• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Noire Switch details: Touchscreen control, Gyro aim, 1080p docked, 720p handheld

nubbe

Mature and insightful. You do know that Switch is NOT running a full scale Tegra x1?

the x1 has a slight advantage over the Jaguar core for core... but PS4 and Xbone has more of them

The Cell is actually stronger than the PS4 Jaguar too...

I played the original but never the DLC, is th DLC meaty or sparse? I could go back in for decent DLC....
Five full cases as DLC, perfectly integrated into the story, most of which are pretty good. Vice alone contains arguably the best case in the entire game (The Naked City) and one of the worst (Reefer Madness).

z0m3le

Banned
Mature and insightful. You do know that Switch is NOT running a full scale Tegra x1?

A15 and Jaguar CPU cores traded blows pretty closely, here is an old geekbench result:
FRgaJQG.png

That is a 4 core Jaguar @ 1.5ghz vs an ARM A15 4 core @ 1.8ghz. https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/5

ARM A57 sees a 50% to 100% increase over A15, so even at 1ghz, Switch compares well to current gen consoles, the problem here is that developers have access to 3 cores on Switch and 6 cores on PS4, but they are close in performance per core, and much better than 360 cores.

on average the Switch cores should perform like jaguar cores clocked at ~1.3ghz roughly.

c0de

A15 and Jaguar CPU cores traded blows pretty closely, here is an old geekbench result:

That is a 4 core Jaguar @ 1.5ghz vs an ARM A15 4 core @ 1.8ghz. https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/5

ARM A57 sees a 50% to 100% increase over A15, so even at 1ghz, Switch compares well to current gen consoles, the problem here is that developers have access to 3 cores on Switch and 6 cores on PS4, but they are close in performance per core, and much better than 360 cores.

on average the Switch cores should perform like jaguar cores clocked at ~1.3ghz roughly.

XBO and PS4 use up to 7 cores nowadays.

knerl

he's either trolling or really clueless.
Enough with this shit. Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better. It is mobile tech after all. I'm asking. Hence the question marks. Switch isn't running a Tegra X1 at 1:1 clock speeds and it doesn't utilize all cores last I heard. If it was it's another story, but this isn't the case. That leaves the question of how much power is actually available. Sure it can run on it. Just trying to speculate on how many things that have to be scaled down from existing versions and what resolution you could expect.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Enough with this shit. Just because it's newer doesn't mean it's better. It is mobile tech after all. I'm asking. Hence the question marks. Switch isn't running a Tegra X1 at 1:1 clock speeds and it doesn't utilize all cores last I heard. If it was it's another story, but this isn't the case. That leaves the question of how much power is actually available. Sure it can run on it. Just trying to speculate on how many things that have to be scaled down from existing versions and what resolution you could expect.

"Just asking questions"™

z0m3le

Banned
XBO and PS4 use up to 7 cores nowadays.

We were talking about GTAV. Also most developers do not go that wide with their code, and I thought PS4 had limited use of the 7th core for developers anyways?

If we are measuring Switch's CPU, it has less to do when doing draw calls, which should help those first 3 cores. Switch has a 4th core and we've seen Nintendo willing to allow access to Wii U's 3rd core in the past with things like Zelda, so it is possible we might see them do the same with Switch, but unless it gets a clock boost, it will still fall behind previous consoles.

A future Switch revision though, could have a higher clock and better architecture (A72 or A73 for instance) to compete better with future Playstation or Xbox consoles.

We were talking about GTAV. Also most developers do not go that wide with their code, and I thought PS4 had limited use of the 7th core for developers anyways?

If we are measuring Switch's CPU, it has less to do when doing draw calls, which should help those first 3 cores. Switch has a 4th core and we've seen Nintendo willing to allow access to Wii U's 3rd core in the past with things like Zelda, so it is possible we might see them do the same with Switch, but unless it gets a clock boost, it will still fall behind previous consoles.

A future Switch revision though, could have a higher clock and better architecture (A72 or A73 for instance) to compete better with future Playstation or Xbox consoles.

But is the 360 CPU surely more powerful?

z0m3le

Banned
But is the 360 CPU surely more powerful?

PS3's CPU was a single core with some spe cores around it for GPGPU, that single core with double thread is far inferior to what all 3 current systems offer per core. I haven't seen comparisons with 360 cpu to Jaguar or A15 cores, but I'd suspect that the latter beat around the Xenon without breaking a sweat.

knerl

My god, stop!
So it's not valid to point out that numbers based on the same full scale chip doesn't represent what Switch can do? Fuck's wrong with you? Might be better to explain or show a thing or two instead of using master suppression techniques.

