• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire for PC is the ultimate shabby console port

hlhbk

I looked before I created this and couldn't find any topics relating to this so here it goes....

First let me say I picked up LA Noire on PS3 release day and loved it. That being said during my playthrough my PS3 died and I had to pickup a slim. This happened around the time that the PC version was announced. After listening to Rockstar say that it would not just be a port and would include all DLC I decided to wait to start another play through.

I guess after the crap Rockstar pulled with the terrible port of GTA IV and not releasing RDR for PC I shouldn't be shocked but the port is just terrible. See below:

1. The game is capped at 30 FPS due to the face tech, which is bad enough.
  2. They didn't work on making the game full screen at higher resolutions (1920x1200 and during the cut scenes take about haf the screen up with huge black bars on the top and bottom, and there are black bars during gameplay).
  3. Terrible pop in with buildings and such while driving.
  4. The worst offense by far is that the game is so unstable. I can be driving where stuff is loading at a fast pace and stay at a steady 30 FPS, but I might be running after someone and the game drops down to an unplayable 5 FPS.

Honestly if this is the quality we can expect from Rockstar bringing their games to PC I just hope they stop making PC games. Say what you want about other devs and publishers forsaking the PC, but none are worse than Rockstar.

King_Moc

Banned
GTA IV ran like crap too. There's no excuse for this, considering how long the ports have taken them and the gap in power between PC and consoles. Do they do these internally or outsource?

Gah. What's with all of these terrible Rockstar PC Ports...

YJIY2.jpg

I think it's fair to say that Rockstar values their presence on the consoles and all their focus is on the console experience. You should base your purchases accordingly.

hlhbk

RukusProvider said:
I think it's fair to say that Rockstar values their presence on the consoles and all their focus is on the console experience. You should base your purchases accordingly.

Then how about not lying through their teeth about how the game is not just a port and is being optimized for PC? That damn company wouldn't even still be on the map if it weren't for the PC.

RedSwirl

_dementia said:
No, DMC3 is

That was a Japanese console-to-PC conversion in an age where almost all of them were terrible. That was to be expected, and Capcom has seriously stepped up their game since.

stuminus3

hlhbk said:
[*]The game is capped at 30 FPS due to the face tech, which is bad enough.
This is... actually not the worst reason for a game to be capped at 30 FPS. It makes sense. As opposed to all those console ports that are capped at 30 FPS for absolutely no reason at all.

M3d10n

Was watching people play Mafia II on OnLive and was shocked at how much better it looks. The character models are insane (even if they don't have the same face tech).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What are your specs like? I have been planning on picking it up during the holidays ever since it was announced for the PC. I stopped playing it on the PS3 even though I was 5 hours or so in.

I don't mind the 30fps limitation if it's a technical limitation regarding the facial technology, but if it can't stay stable at 30fps, then I don't want it. The poor framerate and low resolution was what bothered me on the PS3.

hlhbk

stuminus3 said:
This is... actually not the worst reason for a game to be capped at 30 FPS. It makes sense. As opposed to all those console ports that are capped at 30 FPS for absolutely no reason at all.

While I agree that there is at least a reason for it to be capped I don't but that the rest of the game where there is actualy gameplay the game couldn't be 60 FPS. Hell the opening Rockstar movie, main menu and the loading screens are 60 FPS.

What pisses me off is that there's a decent chance that gaming "journalists" will completely ignore this when reviewing the game and just say it's a no frills console port instead of going into detail about what's wrong with the game.

Oh look at that: http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1212598p1.html

"The PC version can run at higher resolutions than the consoles, but you better have a beastly machine. L.A. Noire feels like it could use a bit more optimization, as even my considerably powerful work machine couldn't really handle it without keeping a lot of the settings on "Performance" instead of "Quality." That being said, even on Performance the game looks great, though it does run into a bit of the uncanny valley at times when the faces appear so lifelike while the bodies look more like character models from any number of other games. I also occasionally experienced stuttering frames, but they represent a minor annoyance at most. "

Kayo-kun

I was fearing something like this would happen. Most of the multiplatform games have their PC version as some sort of a cash-in port and dont even bother using the PC:s full potential to make it better.

hlhbk

Zefah said:
What are your specs like? I have been planning on picking it up during the holidays ever since it was announced for the PC. I stopped playing it on the PS3 even though I was 5 hours or so in.

