked, there's gyro and HD Rumble. Given the game's origins I'm sure it'll hold up technically, too, like how Lego City's port fared.

Thanks - going for the Switch-Version as well now! Along with a new MicroSD-Card i guess....

Not Drake

In the original game, whilst interrogating a suspect Cole had three options. Truth, Doubt or Lie. In the remaster these have been updated to 'Good cop', 'Bad Cop' or 'Accuse'. This was mainly because when using 'Doubt' in the first game Cole would fly off the handle and become an angry asshole.

The >doubt meme is dead. I'm conflicted.

...aaanyway I liked the game on PS3 when it launched. I might pick it up for Switch once the price drops. Curious to see how it runs there considering the open world nature of the game.

Played the half an hour of this. I only ever played the first case and a bit of the second case on PS3.

It looks like native 720p in portable mode. Load times are fast. The lighting seems good but it’s been so long since I played it on PS3 so I’m not sure how it compares to the original release. Based on stuff like the Lego City port I doubt there have been any cutbacks though. The dynamic cast shadows are there, including those from your torch light.

HD Rumble implementation is very good, you get different degrees of feedback depending on how you examine objects and whether there are clues nearby.

You can also play the game entirely with the touchscreen (ie tablet sans joy-con). If you wanted to use them to complement the main game they are fairly well considered. For example you can tap the map at the bottom left to expand it, and you can pinch to zoom to change the camera instead of using the directional buttons. Haven’t tried the motion controls or seen the game docked.

It looks great in black and white, by the way. The nighttime scenes are also clearer in portable mode played this way.

DKPOWPOW

Been feeling like re-buying this for Switch, but the $50 tag seems a bit steep. Hoping for a sale maybe for the holidays, I liked what I played on 360.

Top Bottom