• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L.A. Times: Raven And Sledgehammer Helping Finish Modern Warfare 3 For Fall Release

Dennis

Banned
Going to get this game for sure

I enjoyed COD MW, COD MW2 and CODBLOPS, so I will enjoy this.

MW2 > CODBLOPS > MW

DigiMish

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

COD players aren't as braindead as Activision would like to believe. Most Black Ops players know that it was made by the B studio and they'll know that MW3 is being made by some no name company this year. You can expect sales to be nowhere near Black Ops/MW2 levels.

Judging by your logic, Black Ops should have sold less than MW2 which is wrong. So your statement is wrong.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Serious?

WaW and Black Ops were both miles better than the clusterfuck that was MW2.
I know that. My post was in response to Mr. Brit saying that Treyarch is the B team and COD players are smart enough to know that and wouldn't buy the game because of it. I was saying that if that was the case, after World at War, people wouldn't buy Black Ops, because it is Treyarch developed. Which is far from reality seeing as how Black Ops was the biggest selling game last year. Meaning COD players don't give a shit as long as it has COD on the box.

Treyarch > IW based on the zombies mode alone.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Won't matter, they'll still release it on 10 different platforms and sell 20 million copies. It might matter to the CoD after that one, though.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MW2 as a game was a clusterfuck, so I don't see why the developers can't be in one either.

heringer said:
I enjoyed Black Ops, but I think I'm done with Call of Duty for at least 3 years.
I'll keep renting the games for the single player because I enjoy the mindless balls-to-the-wall action with scripted set pieces once a year, but I've never cared about the multiplayer (except for MW2's spec ops mode which I enjoyed and played through multiple times).

So bring it I say.

Xater

Usually these multi developer efforts end badly. Just thinking of two devs working together on the SP sounds like a nightmare. At least the MP might be decent with Raven at the helm.

Oh man I was really hoping Sledgehammer was going to be working on some kind of Space Call of Duty. =(

That would be a huge waste of talent to have them make a straight up MW game, as far as I'm concerned.

Xater

Grecco said:
Dont know why they didnt merge Raven with IW in the first place.

I doubt that would work out. One is in wisconsin the other in California. How many of the employees will be willing to move?

Grecco

Xater said:
I doubt that would work out. One is in wisconsin the other in California. How many of the employees will be willing to move?

With the way this industry has become volatile and studios closing left and right id think alot of them would prefer to keep their jobs. Merging talented fps developers would make sense to me.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought every Call of Duty until Black Ops. I get the appeal of the series, I loved Modern Warfare 1, but it hit it's saturation point for me at World of War and it was all downhill from there. From now on, I'll just rent.

Anyways, it's pretty shocking to see a studio as successful as Infinity Ward fall apart so abruptly. The sad truth is that it doesn't really matter, we've seen plenty of proof that the series can still be a hit with or without them. It's like they never existed.

Grecco said:
Dont know why they didnt merge Raven with IW in the first place.
You mean rename Raven to something like Infinity Ward West or actually just close the Raven studio and send anyone over that would go?

CitizenCope said:
Looking forward to it. Sorry uptight GAF.
It's really not a matter of being uptight. Why would I be happy that two devs that I like (well I'm giving Sledgehammer the benefit of the doubt for now, due to Glen "Dead Space" Schofield) have to work on a 3rd game in a series I don't like? Or is everyone uptight who doesn't agree with you?

Nizz

SolidSnakex said:
As long as you aren't playing BO on the PS3 or PC.
This. I haven't played Black Ops in maybe 2-3 weeks. Disappointed in how the PS3 version turned out.

I'm going with a wait and see approach to MW3. When it was the full IW team, I could count on the PS3 version being technically sound. With half the team gone, and with many chefs in the kitchen I'm not full of hope.