I just want to know what ballpark it really is in. All I've seen so far are estimates compared to similarly powerful chips that still don't give us a real representation.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Rocket League doesn't really require lower speeds though. CPU in 360 is surely more powerful than that in Switch.
Things are far more complicated than that.

Short answer: Xenon has more flops and less everything else than switch cpu. Now consider those flops are on-paper, and things become even more complicated.

Didn’t play this game and it’s one that I wanted to play now I finally get my chance with the switch version perfect place for it for me personally.

J@hranimo

Banned
knerl did a good job somewhat derailing this thread lol.

Sounds good. I'll hopefullly be able to grab this in November. Too many games! Might have to start using my Best Buy GCU $5 certificates by then.

GTAV is far too CPU heavy for Switch no?
Also. Would be horrible without analogue triggers. Solvable using the sticks and modifiers though I suppose.

Gta 5 is on the 360/ps3 the switch is more powerful than those consoles. What about this don't you understand? loool why do people forget that gta 5 is a last gen game just like la noire.

I completed gta 5 on the 360 and it was awesome despite being last gen.

Gta 5 is on the 360/ps3 the switch is more powerful than those consoles. What about this don't you understand? loool why do people forget that gta 5 is a last gen game just like la noire.

It's because "CPU in 360 is surely more powerful than that in Switch."

LaNaranja

I never played this but can anyone say if it is similar to Heavy Rain from a gameplay perspective? I really enjoyed playing that with the Move, and in my mind I am assuming that LA Noire with gyro would be the same sort of point and waggle game.

giapel

All I remember from LA Noire was some lovely crime scenes, some pointless driving(that could be skipped) and some really bad shooting. Never finished it though. I would double dip if the price is fair but honestly i would rather have a nice open(ish)world detective game. No shooting, no action, no pointers/markers/hud clutter. Just straight up investigation and deduction. Is there any such game?

I never played this but can anyone say if it is similar to Heavy Rain from a gameplay perspective? I really enjoyed playing that with the Move, and in my mind I am assuming that LA Noire with gyro would be the same sort of point and waggle game.
Not really tbh. Heavy rain is a bit onrails and a tighter experience. There are choices that somewhat matter.
This is more like driving around town to different crime scenes, interacting with items and people telltale style.talking to people you have to judge them and accuse them. Theres a handful of scripted missions that also have you chasing on wheels or not foot and some with shoot outs. Gyro, im assuming is the latter.
Sadly,
the story doesn't change at all regardless of what you choose.

All I remember from LA Noire was some lovely crime scenes, some pointless driving(that could be skipped) and some really bad shooting. Never finished it though. I would double dip if the price is fair but honestly i would rather have a nice open(ish)world detective game. No shooting, no action, no pointers/markers/hud clutter. Just straight up investigation and deduction. Is there any such game?

The sherlock holmes games are pretty decent. Though theyre not proper open world.

Resilient

10/10 thread. Great news regarding 1080p docked for LA Noire, plus some dude insinuating the 360 CPU stomps the Switch! Thanks GAF!

I really hope this sells and they decide to bring the first RDR to it.
As nice as it would be RDR is well-known to be a mess codebase wise. It's probably the main reason there hasn't been a PC/PS4/XBO port, let alone a Switch port.

Unless you mean Red Dead Revolver in which case why the hell not?

EvB

The PS3 and 360 CPUs were both very powerful. I imagine the difference is much smaller tha you think . It may even be the opposite of what you think

Chinner

Banned
Wow this is a really good port im surprised at the resolution. Pretty impressive although I won't be picking it up. The emotion engine in Ps2 is more powerful than the cpu in Switch.

shiyrley

Banned
GTAV is far too CPU heavy for Switch no?
Why in the name of fuck are you asking if a game that runs on PS3 and 360 is "too CPU heavy for Switch"

Like how in the actual hell does one ask that in a non sarcastic way
Also. Would be horrible without analogue triggers. Solvable using the sticks and modifiers though I suppose.
Ah yes,GTA V, the game 100% playable on KB+M, absolutely requires analog triggers.

Remember that time Rocket League wasn't ported to Switch because of the lack of analog triggers, too?

Ah yes, I also remember when Splatoon 2 on NX was impossible because of the lack of a second screen.

lul

Rayis

The PS3 and 360 CPUs were both very powerful. I imagine the difference is much smaller tha you think . It may even be the opposite of what you think
Do you sincerely believe the 360/ PS3 CPU's beat what's inside the Switch?

Top Bottom