• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch due to cartridges

Platy

As long as the digital one is cheaper... it makes for a more portable system

edit>
And of course this will also affect the digital price.

The digital versions of L.A. Noire for PS4, Xbox One, and Switch will go for $40 each. This information was apparently displayed on Rockstar's official website, though it appears the website has been updated since.

Brofield

$65 Canadian...oof

I mean, I don't mind paying that for a game that I've not picked up once, so technically it is new to me, but damn this Switch tax is getting pricey. I really hope the component parts for carts come down quickly so we can put it behind us. How long were 360 games charged an extra $10 in it's life cycle? I remember the King Kong game being an extra $10 as opposed to GC/Xbox/PS2

If true the game will end up costing $50 for a physical copy on Switch. That's quite expensive for a game released in 2011. It's still early into its life cycle, and we're already seeing more expensive physical games, and publishers who are releasing half assed physical games with missing content in order to ship games on low capacity cartridges (NBA2K18).

https://www.google.no/amp/s/www.gam...tly-more-expensive-on-nintendo-/1100-6453230/

Many people say this, but when it's a game they really care about the price doesn't matter. If it were Red Dead Redemption or something like that would you be saying the same thing?

No, you see, it's actually a discount because you're getting two versions of the game: Both a portable and home console version!

Rellik

Yeah we've been over this already with this game and others. @ZhugeEx even went into it the other day.

img_20170909_141348-9kra82.jpg

Nugg

Also: LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch digital store due to fuck you

EDIT: Looks like I'm wrong, thank god

styl3s

Many people say this, but when it's a game they really care about the price doesn't matter. If it were Red Dead Redemption or something like that would you be saying the same thing?
Red Dead Redemption is probably my favorite game of last generation and i wouldn't pay a penny over $30. $20 if it's just a straight port, $30 if it's a "definitive" edition has some work done to it.

I have too many games to play as it is to throw down $50 for a game from 2011.

Ridley327

20 years on and the Nintendo cartridge tax is still a thing

Flash media is always going to be more expensive than optical media. While it would be nice if Nintendo could negotiate prices down a bit further with their manufacturer, they can't get around that simple fact no matter how hard they try.

I think there's some rule about linking to this person's Twitter since he was a former GAF member, but this person who shall not be named (his description says he's an analyst, and he posts lots of sales data) said this:

If a publisher wants to put a game on a 32GB cart on Switch it costs 60% more for them then it would for a 50GB Blu-Ray on PS4/XB1.

Your game needs to be less than 8GB (because 8GB carts are cheaper) if you want to make the same margin as PS4/XB1 Blu-Ray disc.

Edit: Late. Oh well.

jdmonmou

No, you see, it's actually a discount because you're getting two versions of the game: Both a portable and home console version!
Yep, and don't forget the Switch version will have motion controls, touch screen controls, and HD Rumble. Features that won't be on the Xbox and PlayStation versions.

It's ok for me.

That rule from Nintendo is of course pure bs where physical games needs to have the same price as the digital versions but I'm just happy that they don't say it's digital only to sell it cheaper like other indie developer.

I'm just happy that I can get it physically.

Fiendcode

Superior media costs more.

I'd rather see publishers charge $10 more physically a spring for 32GB than follow the examples of NBA2K18 and RERev Collection and force large downloads.

OmegaDL50

Also: LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch digital store due to fuck you

The digital versions of L.A. Noire for PS4, Xbox One, and Switch will go for $40 each. This information was apparently displayed on Rockstar's official website, though it appears the website has been updated since.

It was said once already in this thread this is not the case especially since it's from the official press release, but I won't be surprised even after bolding the above, some folks will still be insistent that this will effect the digital price too. Of course since the website was updated. I wouldn't be surprised someone manages to overlook this.

DocSeuss

So to justify the $10 upcharge, 50GB Bluray discs must cost publishers $15+? Bullshit.

For the entire physical unit cost, including manufacturing, packing, shipping, etc? That sounds right, but it's been a long time since I looked at those numbers. Like... I haven't paid attention since last gen.