ElRenoRaven

Hmm this will be interesting to see. How many games with 3 cooks in the kitchen have been worth a crap? More so when two fo them are working on the single player. Not many that i can think of. Hell most that have more then two end up not so good.

ismaboof

Why are we excited that a gutted IW needs help to make their game? MW3 will come out in November, and I, like 8 million others, will buy it unless the multiplayer looks really, really shitty. How hard can it honestly be at this point to make a decent COD? All we basically want is new levels for multiplayer and maybe some tweaks.

Effect

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

COD players aren't as braindead as Activision would like to believe. Most Black Ops players know that it was made by the B studio and they'll know that MW3 is being made by some no name company this year. You can expect sales to be nowhere near Black Ops/MW2 levels.

Most COD players don't give a damn who is making the games as long as they look fun. The sales of Black Ops show this.

Xater

purple cobra said:
This. I haven't played Black Ops in maybe 2-3 weeks. Disappointed in how the PS3 version turned out.

I'm going with a wait and see approach to MW3. When it was the full IW team, I could count on the PS3 version being technically sound. With half the team gone, and with many chefs in the kitchen I'm not full of hope.

The lead engine guy actually left for Respawn....

129103291299629649.jpg

Who did not expect this to happen, its more like a DUH than a ow is that really happening.

Jex

V_Ben said:
Something about cooks and broth.
But many hands make light work!

The strategy of having multiple developers working on a game has worked for others, so it makes sense to see it employed here.

So Raven are solely responsible for the multiplayer then? I thought they were making map packs for Black Ops?

Just as long as they don't fuck the multiplayer up. That is the lifeblood of the franchise and all I care about.

quickwhips

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

this will be fun to quote when it sells more copies than black ops or at least the same amount.

1-D_FTW

I anxiously await the day when people talk about how the Treyarch version is the good version, and to skip the off years.

ElRenoRaven

quickwhips said:
this will be fun to quote when it sells more copies than black ops or at least the same amount.

Yea he was short sighted. Of course it will sell well. There are too many idiots out there who just buy it just based off older games. Where it will hurt them is future games in the series. People burned by it will be less inclined to buy other Call of Duty games after that.

Haunted

Mr_Brit said:
DOA.

Nope, pretty sure CoD players are every bit as braindead as Activision assumes them to be. They don't give a shit about A studios or B studios, or the game being actually good, or bringing something new to the table. They're happy if it's a small update that's not complete shit.

ismaboof said:
Why are we excited that a gutted IW needs help to make their game? MW3 will come out in November, and I, like 8 million others, will buy it unless the multiplayer looks really, really shitty. How hard can it honestly be at this point to make a decent COD? All we basically want is new levels for multiplayer and maybe some tweaks.
Case in point!

I mean, after all it's only 60$ 75$ 90$ with 2 map packs!

luffeN

SolidSnakex said:
Basically everyone that was really important to IW left for Respawn.
Do we know anything about the new Respawn game?

SolidSnakex said:
It's pretty amazing when you look at the list of people that left for Respawn. IW is really a shell of what they once were, so it's not surprising that they'd need a lot of help getting their next game out.
there could always be the case that equally skilled people take their places at IW, but we first have to see how MW3 turns out.

PsychoRaven said:
Yup. Anyone worth a damn said fuck you to Activision and left. Can't say I blame them too.

It's pretty amazing when you look at the list of people that left for Respawn. IW is really a shell of what they once were, so it's not surprising that they'd need a lot of help getting their next game out.

Nizz

Xater said:
The lead engine guy actually left for Respawn....
Yep, that's what I meant about half the IW team left. ;) Wasn't the lead engine guy Rayme who posts here once in a while?

quickwhips said:

It's difficult to say at this point, because Black Ops is the best-selling game in the series so far, no? If this is the peak, the following game sells less but it is still very successful and then the series tends to fall off a cliff after that. Anecdotally, I sense some fatigue with the whole franchise, so I might guess we've seen the peak of its popularity, but that doesn't mean Activision is going to take a bath with MW3 by any stretch. But the returns will start diminishing rapidly if it doesn't equal or best the previous games.

Top Bottom