I don't mind the 30fps limitation if it's a technical limitation regarding the facial technology, but if it can't stay stable at 30fps, then I don't want it. The poor framerate and low resolution was what bothered me on the PS3.

Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

While not goldy they are pretty good. I have tried running the game at 720P and changing the settings to performance based and nothing fixes the dropping to 5 FPS. I am running the latest drivers as well in windows 7 64 bit.

hlhbk said:
Then how about not lying through their teeth about how the game is not just a port and is being optimized for PC? That damn company wouldn't even still be on the map if it weren't for the PC.

History speaks better than marketing.

Even games releases day and date with console versions are poorly optimized. What makes you think a delayed version will get all this extra attention?

Well, this was Rockstar Leeds, a studio that specialized in portable games, doing a port from code made by an external developer (Team Bondi) that originally designed the game as a PS3 exclusive. Not exactly the ideal conditions for a good port.

Perhaps they should not have bothered . . . but I'm happy to see at least something instead of the nothing we got for RDR.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Atomski said:
Give it a couple weeks Rockstar will claim sales are awful on PC and its our fault.
yep shitty port on PC doesn't sell well ..no market for shitty ports on PC confirmed

hlhbk

speculawyer said:
Well, this was Rockstar Leeds, a studio that specialized in portable games, doing a port from code made by an external developer (Team Bondi) that originally designed the game as a PS3 exclusive. Not exactly the ideal conditions for a good port.

Perhaps they should not have bothered . . . but I'm happy to see at least something instead of the nothing we got for RDR.

If this is the quality we could have expected from a RDR port I am glad they didn't port it! That game is so amazing and it would have been a huge diservice to it for those who only got to play it on PC to get a terrible port!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
hlhbk said:
Intel Core I7 950 3.0 GHZ
ATI Radeon 5850
OCZ 4 GB PC 1600 RAM

While not goldy they are pretty good. I have tried running the game at 720P and changing the settings to performance based and nothing fixes the dropping to 5 FPS. I am running the latest drivers as well in windows 7 64 bit.

That sucks. My computer isn't much different (similar CPU, a bit better of a GPU, same RAM), so I would probably get similar results.

hlhbk

Atomski said:
Give it a couple weeks Rockstar will claim sales are awful on PC and its our fault.

I can already hear it now. "PC sales of LA Noire were so bad due to piracy GTA V will not be coming out for PC". Screw Rockstar!

Card Boy

Banned
WoodenLung said:
One of the screenshows below is the game on low. The other on high.

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/11/la-noire-pc-review/la-noire-pc-c.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/11/la-noire-pc-review/la-noire-pc-d.jpg[/IMG

and again

[IMG]http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/11/la-noire-pc-review/la-noire-pc-a.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2011/11/la-noire-pc-review/la-noire-pc-b.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Holy shit lol!

NBtoaster

It had only ~300 players on Steam on the day it was released. They just didn't care, releasing the same day as MW3. It's $90 here too.

WX3

hlhbk said:
I can already hear it now. "PC sales of LA Noire were so bad due to piracy GTA V will not be coming out for PC". Screw Rockstar!
Please do not let this be true! You are probably right though.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Maybe it's a good thing that RDR never came to pc.

Rage games look amazing on PC and this don't use it, and RDR was actually pretty good game unlike this horrible one they decided to port.

Clydefrog said:
Saints Row 2 is unplayable on the PC

Gentlemen of the Row fix so many bugs and make it very playable.

randomwab

Remember when Rockstar released good PC ports? They'd actually be massive improvements over the console versions and usually came in really nice boxes. I still think Max Payne 2 PC has one of the nicest retail boxes ever. And San Andreas had the weird hard cover manual/book thing. Oh Rockstar.

bigace33

King_Moc said:
GTA IV ran like crap too. There's no excuse for this, considering how long the ports have taken them and the gap in power between PC and consoles. Do they do these internally or outsource?
With the right hardware GTA 4 looks and plays amazing on PC. I have it on 360 and PC and the PC version kills it in every aspect.

DangerStepp

This isn't good news; I was half looking forward to playing it. :(

Maybe some mods will clean this up? Maybe get that rad GTA IV graphics mod on there? :p

While I would still buy RDR (again) if it was ever ported to the PC, this is still terrible. They simply took the console versions and pushed them onto a computer without any changes.

Top Bottom