The cost of the big carts are a problem it seems. That said. No way am I paying $10 more for a game on other platforms and you arent even gonna add the remastered visuals. Nintendo sucks here but as a consumer I'm not accepting that price increase.

Gamezone

Gold Member
For the entire physical unit cost, including manufacturing, packing, shipping, etc? That sounds right, but it's been a long time since I looked at those numbers. Like... I haven't paid attention since last gen.

I didn't know it was less expensive to pack and ship Blu-rays.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Sounds about right - the digital version should cost the same then.
Yeah we've been over this already with this game and others. @ZhugeEx even went into it the other day.

Whats the source of this statements ?

Any chance the Nintendo Tax will eventually disappear later into the gen?

Usually the costs of cards goes down after a while....it was like this on past Nintendo handhelds.

Ridley327

It's not a tax. Carts are more expensive than optical. It's really as simple as that.

Yep. Though prices will eventually come down on the 16GB and 32GB cards, we're going to do this song and dance again when games come out that would need a 64GB card, and then again with 128GB, and so on.

Usually the costs of cards goes down after a while....it was like this on past Nintendo handhelds.

Yeah, but that probably still won't help much long term. Games are only getting larger. By the time 32GB carts come down to a reasonable amount, devs might very well need 64GB ones while the costs of pressing an optical disc won't change much at all.

Asd202

Yeah, but that probably still won't help much long term. Games are only getting larger. By the time 32GB carts come down to a reasonable amount, devs might very well need 64GB ones while the costs of pressing an optical disc won't change much at all.

Yeah games that are over 32GB are pretty common right now so I wouldn't be surprised if we are going to be see not a full game on 32GB cart to cut costs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free

Media prices going down will always help....Right now 64gb arent even feasible on the table for Switch releases - 2 years from now they might be. 16-32gb might be the standard size or at least less expensive than nowadays.

Also ...nothing against the Switch but the AAA releases that target +50gb and nothing less likely arent in consideration for this plattform anyway.

Where are you getting that?

The 60% increase in cost from that tweet is likely a bullshit, made-up number.

I don't doubt that carts cost more, but I think trying to quantify the actual cost more is ridiculous. There are other factors in how things are priced, including pricing based on what the market will bear. The $10 upcharge is just a convenient round number that publishers know some people will pay, and it covers their additional cost in manufacturing carts instead of discs.

jacobeid

Banned
These cart prices suck hard, but it sounds like digital copies will be the same on all platforms so I'm not going to be upset.

Asd202

If Nintendo really cares about 3rd parties they'd subsidise these costs

lol not happening.

These cart prices suck hard, but it sounds like digital copies will be the same on all platforms so I'm not going to be upset.

If retailers get a wind of this they will be angry and may stop taking in Switch carts or buy less total. The reason digital and physical is the same right now on PS4 and Xbox is to keep retailers happy. I don't see digital copies costing less than physical being common practice on Switch from 3rd party publishers.

Mameshiba

Neo Member
If what this Daniel Ahmad says is true, the 32gb Cards are much cheaper that I expected.
A 50 GB non-rewritable Blu-Ray costs around 2 Euro, and they probably are quite a bit cheaper if you order huge amounts at once. That would mean the price increase is below 1 Euro, even less if you factor in the smaller cases, which should result in cheaper shipping and storage costs.

OmegaDL50

Game sizes are large as a result of uncompressed audio and high resolution textures and shader data but usually these are the games that have a lot of pre rendered cutscenes / CGI as well.

Most of the 50 GB+ games on the PS4 and XBO for instance deal with a lot of realistic visuals. Stuff like Forza, GoW, Horizon, Uncharted 4, being good examples.

I don't think there will be many games on the Switch if any that have the level of detail in those games and thus the size requirements as a result of the texture data and uncompressed audio.

I think at the most the 64GB Carts will be the absolute upper limit, but when it comes cost efficient to actually need such a cart of that size we'd probably be close to end of the Switch life cycle in the next 5 or so years anyways.

Top Bottom